The “What-Did-You-Buy-Today?” Thread

Started by Tatsujin, 06/15/2008, 05:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Medic_wheat

xcrement5x

Dang, goodwill priced a game for $50? 

Edit: Holy balls Lunacy is expensive now. 
Demented Clone Warrior Consensus: "My pirated forum clone is superior/more "moral" than yours, neener neener neener..."  ](*,)

sirhcman

Quote from: guest on 09/28/2015, 11:45 AMDang, goodwill priced a game for $50? 

Yea nice find, shame there is no instructional manual included though. Stupid blockbuster ripping out the guts of the manuals :(

NecroPhile

Quote from: NightWolve on 09/26/2015, 11:30 PMIMG

IMG
Nice pickups!  Some day I'll get around to playing Gulliver Boy for realz, but so far I've mostly just enjoyed the HuVideo.  :mrgreen:
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

Medic_wheat

Quote from: guest on 09/28/2015, 12:14 PM
Quote from: guest on 09/28/2015, 11:45 AMDang, goodwill priced a game for $50? 

Yea nice find, shame there is no instructional manual included though. Stupid blockbuster ripping out the guts of the manuals :(
Yeah well most of the manual was there it was just missing the back cover it seems.

xcrement5x

Pretty nuts how expensive Saturn stuff is now in general.  I owe one gentleman a great deal for helping me finish up what I was looking for a couple years ago. 

Anyway...so this is stuff I have grabbed over the last couple weeks at the thrift when I went by.

IMG
Thrift Finds: LPs and Games by xcrement5x, on Flickr

I don't have many records and have been itching to get something worthwhile for the player I have and found these two interesting LPs for a couple bucks each.  One is opening songs for action shows, and the other is the Weird Al album "Dare to be Stupid".  I grew up listening to Dr. Demento so the Weird Al album was a perfect start for me.

I also found a couple cheap games, Resident Evil is in nice shape but has the Director's Cut version of the game disc in it instead of the original, will try and swap that out later.  Ralli Sport for the XBox is in mint shape with all the inserts and stuff, now I have both of these, the second game is pretty fun too.  There was a second copy as well that was greatest hits but I decided I probably don't need 2 copies of the same game.  :P

Finally, I also grabbed the loose PSOne unit for $5.  It still seems to work like a champ as well.  Plugged it in (used a PS2 slim supply) and that RE game booted up nice and fine without any issues. 
Demented Clone Warrior Consensus: "My pirated forum clone is superior/more "moral" than yours, neener neener neener..."  ](*,)

johnnykonami

Quote from: guest on 09/29/2015, 01:08 PMPretty nuts how expensive Saturn stuff is now in general.  I owe one gentleman a great deal for helping me finish up what I was looking for a couple years ago. 

Anyway...so this is stuff I have grabbed over the last couple weeks at the thrift when I went by.

IMG
Thrift Finds: LPs and Games

I don't have many records and have been itching to get something worthwhile for the player I have and found these two interesting LPs for a couple bucks each.  One is opening songs for action shows, and the other is the Weird Al album "Dare to be Stupid".  I grew up listening to Dr. Demento so the Weird Al album was a perfect start for me.

I also found a couple cheap games, Resident Evil is in nice shape but has the Director's Cut version of the game disc in it instead of the original, will try and swap that out later.  Ralli Sport for the XBox is in mint shape with all the inserts and stuff, now I have both of these, the second game is pretty fun too.  There was a second copy as well that was greatest hits but I decided I probably don't need 2 copies of the same game.  :P

Finally, I also grabbed the loose PSOne unit for $5.  It still seems to work like a champ as well.  Plugged it in (used a PS2 slim supply) and that RE game booted up nice and fine without any issues.
I always wanted a PSONE but never got one.  I have multiple chipped PSX consoles though, all with laser issues.  I should look into fixing/adjusting them...

Medic_wheat

I think I am nearly done with my Saturn collection.

Just missing two WD games. Sega Ages and that WWII game.

Know I am missing one or two of the $100 games still.

But I have picked up most of the harder to find games.

Most of them this year

vmorr

Small victories today.

/309tqhx.jpg

johnnykonami

Quote from: vmorr on 09/29/2015, 01:50 PMSmall victories today.
/309tqhx.jpg
Nice, PS2 was definitely the greatest for Horror games.  Shame a lot of those titles have gotten expensive.  I would love to see some of these re-release on Steam or something.  These, Silent Hill, Fatal Frame, Forbidden Siren...   and stuff like Kuon, too which I haven't even had the pleasure to try yet - would all be top of my list for a digital re-release.

sirhcman

Quote from: Medic_wheat on 09/29/2015, 01:17 PMI think I am nearly done with my Saturn collection.

Just missing two WD games. Sega Ages and that WWII game.

Know I am missing one or two of the $100 games still.

But I have picked up most of the harder to find games.

Most of them this year
Yea they are definitely out there if you look for them. I really beefed up my Saturn collection this year as well, got some excellent deals! There are only a few games I really want at this point and they are Panzer Dragoon Zwei and Winning Post

Sparky

Quote from: johnnykonami on 09/29/2015, 02:03 PM
/309tqhx.jpg
Nice, PS2 was definitely the greatest for Horror games.  Shame a lot of those titles have gotten expensive.  I would love to see some of these re-release on Steam or something.  These, Silent Hill, Fatal Frame, Forbidden Siren...   and stuff like Kuon, too which I haven't even had the pleasure to try yet - would all be top of my list for a digital re-release.
Ya some great horror games on the system, Kuon is well done and a tough find.

Like the Clock Tower series, the Haunting ground you find your self being chased and i do not know about anyone else but that shit freaks me right the f@ck out.

NightWolve

/309tqhx.jpg
Hey cool, Haunting Ground is something I picked up from BestBuy, and one of the few games I beat last couple of years! It's not in the high-end of quality for survival horror games like Resident Evil, Silent Hill 2, etc. but it is a fine Capcom game and worth playing through! I enjoyed it!

vmorr

Quote from: NightWolve on 09/29/2015, 02:36 PM
Hey cool, Haunting Ground is something I picked up from BestBuy, and one of the few games I beat last couple of years! It's not in the high-end of quality for survival horror games like Resident Evil, Silent Hill 2, etc. but it is a fine Capcom game and worth playing through! I enjoyed it!
Yea these will probably be the first horror type games I play. The pair popped up on Kijiji as a "best offer" kinda deal. Googled the titles cause I've never heard of them and liked the cover art. Sounded pretty interesting. Then I hopped on eBay and watched a copy of Rule of Rose go for $250 :shock: I threw the guy what was probably a low ball offer but he took it. He said he had Rule of Rose on eBay as a BIN but too many people were hounding him to make a deal outside of eBay or something and he just wanted to get rid of the pair.

Haunting Ground is good but I guess Rule of Rose was a rental previously and has a label on the front and  back of the cover art and a small one on the manual... Should I attempt to peel?

NightWolve

Wow, so how much did you pay for Haunting Ground ? It was a red-tagged clearance item when I saw it for $15 bucks. Come to think of it, I may have been at Kmart, not Bestbuy. I've bought PS2 clearance items from both stores over the years, though the nearby Kmart just closed on me... Surprised it lasted this long competing against Walmart. While you do find better deals at Walmart, sometimes there are cheaper rarities at Kmart worth your time. I got great deals on some drawers way back with big instant rebates with the member card, so I bought 5 of them.

EDIT: Oh nevermind, I see, you can't really say, you bought it with the other one that's been the subject of crazed big-spenders... But upon checking eBay out it looks like it too has been driven up. :/ I don't think you'll be that impressed with the game given the money you spent, but oh well...

xcrement5x

Quote from: NightWolve on 09/29/2015, 04:47 PMWow, so how much did you pay for Haunting Ground ? It was a red-tagged clearance item when I saw it for $15 bucks. Come to think of it, I may have been a Kmart, not Bestbuy. I've bought PS2 clearance items from both stores over the years, though the nearby Kmart just closed on me... Surprised it lasted this long competing against Walmart. While you do find better deals at Walmart, sometimes there are cheaper rarities at Kmart worth your time. I got great deals on some drawers way back with big instant rebates with the member card, so I bought 5 of them.

EDIT: Oh nevermind, I see, you can't really say, you bought it with the other one that's been the subject of crazed big-spenders... But upon checking eBay out it looks like it too has been driven up. :/ I don't think you'll be that impressed with the game given the money you spent, but oh well...
Yeah, those two are super expensive now.  I got my copy of Haunting Ground for like $3 several years ago, the $15 for Rule of Rose seemed like a lot for a horror game with mixed reviews.  Looking back I wish I had grabbed it, because even if I wanted to play it, it would cost a fortune to buy and play a legit copy now.

EvilEvoIX

Just some common finds I picked up recently.  Looking forward to playing the SNES version of Dragons Lair.  Looks good.

IMG
IMG
IMGIMGIMG
Quote from: PCEngineHellI already dropped him a message on there and he did not reply back, so fuck him, and his cunt wife.

vmorr

Quote from: NightWolve on 09/29/2015, 04:47 PMWow, so how much did you pay for Haunting Ground ? It was a red-tagged clearance item when I saw it for $15 bucks. Come to think of it, I may have been a Kmart, not Bestbuy. I've bought PS2 clearance items from both stores over the years, though the nearby Kmart just closed on me... Surprised it lasted this long competing against Walmart. While you do find better deals at Walmart, sometimes there are cheaper rarities at Kmart worth your time. I got great deals on some drawers way back with big instant rebates with the member card, so I bought 5 of them.

I paid $100 (or I guess $70USD) for them, which I thought was fair because I'm not flipping them and had no interest in them prior to stumbling upon them. There are a handful of games I'd rather pay face for. I'm excited to play them sooner or later, last few random games I've played have been considered mediocre but I really enjoyed them. I'd start playing them now with Halloween coming up but I'm super f***ed with school at the moment.

Anyone know why the prices are what they are for these games? Collectard pieces or cult following?

NightWolve

Quote from: vmorr on 09/29/2015, 06:29 PMAnyone know why the prices are what they are for these games? Collectard pieces or cult following?
Yeah, the usual reasons I guess. Something just happens in those auctions where 2 or more knuckleheads are competing against each other, it gets bid up high in the process cause neither want to quit below <$50, everybody sees the eBay history and that somebody just paid $80 bucks for that old thing, so BINs start appearing around the range of where such auctions ended which are held on to for a while, etc.

A combination of big "MUST-COMPLETE-MY-COLLECTION-NOW" spenders , impatience, maybe some gamer channel giving it great reviews creating many more interested buyers, the eBay trending price feature, and then supply of the particular product going down, etc. It's all of that. Even when somebody does start an auction low, you see it get bid up again back around to where it was, so that shows you have too many big-spenders around willing to go that high and not enough of the item to go around.

Of course there's some shenanigans with professional resellers in the mix, but I think ultimately it's big-spenders who are setting the ranges and in turn tempting everybody else who might own the item if they ever see this... Like, I have "Bonk III: Bonk's Big Adventure" in very good condition CIB and I just saw an auction where somebody paid $700 bucks for the thing, that shit is tempting for me to throw it up on eBay some day hoping to catch 2 or more knuckleheads like that who think it's worth that much should they compete for it! But then if more of that history is created, when you wanna buy something, everything is long gone out of your price range and only those same big-spending nuts will ever get to own real copies...

It's crazy, I mean, it's a boring ass game, I think mostly cause of the music, but $700 ? Why didn't they give up at $100 during the auction process ? No no, I'll try $150, oh no, the other guy still wants it, OK, $200, damn, that other f--ker STILL wants it, OK, I'll throw $300 at this thing, shit, he outbid me again, f--k this guy, I'm gonna make sure he doesn't get it, OK, I'll throw $400 at this thing, holy fuck, he outbid me to $450... What to do, OK, f--k it, I'm ALL IN BABY, $500!!! NO ? $600 then!!!! BEAT THAT BUDDY!!! On and on and on and on and on! Till we get the madness that is Magical Chase where we've seen auctions end at $2000 to $3000 to $4000, etc.

Mathius

This collector mentality has really been eating away at me over the years. I barely even watch YouTube anymore, save for Turbo Views, just for the simple fact that I can't stomach the collector culture anymore. I saw a guy today who I normally respect talk about his new Everdrive 64. His number one reason for buying the thing was so that he didn't have to "ruin" his CIB games by, you know, actually opening them and playing them. Now I realize that this is a real strategy used by many people, but the way he talked about it made me feel weird inside. My heart was saying, "This is wrong."

jeffhlewis

I came home from an event last week after one too many drinks and decided to clear out my eBay watch list, showcased below:

IMG

Aaaaaaand...those fools over at Mondo/DataDiscs finally shipped out the Sega officially licensed vinyl soundtrack collections, volume 1 and 2:

IMG

Volume 3 and 4 are Shinobi 3 and Super Hang On, respectively, followed up next by Streets of Rage 2 and Outrun (!).

The best part - for some of the SoR1 vinyl, they recorded directly from the PC-88 software that Koshiro used to compose it.

Mathius

Quote from: jeffhlewis on 09/29/2015, 11:01 PMThe best part - for some of the SoR1 vinyl, they recorded directly from the PC-88 software that Koshiro used to compose it.
This is the coolest thing that's never happened to me.

Sparky

Quote from: Mathius on 09/29/2015, 09:15 PMThis collector mentality has really been eating away at me over the years. I barely even watch YouTube anymore, save for Turbo Views, just for the simple fact that I can't stomach the collector culture anymore. I saw a guy today who I normally respect talk about his new Everdrive 64. His number one reason for buying the thing was so that he didn't have to "ruin" his CIB games by, you know, actually opening them and playing them. Now I realize that this is a real strategy used by many people, but the way he talked about it made me feel weird inside. My heart was saying, "This is wrong."
Hugs.. Ya man

xcrement5x

Quote from: jeffhlewis on 09/29/2015, 11:01 PMAaaaaaand...those fools over at Mondo/DataDiscs finally shipped out the Sega officially licensed vinyl soundtrack collections, volume 1 and 2:

Volume 3 and 4 are Shinobi 3 and Super Hang On, respectively, followed up next by Streets of Rage 2 and Outrun (!).

The best part - for some of the SoR1 vinyl, they recorded directly from the PC-88 software that Koshiro used to compose it.
I'm hoping to get the a copy of SoR2 and Outrun.  I was really close to pulling the trigger on the splatter version they did for SoR but couldn't justify the money at that point despite how awesome it looked.  SoR 2 however has one of the best soundtracks on the Genny IMHO, so that will be an instant purchase. 

NecroPhile

I found a Star Parodier and an Ave 3 pad in yesterday's mail.  I don't know why I put off buying Star Parodier for so long, as it's a fantastic shewty and well worth the price.

geise

Quote from: Mathius on 09/29/2015, 11:43 PM
Quote from: jeffhlewis on 09/29/2015, 11:01 PMThe best part - for some of the SoR1 vinyl, they recorded directly from the PC-88 software that Koshiro used to compose it.
This is the coolest thing that's never happened to me.
Yeah that is amazing.

EvilEvoIX

Craigslist find, great price and has some Hudson Goodness for some Obey style action.  I have a SNES already but the older Yellowed ones tend to work better with Game Genies so I actually prefer the OG Yellowed one's. 

IMG
IMG
IMG
IMG

I yanked out the Plastic "Copy Protect" prongs so it plays Super Famicom Carts now easily.

IMG
IMGIMGIMG
Quote from: PCEngineHellI already dropped him a message on there and he did not reply back, so fuck him, and his cunt wife.

ToyMachine78

Quote from: jeffhlewis on 09/29/2015, 11:01 PMI came home from an event last week after one too many drinks and decided to clear out my eBay watch list, showcased below:

IMG

Aaaaaaand...those fools over at Mondo/DataDiscs finally shipped out the Sega officially licensed vinyl soundtrack collections, volume 1 and 2:

IMG

Nice pickups. Drunk ebaying is dangerous though... But oh so satisfying

ToyMachine78

My pickups over the summer:

IMG

Donations from Nulltard. Thanks man, I owe ya! My turbob is finally whole .... Yes I know... The Jo crystal needs charging.

IMG
IMG

I like Pi!

IMG
IMG

Thanks to gamesack for the sweet home tip. Awesome game

IMG
IMG
IMG

NightWolve

Nulltard made a DoxPhile labeled mouse pad ?? Heh-heh. I guess given the mugs I shouldn't seem surprised.

Digi.k

Been waiting all day for this to arrived and now ..

IMG
IMG

Bloufo

Nice rubberized type griping surface. And the d-pad on it is actually quite decent.

That Trailblazer game is pretty good.

IMG

bob

Thrift finds.  The PS2 and Xbox games all look like brand new discs.
Myst is sealed, and I'm a total sucker for any odd-ball pac man stuff.  I have never seen this box art before.  Also picked up Arcade Classics for OG Game Boy (not pictured).

/suffer.jpg

esteban

Quote from: Bloufo on 10/03/2015, 11:09 AMNice rubberized type griping surface. And the d-pad on it is actually quite decent.

IMG
I forgot about this.

All I remember is the drama surrounding the executives (crashing a Lamborghini and $$$??? ), or something like that.

It's been many years.

Quote from: agent_orange on 10/03/2015, 02:05 PMI have never seen this box art before.  Also picked up Arcade Classics for OG Game Boy (not pictured).

/suffer.jpg
That art is worth the price of admission!

Scan that for me—it's totally surreal. Alternate universe Pac Man (it's too damn literal).
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

EvilEvoIX

Quote from: esteban on 10/03/2015, 04:05 PM
Quote from: Bloufo on 10/03/2015, 11:09 AMNice rubberized type griping surface. And the d-pad on it is actually quite decent.

IMG
I forgot about this.

All I remember is the drama surrounding the executives (crashing a Lamborghini and $$$??? ), or something like that.

It's been many years.

Quote from: agent_orange on 10/03/2015, 02:05 PMI have never seen this box art before.  Also picked up Arcade Classics for OG Game Boy (not pictured).

/suffer.jpg
That art is worth the price of admission!

Scan that for me—it's totally surreal. Alternate universe Pac Man (it's too damn literal).
I believe it was an Enzo Ferrari.  In excess of a million dollars for those cars.
IMGIMGIMG

Sparky

Quote from: agent_orange on 10/03/2015, 02:05 PMThrift finds.  The PS2 and Xbox games all look like brand new discs.
Myst is sealed, and I'm a total sucker for any odd-ball pac man stuff.  I have never seen this box art before.  Also picked up Arcade Classics for OG Game Boy (not pictured).
/suffer.jpg
Indigo Prophecy is a great game my friend, the beginning is awesome where you start and what are you going to do.

InfraMan

Oooooh, I've always loved that Pac-Man cover art... it's just so ridiculously wrong. #-o

Publishers exercised a lot of artistic license back in those days when it came to box art. I guess they kind of had to, since most games were basically just squares shooting squares at slightly larger squares.

I think the astronauts on the cover of Super Breakout were my favorite. Ain't no astronauts in Super Breakout! :D

esteban

Quote from: InfraMan on 10/03/2015, 06:54 PMOooooh, I've always loved that Pac-Man cover art... it's just so ridiculously wrong. #-o

Publishers exercised a lot of artistic license back in those days when it came to box art. I guess they kind of had to, since most games were basically just squares shooting squares at slightly larger squares.

I think the astronauts on the cover of Super Breakout were my favorite. Ain't no astronauts in Super Breakout! :D
Yeah, a lot of Atari 2600 cover art was amazing, and completely unrelated to the game itself.

:)
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

NightWolve

Quote from: esteban on 10/03/2015, 09:08 PM
Quote from: InfraMan on 10/03/2015, 06:54 PMOooooh, I've always loved that Pac-Man cover art... it's just so ridiculously wrong. #-o

Yeah, a lot of Atari 2600 cover art was amazing, and completely unrelated to the game itself.

Yeah, funny this came up, it reminded me how angry I got as a kid after dumping a bunch of money on a game partly because the artwork was so great which falsely led me to believe the game could deliver in the same vein... Good thing a rental system arrived which ended dumping $50 bucks on a game only to beat it in 2-3 days, and not really care about it ever after along with the other disappointments as mentioned.

InfraMan

I'm totally guilty of buying my share of 2600 games just for the awesome box art.

Seems to be something of a lost art these days, sadly.

Mathius

Quote from: esteban on 10/03/2015, 09:08 PM

And this is why I love the 2600. IMO that is it's defining feature.

Bloufo

IMG
I forgot about this.

It's been many years.
You're thinking of that Swedish guy (Stefan Eriksson) with ties to the mafia. He was pissed out of his face when he totalled that Ferrari. The car actually split in half.

Interesting character.

Embezzlement, grand theft auto, cocaine possession, and weapons charges make up the rest of his "resumé".   :P

EvilEvoIX

Quote from: Bloufo on 10/04/2015, 06:29 AM

IMG
I forgot about this.

All I remember is the drama surrounding the executives (crashing a Lamborghini and $$$?), or something like that.

It's been many years.
You're thinking of that Swedish guy (Stefan Eriksson) with ties to the mafia. He was pissed out of his face when he totalled that Ferrari. The car actually split in half.

Interesting character.

Embezzlement, grand theft auto, cocaine possession, and weapons charges make up the rest of his "resumé".   :P
Great read here:

http://archive.wired.com/wired/archive/14.10/gizmondo.html

IMG
IMG
IMG

Anyway here are some recent pickups I just got.  Batman Returns for the SNES is quite a good beat em' up, so is power rangers as well.  Can't wait to try Super Mario Sunshine.

IMG
IMG
IMGIMGIMG

lwizardl

I posted about this on a couple facebook groups today, Hope I didn't out bid anyone in here. I managed to score a PC Engine Duo-R tonight on ebay for $99 plus $30 shipping :)

The system has the card door cover, the system wont read cd games but that can be easy to fix. Will need to get power cable and controller but I'm going to be happy once I get this region modded and RGB av modded on it.

IMG
IMG
IMG

Includes a cd based game that I am not sure which one that is yet. I can read super on the label but that is all.

James

sirhcman

Nice pick up,  here is the included game:
http://www.pcengine.co.uk/HTML_Games/Pro_Yakyu_Super.htm

lwizardl

thanks I figured it was a Pro Yakyu game will be my 3rd game in the series hehe

OldMan

QuoteCan't wait to try Super Mario Sunshine.
As dumb as the premise is, I thought it was a blast. (no pun intended)
Lots of good times with that one.

Bloufo

The home button doesn't always work. That's on me, though. When I changed the battery (the replacement just won't fit all that comfortably seeing as that new battery is a little longer and thicker) I reckon I must have inadvertently caused some issue in there.

No biggie, though. In any case, the unit has touch-screen capabilities, so in most instances I'm able to exit to "home" via that touch-screen.

IMG

NecroPhile

Pardon my pic post whoring:

IMG

Since it was a freebie, it's worth mentioning twice.  :mrgreen:

xcrement5x

NecroPhile, that cover looks pretty sensual.  Like the dude is in the throes of ecstasy. 

IMG
Anime Laserdiscs and BubbleGum Crisis &quot;cels&quot; by xcrement5x, on Flickr

Normally I don't post ebay pickups but these were neat enough and I was excited to get them.  Prices were pretty good too from the seller considering how obscure anime LDs are. 

Phantom Quest Corps Volumes 1 & 2
U-Jin Brand  :O
Rupan (Lupin) III Movies
-The Fuma Conspiracy
-Legend of the Gold of Babylon

Plus two "anime cels" from BubbleGum Crisis. They are numbered, limited edition prints called Chroma Cels by Ani-Magine.  Supposedly these are high-quality reproductions of original animation cels created with an exclusive printing technology.  They look neat enough at least for what I paid.