10/31/2023: Localization News - Dead of the Brain 1!

No, NOT a trick, a Halloween treat! Presenting the Dead of the Brain 1 English patch by David Shadoff for the DEAD last official PC Engine CD game published by NEC before exiting the console biz in 1999! I helped edit/betatest and it's also a game I actually finished in 2023, yaaay! Shubibiman also did a French localization. github.com/dshadoff/DeadoftheBrain
twitter.com/NightWolve/PCENews
Main Menu

Retro VGS Game Console

Started by Mathius, 03/28/2015, 10:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gentlegamer

IMG
Quote from: VenomMacbeth on 10/25/2015, 02:35 PMGentle with games, rough with collectards.  Riders gon riiiiide.

SignOfZeta

He seems to be saying the same thing every other sane person has said all along.

Even he dismisses carts though. That I don't get. The most profitable system on the planet right now (that isn't running iOS) runs on carts. It's called the 3DS. Vita also uses carts. They aren't dead or a thing of the past, not yet anyway. They are $40 games that sell as many as ten million copies. They are flash based (that's really really hard to avoid now) and they "load" the same as if they were CD, but they are carts for sure. I don't see this being a problem for a project like this.
IMG

CGQuarterly

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 10/02/2015, 12:35 PMHe seems to be saying the same thing every other sane person has said all along.

Even he dismisses carts though. That I don't get. The most profitable system on the planet right now (that isn't running iOS) runs on carts. It's called the 3DS. Vita also uses carts. They aren't dead or a thing of the past, not yet anyway. They are $40 games that sell as many as ten million copies. They are flash based (that's really really hard to avoid now) and they "load" the same as if they were CD, but they are carts for sure. I don't see this being a problem for a project like this.
I think the problem is that the system was intended to run games that are usually distributed digitally and are priced accordingly.  I can buy Mario Kart 7 for the 3DS either on a cart, or download it from the Nintendo eShop, but I'm going to pay the same price either way.  The Retro VGS is ostensibly taking games that sell for $10-20 in digital form, and trying to sell them on a cartridge for $40-60.

Edit: You could use the Sega 3D classics on the 3DS as an example.  They sell for $6 each.  If Sega tried to sell them individually on carts in retail packaging for $19.99 each, the only people who would buy them would be collectards.  Now, if they sold a compilation cart here (as they do in Japan) then that would be a different story.  But at the end of the day, the only people who would be willing to bay much more than $6 per title included on the cart would be collectards and staunch anti-digital folks.

Gentlegamer

I'm proudly anti-digital.
IMG
Quote from: VenomMacbeth on 10/25/2015, 02:35 PMGentle with games, rough with collectards.  Riders gon riiiiide.

GreatBlue Swirlof99

Wasn't  this thing supposed to  Be kickstarted on Septembr 14?!? It's October 3 and I'm getting impatient to see it bomb! 😀
The Dreamcast is still alive, so go play it before it kills your family!

CrackTiger

Quote from: GreatBlueSwirlof99 on 10/04/2015, 08:14 AMWasn't  this thing supposed to  Be kickstarted on Septembr 14?!? It's October 3 and I'm getting impatient to see it bomb! 😀
So impatient that you haven't read any of this this thread or anything else online for a very long time.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

Gredler

Quote from: guest on 10/04/2015, 09:24 AM
Quote from: GreatBlueSwirlof99 on 10/04/2015, 08:14 AMWasn't  this thing supposed to  Be kickstarted on Septembr 14?!? It's October 3 and I'm getting impatient to see it bomb! 😀
So impatient that you haven't read any of this this thread or anything else online for a very long time.
Classic

NightWolve

TheGreatBlueBumblerOf99 strikes again!

_Paul

o.pwuaioc

No idea why you guys don't already have him on ignore. He's not even so dumb that he's funny.

NightWolve

Quote from: elmer on 09/26/2015, 02:11 AMI'm still scratching my head trying to figure out how this could possibly have got even weirder
than before.
Quote from: JohnCarlsonThe true visionary behind this project is Mike Kennedy. He's also a marketing person with a big heart, and he wants to reciprocate the enthusiasm our followers show us by being totally open and sharing everything. I get it, and I admire him for that. But he talks, and he talks about everything I show or tell him. Again, he's a marketing person, and that's what marketing people do.

Knowing this about Mike (and about marketing people in general), causes me (as an engineer) to be very cautious in choosing what I share with him. The reason for this is very simple: our inventions are valuable, and premature public disclosure of our inventions would cause us to lose the ability to protect them with patents.
For most of this year I've been working crazy long startup hours on this project. I've drained my own savings to pay for both my living expenses and building prototype circuits. I have invested a lot of time and money, I have a lot to show for it.

The problem is: I can't patent what I share publicly. As a result, I've been protecting my inventions as if they were my own children.
RETRO VGS first quick demo
Now their tech guy is claiming that there is a prototype, but he's not told his "boss" because he's afraid that it would spoil his ability to patent all the new inventions ... that he's already started to patent ... without telling his boss ... and so presumably by himself ... meanwhile leaving his partners flapping in the wind for a week with a failing crowdfunding campaign.

What a f**king great guy to go into business with!

Apart from which ... what the heck is patentable!!!! All that he's got to show is basically a Raspberry PI stuffed under a Jag-Wire shell, running X-Windows ... or maybe even less!!!!

I just don't know how to deal with this particular level of crazy sh*t!!!!  :shock:  ](*,)  :shock:
FYI folks, but these Retro VGS guys attempted to deny us the experience to occasionally go back and enjoy their embarrassing "working prototype" demo video! That's right, they deleted it (those bastards!) which invalidated elmer's original link above and would've denied the future the full retro experience of this event, BUT, someone else saw this unjust attempt to deny the lulz our beloved Internet so craves and thwarted it! Having captured it when it was live, he was able to reupload it to his own account along with a brief intro to provide some context to the great debacle that is the now Retro VGS. The Internet applauds his efforts!

Oh, and before watching, if you're not up-to-speed about how "premature" ejaculation disclosure could lead to a loss of patent rights and why the Retro VGS team was a bit "shy" with revelations of tech specs earlier on, a quick web search should bring you up to speed on this matter...  :roll:

With that said, presenting, once again, the not-so-great John Carlsen:

John Carlsen's deleted "RETRO VGS first quick demo"
Another interesting video on Retro VGS from the same reviewer that has followed it since its inception. He made some interesting points about Mike Kennedy's "Retro Land," as he coins it, a place that can only ever mostly exist in Mike's head and the past:

Mike Kennedy or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Retro VGS

CrackTiger

Quote from: guest on 10/04/2015, 02:40 PMNo idea why you guys don't already have him on ignore. He's not even so dumb that he's funny.
I don't have anyone on ignore.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

CGQuarterly

Quote from: NightWolve on 10/04/2015, 09:16 PM
Quote from: elmer on 09/26/2015, 02:11 AMI'm still scratching my head trying to figure out how this could possibly have got even weirder
than before.
Quote from: JohnCarlsonThe true visionary behind this project is Mike Kennedy. He's also a marketing person with a big heart, and he wants to reciprocate the enthusiasm our followers show us by being totally open and sharing everything. I get it, and I admire him for that. But he talks, and he talks about everything I show or tell him. Again, he's a marketing person, and that's what marketing people do.

Knowing this about Mike (and about marketing people in general), causes me (as an engineer) to be very cautious in choosing what I share with him. The reason for this is very simple: our inventions are valuable, and premature public disclosure of our inventions would cause us to lose the ability to protect them with patents.
For most of this year I've been working crazy long startup hours on this project. I've drained my own savings to pay for both my living expenses and building prototype circuits. I have invested a lot of time and money, I have a lot to show for it.

The problem is: I can't patent what I share publicly. As a result, I've been protecting my inventions as if they were my own children.
RETRO VGS first quick demo
Now their tech guy is claiming that there is a prototype, but he's not told his "boss" because he's afraid that it would spoil his ability to patent all the new inventions ... that he's already started to patent ... without telling his boss ... and so presumably by himself ... meanwhile leaving his partners flapping in the wind for a week with a failing crowdfunding campaign.

What a f**king great guy to go into business with!

Apart from which ... what the heck is patentable!!!! All that he's got to show is basically a Raspberry PI stuffed under a Jag-Wire shell, running X-Windows ... or maybe even less!!!!

I just don't know how to deal with this particular level of crazy sh*t!!!!  :shock:  ](*,)  :shock:
FYI folks, but these Retro VGS guys attempted to deny us the experience to occasionally go back and enjoy their embarrassing "working prototype" demo video! That's right, they deleted it (those bastards!) which invalidated elmer's original link above and would've denied the future the full retro experience of this event, BUT, someone else saw this unjust attempt to deny the lulz our beloved Internet so craves and thwarted it! Having captured it when it was live, he was able to reupload it to his own account along with a brief intro to provide some context to the great debacle that is the now Retro VGS. The Internet applauds his efforts!

Oh, and before watching, if you're not up-to-speed about how "premature" ejaculation disclosure could lead to a loss of patent rights and why the Retro VGS team was a bit "shy" with revelations of tech specs earlier on, a quick web search should bring you up to speed on this matter...  :roll:

With that said, presenting, once again, the not-so-great John Carlsen:

John Carlsen's deleted "RETRO VGS first quick demo"
Another interesting video on Retro VGS from the same reviewer that has followed it since its inception. He made some interesting points about Mike Kennedy's "Retro Land," as he coins it, a place that can only ever mostly exist in Mike's head and the past:

Mike Kennedy or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Retro VGS
Retro VGS Remix on Vimeo

NightWolve

:lol:

Not bad, could've used a bit more work, but it gave me some lulz as-is. :)

Gentlegamer

http://www.retrousb.com/product_info.php?cPath=30&products_id=141

System Compatibility List:

Works on authentic Nintendo Systems including NTSC, PAL A, PAL B, and Asian systems.
Works on clones like the FC Twin, NEX, Yobo, and Retro Duo.
Untested on Famicom using 72-60 pin converter, should work.
Untested on portable systems, likely to work (but your batteries won't last)
Does not work on stolen software emulators like the Retron 5
Does not work on RetroVGS
IMG

CrackTiger

I love how the RVGS was hyped as being backed by big name industry types and that they got quotes from much bigger names saying how excited they were for it and that it was an entire console which would open up a whole new library of software, blah, blah, blah...

But it failed hilariously while a non-existent game based on a relatively obscure cartoon from the 90's is so successful getting funded. :)

Bloufo

Quote from: guest on 10/05/2015, 01:58 PMI love how the RVGS was hyped as being backed by big name industry types and that they got quotes from much bigger names saying how excited they were for it and that it was an entire console which would open up a whole new library of software, blah, blah, blah...
The amount of name dropping by Mike Kennedy reached stratospheric levels. :lol:

Psycho Punch

Quote from: ctophil on 09/07/2015, 03:55 PMI think the RETRO VGS is a great idea.  I've bought reproduction carts of classic games for the past 3 years, as well as homebrew games.  I love buying old NES, SNES, or Sega Genesis games that never got an English translation and then finding new life in a repro cart complete with box, manual, and poster fully in English.  I believe the RETRO VGS will be more than just a system for indie titles.  It could be a home for old classics receiving HD Remasters, a breath of fresh air for budding game developers to achieve their dream of developing for a classic system like the SNES, Genesis, or even the Neo Geo, and you can even develop new games that take advantage of the full capabilities of the RETRO VGS.

Just imagine Square Enix, Konami, and Capcom jumping on board to revive their classic Secret of Mana & Final Fantasy titles, Castlevania, or even Mega Man?  If they find the HD Remasters working out, maybe they will even develop original content.

Frankly, I'm tired of the "digital revolution," where everything is downloadable to your hard drive.  Sure, it's convenient.  But I WANT a physical instruction manual, collectible maps & posters, and decent artwork on my game box.  Mike Kennedy knows his RETRO business because he is developing a console that is striving to stay away from the digital world (no internet connection for updates and such).  20 years from now, I want the RETRO VGS to still function without needing some patch from the Internet, unlike the Xbox One where it tries to connect to the Internet for every little thing.  I can't even play Killer Instinct on Xbox One without it saying, "The Console needs to go online for a game update."  You can't even save the game without the update?!?

I haven't heard anything about the system's price yet until the Kickstarter next week.  I wouldn't judge its price just yet until the official announcement.  Please support the RETRO VGS if you can.  I think it will make a statement to the mainstream console manufacturers. 
This Toxic Turbo Turd/Troll & Clone Warrior calls himself "Burning Fight!!" on Neo-Geo.com
For a good time, reach out to: aleffrenan94@gmail.com or punchballmariobros@gmail.com
Like DildoKobold, dildos are provided free of charge, no need to bring your own! :lol:
He also ran scripts to steal/clone this forum which blew up the error logs! I had to delete THOUSANDS of errors cause of this nutcase!
how_to_spell_ys_sign_origin_ver.webp

_Paul

Quote from: CrackTiger on 10/05/2015, 01:58 PMI love how the RVGS was hyped as being backed by big name industry types and that they got quotes from much bigger names saying how excited they were for it and that it was an entire console which would open up a whole new library of software, blah, blah, blah...

But it failed hilariously while a non-existent game based on a relatively obscure cartoon from the 90's is so successful getting funded. :)
80s

NightWolve

Quote from: guest on 10/05/2015, 05:07 PM
Quote from: ctophil on 09/07/2015, 03:55 PMI think the RETRO VGS is a great idea.  I've bought reproduction carts of classic games for the past 3 years, as well as homebrew games.  I love buying old NES, SNES, or Sega Genesis games that never got an English translation and then finding new life in a repro cart complete with box, manual, and poster fully in English.  I believe the RETRO VGS will be more than just a system for indie titles.  It could be a home for old classics receiving HD Remasters, a breath of fresh air for budding game developers to achieve their dream of developing for a classic system like the SNES, Genesis, or even the Neo Geo, and you can even develop new games that take advantage of the full capabilities of the RETRO VGS.

Just imagine Square Enix, Konami, and Capcom jumping on board to revive their classic Secret of Mana & Final Fantasy titles, Castlevania, or even Mega Man?  If they find the HD Remasters working out, maybe they will even develop original content.

Frankly, I'm tired of the "digital revolution," where everything is downloadable to your hard drive.  Sure, it's convenient.  But I WANT a physical instruction manual, collectible maps & posters, and decent artwork on my game box.  Mike Kennedy knows his RETRO business because he is developing a console that is striving to stay away from the digital world (no internet connection for updates and such).  20 years from now, I want the RETRO VGS to still function without needing some patch from the Internet, unlike the Xbox One where it tries to connect to the Internet for every little thing.  I can't even play Killer Instinct on Xbox One without it saying, "The Console needs to go online for a game update."  You can't even save the game without the update?!?

I haven't heard anything about the system's price yet until the Kickstarter next week.  I wouldn't judge its price just yet until the official announcement.  Please support the RETRO VGS if you can.  I think it will make a statement to the mainstream console manufacturers. 
:)

"Retro Land" is VERY real to some... Quit being a hater's hater! ;)

CrackTiger

Quote from: guest on 10/05/2015, 05:09 PM
Quote from: CrackTiger on 10/05/2015, 01:58 PMI love how the RVGS was hyped as being backed by big name industry types and that they got quotes from much bigger names saying how excited they were for it and that it was an entire console which would open up a whole new library of software, blah, blah, blah...

80s
I believe that it got more exposure in rereuns. YTV aired it for several years off and on.

NecroPhile

Quote from: Psycho Punch on 10/05/2015, 05:07 PM

These jokers totally fumbled the execution, but that doesn't mean the underlying idea completely without merit.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

CrackTiger

I think that physical releases of the new original games, as well as new translations for 8 and 16-bit gen consoles is a great idea.  I've bought carts and CDs of homebrew games for the past 15 years, as well as played homebrew roms.  I love playing old NES, SNES, or Sega Genesis games that never got localized and then finding new life in an English translation and it would be nice to have official carts and CDs complete with box, manual, and poster fully in English.  I believe that classic consoles are much more lucrative to develop for than poorly faked "retro" games.  Publishers could make a lot of money even just re-releasing old classics that are currently gouged out of reach of actual game fans. It would also be a breath of fresh air for budding game developers to achieve their dream of developing for a classic system like the SNES, Genesis, or even the Neo Geo, instead of the antithesis of classic gaming that is the RETRO VGS idea.

Just imagine Square Enix, Konami, and Capcom jumping on board to revive their classic Secret of Mana & Final Fantasy titles, Castlevania, or even Mega Man?  If they find that sequels to classic series working out, maybe they will even develop original content.

Frankly, I'm tired of the faux "retro" scene, where everything is inauthentic to both the hardware running it and the hardware inspiring it.  Sure, it's close enough for young casual game collectors.  But I want REAL 8 & 16-bit games. A physical instruction manual, collectible maps & posters, and decent artwork on my game box is a wasted if it's packaged around a soulless game out of time.  Mike Kennedy knows his RETRO magazine business is floundering, yet he is developing a console that is striving to stay as far away from real hardware and games as possible. (no game-playing enthusiast would waste their time on a fake platform for shovelware fake games).  20 years from now, I want the 8 & 16-bit generation consoles to still receive new original games, without needing to play them through emulation, unlike the RETRO VGS which strictly emulates everything.  I wouldn't be able play a game on a fake piece of shit like the RETRO VGS without saying, "I feel nothing for this Emulation Box nor its emulated games."  You can't even hook it up to a CRT and play games in 240p?!?

Please avoid the RETRO VGS and encourage others to do so.  I think it will make a statement to the mainstream and indie game publishers that we aren't interested in fake games or fake consoles.

Feel free to quote me so that I can't try to change it later.

Psycho Punch

Necro the point is that ctophil's quote not only is an extreme example of wishful thinking, it was made in the middle of the RVGS drama (where people not blinded by nostalgia already spotted serious flaws with their project). It was funny since when he wrote it. I mean, the last phrase "I think it will make a statement to the mainstream console manufacturers." represents the whole post perfectly. :lol:

I really want to see kevtris making something like RVGS with his HW designs because I'm sure it will be the opposite of it: focus on gaming, creator with actual experience in working on similar projects, prototypes of target design already made, not overpriced, not mismanaged, not wishing to be the next Nintendo Wii ("make a statement to console manufacturers!", just like the Ouya did with perfection  :-"), not with LE bullshit, using something that isn't associated with the Atari Jaguar, etc. (in short, not a Collectard Station)
This Toxic Turbo Turd/Troll & Clone Warrior calls himself "Burning Fight!!" on Neo-Geo.com
For a good time, reach out to: aleffrenan94@gmail.com or punchballmariobros@gmail.com
Like DildoKobold, dildos are provided free of charge, no need to bring your own! :lol:
He also ran scripts to steal/clone this forum which blew up the error logs! I had to delete THOUSANDS of errors cause of this nutcase!

esadajr

Quote from: guest on 10/05/2015, 07:25 PMI think that physical releases of the new original games, as well as new translations for 8 and 16-bit gen consoles is a great idea.  I've bought carts and CDs of homebrew games for the past 15 years, as well as played homebrew roms.  I love playing old NES, SNES, or Sega Genesis games that never got localized and then finding new life in an English translation and it would be nice to have official carts and CDs complete with box, manual, and poster fully in English.  I believe that classic consoles are much more lucrative to develop for than poorly faked "retro" games.  Publishers could make a lot of money even just re-releasing old classics that are currently gouged out of reach of actual game fans. It would also be a breath of fresh air for budding game developers to achieve their dream of developing for a classic system like the SNES, Genesis, or even the Neo Geo, instead of the antithesis of classic gaming that is the RETRO VGS idea.

Just imagine Square Enix, Konami, and Capcom jumping on board to revive their classic Secret of Mana & Final Fantasy titles, Castlevania, or even Mega Man?  If they find that sequels to classic series working out, maybe they will even develop original content.

Frankly, I'm tired of the faux "retro" scene, where everything is inauthentic to both the hardware running it and the hardware inspiring it.  Sure, it's close enough for young casual game collectors.  But I want REAL 8 & 16-bit games. A physical instruction manual, collectible maps & posters, and decent artwork on my game box is a wasted if it's packaged around a soulless game out of time.  Mike Kennedy knows his RETRO magazine business is floundering, yet he is developing a console that is striving to stay as far away from real hardware and games as possible. (no game-playing enthusiast would waste their time on a fake platform for shovelware fake games).  20 years from now, I want the 8 & 16-bit generation consoles to still receive new original games, without needing to play them through emulation, unlike the RETRO VGS which strictly emulates everything.  I wouldn't be able play a game on a fake piece of shit like the RETRO VGS without saying, "I feel nothing for this Emulation Box nor its emulated games."  You can't even hook it up to a CRT and play games in 240p?!?

Please avoid the RETRO VGS and encourage others to do so.  I think it will make a statement to the mainstream and indie game publishers that we aren't interested in fake games or fake consoles.

Feel free to quote me so that I can't try to change it later.
I feel free to quote you so you can't try to change it later.

IMHO something that would help that cause is not supporting the so called 8th gen.

I don't see why it wouldn't be a good idea for Konami and Capcom to create SNES games, the parts exist  (infiniteneslives.com) they could make them on order, there's no risk. But they only want multi million $ projects.
Gaming since 1985

PukeSter

Companies just need to make more mid budget games.

Once the Wii died, AAA went into full swing.

Ubisoft has done a good job with their UbiArt games, like Rayman Legends and Valiant Hearts.

_Paul

Mike has posted on the AA forum.

QuoteI said I was not going to come back into this thread, but as you all can agree, AtariAge and this thread are a hard habit to break.  Anyway, I wanted to chime back in on a few things in light of our current situation.  Unlike the So Cal Mike from the past, I will try and be a bit more concise:

1)  As you have heard (and discussed) in our most recent team interview there was discord among the team.  Since bringing John on board this product started becoming incredibly expensive.  It was actually up to $450-$500 (selling price at one point).  Obviously, that was NEVER going to fly so Steve and I did what we could to try and work with John to understand why the cost and selling price became to excessive.  Once we decided to eliminate the need for RVGS to "handle" Neo Geo size cores/games (coming through the FPGA), the price then lowered a bit, but not nearly enough.  We then went back and forth amongst the team to include or not include an FPGA big enough to handle the existing 8-Bit cores thinking without it the price would come down even more, but at the expense of losing the magic of the FPGA.  But even after removing the FPGA or using a small one for other "housekeeping" applications (John's words) the price just never came down to a price point Steve and I were comfortable with (it bottomed out at the $299-$350 you saw on the IGG campaign).

2)  Regarding Kevtris (and PIKO too).  Honestly, since we had been waffling on whether or not to include the FPGA leading up to a crowdfunding campaign, I didn't want to waste any more of their time.  In the end, Kevin did understand that we would contract with him to license his existing 8-bit cores and also help finance his creation of 16-bit cores for our use and the community's use ONLY if we had a successfully funded campaign that included a capable FPGA.  We didn't toss him out in any way, shape or form and I apologize to Kevin for how I handled his comments, which took our team by surprise and were a bit out of the blue.  And, should RVGS have a successful ending, I hope we can work with him to license his cores in the future.  In the end, I do believe our products will be two completely different kinds of machines and can exist together if the two of us are able to make our machines a reality.

3)  Regarding PiperCub (Scott Schreiber).  Yes, he was a confidant, friend and podcast co-host with me for years when I came to him with my idea to create a new cartridge based console.  I valued his input and advice and he also knew Curt Vendel, someone who I initially wanted to design the hardware.  Scott hooked us up and Curt and I discussed this very early on and he indicated he didn't have the time (and was also battling for his life) so he had to bow out of the running as lead engineer.  I then moved on to two other very capable hardware guys who worked with Steve and I in the beginning, even to the point of having an operating prototype.  This was all before Steve had the idea of integrating an FPGA (and also before a few other additions like the various output methods and 9-Pin controller ports (all things we are striving to include should it not break the bank).

4)  Fast forward to the present.  Yes, we pulled the IGG campaign and agree it should have NEVER been turned on in the first place.  Prior to pulling the campaign John took it upon himself to light up his famous table prototype video (without any heads up to Steve or myself).  At first, Steve and I were taken by surprise, but his attempt at showing a prototype did garner some positive sentiment among the natives so I thought we dodged a bullet there.  In the end, I think it did more harm than good and wish it never got posted.  But John is a very good guy and very capable engineer.  But somehow this product grew into a three headed monster with him at the hardware helm.  And I am not saying this was all his fault.  John did his best to engineer the machine Steve and I had envisioned from the start.  It just got completely out of hand on many accounts and we all take the blame for that.

5)  Steve Woita.  Steve is awesome ( I hope you can all agree with that) and he and I are on great terms and want to see RVGS to a positive end, whether that means a successfully funded campaign with a cool product you all might want OR if it dies out gracefully after given a true chance to succeed.  Only time will tell where this story will end.

6)  Back to #3.  So we have begun folding back in part of the team we were working with between Curt Vendel and John Carlsen.  They have obviously been following this downward spiral and contacted us to help remind us (mainly me) about my original vision for this system and that the time and work spent with us early on was not wasted.  The good news is that we all still agree that having the FPGA in its fullest form is a good thing and are doing what we can to continue to include that bit of hardware in the design.  Our "new" hardware team is working hard to complete the prototype that was begun early on in this venture and I am trying to stay out of the hardware side of things at this point so they can do their job and engineer some cool tech that doesn't cost you all an arm and a leg.  That was never our intention with RVGS.  If and when you hear from us again it will be with a playable prototype in hand.

7) Apologies.  Hey, I think we can all agree this thread had both constructive criticism, which my team and I welcomed and also personal attacks which we didn't.  I didn't mean to group everyone into any negative comments I made with regards to AA or its members.  But there were a few comments that really rubbed me the wrong way and I let my emotions get the best of me.  For what it's worth, I am sorry and certainly didn't mean any ill will toward the majority of the people here or on any other forum (or on Facebook) for that matter.  Much of the criticism was valuable and I think we now know how to bring a viable product to market with a price point that most will agree with.  But again, it's a balancing act trying to please as many people as possible while also trying to keep the price affordable.

Now all I ask is that you give my team a fair shot to win back your trust with our second effort that will go long way to address the concerns from the final weeks leading up to the IGG campaign.  We will have a playable prototype and it will be on Kickstarter.  Will there be some changes to the game lineup?  Sure, we will be working on fleshing out the initial game launch list once we have all agreed on the hardware and the price point.

Carry on . . . . .

- Mike

EDIT:  Oh, one other thing.  I've discussed with our campaign rep at IGG about ending the campaign and they said they would look into it but for now it's still live.  If you happen to still have your money tied up there, please go in and demand a refund asap.  Here is a link discussing how and where to request this:  https://support.indi...t-my-money-back-

Bloufo

He's putting it all on Carlsen. That's mostly what I'm seeing here.

Something like "I apologize but it really wasn't my fault".

GohanX

As Geese Howard would say, "Predictabow!"

NightWolve

Quote from: Mike KennedyNow all I ask is that you give my team a fair shot to win back your trust with our second effort that will go long way to address the concerns from the final weeks leading up to the IGG campaign.  We will have a playable prototype and it will be on Kickstarter.  Will there be some changes to the game lineup?  Sure, we will be working on fleshing out the initial game launch list once we have all agreed on the hardware and the price point.

SignOfZeta

Quote from: Bloufo on 10/07/2015, 04:31 AMHe's putting it all on Carlsen. That's mostly what I'm seeing here.

Disgusting. After a flop this huge he still can't see reality...and selling out Carlsen is bullshit. The reason he couldn't deliver a workable spec is because there is no design directive. This dick STILL doesn't know WTF he wants. STILL!

Amazing.
IMG

Gentlegamer

I wonder how many times Mike Kennedy has watched
IMG

Bloufo

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 10/07/2015, 10:17 PM
Quote from: Bloufo on 10/07/2015, 04:31 AMHe's putting it all on Carlsen. That's mostly what I'm seeing here.

Disgusting. After a flop this huge he still can't see reality...and selling out Carlsen is bullshit. The reason he couldn't deliver a workable spec is because there is no design directive. This dick STILL doesn't know WTF he wants. STILL!

Amazing.
I don't know him, and previous to this whole RVGS thing I didn't know of him. So maybe it's just me but I'm thinking this Kennedy guy would make for a great used car salesman.

But yeah I agree, he seems to have no problem in dishing out backhanded comments in that "apology", and throwing the Carlsen dude under the bus.
From what I've read, he did a similar thing to that Kevtris guy.

Is this a person to trust with your money? I'll take a flyer here and go with "No" :lol:

esteban

Quote from: Bloufo on 10/08/2015, 02:30 AM
Quote from: SignOfZeta on 10/07/2015, 10:17 PM

Amazing.
I don't know him, and previous to this whole RVGS thing I didn't know of him. So maybe it's just me but I'm thinking this Kennedy guy would make for a great used car salesman.

But yeah I agree, he seems to have no problem in dishing out backhanded comments in that "apology", and throwing the Carlsen dude under the bus.
From what I've read, he did a similar thing to that Kevtris guy.

Is this a person to trust with your money? I'll take a flyer here and go with "No" :lol:
I read the whole thing and he was trying to do damage control with Kevtris...hoping to work with him. It seems too little, too late (he didn't outright apologize, and he clearly did not communicate clearly with Kevtris...)

I never heard of Kennedy prior to this, but I knew of gamegavel.com...so....
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

elmer

The gift that keeps on giving ...

Quote from: FaceBookRVGS parts are in and a "breadboard" is coming together, which means we are getting closer to having a playable prototype.
Hahahaha ... that was quick!  :shock:

The IGG campaign was only "killed" 16 days ago (and still has another 20 days to run).

I wonder what direction they're going in this time.  :roll:

SignOfZeta

Hopefully in the direction of professional help.
IMG

NightWolve

Quote from: elmer on 10/15/2015, 02:51 PMThe gift that keeps on giving ...

Quote from: FaceBookRVGS parts are in and a "breadboard" is coming together, which means we are getting closer to having a playable prototype.
Hahahaha ... that was quick!  :shock:

The IGG campaign was only "killed" 16 days ago (and still has another 20 days to run).

I wonder what direction they're going in this time.  :roll:
Hah, parts no doubt collected from Cracker Jack boxes...

SignOfZeta

Do people actually breadboard something as complicated as a game system? I genuinely don't know the answer to this.
IMG

Psycho Punch

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 10/15/2015, 07:22 PMDo people actually breadboard something as complicated as a game system? I genuinely don't know the answer to this.
IMG IMG IMG IMG

At least 30 years ago they did. That's an Apple ][ Apple 1 proto.

wayback.cpmuseum.com/Exhibit.aspx?address=7603

NightWolve

elmer

Quote from: guest on 10/15/2015, 08:13 PMAt least 30 years ago they did. That's an Apple ][ proto.
Didn't John Carlsen do that ... I thought that I saw it on his resume!  :-k

No ... wait ... now I remember ... he was just trying to brag that he attended the same university as Woz.

Isn't that almost the same thing?  :roll:

o.pwuaioc

Quote from: elmer on 10/15/2015, 09:54 PM
Quote from: Psycho Punch on 10/15/2015, 08:13 PMAt least 30 years ago they did. That's an Apple ][ proto.

No ... wait ... now I remember ... he was just trying to brag that he attended the same university as Woz.

Wait, seriously?

SignOfZeta

Quote from: Psycho Punch on 10/15/2015, 08:13 PM
Quote from: SignOfZeta on 10/15/2015, 07:22 PMDo people actually breadboard something as complicated as a game system? I genuinely don't know the answer to this.
IMG IMG IMG IMG

At least 30 years ago they did. That's an Apple ][ Apple 1 proto.

wayback.cpmuseum.com/Exhibit.aspx?address=7603
Ah, by "breadboard" I assumed the white plastic ones where you just slip the components into place. To me that is "project board" but maybe they go by both names. These ones are a lot harder to use on the next project.

Btw, that was nearly 40 years ago! Well before today's Chinese PCB manufactures that can turn your drawing into a PCB and have it on your doorstop in two weeks.
IMG

Mathius

They seem to be designing it in a retro fashion as well.

elmer

Quote from: guest on 10/15/2015, 10:13 PM
Quote from: elmer on 10/15/2015, 09:54 PM
Quote from: guest on 10/15/2015, 08:13 PMAt least 30 years ago they did. That's an Apple ][ proto.

Wait, seriously?
Shameless resumé-padding at it's best!  :wink:

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/retro-vgs#/story

Quote from: JohnCarlsenJohn Carlsen, Co-Founder, VP Operations and Platform Development– As a principal hardware engineer, John created a Sony PlayStation for emerging foreign markets and co-founded Iguana Entertainment, where he created powerful low-cost software-development interfaces for SNES, Saturn, PlayStation, and Jaguar.

John contributed to the development of system software for PlayStation 3, the first computer with AMD 64-bit processors, most flash-based MP3 players (including iPod Shuffle), Altera programmable logic semiconductors, Media Vision's high-quality PC sound cards, and the first TV input device for personal computers. John has also worked for Atari, Atari's former president and co-founder Nolan Bushnell, and Activision, and has taught college courses in game development.

John has degrees in computer science and management from St. Edward's University in Austin, and five degrees from De Anza College in Cupertino—where Apple co-founder Steve Wozniak studied.

NightWolve

Quote from: elmer on 10/15/2015, 10:46 PMShameless resumé-padding at it's best!  :wink:
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/retro-vgs#/story

Quote from: JohnCarlsenAs a principal hardware engineer, John created a Sony PlayStation for emerging foreign markets and co-founded Iguana Entertainment, where he created powerful low-cost software-development interfaces for SNES, Saturn, PlayStation, and Jaguar.

John has also worked for Atari, Atari's former president and co-founder Nolan Bushnell, and Activision, and has taught college courses in game development.

John has degrees in computer science and management from St. Edward's University in Austin, and five degrees from De Anza College in Cupertino—where Apple co-founder Steve Wozniak studied.
Aaah, so that's partly where the basis for attempting to resurrect the "glory" that is the Atari Jaguar shell comes from... Heh. So there was more to it than it's just awesome-looking, the molds weren't destroyed, and "manifest destiny" in that it must "wise fwom its gwave" in some form to expand throughout the world, etc. :P

But anyway, that resume is silly in its "Hey, I happened to attend the same university as an Apple co-founder once did!" unnecessary padding... It was already a respectable resume objectively for a videogame software/hardware developer, but he ruins his credibility by adding something unnecessary like that... If you can say you attended Harvard, great, but that's enough, you don't name drop somebody famous that also went there in your resume... That's a red flag false comparison to somebody that was successful which is no guarantee the same reflects upon you.

o.pwuaioc

Actually, name dropping like that is a major red flag. I get that he wants to trumpet his school, but he's not doing himself any favors with that. As someone in academia, pulling something like that would just about be an automatic disqualifier from any job. I can only imagine in industry it's equally frowned upon.

OldMan

When I read that closely, I have to ask myself "How does software developement make you a hardware engineer?"

NightWolve

Quote from: TheOldMan on 10/16/2015, 01:27 AMWhen I read that closely, I have to ask myself "How does software developement make you a hardware engineer?"
Quote from: John Carlsen SpecsAs a principal hardware engineer, John created a Sony PlayStation for emerging foreign markets
Well, depends on what "created a Sony Playstation for emerging foreign markets" means... What are they trying to claim by that anyway ? The PSX was engineered in Japan by the Japanese... It's not specified what he did while working at Atari as well, so perhaps there's experience from his time there in his defense ?  :-k

Now we did see his work lab table which DOES have an oscilloscope, a DMM and soldering iron on it among other things, so that proves something, right, right ?? Heh-heh. C'mon, weren't you blown away by his "power goes in, video goes out" quickie presentation ? Man, picky picky... ;) Everybody's a critic these days! :P

Quote from: guest on 10/15/2015, 11:58 PMActually, name dropping like that is a major red flag. I get that he wants to trumpet his school, but he's not doing himself any favors with that. As someone in academia, pulling something like that would just about be an automatic disqualifier from any job. I can only imagine in industry it's equally frowned upon.
I would interpret that as an insult to one's intelligence. If I am going through a pile of resumes and his is equally impressive to the others except that he threw in a lame name-dropping attempt, I would feel more inclined to pass his up.

ToyMachine78

It boils down to these guys are clowns, desperately trying to pass off a poorly planned idea, with a unsustainable business model, in the hopes of achieving riches and greatness so they can pull themselves out of their normal mundane lives.

Ain't gonna happen. People see right through that shit, and its down right insulting to their prospective customers.