@GTV reviews the Cosmic Fantasy 1-2 Switch collection by Edia, provides examples of the poor English editing/localization work. It's much worse for CF1. Rated "D" for disappointment, finding that TurboGrafx CF2 is better & while CF1's the real draw, Edia screwed it up...
Main Menu

Legend of Hero Tonma going price

Started by Warbucks, 06/24/2015, 10:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Warbucks

I have a chance to get Legend of Hero Tonma off of a friend and was wondering what the going rate for this game is.  I have played it and enjoy the game.

What is your advice on the price of the game?

sirhcman

Quote from: Warbucks on 06/24/2015, 10:49 PMI have a chance to get Legend of Hero Tonma off of a friend and was wondering what the going rate for this game is.  I have played it and enjoy the game.

Loose, with manual, or CIB?

Condition of hu card, manual, box?

Hard to quote without that info

Warbucks

Hu card in good condition with manual in good condition, no box or case.

BigusSchmuck

Quote from: guest on 06/24/2015, 10:57 PM
Quote from: Warbucks on 06/24/2015, 10:49 PMI have a chance to get Legend of Hero Tonma off of a friend and was wondering what the going rate for this game is.  I have played it and enjoy the game.

Loose, with manual, or CIB?

Condition of hu card, manual, box?

Hard to quote without that info
Complete even with the box I have seen it go for $100 non ebay price. Seriously though, Gamedude is probably the best price guide. lol http://www.gamedude.com/turbog.html

sirhcman

Quote from: Warbucks on 06/24/2015, 11:30 PMHu card in good condition with manual in good condition, no box or case.
I would say offer him $150 for the hu and manual. The game did not come with a case (was a TTI era release so box and clear tray were what it came packed with)

PS: those gamedude prices seem low to me on many of them, $199 for Magical Chase?

Warbucks

I have seen that gamedude page before, his prices seem very reasonable. Has anyone actually ordered from him before?  It's weird that he doesn't accept PayPal. Those prices were updated a year ago.  If he is still selling for those prices I would be picking up a few games :)

BigusSchmuck

Quote from: Warbucks on 06/25/2015, 08:57 AMI have seen that gamedude page before, his prices seem very reasonable. Has anyone actually ordered from him before?  It's weird that he doesn't accept PayPal. Those prices were updated a year ago.  If he is still selling for those prices I would be picking up a few games :)
It all depends on what he has in stock. So for an example, Magical Chase for $199 is probably from like 10 years ago when he last had that game. I can't imagine someone nowadays selling him Magical Chase but there you have it. I for one, haven't ordered anything from him for a few years now, but it is pretty straight forward...

Bardoly

Quote from: guest on 06/24/2015, 11:41 PM
Quote from: Warbucks on 06/24/2015, 11:30 PMHu card in good condition with manual in good condition, no box or case.
I would say offer him $150 for the hu and manual. The game did not come with a case (was a TTI era release so box and clear tray were what it came packed with)
I enjoy the game myself.  $150.00 would be fine to offer to a friend, I would think.  With the box would be more expensive, of course.

gamerslife

$200 is what I've seen on two private sales....bro price of $150 is a great deal anything over $200 is high to me
The older you get, the more rules they are going to try and get you to follow. You just gotta keep on livin', man. L-I-V-I-N. -Wooderson (AKA:Matthew McConaughey)

esteban

I don't care about the price. The price is ridiculous.

All you need to know is that...

IMG
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

Gentlegamer

You need to dedicate part of tg-16.com to something like memegenerator that just spits out Turrican't image macros.
IMG
Quote from: VenomMacbeth on 10/25/2015, 02:35 PMGentle with games, rough with collectards.  Riders gon riiiiide.

esteban

Quote from: Gentlegamer on 06/27/2015, 07:38 AMYou need to dedicate part of tg-16.com to something like memegenerator that just spits out Turrican't image macros.
Hahahhaha. I know.

cr8zykuban0

Quote from: esteban on 06/27/2015, 07:24 AMI don't care about the price. The price is ridiculous.

All you need to know is that...

IMG
true that!

greedostick

I ordered from game dude many many many years ago, and everything had video store style game dude stickers on them that were impossible to remove. I'm not sure if they still do that, but I would inquire if that sort of thing bothers you.
IMG

Alt-Nintega

price is a very loose term. the get lucky price for the CIC game is under $100. The buddy buddy price for this is $100-$120. The ebay price is $100-$500.

but u can also find it for $1 on some garage sale

VenomMacbeth

Such a stupid game to pay that much money for.  I'd rather spend that on Ninja Spirit & it's much, much cheaper.  Simply collectarded.
Quote from: Gogan on 08/01/2013, 09:54 AMPlay Turbografx.
Play the Turbografx. PLAY
THE TURBOGRAFX!!!!!!

Buh buh buh, I have almost all teh games evar.  I R TEH BESTEST COLLECTR!!

NecroPhile

Other than the price and it being a bit too goofy looking, what's wrong with Tonma?
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

VenomMacbeth

Quote from: guest on 07/02/2015, 12:51 PMOther than the price and it being a bit too goofy looking, what's wrong with Tonma?
That's it.  I'm just picky about my games & am a little nearsighted when it comes to collector value on games I don't care for.

I played it on my everdrive & I'd still rather play Ninja Spirit, Genji Tsuushin Agedama, or even Shubibinman 2.  I'd actually be more likely to spend that money on a copy of Shockman than Tonma.
THE TURBOGRAFX!!!!!!

esteban

Quote from: VenomMacbeth on 07/02/2015, 12:59 PM
Quote from: guest on 07/02/2015, 12:51 PMOther than the price and it being a bit too goofy looking, what's wrong with Tonma?
That's it.  I'm just picky about my games & am a little nearsighted when it comes to collector value on games I don't care for.

I played it on my everdrive & I'd still rather play Ninja Spirit, Genji Tsuushin Agedama, or even Shubibinman 2.  I'd actually be more likely to spend that money on a copy of Shockman than Tonma.
I enjoyed Tonma far more than Shockman, but that's because I found Tonma similar to Karnov NES, which is a favorite under-achiever of mine. I just love something (play mechanics, items, solving/overcoming challenges) in Karnov and Tonma :)

Put another way: the worlds of Tonma and Karnov have some personality, for me. I want to explore them further (they are rather easy, so I wish there were sequels for both games)

VenomMacbeth

I can understand that.  Some of the enemies & level graphics are visually pleasing, but that player sprite is so dorky & ugly.  I'm all for underachievers, but Karnov = $5, Tonma = $500?  Bullshit.
THE TURBOGRAFX!!!!!!

NecroPhile

So the price is stupid, not the game.  Quit doggin' on Tonma!  It's not his fault he's been collectarded to death.

Gentlegamer

Hey, I'm fond of Karnov, too! One of my favorite early NES games.
IMG
Quote from: VenomMacbeth on 10/25/2015, 02:35 PMGentle with games, rough with collectards.  Riders gon riiiiide.

esteban

Quote from: Gentlegamer on 07/02/2015, 02:37 PMHey, I'm fond of Karnov, too! One of my favorite early NES games.
I love all the items + exploration in Karnov. It was just the right amount, IMHO.

I LOVE FLYING.

Even the damn ladder in Karno is awesome for exploration. WHEN IS A LADDER EXCITING? In Karnov, that's when.

bob

I love karnov as well. It was well executed for a limited NES game. I woildnt call it "easy", but i havent played it in YEARS.
As for tonma, i only have the PCE version and i like it a lot. The character feels a bit strange, almost like he doesnt even belong there.  Maybe its the stiff movement/animation but it feels like hes disconnected from the rest of the game for some reason.

esteban

Quote from: agent_orange on 07/02/2015, 06:48 PMI love karnov as well. It was well executed for a limited NES game. I woildnt call it "easy", but i havent played it in YEARS.
As for tonma, i only have the PCE version and i like it a lot. The character feels a bit strange, almost like he doesnt even belong there.  Maybe its the stiff movement/animation but it feels like hes disconnected from the rest of the game for some reason.
I agree with you and Venom, the character sprite for Tonma has a lot to be desired. The little bastard has grown on me and now I love him, but, initially, I thought he was "out of place", too.

BUT THAT IS WHAT MAKES HIM LEGENDARY.

LEJENDARY HIRO TONMA

greedostick

It's a good game, but like Splatterhouse, it's pointless to purchase it when there is a far superior arcade version.
IMG

esteban

Quote from: greedostick on 07/02/2015, 11:55 PM
It's a good game, but like Splatterhouse, it's pointless to purchase it when there is a far superior arcade version.
No, that doesn't make any sense. These games are fun, in and of themselves. These games exist and deserve some respect.

WARNING: Rant Incoming :) You know I love you. This rant is directed at everyone in the cosmos, not you, specifically. You are just the messenger. :)

THE MYTH OF PURITY
Fun and "purity" are *not* mutually exclusive. Yet, many folks flatly state that "X version is superior to Y version", thus X is the only one worth one's time.

According to this mentality, all you need is "the purest form of a game"...which is bullshite because I HAVE AN APPETITE FOR ALL PERMUTATIONS OF A GAME. Why? Because fun/entertainment has many forms and variations. And *appreciating* something might actually be an existential experience: how do you *REALLY* know what the "purest form" of a game truly is unless you have played them all for yourself? 

Also, shouldn't the "purest form" of a game be based on what YOU PERSONALLY value and love? The consensus of elite experts might be based upon criteria that you might not necessarily agree with. Also, what is a consensus? What is an expert? What is love? Why ask why?*

I agree that if a console port was FUNDAMENTALLY BROKEN, you** might not want to spend time playing it.

* Drink Bud Dry

* I would still play it, of course :) Not simply because I am a masochist, but because playing video games is a fundamentally existential proposition. Yes, I went there. Yes, I take this too seriously. Yes, I was kind to you and didn't equate your "quest for purity" with a eugenicist's quest for purity. Don't worry, I have already equated the folks who want "absolutely pure video signals" with eugenicists. I am only half-joking when I say the desire for purity, in any form, comes from the same starting point...one of the key challenges in life, then, is how you handle this quest for purity in a fair, honest and moral manner. Oh, you thought I was joking when I said that playing video games was existential? No, I wasn't. Now stop bothering me so I can continue enjoying  Metal Gear (NES).

greedostick

Quote from: esteban on 07/03/2015, 06:50 AM
Quote from: greedostick on 07/02/2015, 11:55 PM
No, that doesn't make any sense. These games are fun, in and of themselves. These games exist and deserve some respect.

WARNING: Rant Incoming :) You know I love you. This rant is directed at everyone in the cosmos, not you, specifically. You are just the messenger. :)

THE MYTH OF PURITY
Fun and "purity" are *not* mutually exclusive. Yet, many folks flatly state that "X version is superior to Y version", thus X is the only one worth one's time.

According to this mentality, all you need is "the purest form of a game"...which is bullshite because I HAVE AN APPETITE FOR ALL PERMUTATIONS OF A GAME. Why? Because fun/entertainment has many forms and variations. And *appreciating* something might actually be an existential experience: how do you *REALLY* know what the "purest form" of a game truly is unless you have played them all for yourself? 

Also, shouldn't the "purest form" of a game be based on what YOU PERSONALLY value and love? The consensus of elite experts might be based upon criteria that you might not necessarily agree with. Also, what is a consensus? What is an expert? What is love? Why ask why?*

I agree that if a console port was FUNDAMENTALLY BROKEN, you** might not want to spend time playing it.

* Drink Bud Dry

* I would still play it, of course :) Not simply because I am a masochist, but because playing video games is a fundamentally existential proposition. Yes, I went there. Yes, I take this too seriously. Yes, I was kind to you and didn't equate your "quest for purity" with a eugenicist's quest for purity. Don't worry, I have already equated the folks who want "absolutely pure video signals" with eugenicists. I am only half-joking when I say the desire for purity, in any form, comes from the same starting point...one of the key challenges in life, then, is how you handle this quest for purity in a fair, honest and moral manner. Oh, you thought I was joking when I said that playing video games was existential? No, I wasn't. Now stop bothering me so I can continue enjoying  Metal Gear (NES).
I understand where you are coming from. There are some games I like to play the arcade version, and the console version. Ghosts n goblins on nes for example. But for the most part I only want to play the best version of a game. I completely understand your reasoning, but my reasoning is that the time in my life is limited, there are already far too many games that I want to complete that I know in my life time will not be completed, so I prefer to play only the best versions of games, in order to fit in other games, because time is limited.
IMG

esteban

QuoteI understand where you are coming from. There are some games I like to play the arcade version, and the console version. Ghosts n goblins on nes for example. But for the most part I only want to play the best version of a game. I completely understand your reasoning, but my reasoning is that the time in my life is limited, there are already far too many games that I want to complete that I know in my life time will not be completed, so I prefer to play only the best versions of games, in order to fit in other games, because time is limited.
I know, and I agree with you :)

Time is the most limited resource. :(

That's why I have forsaken entire generations of video games...I just don't have time for everything. Sure, one of these years I'll try PS3 stuff, but not anytime soon. I have focused primarily on 8-/16-bit for the past 15 years, ha!

:)

Alt-Nintega

Game values are not based on quality of the game, they are based on rarity, how many copies made and relative number of copies that are still floating out there. Yes I can see a point where the game quality maybe increases the value, but that is for the most part irrelevant. (Mario 3 is the best game and it could be bought for $5 or whatever $15). The collectard market only solely cares about the quantity of copies out there, the less there are the higher the price. So you can have an example like this.........Final Lap had 10 times more copies made than Tonma, therefore FLT is $1 and Tonma is $100 (again this is just an example of economy of these games the actual numbers may be different).

NecroPhile

Quote from: greedostick on 07/02/2015, 11:55 PMIt's a good game, but like Splatterhouse, it's pointless to purchase it when there is a far superior arcade version.
I'd say my being able to play Turbochips and not knowing what to do with a PCB is a mighty fine reason.

You purist people are just silly.

bozo55

Quote from: Psycho Alt-Nintega on 07/06/2015, 03:42 PMGame values are not based on quality of the game, they are based on rarity, how many copies made and relative number of copies that are still floating out there. Yes I can see a point where the game quality maybe increases the value, but that is for the most part irrelevant. (Mario 3 is the best game and it could be bought for $5 or whatever $15). The collectard market only solely cares about the quantity of copies out there, the less there are the higher the price. So you can have an example like this.........Final Lap had 10 times more copies made than Tonma, therefore FLT is $1 and Tonma is $100 (again this is just an example of economy of these games the actual numbers may be different).
I agree.  Relative availability as you mentioned is key.  It doesn't matter if several million copies of Mario 3 were produced if no one is willing to sell their copy.  That's why common NES games that people actually want to play have got expensive.