@GTV reviews the Cosmic Fantasy 1-2 Switch collection by Edia, provides examples of the poor English editing/localization work. It's much worse for CF1. Rated "D" for disappointment, finding that TurboGrafx CF2 is better & while CF1's the real draw, Edia screwed it up...
Main Menu

Porting Gameboy titles to the PCE question

Started by BigusSchmuck, 05/19/2015, 04:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigusSchmuck

How hard would it be to port Gameboy titles to the PC Engine? Is it a similar language like the NES or would you have to start from scratch? If it's easily possible, Metroid 2 would be sweet in color. :)
Just a weird thought.

elmer

Quote from: BigusSchmuck on 05/19/2015, 04:06 PMHow hard would it be to port Gameboy titles to the PC Engine? Is it a similar language like the NES or would you have to start from scratch? If it's easily possible, Metroid 2 would be sweet in color. :)
Just a weird thought.
It's a totally different processor from the PCE's 6502-based architecture ... it's somewhere between an 8080 and a Z80.

The Gameboy hardware is pretty simple, but you're talking of a programming task that's more like the complexity of Aladar's Bubble Bobble port, or Old Rover's arcade ports ... or worse ... i.e. it'd have to be a real labor of love.

Oh ... and to make things even more obnoxious ... a lot of Gameboy games stored stuff compressed in ROM, which could add another layer of complexity onto everything.

Then you'd also need to find an artist willing to completely upgrade the graphics into color.

So ... it could happen, it just needs a programmer & artist who thinks that it'd be fun ... but don't hold your breath.

BigusSchmuck

Quote from: elmer on 05/19/2015, 05:39 PM=D>
Quote from: BigusSchmuck on 05/19/2015, 04:06 PMHow hard would it be to port Gameboy titles to the PC Engine? Is it a similar language like the NES or would you have to start from scratch? If it's easily possible, Metroid 2 would be sweet in color. :)
Just a weird thought.
It's a totally different processor from the PCE's 6502-based architecture ... it's somewhere between an 8080 and a Z80.

The Gameboy hardware is pretty simple, but you're talking of a programming task that's more like the complexity of Aladar's Bubble Bobble port, or Old Rover's arcade ports ... or worse ... i.e. it'd have to be a real labor of love.

Oh ... and to make things even more obnoxious ... a lot of Gameboy games stored stuff compressed in ROM, which could add another layer of complexity onto everything.

Then you'd also need to find an artist willing to completely upgrade the graphics into color.

So ... it could happen, it just needs a programmer & artist who thinks that it'd be fun ... but don't hold your breath.
That's kind of what I was afraid of. All things considering, it would be nice to have Metroid 2 in color on the PCE but if it's more of a hassle than what it's worth then meh. I would however, donate copious amounts of cash to get this project going if someone was willing to give it a shot..

o.pwuaioc

BigusSchmuck

ParanoiaDragon

I recall talking to Bonknuts several years ago about it.  I do remember him saying there would be difficulties, though, (don't quote me) I think he did have interest in a couple titles.  The first GB Batman I seem to recall talking about with him, as far as my memory serves.  Maybe it was a fairly simple game, I don't exactly recall.
IMG

CrackTiger

Metroid II would likely be easier to recreate through Tom's NES-to-PCE method, by expanding and upgrading the original NES Metroid.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

ClodBusted

Well, there's already a fan-made remake of Metroid II in 16 bit style.

BigusSchmuck

Quote from: guest on 05/21/2015, 01:34 AMWell, there's already a fan-made remake of Metroid II in 16 bit style.
Right, but it isn't on the PCE. :P

CrackTiger

I believe that the main Metroid II remake isn't even for consoles, let alone PCE.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

VenomMacbeth

I would love to see a Metroid game on all the non-tendo 16-bit consoles. 

I've had the idea in my head for awhile for a Mega Drive Metroid, where all the sprites are pre-rendered & all the space bugs explode with gratuitous amounts of goo & gore.  Somewhere between Doom Troopers & Blackthorne 32x, only much better than both combined.
Quote from: Gogan on 08/01/2013, 09:54 AMPlay Turbografx.
Play the Turbografx. PLAY
THE TURBOGRAFX!!!!!!

Buh buh buh, I have almost all teh games evar.  I R TEH BESTEST COLLECTR!!

BigusSchmuck

Quote from: VenomMacbeth on 05/21/2015, 01:13 PMI would love to see a Metroid game on all the non-tendo 16-bit consoles. 

I've had the idea in my head for awhile for a Mega Drive Metroid, where all the sprites are pre-rendered & all the space bugs explode with gratuitous amounts of goo & gore.  Somewhere between Doom Troopers & Blackthorne, only much better than both combined.
+1000000000
I love this idea :)

esteban

We don't need Metroid on PCE, we have Turrican on TG-16.
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

Keith Courage

Metroid is sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much better than Turrican.

BigusSchmuck

Quote from: Keith Courage on 05/21/2015, 11:52 PMMetroid is sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much better than Turrican.
Uh yeah. There is a reason there are so many of them and only 6 Turricans. Not to say that they are bad games or anything but I tend to like Metroid a bit better. Just thought Metroid 2 would be a good candidate to be on the Turbo or maybe some other gameboy games?

o.pwuaioc

If I knew how to program for the PCE, I'd make a Super Metroid equivalent. There aren't enough games like Super Metroid, and the so-called Metroidvanias aren't as good, especially after SotN.

Pokun

Aria of Sorrow is comparable to SotN, IMHO.

esteban

In case anybody was confused: Turrican is superior to Metroid.

Fact.

Dicer

Quote from: esteban on 05/22/2015, 04:26 PMIn case anybody was confused: Turrican is superior to Metroid.

Fact.
As much as I love me some Factor 5/Amiga Euro games, lol just no...

esteban

I can't even troll any more.

Metroid is a billion-zillion times better than Turrican.

METROID DOES WHAT TURRICAN'T

IMG

SmokeMonster

Quote from: guest on 05/21/2015, 01:34 AMWell, there's already a fan-made remake of Metroid II in 16 bit style.
What is the remake called? I'd be interested in trying it.

ClodBusted

AM2R:
http://metroid2remake.blogspot.de/?m=0

If you encounter input lag, try turning V-Sync off ingame.

BigusSchmuck

Quote from: guest on 05/22/2015, 09:08 PMAM2R:
http://metroid2remake.blogspot.de/?m=1

Oh wow its for Windows. Still, we needs it on the PCE! :P I'm curious on what our programmers have to say on the prospects of even attempting this.

_Paul

ClodBusted

Quote from: guest on 05/22/2015, 09:08 PMAM2R:
http://metroid2remake.blogspot.de/?m=0

Fix'd the link from mobile site to regular website with the demo download.

BigusSchmuck

Quote from: esteban on 05/22/2015, 05:17 PMI can't even troll any more.

Metroid is a billion-zillion times better than Turrican.

METROID DOES WHAT TURRICAN'T

IMG
I will admit that Turrican 2's music is legendary. Especially this mix:

esteban

Turrican's music is lovely. No complaints there.

I even love Hueselbeckinridge's PCE Red Book contributions more than I should (Jim Power).

technozombie

A PCE port of this game would be cool as I never beat it. Everything was too samey looking and I got frustrated with it. I was thinking that Metroid 2 was one of the games that had enhanced color when used on the gameboy color but I was wrong. I did find this interesting piece of info on the wiki though.

"Nintendo R&D1 was also involved in developing the Game Boy Color, an upgrade to the original Game Boy with a color screen. Nintendo of America's Dan Owsen noted that Nintendo R&D1 included a special "Metroid palette" in the Game Boy Color's hardware, which "makes Metroid II look really, really nice on Game Boy Color", remarking that this made the game's graphics comparable to the original Metroid on the Nintendo Entertainment System"

ClodBusted

I almost beat the game ten years ago, but couldn't get past the final boss due to a lack of missile and energy tanks.

With some emulators, you can take advantage of how the GBC handles player sprite, enemy sprite and background objects for monochrome GB games. This way you can create a 12 colour palette that all can be displayed at the same time, which helps Metroid II looking convincingly good if you choose colours wisely.

I wish there would have been a proper GBC release of Metroid II just as originally planned.

ParanoiaDragon

Yeah, there was a Metroid DX planned, not sure how far along it got though.

Another GB port that I think would be cool is Seiken Densetsu/Final Fantasy Adventure!  I know they did Sword of Mana on GBA which was more or less the same game, but it had it's short comings.
IMG

Pokun

Yeah it's a cool game but I much prefer the original Seiken Densetsu. I didn't like the changes to the story.

Quote from: technozombie on 06/01/2015, 03:55 AM"Nintendo R&D1 was also involved in developing the Game Boy Color, an upgrade to the original Game Boy with a color screen. Nintendo of America's Dan Owsen noted that Nintendo R&D1 included a special "Metroid palette" in the Game Boy Color's hardware, which "makes Metroid II look really, really nice on Game Boy Color", remarking that this made the game's graphics comparable to the original Metroid on the Nintendo Entertainment System"
Super Gameboy also has all these palettes that GBC has. It makes Samus' armour have the correct colours with yellow and red on the correct places, but it also makes all rocks and other things that uses the same colour as the helmet, red. I wouldn't say it's comparable to the NES version.

ClodBusted

Super Mario Land's default color scheme on the SGB is very nice to look at since it works good with both foreground as well as background. But it will still provide only four colours simultaneously on screen for monochrome GB games. Unlike the GBC which can get 12 colours on screen for the same games. But unfortunately doesn't support SGB's fully customizable palettes (only a dozen or so presets are available), that's why some non-SGB enhanced monochrome GB games can surprisingly shine on emulators where you can have 12 colours and custom palettes combined.

SGB enhanced games are another story though, too bad there's no support for SGB enhancements on the GBC, GBA and GB Player attachment for the GameCube. Even the downloadable GB games for 3DS (e.g. Donkey Kong) have no SGB enhancements support.

technozombie

Gameboy and GBC games actually look really good on the PSP.