10/31/2023: Localization News - Dead of the Brain 1!

No, NOT a trick, a Halloween treat! Presenting the Dead of the Brain 1 English patch by David Shadoff for the DEAD last official PC Engine CD game published by NEC before exiting the console biz in 1999! I helped edit/betatest and it's also a game I actually finished in 2023, yaaay! Shubibiman also did a French localization. github.com/dshadoff/DeadoftheBrain
twitter.com/NightWolve/PCENews
Main Menu

The “What-Did-You-Buy-Today?” Thread

Started by Tatsujin, 06/15/2008, 05:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elder

Quote from: EvilEvoIX on 10/13/2015, 08:29 PMI found one loose in Connecticut for $200, I passed.  I only pay that much for Neo Geo games.
I hear ya there.  I may complain about retro gaming being completely ridiculous now in terms of prices, however Neo Geo is the one exception to that rule as the games were always pricey.  I actually just got some really good buys from a few kind folks on the Neo-Geo forums.  I managed to get The Last Blade, Last Blade 2, Kabuki Klash, Puzzle De Pon, Blazing Star, Pulstar, Spin Master, and Top Hunter.  I'm now negotiating for Garou: Mark of the Wolves.  Needless to say, this was quite an investment, but I've been on the hunt for some of these for a damn long time now.  I also got my Crossed Swords II conversion from Razoola, which was fantastic! 

As you can see, Neo and TG are my two favs for retro outside my love affair with the Saturn.  It just sucks that Turbo games are nearly at Neo levels now, which really limits the games I can afford.

xcrement5x

Quote from: EvilEvoIX on 10/13/2015, 08:29 PM
Quote from: Elder on 10/13/2015, 08:24 PM
Quote from: EvilEvoIX on 10/13/2015, 08:17 PMSpiderman, Blackthore, Darkxide.
Good luck with Spidey.  That one took me awhile to find at a price I was willing to pay for such a so-so game.  I really miss the days of being able to pick up retro games on the cheap and experience ones I missed.  Today I feel like I need to sell a kidney just to pick up a retro game that looks cool. 
I found one loose in Connecticut for $200, I passed.  I only pay that much for Neo Geo games.
Darxide was actually never released in the US, just Euro land.  And it is region locked to PAL 32X/Genesis units so even buying a copy is pretty useless here unless you import the required hardware as well or modify some units. 
Demented Clone Warrior Consensus: "My pirated forum clone is superior/more "moral" than yours, neener neener neener..."  ](*,)

vmorr

Came in the mail earlier today. So mint looking I almost don't want to open it :?
IMG

wildfruit

Quote from: Digi.k on 10/02/2015, 05:22 PMBeen waiting all day for this to arrived and now ..

IMG
IMG
That pattern is so cute!
PEGI 7

Mathius

Quote from: vmorr on 10/14/2015, 12:30 AMCame in the mail earlier today. So mint looking I almost don't want to open it :?

IMG
I may buy a Vita just for this game.

EvilEvoIX

Quote from: Elder on 10/13/2015, 10:19 PM
Quote from: EvilEvoIX on 10/13/2015, 08:29 PMI found one loose in Connecticut for $200, I passed.  I only pay that much for Neo Geo games.
I hear ya there.  I may complain about retro gaming being completely ridiculous now in terms of prices, however Neo Geo is the one exception to that rule as the games were always pricey.  I actually just got some really good buys from a few kind folks on the Neo-Geo forums.  I managed to get The Last Blade, Last Blade 2, Kabuki Klash, Puzzle De Pon, Blazing Star, Pulstar, Spin Master, and Top Hunter.  I'm now negotiating for Garou: Mark of the Wolves.  Needless to say, this was quite an investment, but I've been on the hunt for some of these for a damn long time now.  I also got my Crossed Swords II conversion from Razoola, which was fantastic! 

As you can see, Neo and TG are my two favs for retro outside my love affair with the Saturn.  It just sucks that Turbo games are nearly at Neo levels now, which really limits the games I can afford. 
You are spending a fuck ton of cash.  Post some pics
IMGIMGIMG
Quote from: PCEngineHellI already dropped him a message on there and he did not reply back, so fuck him, and his cunt wife.

InfraMan

Quote from: Mathius on 10/14/2015, 12:47 AM
Quote from: vmorr on 10/14/2015, 12:30 AMCame in the mail earlier today. So mint looking I almost don't want to open it :?

IMG
I've been kinda interested in picking this up, but I never played the first couple of games in the series. Do you think this is something you can jump into with no prior knowledge, or would it be better to catch up on the original games first?

Medic_wheat

Quote from: InfraMan on 10/15/2015, 09:51 AM
Quote from: Mathius on 10/14/2015, 12:47 AM

IMG
I've been kinda interested in picking this up, but I never played the first couple of games in the series. Do you think this is something you can jump into with no prior knowledge, or would it be better to catch up on the original games first?
Hard to say. I have yet to play this one but I LOVED the sprit 2D game. I got them bundled on the vita (sadly digital download only) lasted year.

One is a light novel which I wasn't interested in the other a 2D sprit version.

This newest one I think is the same game but now in 3D?

I could be mistaken.

Also watch the 4 part OVA on this game. It's great but only subbed no dub.

InfraMan

Quote from: Medic_wheat on 10/15/2015, 11:23 AMHard to say. I have yet to play this one but I LOVED the sprit 2D game. I got them bundled on the vita (sadly digital download only) lasted year.

One is a light novel which I wasn't interested in the other a 2D sprit version.

This newest one I think is the same game but now in 3D?

I could be mistaken.

Also watch the 4 part OVA on this game. It's great but only subbed no dub.
Cool thanks, I'll have to check those out! It's a shame the first two games are digital-only, though... I'm old fashioned, and stuff just isn't stuff to me if I can't properly fondle it. :wink:

EvilEvoIX

Got me some Famicom Games from Video Game Connection in Cleveland Ohio.  It's in the middle of a shit hole and the building is also a shit hole but the amount of stuff for sale is huge in quantity and quality.  Boxed Atari Jag and Jag CD, a TON of Japanese stuff, pretty much everything from Odesy to now.  Very impressive.

videogameconnection.com/

IMG
IMG
IMG
IMG

Games I got....

IMG

Can't wait to try that 400-1 cart, many good games on there.
IMGIMGIMG
Quote from: PCEngineHellI already dropped him a message on there and he did not reply back, so fuck him, and his cunt wife.

OldMan

QuoteVideo Game Connection in Cleveland Ohio.  It's in the middle of a shit hole
My crs is acting up. Is that the shop near Memphis, or the place on 185th ?

(If it's 185th , HEY!! I live in that sh*thole!. If its Memphis, HEY I used to live in that sh*thole!! )

EvilEvoIX

Quote from: TheOldMan on 10/15/2015, 09:37 PM
QuoteVideo Game Connection in Cleveland Ohio.  It's in the middle of a shit hole
My crs is acting up. Is that the shop near Memphis, or the place on 185th ?

(If it's 185th , HEY!! I live in that sh*thole!. If its Memphis, HEY I used to live in that sh*thole!! )
Video Game Connection
4824 Memphis Ave.
Cleveland, Ohio 44144

I found some tourism commercials for Cleveland.  Some truth in advertising here.
IMGIMGIMG

OldMan

QuoteVideo Game Connection
4824 Memphis Ave.
That's Mike's shop! The owner is one of the guys who helps put on CCAG.

Nice guy. He sold me my us system 3.0 card (for $50, down from $65. But that was a decade ago).
And he dropped the price right away when he found out a few of the games he had were bootlegs.
(iir, Ys was $20 on a cdr with inkjet label. He dropped it to $2 when he found out it was a bootleg)

Many good times talking to him about games when I was younger :)

(btw, looks like he cleaned house. He used to have a whole wall of 2600 games. Did you ask him if he had anything in the basement? :)

EvilEvoIX

Quote from: TheOldMan on 10/16/2015, 01:37 AM
QuoteVideo Game Connection
4824 Memphis Ave.
That's Mike's shop! The owner is one of the guys who helps put on CCAG.

Nice guy. He sold me my us system 3.0 card (for $50, down from $65. But that was a decade ago).
And he dropped the price right away when he found out a few of the games he had were bootlegs.
(iir, Ys was $20 on a cdr with inkjet label. He dropped it to $2 when he found out it was a bootleg)

Many good times talking to him about games when I was younger :)

(btw, looks like he cleaned house. He used to have a whole wall of 2600 games. Did you ask him if he had anything in the basement? :)
It was some young kid working there, so no basically all I had him do was look up and price my Famicom Games, basically $3 a game and $30 for the 400-1 Multicart.  No idea there was a basement.
IMGIMGIMG

schweaty

Didn't get these all at once, but I've been working on finishing the set for a while now and just got the last (and most expensive one)

IMG

EvilEvoIX

I found some Master System Stuff on Craigslist.  Very cheap the guy didn't know what he had so an easy buy.

IMG

I then visited Destiny Games in Canton Michigan.

destiny-games.com/

Great shop, has a little of everything from the 2600 on.  Great selection of CDi, 3DO, Sega Imports, Lynx stuff, and a lot of 5200 stuff; really impressive.  The stuff is a LITTLE expensive but not too bad.  Strangely they had two U.S. Neo Geo AES Games for WAY WAY Under eBay prices so I snatched them up right quick.  They threw in the Sega Genesis Game for free.

IMG
IMG

Pics of the shop.

DestinyGames1.jpg
facebook.com/photo/?fbid=10153344466332942
DestinyGames2.jpg
facebook.com/photo/?fbid=10153344465867942
DestinyGames3.jpg
facebook.com/photo/?fbid=10153344465797942

Notice the Turbo Stuff

DestinyGames4.jpg
facebook.com/photo/?fbid=10153344465617942
DestinyGames5.jpg
facebook.com/photo/?fbid=10153344465512942
DestinyGames6.jpg
facebook.com/photo/?fbid=10153344465432942
IMGIMGIMG

lwizardl

Ordered this a couple weeks ago and it is finally here

NEC PC-Engine Avenue 6 Pad
NEC PC-Engine CoreGrafx
NEC PC-Engine Interface unit
NEC PC-Engine Duo-R

IMG
IMG
IMG
IMG
IMG
IMG

Famicom Disk System Games
FMC-TC2 - Famicom Tantei Club: Kieta Kōkeisha (second part) [x2]
FMC-ON2 - Shin Onigashima (second part)
TFD-BUB - Bubble Bobble
ASC001 - Namida no Sōkoban Special  [But disk has labels for Professional Mahjong Goku ASC-GKU]
KDS-ESC - Exciting Soccer: Konami Cup
SCO-TAR - Tarot
FMC-TC4 - Famicom Tantei Club Part II: Ushiro ni Tatsu Shōjo (second part)
FMC-LNK - The Legend of Zelda 2: The Adventure of Link

IMG
IMG
IMG
IMG
IMG
IMG

roflmao

Quote from: lwizardl on 10/19/2015, 11:30 PMOrdered this a couple weeks ago and it is finally here

NEC PC-Engine Avenue 6 Pad
NEC PC-Engine CoreGrafx
NEC PC-Engine Interface unit
NEC PC-Engine Duo-R

IMG
Fixed. :)

lwizardl

Thanks, I'm not sure how to force them to load smaller. It has been a while

roflmao

Quote from: lwizardl on 10/19/2015, 11:40 PMThanks, I'm not sure how to force them to load smaller. It has been a while
No problem!
"["img width=600"]"http://imageurlhere"["/url"]" (minus quotations)

lwizardl

EvilEvoIX

I got some common stuff from Game Headz in Detroit Michigan.  My god what a shit hole.  The whole shop smelled of weed and cigars and the shop looked like it was in the middle of a war zone with burnt out houses and crumbling industry.  The cashier was in a security booth and spoke to me through a small hole.  There were dudes just hanging out in the store trying to sell me "Substances" and I had to as politely as possible say no and get the fuck outa dodge.

IMG

Games were cheap as shit, and I got loaded for free because the Cashier had no idea how to price it properly.  Great store to get some classic stuff but my god is it in the most dangerous part of the city.
IMGIMGIMG

Elder

roflmao

The office I work at is getting ready to have a bunch of old computer hardware picked up by recyclers and I managed to grab these 2 monitors:
IMG

They are NEC Multisync 1980sxi's. Old and heavy, but I thought it was cool that they have the NEC logo on them. Another cool feature is they swivel on their stand so they can be landscape or portrait mode.  Now I need to get some Dreamcast shooters with tate mode. :)

IMG
(Not a tate mode game)

TR0N

IMG
PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

xcrement5x

Nice TRON!  I love the Daimakaimura artwork for the MegaDrive :)

My new stuff:

IMG
2015-10-20 Playstation Vita Bundle! by xcrement5x, on Flickr

Original OLED Playstation Vita with Box/Manuals/Cables
Persona 4 Golden
Metal Gear Solid HD Collection
Fifa Soccer 13

So I got this bad boy off Craigslist!  I had actually seen this earlier a couple weeks ago and talked to the seller about it but didn't have the cash free to buy it.  I told them I was interested but it would take me a bit to get the funds together and the seller was super laid back about it. 

Flash forward to yesterday when I am able to successfully meet up with another guy to sell him a CPAP machine that I paid $13 for at the local thrift store.  The amount I made selling the machine was just what I needed to pick up the Vita bundle after the guy dropped the price a bit, so I drove right up the road after selling the CPAP and handed the cash over to get this very nice Playstation Vita bundle.

It's an original model Vita with an OLED screen, and is the Wifi+3G version that was originally released.  The seller had the original box and all the inserts/manuals as well, plus the Vita came with a Persona 4 screen protector on it and a nice clear shell to protect it.  Add on top of that I got THREE games as well and I feel pretty good about what I turned my $13 thrift store buy into. 
Demented Clone Warrior Consensus: "My pirated forum clone is superior/more "moral" than yours, neener neener neener..."  ](*,)

NecroPhile

Medical supply flippers are the worst.  :P
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

MNKyDeth

Just grabbed a Duo-R, yesterday bought a Arcade Duo card and now a region mod Obey chip and RGB chip ordered from Turbokon... who I havn't seen on the forums lately....

I may flip my US Duo soon depending how things work out, or vice versa. I love the black but who knows, maybe the white will be nice. Either way if everything works out like I said I may flip it... Or one of my brothers will get it for Xmas with a lot of burned games. >.<

wilykat

IMG

Those early Disney clamshell case were built like a tank and the cover art were better than later releases.  $1 from Goodwill.  :mrgreen: No idea if the tape still works, I haven't had a working VCR in about 5 years.

The Black Hole is still the only movie on my original Blu-Ray Disc top 10 wanted list that still hasn't seen a BD release yet.  Current rumor is it will be released with the new Black Hole movie.

lwizardl

very nice find, some of those old disney movies are a pain to find. I still have an old Dumbo movie on Beta tape someplace in storage

Psycho Punch

That sublime feeling of opening up a brand new game... even if it is Sonic Spike.

IMG
This Toxic Turbo Turd/Troll & Clone Warrior calls himself "Burning Fight!!" on Neo-Geo.com
For a good time, reach out to: aleffrenan94@gmail.com or punchballmariobros@gmail.com
Like DildoKobold, dildos are provided free of charge, no need to bring your own! :lol:
He also ran scripts to steal/clone this forum which blew up the error logs! I had to delete THOUSANDS of errors cause of this nutcase!
how_to_spell_ys_sign_origin_ver.webp

MNKyDeth

Quote from: guest on 10/21/2015, 02:53 PMThat sublime feeling of opening up a brand new game... even if it is Sonic Spike.
IMG
Lol, Psycho Punch, that is awesome. Sometimes I wish I had that 12k - 20k I could just blow on anything and grab that US Duo on eBay and rip it open with pics for everyone. Then recap it ....

Then for fun I would post it back on eBay for a couple thousand more saying..... better than brand new in the box. It actually works....

EvilEvoIX

Quote from: guest on 10/21/2015, 02:53 PMThat sublime feeling of opening up a brand new game... even if it is Sonic Spike.
IMG
I'm afraid to open mine, what guys you have!
IMGIMGIMG

Elder

Quote from: TR0N on 10/21/2015, 03:13 AMIMG
I just wanted to mention that Sturmwind absolutely blew my mind.  I knew the game was in development for years and years, but the end result was spectacular.  Let me know what you think of it.

wilykat

And about 50 VGA flippers cried out in pain at the loss of a sealed game.

Mathius

Quote from: wilykat on 10/21/2015, 10:51 PM
And about 50 VGA flippers cried out in pain at the loss of a sealed game.
Mwwhahahahaha

TR0N

Quote from: guest on 10/21/2015, 11:44 AMNice TRON!  I love the Daimakaimura artwork for the MegaDrive :)
Quote from: Elder on 10/21/2015, 07:15 PM
Quote from: TR0N on 10/21/2015, 03:13 AMIMG
I just wanted to mention that Sturmwind absolutely blew my mind.  I knew the game was in development for years and years, but the end result was spectacular.  Let me know what you think of it.
Yeah the cover art for the japanese gng is great element.I never liked how the u.s cover art was cropped.For sturmwind elder i find it to be a very polished homebrew,really enjoying the shooter.
IMG
PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

EvilEvoIX

I visited this place called "People Play Games" In Chicago, and my god they had everything.   So many rare copies from pretty much every system.   Spider Man Web of Fire 32X in the box, $1,000.00.  Everything they had was just overpriced, extremely overpriced, I mean double eBay pricing.  IDK how they stay in business but they had boxed, unopened NES games by the Dozen and unopened Final Fantasy SNES games and so on.

I rummaged around and got some cheap knick knacks.

IMG

Very cool store but couldn't really buy anything in there.
IMGIMGIMG

EvilEvoIX

Another good day.  Today I visited Mega Replay in Bloomington IL, a subsidiary of Disc Replay which is a chain of about 30 stores in the Mid West which deals with DVD's, Video Games, and Electronics  GREAT prices, below eBay for sure and every game posted below was $3 or cheaper each.  Highly recommend. 

IMG

Really happy with my Gradius find a little rubbing alcohol will get that fuckers name right off that cart.

IMG
IMG
IMGIMGIMG

bob

when does the tour finally end so you can spare us of these posts?

EvilEvoIX

Quote from: agent_orange on 10/26/2015, 08:37 AMwhen does the tour finally end so you can spare us of these posts?
I'm sorry sweety, you know you can simply not read my posts?  I mean no one is forcing you?  I'll be traveling for a while now.
IMGIMGIMG

bob

Quote from: EvilEvoIX on 10/26/2015, 10:41 AM
Quote from: agent_orange on 10/26/2015, 08:37 AMwhen does the tour finally end so you can spare us of these posts?
I'm sorry sweety, you know you can simply not read my posts?  I mean no one is forcing you?  I'll be traveling for a while now.
I'm just ribbing on you.   It's actually good to know some first hand opinions in case anybody wants to visit these places.
It's also good to know you are buying all the crap, so there would be less for somebody else to sift through.

xcrement5x

Ah Bloomington, if you keep heading south in IL let me know what you think of Live Action Games in Champaign.  I went there about a year ago and they were decently priced on a lot of stuff, no stellar deals though.

NecroPhile

Saturday's mail brought me a copy of Lego Hobbit for the Vita.  :mrgreen:

vmorr

Quote from: guest on 10/26/2015, 11:25 AMSaturday's mail brought me a copy of Lego Hobbit for the Vita.  :mrgreen:
I always pass on the Lego games cause they make like 10 of them a year. They're supposed to be pretty fun though yea?

NecroPhile

I enjoy 'em, but you gotta be a big fan of Legos or whatever franchise the game is based on for them to be worthwhile. 

sn0zc0r3

Quote from: vmorr on 10/26/2015, 11:34 AM
Quote from: guest on 10/26/2015, 11:25 AMSaturday's mail brought me a copy of Lego Hobbit for the Vita.  :mrgreen:
I always pass on the Lego games cause they make like 10 of them a year. They're supposed to be pretty fun though yea?
I feel like some of the lego games are definitely better than others. The Indiana Jones and initial Batman games were kind of eh to me.

Quote from: EvilEvoIX on 10/24/2015, 12:12 AMI visited this place called "People Play Games" In Chicago, and my god they had everything.   So many rare copies from pretty much every system.   Spider Man Web of Fire 32X in the box, $1,000.00.  Everything they had was just overpriced, extremely overpriced, I mean double eBay pricing.  IDK how they stay in business but they had boxed, unopened NES games by the Dozen and unopened Final Fantasy SNES games and so on.

I rummaged around and got some cheap knick knacks.

Very cool store but couldn't really buy anything in there.
I used to go to that store a ton and bought a whole boatload of crap over the years. I definitely agree though that the rare stuff there can be on the ridiculous side price-wise. The owner and his dad are nice, though I have friends who have commented on the owner acting rude at times (that's never been my experience though). Outside of the rare stuff behind glass, you can usually find some stuff at decent prices.

EvilEvoIX

Quote from: agent_orange on 10/26/2015, 10:45 AM
I'm just ribbing on you.   It's actually good to know some first hand opinions in case anybody wants to visit these places.
It's also good to know you are buying all the crap, so there would be less for somebody else to sift through.
Crap like US AES titles and a NEO GEO bag?  Gradious 4 is quite good.  Maybe commons but no crap.
IMGIMGIMG

NecroPhile

Quote from: EvilEvoIX on 10/26/2015, 03:03 PMMaybe commons but no crap.
I'm sure Bass Masters Classic, Madden '97, and Monopoly are the bee's knees, bruh.

bob

Quote from: EvilEvoIX on 10/26/2015, 03:03 PM
Quote from: agent_orange on 10/26/2015, 10:45 AM
Crap like US AES titles and a NEO GEO bag?
yes, crap, just like that.