OMG! ZIRIA! ZIRIA!! ZIRIA!!! IT ACTUALLY HAPPENED!! 34 YEARS LATER!! The epic/legendary Tengai Makyou/Far East of Eden: Ziria JRPG has finally been localized! Supper the Subtitler struck again! Simply unstoppable, NOTHING can prevent him from TOTAL PCECD localization domination!!!! WHACHA GONNA DO BROTHER?!?!
Main Menu

if the original metal gear was ported to pc-e/tg-16?

Started by imparanoic, 06/01/2015, 09:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

imparanoic

if the original metal gear was ported to pc-e/tg-16? from msx or nes, do you think it would made a big difference to sales in us and japan?

CrackTiger

The NES version wasn't popular in North America, so I don't think that a Turbo version would have helped. If the barrier of Konami PCE games being published in NA is going to be broken, there are already enough existing games like Drac X and Gradius II which would have had a much greater impact.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

imparanoic

Quote from: guest on 06/01/2015, 09:48 PMThe NES version wasn't popular in North America, so I don't think that a Turbo version would have helped. If the barrier of Konami PCE games being published in NA is going to be broken, there are already enough existing games like Drac X and Gradius II which would have had a much greater impact.
it seems that the original metal gear was moderately successful in the states, but after playing the first time on ps vita, it's seems so advanced compared to lets say bloody wolf or mercs.

but metal gear 2 : solid snake could of been a really big hit as it's like a slightly condensed version of metal gear solid thus way before it's time, especially if was a early release for tg16 lets say 1989

in regards to castlevania, the turbografx 16 /cd appears to waning in the states from 91 onwards anyway  and later releases on pc engine such as Castlevania: rondo of blood may not be enough prop up the market against the onslaught from SNES and Genesis.

esteban

Quote from: imparanoic on 06/01/2015, 09:57 PM
Quote from: guest on 06/01/2015, 09:48 PMThe NES version wasn't popular in North America, so I don't think that a Turbo version would have helped. If the barrier of Konami PCE games being published in NA is going to be broken, there are already enough existing games like Drac X and Gradius II which would have had a much greater impact.
it seems that the original metal gear was moderately successful in the states, but after playing the first time on ps vita, it's seems so advanced compared to lets say bloody wolf or mercs.

but metal gear 2 : solid snake could of been a really big hit as it's like a slightly condensed version of metal gear solid thus way before it's time, especially if was a early release for tg16 lets say 1989

in regards to castlevania, the turbografx 16 /cd appears to waning in the states from 91 onwards anyway  and later releases on pc engine such as Castlevania: rondo of blood may not be enough prop up the market against the onslaught from SNES and Genesis.
A lot of folks who knew about and played Metal Gear on NES were Konami fans, in my experience. I did not trust my limited $$$ on any random company. I trusted Konami...even if "Ultra" was plastered on the box.

Metal Gear was not nearly as popular a title, however, as other games. Back then you were 99.99% more likely to discuss Track n Field, Gradius, Contra, Castlevania , ha!

A more obvious "system-seller" for TG-16 would have been a remixed/upgraded version of NES Contra. It would be more appealing if it offered more than being a straight port of NES game (perhaps an exclusive level? Or exclusive boss?).

Calling it "Contra-16", even if it recycled a decent amount from the NES version, would have been a step in the right direction.

J/k about calling it Contra-16.

Of course, Contra-16 would have to out before Contra Hard Corps/Super Contra....
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

Otaking

When ever there's threads and discussions about most wanted game we never got on the PCE/TG-16, Contra always the tops list. Another popular one is a Konami TMNT game.

On the subject Metal Gear, it's a game I've always thought would of been excellent on a 16 bit console. Specifically a new original game, not a remake or port of an older game.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86jH2UQmvKY&t=812s
Quote from: some block off youtubeIn one episode, Dodongo c-walks out of a convenience store with a 40 at 7:40 AM, steals an arcade machine from an auction, haggles in Spanish for a stuffed papa smurf to use as a sex toy, and buys Secret of Mana for a dollar.

MNKyDeth

I enjoyed the Nes version of the game when it came out but it was a little hard to figure out without a guide.

It wasn't very popular among my friends at the time. I remember skate or die, tecmo bowl, contra being incredibly popular with the group of friends I had at the time.

I don't think it would have effected the popularity of the TG16 much at all.

DragonmasterDan

Quote from: MNKyDeth on 06/02/2015, 11:27 AMI enjoyed the Nes version of the game when it came out but it was a little hard to figure out without a guide.

It wasn't very popular among my friends at the time. I remember skate or die, tecmo bowl, contra being incredibly popular with the group of friends I had at the time.
As a kid we pretty much never read the instruction manuals, the whole concept of sneaking around in that game was lost on me and my friends who had it. So we'd run right out, try to fight and get killed pretty easily.
--DragonmasterDan

bob

Festers Quest would have pushed a million consoles.

o.pwuaioc

CrackTiger

Quote from: imparanoic on 06/01/2015, 09:57 PM
Quote from: CrackTiger on 06/01/2015, 09:48 PMThe NES version wasn't popular in North America, so I don't think that a Turbo version would have helped. If the barrier of Konami PCE games being published in NA is going to be broken, there are already enough existing games like Drac X and Gradius II which would have had a much greater impact.

I'm not sure what you mean by "advanced". At the time part of what turned off the average player was how primitive Metal Gear was and how poorly the English version flowed. Regular people may have been aware of the game's existence because of the cover art and magazine ads, but it was very unappealing at a time when very few people played RPGs, sims and anything that wasn't more or less pick up and play. It is exactly the kind of game that got purchased based on packaging, leading to a disappointed child after they tried playing it.The Ultra/Konami brand sold and rented out many titles, regardless of content.

When MGS came out, the media had to explain what "Metal Gear" was, beyond 'that NES game with that cover' or 'that game game that didn't really go anywhere'. Bitd I had many friends who were "hardcore ganers" for the time and I was the only one who had both the drive and ability to finish it. When I got online in the late 90's, few people I talked to had played through the game or had good things to say about their experience with it beyond what I also felt: it was disappointing considering the potential it showed early on.

If you won't take my word for it about the quality of the game, maybe you'll listen to this guy:

Quote from: Hideo Kojima/quote]
I had absolutely no participation in the development of the NES version. The NES version was a pitiful title developed cheaply and simply by a small team in Tokyo. That was during the bubble economy where anything and everything that was released would sell. I came across the game in a bargain bin and tried play it, but the game design is pretty bad. There is some gameplay that includes infiltrating a base that didn't exist in the original. However, even I, the developer of the original game, was unable to infiltrate the base even once.

Furthermore, being Metal Gear, it goes without saying that Metal Gear should make an appearance at the end. However, from what I've heard, due to the technically difficulties in displaying the sprite on the screen, they swapped Metal Gear out for a gigantic monitor. That made me see that whoever created the game had no sliver of appreciation for the players. However, even thought it was an abomination, it was during the bubble economy and it sold millions overseas. That title has only soiled my reputation.
But if you're thinking about the infinitely discussed topic of changing history to save the TG-16, the only kinds of magic bullets after the first year would be exclusives of games like SFII. Even then, what the TG-16 needed to be massively successful was to kill off the Genesis within that first year by doing most things differently and luck suding with them.

I don't think that MGS is really a good game and is only worth playing through once. Even a great stealth game for 16-bit consoles would be more of a novelty than a game changer though. We got stuff like Silent Debuggers which went under appreciated. The same would have happened with a decent original Metal Gear game
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

VenomMacbeth

I couldn't decide whether to post this here or in the "porting GB games to PCE" thread...

...but I think Metal Gear Solid on the GBC is a good example of a 2D style Metal Gear game done right.  If the GBC could do it, I'm sure the PCE could do it even better
Quote from: Gogan on 08/01/2013, 09:54 AMPlay Turbografx.
Play the Turbografx. PLAY
THE TURBOGRAFX!!!!!!

Buh buh buh, I have almost all teh games evar.  I R TEH BESTEST COLLECTR!!

Pokun

There's nothing wrong with the MSX original though. It doesn't have as confusing areas as the NES version have and it has cool music (the NES version had cool music too though). The Metal Gear might be a bit disappointing but it's much better than the "super computer" in the NES version.

In Sweden Metal Gear was widely known as a very hard and confusing military themed game, but still quite popular. And when MGS was about to come out the anticipations went through the roof.

VestCunt

Quote from: MNKyDeth on 06/02/2015, 11:27 AMIt wasn't very popular among my friends at the time. I remember skate or die, tecmo bowl, contra being incredibly popular with the group of friends I had at the time.
+1. I loved Metal Gear and eventually beat it with the help of one of the Jeff Rovin books, but I was in the minority. No one else I knew owned a copy. I loaned it to some friends and they all hated it. None of the them even took the time to find the first gun.
Topic Adjourned.

o.pwuaioc

Quote from: VestCunt on 06/02/2015, 07:19 PM
Quote from: MNKyDeth on 06/02/2015, 11:27 AMIt wasn't very popular among my friends at the time. I remember skate or die, tecmo bowl, contra being incredibly popular with the group of friends I had at the time.
+1. I loved Metal Gear and eventually beat it with the help of one of the Jeff Rovin books, but I was in the minority. No one else I knew owned a copy. I loaned it to some friends and they all hated it. None of the them even took the time to find the first gun.
Besides seeing it Nintendo Power, no one I know even thought about it until Metal Gear Solid was released.

seieienbu

As a kid I thought the game was interesting enough to play.  I didn't beat it but I did get past the sewer are and the tank miniboss.  Would it have sold me on a system I didn't own?  Not at all. 

More games from more developers could've helped the Turbo Grafx out.  I think what would've helped it out the most would be coming out approximately the same time in the states as it did in Japan and having more shelf space in stores.  If it had been in, say, Walmart I think it would have done a lot better overall.
Current want list:  Bomberman 93

imparanoic

even though I haven't played the slightly worse version of metal gear on the nes, I have played the ps vita which is a port of the original msx, which is very good.

it's noted that original street fighter was not very good or particular popular, but they stick with the original concept and built it from scratch which resulted in the success of the sequel

metal gear has a similar concept, IMO

Mzo

The NES one is a bit more worse than just slightly.
HA! HA! I AM USING THE INTERNET!!1
My Backloggery

esteban

For the record, I borrowed Metal Gear from my neighbor—he always had great games—and beat it. There were many challenging moments, but nothing as FRUSTRATING as other games...Section Z is a maze that still perplexes me (I mapped it out when I was in 7th grade...I doubt I could remember how to navigate the maze today)....Castlevania II Simon's Quest (I still remember hitting a wall, literally, that was too high to pass. I didn't realize I was supposed to use an item...I thought it was a dead end, so I scoured the rest of the map for a way to proceed).

LOVED IT: I loved Simon's Quest. But, without any clues, that part was frustrating.

TANGENT: I borrowed Metroid (another challenging game requiring some note-taking/home made maps) and Excitebike from the same neighbor...so, many of my favorite NES games were from his library. THANK GOD HE HAD GOOD TASTE.

BOTTOM LINE: Anyway, Metal Gear on NES is a great game, regardless of who was involved and how much time the developers had. It was immediately apparent, to anyone who played a lot of games, that Metal Gear was unique and satisfying.

Gentlegamer

I definitely didn't get NES Metal Gear when I tried to play it over twenty years ago. I didn't have a manual, so I approached it as an action game and obviously that doesn't work. From all accounts, it's also just a plain bad port of the original so I won't be too hard on my younger self.

Is the original MSX version in English?
IMG
Quote from: VenomMacbeth on 10/25/2015, 02:35 PMGentle with games, rough with collectards.  Riders gon riiiiide.

VestCunt

Quote from: Mzo on 06/02/2015, 10:25 PMThe NES one is a bit more worse than just slightly.
Quote from: imparanoic on 06/02/2015, 09:38 PMit's noted that original street fighter was not very good or particular popular, but they stick with the original concept and built it from scratch which resulted in the success of the sequel
metal gear has a similar concept, IMO
Quote from: Gentlegamer on 06/03/2015, 12:33 AMFrom all accounts, it's also just a plain bad port of the original so I won't be too hard on my younger self.
I'll assume y'all are experts and grant that Metal Gear NES may be a rough port, but it's a great fucking game and one of the best on the NES. It was a sleeper because nobody knew what the hell to make of a weird, genre-bending RPG masquerading as a war/action game with an uncompromising opening scene and a tortuous path to the first gun.

The MSX and the quality of MG's conversion to the NES shouldn't even be a part of this conversation. Nobody in the U.S. in the Eighties had heard of the MSX or thought Metal Gear was anything less than an original NES exclusive.
Topic Adjourned.

Pokun

Well here in Europe MSX was quite popular so I don't see your point. The NES version sucks in comparison to the MSX version (you never even get to see the Metal Gear weapon in the NES version), and I highly recommend to try it if you haven't.

Quote from: Gentlegamer on 06/03/2015, 12:33 AMI definitely didn't get NES Metal Gear when I tried to play it over twenty years ago. I didn't have a manual, so I approached it as an action game and obviously that doesn't work. From all accounts, it's also just a plain bad port of the original so I won't be too hard on my younger self.

Is the original MSX version in English?
There is an English version but it's not very good (the NES version was badly translated as well). There's a English patch however for both Metal Gear and Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake along with translated manuals (the manual for MG2 is even required to beat the game). MG2 (not to be confused with the crappy NES game Metal Gear 2: Snake's Revenge that Mr Kojima wasn't even involved in) is a much better game so I recommend to play that game after MG1.

Edit: MG1 and MG2 was also released on a PS2 disc in some bundles. They contain a new translation that is actually good (although they changed some of the boss names) and MG2 had all portraits remade since in the MSX version the portraits looks like real American actors. The new portraits was drawn by the MGS artist Yoji Shinkawa so they fit with the rest of the series.

DragonmasterDan

Quote from: Pokun on 06/03/2015, 05:56 AMEdit: MG1 and MG2 was also released on a PS2 disc in some bundles. They contain a new translation that is actually good (although they changed some of the boss names) and MG2 had all portraits remade since in the MSX version the portraits looks like real American actors. The new portraits was drawn by the MGS artist Yoji Shinkawa so they fit with the rest of the series.
Yeah, that was on the Metal Gear Solid 3: subsistence two disc set.

One other thing of note.
The MSX DID come out in North America. But only the original model and little to no games came out for it. The MSX 2, 2+, etc did not see a release in the US or Canada.
--DragonmasterDan

esteban

Is vestcunt the only one who agrees with me?

You all suck my left one.

I stand by my praise of Metal Gear.

Maybe you had to be a little older to appreciate it. If I was only 5-6 years old, maybe I wouldn't have appreciated it myself.

You know what this reminds me of? Bullshite.

:)

DragonmasterDan

Quote from: esteban on 06/03/2015, 07:43 AMIs vestcunt the only one who agrees with me?

Maybe you had to be a little older to appreciate it. If I was only 5-6 years old, maybe I wouldn't have appreciated it myself.

I think it's a pretty good game all things considered. As an adult I did sit and play through the NES version using a guide.

I wouldn't call it one of the "best" on the NES. But I'd certainly say it was a fun and unique game for American home consoles at that time.
--DragonmasterDan

esteban

Quote from: DragonmasterDan on 06/03/2015, 11:18 AM
Quote from: esteban on 06/03/2015, 07:43 AMIs vestcunt the only one who agrees with me?

I think it's a pretty good game all things considered. As an adult I did sit and play through the NES version using a guide.

I wouldn't call it one of the "best" on the NES. But I'd certainly say it was a fun and unique game for American home consoles at that time.
Yeah, I was careful when I said that, for the time it was released, anyone who played games would recognize Metal Gear as "unique and satisfying experience" ....not perfect, but many great games/worthwhile games have flaws/weak points.

Arkhan Asylum

It wouldn't have pushed sales, but it might have done a better job at being Metal Gear than the shit-ass NES one.

There was that other cyberpunk game that was canned on PCE.   Where the fuck did that go.

http://www.pcengine.co.uk/HTML_Games/Branders.htm

I WANT IT
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

esteban

Quote from: guest on 06/03/2015, 01:43 PMIt wouldn't have pushed sales, but it might have done a better job at being Metal Gear than the shit-ass NES one.

There was that other cyberpunk game that was canned on PCE.   Where the fuck did that go.

http://www.pcengine.co.uk/HTML_Games/Branders.htm

I WANT IT
IMG

Gredler

I am in agreement that the MG series didn't garner mass appeal until Solid came out and memorized the masses. As far as software that would've improved US Turbo popularity there are a plethora of titles not mentioned here that would've gotten the system into a lot more homes, but hindsight is almost as much fun and pointless as speculation. A Dragon Quest or Final Fantasy game if talking other studios, Contra and TMNT licensed titles would've done the job if talking Konami (or just translate Rondo...)

tpoeckh

I wasn't even aware of the original Metal Gear on the NES when I was a kid, so I don't think it would have had much impact on TG-16 sales at the time.  The more popular 8-bit Konami games I played were Contra, Castlevania, and Blades of Steel.  These might have sold a few consoles with enhanced TG-16 versions.

Pokun

Don't take it the wrong way. The NES version is a good game on it's own. Kojima is just pissed that they made so many changes to his baby and of course that they had to remove Metal Gear from the game.

But it has a bit too many overcomplicated mazes (five buildings instead of three and several new outdoor areas), missing bosses (no Hind D for example), bad translation in the English version (as well as weird changes to the story), poorly designed areas and as mentioned no Metal Gear in the game! Also several other smaller changes mostly for the worse.

Interestingly Kojima used some of the unique features of the NES version in his later games. Like parachuting into the jungle and infiltrating the base from there (in the MSX version you infiltrate from the sewer by scuba diving).

esteban

johnnykonami

You can count me as fan. (Thought you could guess from my namesake I like most Konami titles!)

At the time, busted Engrish or not, it was so cool to see all the items and gadgets you could pick up throughout the game.  I remember pouring over this ad as a kid:

IMG

I have to say that Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake on the MSX is my favorite in the series though, particularly the music.

ShadowKitty777

I would kill for the MSX Metal Gears on PC Engine. I actually kinda even wish there was a fan made version now.

esteban

Quote from: johnnykonami on 06/04/2015, 08:44 PM

You can count me as fan. (Thought you could guess from my namesake I like most Konami titles!)

At the time, busted Engrish or not, it was so cool to see all the items and gadgets you could pick up throughout the game.  I remember pouring over this ad as a kid:

IMG

I have to say that Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake on the MSX is my favorite in the series though, particularly the music.
Ha! I like that ad. The concept still works: how are you going to use these items to overcome obstacles? No, the grenade launcher does not have unlimited ammo.

wilykat

Metal Gear can be a tough game if you didn't get the instruction book or map with the game. People who borrowed, rented, or bought used found it hard.

I found it fun though and unfortunately it becomes "easy" when you figure out everything. Unlike other Metal Gear, the original one had fixed enemy path and fixed pattern plus fixed rule set so you just needed to know where to go, what to do, what frequency to use, etc and it's doable to finish it without taking potty break.

If this was ported to TG-16, it most definitly would have better graphics. I remembered how it looked "grainy" like the programmer was trying to push the limit of NES.  Back when the game was made, bankswitching was done with a bunch of logic chips, before MMC chips was developed to be used.  If Metal Gear was reprogrammed for MMC1 or later, it may have looked better, less grainy, and a lot less wait in between scenes (that one second black screen was like trying to play off CD game)

CrackTiger

Quote from: wilykat on 06/09/2015, 05:38 PMMetal Gear can be a tough game if you didn't get the instruction book or map with the game. People who borrowed, rented, or bought used found it hard.

I found it fun though and unfortunately it becomes "easy" when you figure out everything. Unlike other Metal Gear, the original one had fixed enemy path and fixed pattern plus fixed rule set so you just needed to know where to go, what to do, what frequency to use, etc and it's doable to finish it without taking potty break.

If this was ported to TG-16, it most definitly would have better graphics. I remembered how it looked "grainy" like the programmer was trying to push the limit of NES.  Back when the game was made, bankswitching was done with a bunch of logic chips, before MMC chips was developed to be used.  If Metal Gear was reprogrammed for MMC1 or later, it may have looked better, less grainy, and a lot less wait in between scenes (that one second black screen was like trying to play off CD game)
The NES version is an overhead digital comic/adventure game like Private Eye Doll. Which is why Snatcher would have been a better candidate to bring over for Turbo, but also wouldn't have made the platform a success.

Gentlegamer

Now I feel like I should try NES Metal Gear again.
IMG
Quote from: VenomMacbeth on 10/25/2015, 02:35 PMGentle with games, rough with collectards.  Riders gon riiiiide.

imparanoic

Quote from: Gentlegamer on 06/10/2015, 08:39 PMNow I feel like I should try NES Metal Gear again.
try the msx version it's better, it's on ps3 and ps vita metal gear solid collection also on ps2 metal gear solid 3 subsistance

ShadowKitty777

Quote from: imparanoic on 06/11/2015, 04:31 AMtry the msx version it's better, it's on ps3 and ps vita metal gear solid collection also on ps2 metal gear solid 3 subsistance
I agree. I would also say Metal Gear 2 Solid Snake (also on those collections) Is worth checking out, more-so than 1 actually.

DragonmasterDan

Quote from: ShadowKitty777 on 06/13/2015, 10:50 AMI agree. I would also say Metal Gear 2 Solid Snake (also on those collections) Is worth checking out, more-so than 1 actually.
It's a newer and more polished game. But for those of us who grew up in the US and played the NES original this isn't as easy of a pick over the original.
--DragonmasterDan

Pokun

I grew up with the NES game and have found memories of it. I would still choose the MSX version over the NES version any day.

Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake is a much better game, but I would play them in order. Then playing MGS after MG1 and MG2 is even better.
If you don't have an MSX2 or PS2/PS3 I recommend BlueMSX or possibly OpenMSX and play the patched versions http://www.romhacking.net/translations/842/ and http://www.romhacking.net/translations/80/. The manuals are also translated
www.msxnet.org/gtinter/mg1remi/mg1ma-us.zip and http://gtinter.msxnet.org/Operate.htm (very detailed and fun manual, required to complete the game).

About the NES game not being very popular in USA doesn't seem to be true. I checked it and it looks like it sold over a million in USA alone.

CrackTiger

Quote from: Pokun on 06/15/2015, 11:19 AMAbout the NES game not being very popular in USA doesn't seem to be true. I checked it and it looks like it sold over a million in USA alone.
Sales numbers don't reflect player reception, especially during the dark days of the NES, when kids were much more likely to either receive random games as gifts or have to judge a game strictly by the box. Also, a million sold on NES isn't anywhere near as impressive as one million sold on TG-16 and a Turbo version would be perceived as "that NES game" and/or "that game I already played".

Without getting into all of the uncelebrated NES games which sold better than Metal Gear, here are some highlights:

Kung Fu sold 3.5 million, so Vigilante was much more likely to save the TurboGrafx-16 than a prettier Metal Gear.

Golf 4 million, Baseball 3.2 million, World Class Track Meet 3.08 million, Ice Hockey 2.42 million, Pro Wrestling 2.4 million, Tennis 2.17 million, Volleyball 2.15, Soccer 1.96 million. Looks like generic unlicensed sports games were all that the TG-16 needed to have been a massive success.

Nintendo World Cup 1.48 million and Xevious 1.42 million. These two sold better than Metal Gear as well, would the existing PC Engine versions really have killed the Sega Genesis?

Pokun

Sales numbers doesn't necessary reflect player reception but you can't ignore there is a clear connection, especially since it sold so well (a million sold is a lot even for a NES game, all the games you listed were big successes). Even if the parents buy random games they are still affected by word of mouth, sellers recommendations and their kids' wish lists etc.

Since Metal Gear was so popular (especially in USA) they even made a NES exclusive sequel, before the real MSX2 sequel was made.

I'm not discussing what could have saved the Turbo Grafx in USA because I have no idea about that stuff.

esteban

Quote from: Pokun on 06/17/2015, 07:11 PM...

Since Metal Gear was so popular (especially in USA) they even made a NES exclusive sequel, before the real MSX2 sequel was made.
Agh, if this is true, then you make a very compelling argument that Metal Gear sold well!

Interesting. :)

schweaty

i got metal gear along with ikari warriors with my first NES during Xmas of '87.  my 10-year-old self didn't really "get-it" until a year or so later.  no one else i knew had it or even liked it.  while i agree it's a deep, complex, and rewarding game, i dont see it being much of a system-seller.  i can think of dozens of NES-exclusive games any good marketer would pick ahead of metal gear to port over to boost sales.

edit:  accidentally called it "metal gear solid"... derp

DragonmasterDan

Quote from: esteban on 06/18/2015, 08:20 AMAgh, if this is true, then you make a very compelling argument that Metal Gear sold well!

Solid Snake was NES exclusive so this is accurate. But lots of games are sequelized without being monster sellers, especially in the 8-bit era when development costs were reasonably cheap.
--DragonmasterDan

CrackTiger

Quote from: esteban on 06/18/2015, 08:20 AM

Agh, if this is true, then you make a very compelling argument that Metal Gear sold well!

Then why drop the "Metal Gear" title make it play so differently? Even a sequel to a genuine hit and well received game like The Adventure of Link has a very noticeable "ZELDA II" on the cover.

Ultra games existed soley as a loophole to saturate the market with NES games. They also developed NES titles instead of just localizing Famicom titles. The military theme probably had more to do with a second attempt to cash in with a Metal Gear bastardization.

Metal Gear sold well enough, as I stated early, but wasn't an influential hit on NES. The MSX versions didn't spawn a glut of look alikes either.

Look at how poorly the Dragon Warrior games sold (Nintendo resorted to literally giving away the massive surplus of unsold copies of the original) and how unpopular the genre was. There was always a modest market for niche games and the NES was such a massive success that a game didn't have to be a hit to be profitable. Especially for a publisher as prolific and with such close ties to Nintendo of Japan.

Does anyone honestly believe that Metal Gear played a major part in the success of the NES? If not, then how was a late rehash supposed help the TG-16 defeat both the NES and Genesis?

Psycho Punch

The NES Metal gear is not too bad besides the random forest mazes (which were more of a shortcut cheat since there are some buildings that are linked with multiple paths and the game plays a sound effect when you enter through the correct path), buggy floor traps and some minor issues. Source: I've neaten the NES and MSX versions.
I'm not sure if Metal Gear would have had made ANY difference at all to the turbob buy a proper port would surely be one of those fondly remembered games. Plus I think that MG2 Solid Snake would be a better fit to the system's capabilities

By the way, I highly recommend both games, get the JD or Legacy collection on PS3, MG1&2 is included with MGS3 just like in the PS2 version, plus the ports of MGS2, 3 and Peace Walker are great!
This Toxic Turbo Turd/Troll & Clone Warrior calls himself "Burning Fight!!" on Neo-Geo.com
For a good time, reach out to: aleffrenan94@gmail.com or punchballmariobros@gmail.com
Like DildoKobold, dildos are provided free of charge, no need to bring your own! :lol:
He also ran scripts to steal/clone this forum which blew up the error logs! I had to delete THOUSANDS of errors cause of this nutcase!
how_to_spell_ys_sign_origin_ver.webp

ShadowKitty777

Quote from: DragonmasterDan on 06/14/2015, 10:41 PM
Quote from: ShadowKitty777 on 06/13/2015, 10:50 AMI agree. I would also say Metal Gear 2 Solid Snake (also on those collections) Is worth checking out, more-so than 1 actually.
It's a newer and more polished game. But for those of us who grew up in the US and played the NES original this isn't as easy of a pick over the original.
Really? o.o
(I grew up in the US and played the NES one when it came out as well, still have my complete copy)
I could see the appeal for the nostalgia factor on the NES one, but those MSX versions were pretty spiffy in my personal opinion. Enough so that I actually sealed up my copies of the original, and put them on my Metal Gear Collection shelf.

Pokun

Quote from: guest on 06/18/2015, 02:14 PM
Quote from: esteban on 06/18/2015, 08:20 AM

Then why drop the "Metal Gear" title make it play so differently? Even a sequel to a genuine hit and well received game like The Adventure of Link has a very noticeable "ZELDA II" on the cover.
Good point! :)
I think the reason it plays so differently is simply because it wasn't made by the same people.

QuoteDoes anyone honestly believe that Metal Gear played a major part in the success of the NES?
Of course not. It was just one among many successful Famicom games.

QuoteLook at how poorly the Dragon Warrior games sold (Nintendo resorted to literally giving away the massive surplus of unsold copies of the original) and how unpopular the genre was. There was always a modest market for niche games and the NES was such a massive success that a game didn't have to be a hit to be profitable. Especially for a publisher as prolific and with such close ties to Nintendo of Japan.
I thought Nintendo of America gave away DW1 games as a promotion in order to introduce the American market to RPGs (ironically enough considering USA is the place of origin of the genre), and that Dragon Warrior was a moderate success in USA until DW VII. It was apparently not successful enough since Enix withdrew their American office before the completion of DW V (the best game in the series IMHO).