The Analogue Turbo Duo clone shipped in time for Christmas 2023. Are you happy with yours ?? Find firmware updates here.
Main Menu

Your Daily Dose of Gaming.

Started by Ninja Spirit, 07/15/2005, 01:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe Redifer

I am playing the Japanese version of DJ Boy which has tons upon tons of racism in it (or so they say).  Everyone enjoys racism, so it's no surprise that this is one of the best games ever made.  I also just received Keio Yugekitai for the Saturn.  I thought this was supposed to be a rare game.  If it were, I think I'd have paid more than $60 or so for it (which was paid through cell phone rebate cards).  But still it is a pretty damn fun game!

GUTS

Isn't the only thing supposedly "racist" in DJ Boy the aunt Jamima boss on level 1 or 2?  I played through the game years ago and was disappointed that she was the only thing even remotely offensive (and she's only offensive if you're a crybaby whiner with way too much time on your hands).

The pal version of Keoi is better because you can read the hilarious "tips" you unlock as you go through the game.  Plus the voice acting is so fucking bad it's awesome.  Man that game rules.

termis

DJ Boy... Fuzzy in my memory, but yeah, I do remember some big old black woman with stereotypical features.  I don't remember much more than that.  Is there cooler shit on the Japanese version?

As for Keio Flying Squadron, so I guess the PAL version runs on "full-speed" on NTSC machines?  (as in, it WASN'T optimized for 50Hz screens?)  I was thinking about trying out the PAL version of that game, but I wasn't sure how well it was going to work on NA systems.

akamichi

Just recently, I decided to break out the PCE Duo and go back and beat some of the games that I never finished or finished just once.  Anyway, just started playing Legendary Axe 2 after haven't not played it since hell... maybe 10 years now.  Never did beat the game.  It isn't that hard until you get to the last stage.  What a crappy and annoying stage.  So after a few hours, I get to the point where I can get thru the last stage w/o too much problem.  Then of course there's the last boss.  He just keeps beating the crap outta me even when I got 9 lifebar, 10 bombs and level 5 weapon.

After losing like 10 times to the boss, I finally worked up a decent technique against him.  So... now just 5 minutes ago, I get to the last boss with again with full 9 life, 10 bombs and lvl 5 sword and I was sure I could put up a better fight.  Half way into the fight, I saw that I did some major damage to the boss (started flashing red) and I only lost like 4 life and used maybe 2 or 3 bombs.  Then the boss trapped me in the corner and I made a desperate attempt to run under his legs after I got hit.  Only lost 1 life and scored more hits in the process.

After distancing myself from the boss, I prepared to jump back into the fight with my sword swinging and my bombs blazing!  So, I run forward and jump in and...................

the video signal goes dead!!!!!  WTF!  ](*,)

I immediately paused the game.  Luckily I could still hear the sound so I knew the game wasn't reset or something like that.  I spent a couple of minutes fiddling with the A/V cable on the Duo.  Even tried a spare cable I had.  No go!  The video just wouldn't come back on!  Well, seeing the total futility of trying to fix whatever happened, I accepted my fate.  I'd have to turn off the game and hook up my spare PCE and fight again from the beginning.  So what the hell, I figured I'd just unpause the game and fight to the bitter end, in complete darkness, before I turn off the Duo.

Unpausing the game was like being sentenced to death... because that's what it basically was.  I had to have gotten hit a handful of times.  Each time I thought it was the end.  In the darkness i kept swinging and bombing.  There was no chance survive make my time. :P
I knew the end would be imminent, the boss had to have been on top of me by now.  I had also ran out of bombs.  Then, for whatever reason, I pressed jump and then attack over and over and suddenly...

BOOOOOOOM!  The unusually loud fanfare of explosions was so.... was so....  deafening!  I had killed the boss!  I had won!  I couldn't believe my ears!  I had never been pissed about beating a game before!  hahaha! 

So after all that time playing, I beat the game, didn't get to see the ending, and got a possibly broken Duo to show for it.  Something's just not right about that.   :-({|=

Sorry for the long rambling.

esteban

Quote from: akamichi on 05/27/2007, 05:49 AMJust recently, I decided to break out the PCE Duo and go back and beat some of the games that I never finished or finished just once.  Anyway, just started playing Legendary Axe 2 after haven't not played it since hell... maybe 10 years now.  Never did beat the game.  It isn't that hard until you get to the last stage.  What a crappy and annoying stage

So after all that time playing, I beat the game, didn't get to see the ending, and got a possibly broken Duo to show for it.  Something's just not right about that.   :-({|=

Sorry for the long rambling. 
Dude, that was a wonderfully entertaining story. Unfortunately, when reality sinks in, it is an incredibly disheartening story, because I know something crappy will happen like this to me one day. And when crap happens, it will be spectacularly bad, as you already know.

What a bittersweet way to beat LA2!
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

Keranu

Holy crap, that sucks, Akaimichi. I am soooo sorry for you :( . This is coming from one Turbo brother to another.
Quote from: TurboXray on 01/02/2014, 09:21 PMAdding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).
IMG
Click the banner to learn more about Alex Chiu and his "immortality rings"

JoshTurboTrollX

akamichi, just remember when someone says the Legendary Axe two is a hard game - you can say I could have beat the game with my eyes closed!

again, sorry about the loss, but its a story that you can tell again and again!
Jossshhhhh...Legendary TurboTrollX-16: He revenge-bans PCE Developers/Ys IV Localizers from PCE Facebook groups and destroyed 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Josh and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner (extortion/blackmail!), never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

termis

Sega Tourring Car Championship on the Saturn.  Awesome BGM, but gawdawful graphics.

Ninja Spirit

Just BIN'ed PCE Manji Maru off ebay. Waiting for it is gonna be torture.

Joe Redifer

Never heard of it.  But then again, all PCE titles sound the same to me since they don't use English like they damn well should!

CrackTiger

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 05/29/2007, 07:16 PMNever heard of it.  But then again, all PCE titles sound the same to me since they don't use English like they damn well should!
The game also goes by: Far East of Eden II.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

Joe Redifer

He should have said that!  I hope he can read Japanese because otherwise it won't be any fun to play since I think that one is an RPG.

Seldane

I played some (well, four hours) P*nis Write Ass Attourney when I was sick yesterday. It was actually quite fun. Huh. Whaddaya know. Didn't expect it to be.

PS: Everybody ignored my Dawn of Mana praise earlier. Shame on you. Shame on you all.

Now, play it.
Quote from: Seldane on 04/21/2007, 07:28 PMDVDs are for suckers. Illegally pirated and stolen videos all the way. No menus. No "DO NOT PIRATE THIS!" screens. No fuss. Only perfection. I honestly only pirate movies because that "don't pirate this" screen annoys me. :wink:
IMG
Indeed, it's AV time. Check out: IMG! Sir, the door was open.

Keranu

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 05/29/2007, 07:33 PMHe should have said that!  I hope he can read Japanese because otherwise it won't be any fun to play since I think that one is an RPG.
Figuring out the menus and following CrackTiger's walkthrough for it makes it a blast for us non-Japanese speakers. Since Ninja Spirit already knows the menus, it should be a breeze for him  8) . Seriously though, from the 10 hours I've played of it, it's awesome!
Quote from: TurboXray on 01/02/2014, 09:21 PMAdding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).
IMG

nat

I've played 11 hours of it and I can confidently say things take a turn for the worst around the 10 hour 15 minute mark.
Wayback - thebrothersduomazov.com - Reviews of over 400 TurboGrafx-16/PC-Engine games

CrackTiger

You guys may be past the revised portion of my TMII walkthrough, but here's the latest version as I was redoing it-

https://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/tengai_makyou_ii_walkthrough.txt
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

MrFulci

Samurai Shodown 4 I jsut spent some time with this evening.

Never saw much of this in the Arcades, plenty of 1 and 2.

I have to share my gaming on this today because I was finishing off an opponent, and during my last strike, the game does the slow-motion thing, all of a sudden blood sprayed from my opponent's chest and all over my character, hahaha, painted in blood winning the match.

I'm used to the blood fountain in this series, but this spray that paints part of my character with blood was special... hahaha.

I didn't replicate it throughout the rest of my playing time. I need to lookup what that button combination was....
"Damnit, Beavis, put that away. You're not supposed to have your _____ out when you're cooking".

Ninja Spirit

I do not know way too much Japanese, but I do take playing import RPG's from a different approach, and I like other languages period. That's one way I learn and get real time experience past the "how-to books" is to just jump in it and not think so much about not getting the story and the fun being ruined. I may not learn on a conversational level, but I do familiarize myself with the two basic character tables (but the big ones with the fancy brushstrokes are still out of my league, I still have to throw coins in the dark if I have to deal with those)

While I've been playing *FAR EAST OF EDEN: UNFORTUNATELY KABUKI'S STORY* and putting those vids out on YouTube, I picked up a whole lot of new words especially from scenes with text and voice done at once and write them in a notebook.

I also use a program called "JWPCE" which also has a built in dictonary, and that really helps out in shopping for items and weapons.

Joe Redifer

I did not play any games today.

nat

Neither did I, oddly enough.

I almost sat down for a quick game of Chip Can Kick on the PC-FX but then I decided I had better go to TCBY instead for an after dinner treat.
Wayback - thebrothersduomazov.com - Reviews of over 400 TurboGrafx-16/PC-Engine games

akamichi

Quote from: Keranu on 05/27/2007, 03:28 PMHoly crap, that sucks, Akaimichi. I am soooo sorry for you :( . This is coming from one Turbo brother to another.
Quote from: turbo_sage on 05/27/2007, 08:40 PMakamichi, just remember when someone says the Legendary Axe two is a hard game - you can say I could have beat the game with my eyes closed!

again, sorry about the loss, but its a story that you can tell again and again!
Thanks for the support guys!  Well, everything turned out ok after all.  The next day I tried my spare machine and it didn't work either (sound was ok), so I knew something else was wrong.  Turned out that the video capture box I've been using went flaky and I had all my stuff connected through that to the TV.  Noticed it was fairly warm so I let it cool down a bit and the video started working again.

Then I hooked up the Duo and went back and beat LA2 and saw the ending this time! :)

Maybe I should have recorded it. hehehe

nat

I have never been able to beat that final level to even see the boss.

The whole game is not too hard up until that part.

I don't even know where to go in that level-- the whole thing is a huge fucking maze. I always end up dying and getting discouraged.

TJ

Quote from: thumpin_termis on 05/27/2007, 03:09 AMAs for Keio Flying Squadron, so I guess the PAL version runs on "full-speed" on NTSC machines?  (as in, it WASN'T optimized for 50Hz screens?)  I was thinking about trying out the PAL version of that game, but I wasn't sure how well it was going to work on NA systems.
That would answer something I always wondered about the game, because I have a "copy" (ahem) of the PAL version of Keio for the Saturn which I got from a friend in the UK, and it works fine on my US Saturn. :P

TJ

FINALLY beat Okami a few weeks ago...52 freakin' hours. Well worth it -- I think every gamer should experience it, if you have a significant chunk of time you're willing to invest into it.

Right now I am playing:

Odin Sphere (PS2) - gorgeous and challenging. Now I wanna pick up Princess Crown, but as if it wasn't already pricey enough, I bet it's going to skyrocket as OS catches on.

Senko no Ronde (360) - Fun, unusual shooter/mech fighter by G.Rev, makers of Border Down. I refuse to refer to it by its American slave name of "Wartech" with its crap logo and crap cover art -- I think it's time to do another kustom package design! ;) (Either that, or find someone with the Japanese version who can send me a hi-res scan of the cover insert.) Beyond that though, it's a very Japanese game with its anime characters and subtitled voice acting and all, definitely an anomaly on the US 360 market. Gotta support the shmups!!

Taito Legends 2 (PS2) - You can't argue with getting 39 games for 20 bones, esp. when it contains Elevator Action Returns, the Saturn version of which goes for $40-50 used by itself. Plus G.Darius and RayStorm, which if you didn't have for the PS1 now's your chance, not to mention Majestic Twelve, KiKiKaiKai, Gekirindan...great collection, although there are some titles like Front Line and Qix which really should have been on the first volume. This one features mostly later '80s and '90s titles though, so you definitely get a ton of play time for the money!

And the last several games I picked up also included Virtua Quest, Castlevania Curse of Darkness, Inuyasha RPG, Capcom Fighting Evolution, Ar Tonelico (all PS2), Godzilla: Save the Earth (Xbox)...so I should be set for the summer :)

GUTS

Damn, Taito Legends 2 is out?  I need to pick that up, I sold off my Saturn Elevator Action Retures last year when I heard it was coming over here.

God Hand- Awesome, awesome game.  I miss Clover already, the only 2 games they did are 2 of my all time favorite PS2 games.

Shining Force EXA- Pretty fun as a Diablo style game, although the story sucks and you don't get new helper characters fast enough.  I also wish you could change your helper's equipment instead of just setting their play style.

TJ

Quote from: GUTS on 05/30/2007, 01:43 PMDamn, Taito Legends 2 is out?  I need to pick that up, I sold off my Saturn Elevator Action Retures last year when I heard it was coming over here.
It's a GameStop exclusive apparently too. The one I go to only got 2 copies in and my friend and I bought them both. Better hurry, or order online.

termis

ACD Strider. 

I still don't think it's half bad.  If only they did something with the horrible hit detection.

esteban

Joe Redifer

Still haven't played any games.  Maybe I will later.  Maybe I could play a game on the Wii.  Naaawww... there aren't really any games to play on it, especially ones that are actually good and fulfilling.

CrackTiger

Quote from: TJ on 05/30/2007, 12:08 PMRight now I am playing:

Odin Sphere (PS2) - gorgeous and challenging. Now I wanna pick up Princess Crown, but as if it wasn't already pricey enough, I bet it's going to skyrocket as OS catches on.
Can you confirm whether or not Odin Sphere supports 480p?

Keranu

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 05/30/2007, 11:51 PMStill haven't played any games.  Maybe I will later.  Maybe I could play a game on the Wii.  Naaawww... there aren't really any games to play on it, especially ones that are actually good and fulfilling.
If you hate the Wii so much, why the hell do you have one?
IMG

Joe Redifer

Who said I hated it?  It's just boring, that's all.  When I bought it I thought it would be fun and there would be good games.  I was wrong.  Same story for the Xbox 360.  Both systems are pretty stale.

Keranu

Maybe you should try doing this on your Wii.
IMG

TR0N

Quote from: TJ on 05/30/2007, 12:08 PMFINALLY beat Okami a few weeks ago...52 freakin' hours. Well worth it -- I think every gamer should experience it, if you have a significant chunk of time you're willing to invest into it.

Right now I am playing:

I'm still playing Odin Sphere for myself as well.

Damn good animation in it beside how it plays i just wish, it didn't suffer so much from loading times.
IMG
PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

Joe Redifer

Quote from: KeranuMaybe you should try doing this on your Wii.
I don't have any channels on my Wii nor the ability to have them.  The LAN adapter which lets me use the awesome and futuristic technology off the mystical ethernet cable should be arriving direct from Nintendo in the next week or so (they are slow because they are Nintendo... 3.58Mhz LOL).  After that then I can check the weather with my Wii.  I'll never have to look out another window again!

Keranu

You don't need the internet to waste your time doing what that guy did! :D
IMG

nat

Today was Ys III (TurboGrafx)... Finally beat Demonicus. He was giving me shit forever.

Despite some jerky parallax in places, this was a great game. Graphics (aside from said shakiness) were very colorful and quite beautiful in places. I don't even need to comment on the music.

Now I'm on the fence whether to go the Ys I & II route or continue on to IV. This was a series I always skipped over when I was younger, but now that I have all four titles...

Keranu

Dude by all means play Ys Book I & II NOW! That's like the holiest game ever made.
IMG

nat

Already started... Some little sparkly fuckers in the Shrine were giving me hell, so I shut it off. Besides, it's dinner time.

Joe Redifer

I am about to play some games.  Who here is excited for me?  Should I sell tickets so people can watch me play games via the internet?

Kitsunexus

Quote from: nat on 05/31/2007, 09:51 PMSome little sparkly fuckers in the Shrine were giving me hell

IMG

WE GIVE YOU HELL!!
Forgive me, my brain is on par with the Bubble System.
THE CHEMICAL BROTHERS RULE!

Keranu

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 05/31/2007, 09:58 PMI am about to play some games.  Who here is excited for me?  Should I sell tickets so people can watch me play games via the internet?
Yes. Where can I paypal for a ticket?
IMG

esteban

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 05/31/2007, 09:58 PMI am about to play some games.  Who here is excited for me?  Should I sell tickets so people can watch me play games via the internet?
Joe, call me pathetic, or a voyeur, or just a creep, but I would love to watch a video of you playing these games right now.

runinruder

Quote from: nat on 05/31/2007, 09:24 PMNow I'm on the fence whether to go the Ys I & II route or continue on to IV. This was a series I always skipped over when I was younger, but now that I have all four titles...
Book I & II is one of the best games ever.  IV is very overrated.

Keranu

Runin speaks nonsense, IV is outstanding and I feel it's the closest Ys sequel to I & II. It's not as epic, but more of a fun adventure.
IMG

Joe Redifer

Nobody bought tickets before I began playing, so I had to play for an audience of one... ME!  Fortunately I let myself in for a discount.  Anyway here is the transcript of what occurred, as all of the games played are new to my collection:

The Terminator - Sega Genesis - I started playing this and all I could do is throw grenades.  WTF?  About a thousand Terminators destroyed me quickly.  I tried again.  Ah!  I can get a gun!  This helped.  And I died soon thereafter.  I look in the manual and it says something to the effect of "You might want to play it on easy in order to get past the first level".  Seriously... it really says that!  So I put it on easy and tried a third time.  Made it a bit further but still didn't get past the first level.  "EASY" on this game is what "XtReMe" is on most other games.  I will search for a Game Genie code.

Lethal Enforcers II - Gun Fighters - Sega CD - A very grainy Konami game which really doesn't use much of the Genesis' palette.  But it's kind of fun.  I have the version which actually comes with a box and instructions since I already had the Justifier to use with Snatcher.  Playing with the control pad or joystick is about 90 times easier than the Justifier.  For one you can rapidly reload and fire at the same time just by hammering down as fast as you can on the A and C buttons.  Use a rapid fire stick and you don't even need to apply any effort whatsoever!  Effort is for losers.  The Justifier only lets you shoot 6 times before requiring you to reload by shooting off-screen.  this sucks during boss battles when they are throwing tons of shit at you.  Also the gun isn't very accurate.  The Sega Light Phaser for the SMS is far more accurate.  But then again Sega is better than Konami.

Shanghai - Sega Master System - This game is pretty cool and the music is great, though you have to shut it off eventually if you value your sanity.  But the game is fun and very tough.  If it weren't for those damn foreign characters, it would be easy.  Damn foreigners.  How dare they not use English!

Ghostbusters - Sega Master System - This game is tough, but it is the best version of the Activision-designed Ghostbusters game evar!  It was the 3rd videogame I had ever purchased in my entire life (right after Space Harrier and Choplifter for the SMS which I bought along with the system itself), and I hated it at the time.  I kept whining and bitching to take it back, but by the time my mom actually agreed I started to get the hang of it and even like it somewhat.  I didn't tell her that because that would have negated my earlier whining and would have also made any future whining less effective (and I had lots of plans), so I too it back and exchanged it for something else.  It's gonna take the same amount of time to get the hang of again, I'm afraid.  The Genesis version is still the best Ghostbusters game in existence.

Gale Racer - Sega Saturn - Also known as Rad Mobile, this is a very arcade-style racer.  The graphics consist basically of scaling logs.  Sega rules.  What other company would ever think to scale fucking logs?  Also this game has tr00 transparencies!!!!!!!! Anyway this game gets a bad rap, but it really isn't too bad.  I think most people expect Daytona or some game filled with polygons.  We here on PCEngineFX hate polygons, though.  So Gale Racer is king.  I would rather they had called it Rad Mobile, though... far more cheesy!

Keranu

Joe I was interested in buying a ticket, but you never gave me your Pay Pal address to purchase one!

That Terminator game sucks, but the graphics are cool.

Lethal Enforcers II - I think I've only played the Genesis one, which is ok, but I haven't passed the first level because I like to kill too many innocents. There is a special name the game gives me when I fail the level, but I can't remember! (No it wasn't LOSER!)

Shanghai - I've always enjoyed these games ever since I was a kid and would play them on Windows 3.1! I don't think I've played the SMS version, but it probably plays just as well as the others.

Ghostbusters - Fun, unique underrated game!

Gale Racer - I've only played this on MAME very quickly once or twice, under the much superior name "Rad Mobile", and it had neat graphics and a cool Sonic keychain thing, but I don't remember much else ab00t it :( . This game was also featured in the movie Encino Man!
IMG

Joe Redifer

If Brendan Fraser endorses it, then you know it is high quality!  I should look and see if there is a picture of him on the cover or in the manual somewhere.

Keranu

I doubt Brendan Fraser is in it anywhere since Paulie Shore has to poke his face in every camera shot.
IMG

Seldane

Ys IV is the underrated one, even though it isn't underrated. :P It's the best Ys game for PCE. Period. It's actually a really good game, unlike 1-2, which is pretty mediocre (ALL NOSTALGIA ASIDE!!).
Quote from: Seldane on 04/21/2007, 07:28 PMDVDs are for suckers. Illegally pirated and stolen videos all the way. No menus. No "DO NOT PIRATE THIS!" screens. No fuss. Only perfection. I honestly only pirate movies because that "don't pirate this" screen annoys me. :wink:
IMG
Indeed, it's AV time. Check out: IMG! Sir, the door was open.