RIP to BT Garner of MindRec.com... He passed away early 2023 from health problems. BT was one of the top PCE homebrew developers and founder of the OG Turbo List, then PCECP.com. Condolences to family and friends.
IMG
IMG
Main Menu

We need a hero...

Started by Psycho Nulltard, 11/10/2015, 06:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Psycho Nulltard

So...

Samiam and Elmer are cranking out translations.

Bernie and co. are cranking out Tobias booties left and right.

All these games and our Duos still only have 2kb save ram.

Who among us is man enough to hack out the Memorybase 128 management tool from Emerald Dragon and turn it into a translated ROM we can load from our everdrives? MB128 are still cheap, and I can't help but dream of a future where I can manage save banks and boot a system bios all from the same hucard, swapping discs only to change games.

* Nulltard casts glances in bonknuts' direction...

Anyone?
IMG
Psycho John Moriconi sabotaged/destroyed TWO PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook (Cuz Chris Runyon!), then the other by Aaron Nanto (Cuz Le NightWolve!)!!! John and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together mainly because he's also a PCE admin who worked VERY hard to poach members for HIS OWN site which has been an abysmal failure now marred by a legacy of utter mass destruction/harassment/doxxing alliances with KKKFarms . net even despite their involvement in Byuu/Near's suicide! BOTH times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner (blackmail/extortion!), never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang of DildoKKKobolds!

If you suspect he & his gang of psycho cyber bully friends did it on purpose, thought it through to its logical conclusion, preplanned it years before (never let a good crisis go to waste & create it if need be!) and that the PCEFX chatbox launch was just a pretense, you'd be correct...

Feel free to reach out if you wish: nullity_down@yahoo.com
Like DarkKobold, dildos are provided free of charge, no need to bring your own! :lol:

Dicer

Is it possible to hardwire more save space directly into a Duo?

Thought I saw this somewhere, but I can't be entirely positive...

GohanX

Peasants, just buy multiple Duos. One for every five games or so.

elmer

Quote from: Nulltard on 11/10/2015, 06:05 PMWho among us is man enough to hack out the Memorybase 128 management tool from Emerald Dragon and turn it into a translated ROM we can load from our everdrives? MB128 are still cheap, and I can't help but dream of a future where I can manage save banks and boot a system bios all from the same hucard, swapping discs only to change games.
???

If you've got an Everdrive ... is there some reason that you don't just want to move save data from the PCE to the SD card? That would seem to make the most sense.

Should be possible with either version of the TED ... just needs a programmer.

Now that CC65 is supposed to work on the PCE, it shouldn't be too difficult for any of the community's C programmers.

SignOfZeta

I can't program anything, but I'm man enough to just play through my games again if my save disappears. If the PCE had Six Man Scramble or Mario Maker it would be a different story, but few if any of these kinds of games exist on the system. What are you going to do, beat Dracula X once? I clear it every year. If there is an RPG I like, unless I'm saving before cinemas (which I used to do all the time) I don't see what good a four year old save file is for a game I can barely remember at that point. If I beat it, the only way to enjoy the game more is usually to beat it again. I can't think of any New Game + RPGs on PCE. If it's an incomplete, years old save for an RPG, I know I'll never finish it without starting over.

I arrived at this conclusion after losing my saves many times and realizing it doesn't matter. The only save I actually make a point to keep around is the Force Gear unlock for Tokimeki, and I have a CD-R with that on it.

I don't want to discourage a good idea like this, I'm just trying to spread the world that losing a PCE save isn't as tragic as it sounds, partly because the amount of save space is so tiny that it really can't store anything important.
IMG

TurboXray

Quote from: Nulltard on 11/10/2015, 06:05 PMWho among us is man enough to hack out the Memorybase 128 management tool from Emerald Dragon and turn it into a translated ROM we can load from our everdrives?
That would be ccovell. ;>_>

TurboXray

I got other stuffs I'm working on. Too much food on the plate, and the gravy is going to pour over the edge. And nobody wants that.

sirhcman

ccovell

Quote from: Nulltard on 11/10/2015, 09:39 PM
Quote from: TurboXray on 11/10/2015, 09:33 PM
Quote from: Nulltard on 11/10/2015, 06:05 PMWho among us is man enough to hack out the Memorybase 128 management tool from Emerald Dragon and turn it into a translated ROM we can load from our everdrives?
This coming from the guy who made a nes cart play on a pce cd?!

* Nulltard makes hailing-esque eyes at ccovell...
You'd better get that thing fixed.

OldMan

I nominate ccovell, too....But not to hack a memory base128.

What would it take to use your rs232 code to send/receive a text file (ie, hex digits) to/from the pce?
A cable can be hacked together, and for those without rs232 an rs232->usb converter used. I like the idea of having my saves on a computer more than on a mb128; no batteries to worry about, etc.

Just give it some thought.

thesteve

adding a save bank to a duo would be as simple as adding another chip and a switch between, done just like a sega multibios setup

HailingTheThings

Quote from: Nulltard on 11/10/2015, 09:39 PM
Quote from: TurboXray on 11/10/2015, 09:33 PM
This coming from the guy who made a nes cart play on a pce cd?!

IMG
Fixed.
IMG

johnnykonami

ccovell

Quote from: TheOldMan on 11/10/2015, 11:47 PMI nominate ccovell, too....But not to hack a memory base128.

What would it take to use your rs232 code to send/receive a text file (ie, hex digits) to/from the pce?
Right now my PCEmon program can send/receive the BRAM as binary... What are any advantages to doing it in text/hex?

Of course right now typing "p0, <, c" gives you a hexdump of BRAM.

TurboXray

All we need now is elmer or touko to nominate Chris, and it's a done deal ;)

blueraven

Quote from: thesteve on 11/10/2015, 11:58 PMadding a save bank to a duo would be as simple as adding another chip and a switch between, done just like a sega multibios setup
So, then, technically, what would be the space limit of the Save BIOS if said chip was wired in sequence...?  8-[

thesteve

Well it's a simple S-Ram
Adding a chip gives you 2 banks of the original size
Alternately you could use a bigger ram chip and gain however many banks it affords you
The only rule is the system can only address the original size, requiring each bank to be formatted separately

MooZ

I'm currently working on memory base 128 management. I still to figure out one thing or too.

MotherGunner

No, we don't need another Hero...

IMG
-MG

SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM (If you want peace, Prepare for war)
SI VIS BELLUM, PARA MATRIMONIUM (If you want war, Prepare for marriage)

elmer

Quote from: TurboXray on 11/11/2015, 01:24 AMAll we need now is elmer or touko to nominate Chris, and it's a done deal ;)
Hahaha ... It's always nice and easy to "nominate" someone else to do the hard work!  :wink:

blueraven

I'd volunteer to help code in increments of 128M

MNKyDeth

I had to look up what this device was.

All I can say is it looks amazing but very limited in it's current form. It only works with a small hand full of games correct?

You cannot even really begin to fill up what this unit has with those games alone. Am I correct in this assumption?

Something like this makes me wish I got into programming at some point in my life... I think it is a great idea Nulltard.

ginoscope

Quote from: MNKyDeth on 11/13/2015, 11:49 AMI had to look up what this device was.

All I can say is it looks amazing but very limited in it's current form. It only works with a small hand full of games correct?

You cannot even really begin to fill up what this unit has with those games alone. Am I correct in this assumption?

Something like this makes me wish I got into programming at some point in my life... I think it is a great idea Nulltard.
I think the way it works is you need those certain games to access the memory managers.  But say I was playing Exile and it was saved to my duo I think I can backup the entire memory to the MB128.  That's how I understood it but I don't currently own a MB128.

ccovell

Quote from: MooZ on 11/11/2015, 07:34 AMI'm currently working on memory base 128 management. I still to figure out one thing or too.
I think I'll let Mooz finish up his MB128 manager.  Emerald Dragon's manager program is wrapped too tightly around the system card (and writable RAM in the program area) that it's not an easy job to make a ROM-only version of it.

Pokun

Quote from: Nulltard on 11/13/2015, 02:46 PM
Quote from: ginoscope on 11/13/2015, 02:05 PM
Quote from: MNKyDeth on 11/13/2015, 11:49 AMI had to look up what this device was.

I think the way it works is you need those certain games to access the memory managers.  But say I was playing Exile and it was saved to my duo I think I can backup the entire memory to the MB128.  That's how I understood it but I don't currently own a MB128.
I don't know whether or not the games that support mb128 actually save directly to it... but they do have a management program that lets you copy 2kb "banks" to and from the device.  The duo only holds 2kb of save data, so this in effect gives you 64 "full duo" backups.

Like a massive tennokoe.
Yep, some MB128 games can only save their own data directly to the MB128/Save-kun but other games like Private Eyedol can copy the whole 2 kB BRAM contents to it like you said. There's no manager that can copy individual files though.

I'm awaiting Mooz' upcoming manager!

MooZ

First draft of the technical doc mb128.txt

As for the manager... erm... I'll need to grab a TED v2 for the extra RAM.

elmer

Quote from: MooZ on 11/29/2015, 01:05 PMAs for the manager... erm... I'll need to grab a TED v2 for the extra RAM.
Erm ...  #-o

Thanks for documenting the MB128, I've had one for a while and wondered how-on-earth it worked.  :)

Really sorry to hear that you'll need extra RAM, though.

Once you jump over to being TED2-specific, doesn't it just make much more sense to write to the SD card?

MooZ

I should have said why I need extra RAM.
The extra RAM is only needed if some kind of editor is needed and because I'm lazy :p

Otherwise it's perfectly feasable but you'll need to juggle.

elmer

Quote from: MooZ on 11/29/2015, 03:24 PMThe extra RAM is only needed if some kind of editor is needed and because I'm lazy :p
Hahaha ... makes sense!  :wink:

BTW ... thanks for all your hard work in writing the low-level TED1 SD card routines in assembly language.

I've been using your code as the basis for a TED2 version, but it's been a bit frustrating so far, because it looks like KRIKzz changed a couple of things (particularly how the accelerated-read works).

I'm running around in the dark without any background knowledge of how the SPI-mode access is supposed to work ... but I'm sure that I'll get there eventually.

MooZ

SD card SPI interface is a pain in the harp in general (multiple sector write in particular).
Did you manage to get single sector read working?

elmer

Quote from: MooZ on 12/01/2015, 05:01 AMDid you manage to get single sector read working?
Nope. It executes, but I'm not convinced that the data is correct. And something in the flow is broken because a 2nd single sector read fails.

It's probably something as simple as the new "accelerated-read" swallowing one-byte-more or one-byte-less than it used to on the TED1, but I've not had the time to experiment.