RIP to BT Garner of MindRec.com... He passed away early 2023 from health problems. BT was one of the top PCE homebrew developers and founder of the OG Turbo List, then PCECP.com. Condolences to family and friends.
IMG
IMG
Main Menu

6 Button Controller?

Started by crazydean, 05/13/2015, 12:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazydean

Hey guys, I just bought an RGB modded PCE Duo a couple weeks ago, and I am enjoying it a lot more than I thought I would. I think it has become my favorite console. This forum has been a big help, too, since this really is the best resource for NEC consoles.

Anyway, I have heard that the Hori 6-putton pad is the best 6-button controller, but I haven't found a need for one, yet. Is it just used for Street Fighter II? Also, what is your favorite controller? I am really happy with the original 2-button NEC pad that I have.

Gredler

Welcome fellow newcomer :) I haven't gotten a six button pad yet, and I didn't know they existed until I came to this forum. I had a TG-16 growing up, so all I knew of was the two button stock pad. Since getting back into playing older games on their consoles, I've been able to play more than my fill of games using the two button and stock TG-16 games. I recently started looking into upgrading to something that will play CD's, and that's when I started looking into 6 button pads, and from what I can tell yes they're mostly for fighters. I hear there are some games that use 3 buttons, and some that aren't fighters that use 6, but for the majority of 6 button games it will be fighters. That being said, there seems to be quite a few fighters aside from SF2, so it's not like the controller will be for just one game.

I am excited to hear from the vets on this question, nice one :)

DragonmasterDan

Quote from: crazydean on 05/13/2015, 12:58 PMHey guys, I just bought an RGB modded PCE Duo a couple weeks ago, and I am enjoying it a lot more than I thought I would. I think it has become my favorite console. This forum has been a big help, too, since this really is the best resource for NEC consoles.

Anyway, I have heard that the Hori 6-putton pad is the best 6-button controller, but I haven't found a need for one, yet. Is it just used for Street Fighter II? Also, what is your favorite controller? I am really happy with the original 2-button NEC pad that I have.
There's a few other fighting games that use it.

I have the NEC Avenue 6 and the Hori six button fighter pad and STRONGLY prefer the Hori. The d-pad on the regular TG16/PCE pads is a bit tighter than on the avenue 6 which is just too lopse..
The Hori uses the cross shaped Nintendo style d-pad.

Also if a certain Necromancer could move this thread to the PC engine board it would fit in better.
--DragonmasterDan

NecroPhile

There's more than just SFII that uses a six button controller: clicky.

Even though I don't own one (or even used one), I'm inclined to say the Hori pad is the best of the six button pads; the Ave 6's d-pad makes my thumb sore and its bottom edges wear on my pinkies, and the RX pad's d-pad just feels weird.  As a result, most of my gaming is done with a wireless pad.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

CrackTiger

2-button Turbo/Duo/PCE pads are the best for playing 97% of the library. The AVE Pad 6 is great for games that use the extra buttons. The Hori might be prefered by some for fighting games, but either way you can't lose and if price is a factor, just get an Ave Pad 6.

I have one Hori FC and one Ave Pad 6 so we can try both during the odd chance someone plays PCE fighting games with me.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

deubeul

I strongly prefer the Ave 6 but hey, it's the one I "grew up" with and I always hated the snes pad. The D-pad is the best with the saturn model2 one, and it's indestructible.

SignOfZeta

Unless you *really* want to play fighters on PCE specifically, most of which are available on systems that already come with a six button pad standard, I wouldn't even bother. It's true that SFII' is mostly unplayable with a standard PCE pad, but that only matters if you really need to play that specific version of the game. The SNK fighters also pretty much require it (some more than others), but if you're like me you have those games on five other systems already.

Save the cash and buy some games.

EDIT: I say "I wouldn't even bother" but the truth is the opposite. I have all that stuff, all those PCE ports of the Neo games even though I have an MVS, etc. I have an Avenue 6. Buy this stuff if you need it for fun time, but there are so many games that are unique to PCE that don't need it. I play those mostly.
IMG

GohanX

I've never used the Hori, but I like the Ave 6 with SF2.

imparanoic

problem is that the rx and hori fighting command (based on japan ebay US$1 start , when to US$30 plus postage) are quite rare, expect premium prices , but the ave 6 is relatively cheap ( which I have)

unfortunately, some of the rarer hori joypad can be really expensive, ie,  hori gamecube digital around US$130-150, so hori fighting command pc engine US$30-40 is not too bad

Gredler

I am having a package sent from japan via ebay, so I started bidding on a ave 6 controller and a hori fight controller both, set my max bid at 25$ for both. The ave six pad ended up selling for over 30$ (I stopped watching it at that point) but no one ever bid over 20 on the hori fight controller, so I was able to get it for 20 + the additional cost with the package I'm already receiving. I am fine paying 20$ for a solid controller, considering I would have to pay 70$ or whatever if I wanted another PS4 controller. Nice touchpad, bro.

ClodBusted

That Hori GameCube controller is awesome for Resident Evil and Soul Calibur II. I'm so glad I got mine back in the day at regular prices. I have to confess though that the feel & quality of a Nintendo SFC controller is ever so slightly better, since the Hori one has those (unnecessary to me) bulges on the back and a slightly stiffer d-pad.

imparanoic

Quote from: Gredler on 05/14/2015, 12:04 AMI am having a package sent from japan via ebay, so I started bidding on a ave 6 controller and a hori fight controller both, set my max bid at 25$ for both. The ave six pad ended up selling for over 30$ (I stopped watching it at that point) but no one ever bid over 20 on the hori fight controller, so I was able to get it for 20 + the additional cost with the package I'm already receiving. I am fine paying 20$ for a solid controller, considering I would have to pay 70$ or whatever if I wanted another PS4 controller. Nice touchpad, bro.
I have got a hori flight stick one for ps2, it's nice, well made and compact, goes for around US$20 plus US$15-20 shipping, but the rubber surface has deteriorated, I used a lot of isopropyl alcohol to clean the stick and it's not sticky now, feels like plastic

I have also a ps1 dual analog stick from hori for the robot/mecha games.

it's noted that pc engine hardware are pricey due to the demand, whether from 3 button ave to rare hori fighting command, worse for really rare items such as hori multi fighting

Pokun

I'm really picky with my d-pads and I'm a sucker for Nintendo's cross-pads, so a Hori is what I'm going to get. That said, the d-pad for NEC's controllers are quite good (I like that the cross-shaped part is raised significantly over the circle-shaped part so it's not so easy to hit diagonals by mistake), so I'm considering getting a Avenue 6 as well so that I can test both (you need two 6-button controllers for fighting games anyway).

Plus cross-pads are not really ideal for hadouken type of moves so maybe the Avenue 6 is even better for fighting games (can't beat an arcade stick though)?

BTW, is there any games that support 6 buttons for more than two players?

NecroPhile

Quote from: Pokun on 05/14/2015, 02:45 PMBTW, is there any games that support 6 buttons for more than two players?
Nope.

crazydean

Well, I'm not much into fighting games, so it doesn't look like a 6 button controller is for me.

There is a wireless controller by NEC on ebay for $60. Is this the one you use, Necro? Is it superior to the original? What is battery life like?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PC-Engine-WIRELESS-CONTROLLER-PAD-PI-PD12-NES-Official-Cordless-JAPAN-2009-/360985188451?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item540c64d863

NecroPhile

Yep, that's the one I use, though that's just a pad and you'd need the receiver to go with it.  They feel pretty much the same as a normal pad, for they use the same d-pad, buttons, and rubber bits; the only real difference is they're heavier and there's a hump on the back for batteries.  As for battery life, they last a long time (months) as long as you remember to turn it off.

DragonmasterDan

Quote from: Pokun on 05/14/2015, 02:45 PMI'm really picky with my d-pads and I'm a sucker for Nintendo's cross-pads, so a Hori is what I'm going to get.
This is the right move.

QuoteThat said, the d-pad for NEC's controllers are quite good (I like that the cross-shaped part is raised significantly over the circle-shaped part so it's not so easy to hit diagonals by mistake), so I'm considering getting a Avenue 6 as well so that I can test both (you need two 6-button controllers for fighting games anyway).
I actually modded my Avenue six by putting the plastic Dpad piece from a third party Genesis pad in there. It's a little tighter but still nowhere near as nice as a regular two button TG or PCE pad's dpad.
--DragonmasterDan

mickcris

Quote from: crazydean on 05/14/2015, 04:26 PMWell, I'm not much into fighting games, so it doesn't look like a 6 button controller is for me.

There is a wireless controller by NEC on ebay for $60. Is this the one you use, Necro? Is it superior to the original? What is battery life like?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PC-Engine-WIRELESS-CONTROLLER-PAD-PI-PD12-NES-Official-Cordless-JAPAN-2009-/360985188451?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item540c64d863
you need the receiver for that, which i think is really expensive.  wont work without it.

edit:
i missed there was a second page and necromancer already said this. :)

Pokun

Quote from: DragonmasterDan on 05/14/2015, 04:51 PM
Quote from: Pokun on 05/14/2015, 02:45 PMI'm really picky with my d-pads and I'm a sucker for Nintendo's cross-pads, so a Hori is what I'm going to get.
This is the right move.

QuoteThat said, the d-pad for NEC's controllers are quite good (I like that the cross-shaped part is raised significantly over the circle-shaped part so it's not so easy to hit diagonals by mistake), so I'm considering getting a Avenue 6 as well so that I can test both (you need two 6-button controllers for fighting games anyway).
I actually modded my Avenue six by putting the plastic Dpad piece from a third party Genesis pad in there. It's a little tighter but still nowhere near as nice as a regular two button TG or PCE pad's dpad.
I see, so the 2-button controllers are better than Avenue 6. I will probably mostly use the Hori pad then. I look forward to using it in games like Ys IV as well. And I heard they can be used like the 3-button controller too, mapping SELECT or RUN to button III.

Quote from: guest on 05/14/2015, 03:02 PM
Quote from: Pokun on 05/14/2015, 02:45 PMBTW, is there any games that support 6 buttons for more than two players?
Nope.
Then I guess two is enough for me. Unless someone makes a super cool new game that requires five 6-button pads. :wink:

Bardoly

I really enjoy using the 6-button Hori pad.

T2KFreeker

You know, after reading through this thread, i never have been able to understand the hate for the Avenue Pad 6. it really isn't that bad of a pad and works quite nicely. I know it isn't a Genesis 6 button pad, but it still is so0lid. I like it much better than the Super NES pad, as a great example.
END OF LINE.

PCEngineHell

I never had any issues with the AVE Pad 6. I need to pick another one up eventually. Personally, I actually like it more then the Sega 6 button pad.

Dicer

I had hori's back with my original Duo, and they were more than fine, but I have ave6's now and I really like them...

YMMV too bad there isn't a way to get your hands on each beforehand, both are fine pads though can't really go wrong either way.

T2KFreeker

Quote from: PCEngineHell on 08/13/2015, 11:50 PMI never had any issues with the AVE Pad 6. I need to pick another one up eventually. Personally, I actually like it more then the Sega 6 button pad.
That's kind of always been my though, however. I LOVE the set up of the Ave 6 Pad. I do think the D-Pad itself though is a bit nice on the Genesis 6 Button pad. I do like the Ave 6 Pad though. Excellent stuff.
END OF LINE.

Duo_R

Here is a video of my modded Avenue 6, please subscribe for future projects.
Ave 6 - 3 Button mod
Add my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/sOg93QUtlg0
For sale trade list: https://tinyurl.com/2csm7kq

NightWolve

That should be my Turbo Express! :)

esteban

Quote from: Duo_R on 08/14/2015, 06:20 PMHere is a video of my modded Avenue 6, please subscribe for future projects.

Ave 6 - 3 Button mod
Very nice.
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

imparanoic

Quote from: Duo_R on 08/14/2015, 06:20 PMHere is a video of my modded Avenue 6, please subscribe for future projects.

Ave 6 - 3 Button mod
I noted that you modded/replaced your screen with a  bigger one, that's nice!!

GreatBlue Swirlof99

They have 6 and 3 button controllers?  :shock:
The Dreamcast is still alive, so go play it before it kills your family!

esteban

Quote from: GreatBlueSwirlof99 on 08/17/2015, 05:07 AMThey have 6 and 3 button controllers?  :shock:
AVE 6 was introduced with the launch of Street Fighter II' on PCE.
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

GreatBlue Swirlof99

Lol 'strip fighter' must get that game! :D
The Dreamcast is still alive, so go play it before it kills your family!

pissengine

i've read that sega saturn pads could be modded for pc engine use. does anyone know about this? would this add any input lag..?

Duo_R

You can hack pretty much up any controller with any system you want with enough work. I will be featuring a video soon of a Saturn controller hooked up to PC Engine. Subscribe to my youtube channel if you want to follow it.
Add my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/sOg93QUtlg0
For sale trade list: https://tinyurl.com/2csm7kq