WTB: Neo Geo AES or MVS System

Started by stinkoman, 11/11/2015, 10:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stinkoman

Looking for an AES with a couple games or a consolized MVS.

grendelrt

You could send an email to jamma nation X for a cmvs, he custom makes them based on what options you need. 

EvilEvoIX

AES stuff is getting VERY expensive at the moment.  You really have to search and be willing to pay a lot to get a AES systems.  MVS is much simpler still.  Look into a CMVS and a Multicart, that'll hold you off for a while.
IMGIMGIMG
Quote from: PCEngineHellI already dropped him a message on there and he did not reply back, so fuck him, and his cunt wife.

elmer

Quote from: EvilEvoIX on 11/11/2015, 09:28 PMAES stuff is getting VERY expensive at the moment.  You really have to search and be willing to pay a lot to get a AES systems.
Excellent! Sounds like a good time to sell my lovely old low-serial-number AES to a "collector".

Although I really should plug in Viewpoint one-last-time.  :wink:

SignOfZeta

You really have to be...dumb...honestly, to get into AES at this point. Ten years ago it was a rich idiots game, now it's just idiots period. The only lure (supposedly) of the much more expensive AES is that it's so exclusive and exciting and "I always wanted one back in the day" and all that fucktarded superficial horseshit, but with pirate carts showing up all over the place now you're essentially paying a premium for a level of exclusivity you can't even rely on. I suppose you could limit yourself to games so worthless that nobody would ever pirate them...but do you need to blow hundreds of bucks to play 3 Count Bout?

That, and with the amount of modification needed to get decent video and two good sticks with an AES is pretty silly. Even if you are one of those guys who's occasionally asking here about how to get the non-fucked up version of Metal Slug on their POS multi-cart, you're still going to need a Neo Bitz/JROK, a UniBIOS, and some parts for sticks. You might as well invest that into a CMVS by any measure.
IMG

EvilEvoIX

Quote from: elmer on 11/11/2015, 10:06 PM
Quote from: EvilEvoIX on 11/11/2015, 09:28 PMAES stuff is getting VERY expensive at the moment.  You really have to search and be willing to pay a lot to get a AES systems.
Excellent! Sounds like a good time to sell my lovely old low-serial-number AES to a "collector".

Although I really should plug in Viewpoint one-last-time.  :wink:
I got me a low serial number unit too.  I'd love a copy of Viewpoint if you are that tired of it.
IMGIMGIMG
Quote from: PCEngineHellI already dropped him a message on there and he did not reply back, so fuck him, and his cunt wife.

EvilEvoIX

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 11/11/2015, 10:24 PMYou really have to be...dumb...honestly, to get into AES at this point. Ten years ago it was a rich idiots game, now it's just idiots period. The only lure (supposedly) of the much more expensive AES is that it's so exclusive and exciting and "I always wanted one back in the day" and all that fucktarded superficial horseshit, but with pirate carts showing up all over the place now you're essentially paying a premium for a level of exclusivity you can't even rely on. I suppose you could limit yourself to games so worthless that nobody would ever pirate them...but do you need to blow hundreds of bucks to play 3 Count Bout?

That, and with the amount of modification needed to get decent video and two good sticks with an AES is pretty silly. Even if you are one of those guys who's occasionally asking here about how to get the non-fucked up version of Metal Slug on their POS multi-cart, you're still going to need a Neo Bitz/JROK, a UniBIOS, and some parts for sticks. You might as well invest that into a CMVS by any measure.
I got a stack of 12 NOS US AES Games for $22 each game back in 07.  I slowly built my collection to a meager 35 Games and I love the system really.  I got my AES for cheap BITD as well.  No special Video mods needed, just a Scart Lead and RGB goodness.  I did install the Multibios but it is so worth it.

If you really want pick up a CD system, yeah those loading times but you can simply burn every game from the beginning ending with KOF99 (Unplayable but hey it's free!!!!!).

Cheaper carts can be found, I found 6 on my trip and they were ALL in Brick and Mortar Video Games stores.  It's a hard system to collect for as every game is collectible and worth something.  Just stay away from eBay madness for sure.
IMGIMGIMG

bob

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 11/11/2015, 10:24 PMYou really have to be...dumb...honestly, to get into AES at this point. Ten years ago it was a rich idiots game, now it's just idiots period. The only lure (supposedly) of the much more expensive AES is that it's so exclusive and exciting and "I always wanted one back in the day" and all that fucktarded superficial horseshit, but with pirate carts showing up all over the place now you're essentially paying a premium for a level of exclusivity you can't even rely on. I suppose you could limit yourself to games so worthless that nobody would ever pirate them...but do you need to blow hundreds of bucks to play 3 Count Bout?

jesus, you are so chad.

slinkyturd

The Neo Geo X Gold system is an option too. You can still get one and deck it out with roms for under $200. It does have a few drawbacks but cost is certainly not one of them.
70/95 US Turbochips

SignOfZeta

Please don't joke. This is adults talking here.
IMG

slinkyturd

What? It's no better or worse than an everdrive.
70/95 US Turbochips

Caseh

Quote from: slinkyturd on 11/12/2015, 03:49 AMWhat? It's no better or worse than an everdrive.
You're having a laugh? Right?

Comparing Everdrive/SD carts and emulators like the NGX are like comparing a shit and a shovel. If you want to play NeoGeo roms, a NGX is probably one of the last options I would take.

On topic - If you're a member over on the Neo Geo forums that's your best bet. I landed a nice example, low serial number AES about 6 months ago. Initially started a thread for a price check on a boxed AES, some guy posted a reply with a photo of four boxed systems sat in his wardrobe so I had my pick. :)

majors

Quote from: Caseh on 11/12/2015, 05:33 AMOn topic - If you're a member over on the Neo Geo forums that's your best bet.
Yes...but n-g folks are a special clique. You think PCFX members are brash, opinionated assholes, wait till you read these guys threads.

Quote from: stinkoman on 11/11/2015, 10:36 AMLooking for an AES with a couple games or a consolized MVS.
Are you just getting interested in Neo or is this a replacement? I went MVS (cab) route myslef, over the years I've acquired a few carts, all loose, some boots. Sold and traded some turds.

/w1081-h258-no
TG/PCE Collection.
"Booze should be a choice, not a privilege" -KCDC (The FP)

LostFlunky

Not a Neo Geo guy.. what is the significance of a low serial?

Caseh

Quote from: Lost Monkey on 11/12/2015, 08:51 AMNot a Neo Geo guy.. what is the significance of a low serial?
The lower serial numbers have better RGB output, there's a rough bracket knocking about that groups the quality of the RGB output opposed to the composite output.

It's rated something like:

0-85000 | RGB - A, Composite - C
85000 - 130000 | RGB - B, Composite - B
130000 - >190000 | RGB - C, Composite - A

Those numbers are made up but you get the general idea, higher serial number means better quality composite, worse RGB which means you'll likely need an RGB amp or pass through if using RGB with a high s/n AES.

LostFlunky

Quote from: Caseh on 11/12/2015, 09:39 AM
Quote from: Lost Monkey on 11/12/2015, 08:51 AMNot a Neo Geo guy.. what is the significance of a low serial?
The lower serial numbers have better RGB output, there's a rough bracket knocking about that groups the quality of the RGB output opposed to the composite output.

Those numbers are made up but you get the general idea, higher serial number means better quality composite, worse RGB which means you'll likely need an RGB amp or pass through if using RGB with a high s/n AES.
I see, thanks.  Glad it is a practical reason... and not a penis measurement...

BigusSchmuck

If you don't care how it looks and want to do it as cheaply as possible get a supergun and a mvs board. Use this as your guide:
http://www.hardmvs.com/html/PCBcompare.htm
I ended up getting my mvs-1 setup with a few games for under $200 including adapters to ps2 controllers, memory card reader and cards, unibios and it works great. Still need an enclosure for the damn thing, but there you go..

stinkoman

Quote from: majors on 11/12/2015, 08:44 AM
Quote from: Caseh on 11/12/2015, 05:33 AMOn topic - If you're a member over on the Neo Geo forums that's your best bet.
Yes...but n-g folks are a special clique. You think PCFX members are brash, opinionated assholes, wait till you read these guys threads.

Quote from: stinkoman on 11/11/2015, 10:36 AMLooking for an AES with a couple games or a consolized MVS.
Are you just getting interested in Neo or is this a replacement? I went MVS (cab) route myslef, over the years I've acquired a few carts, all loose, some boots. Sold and traded some turds.
 /w1081-h258-no
Yeah they are pretty bad. I have an account from 2002 that is still active. I stop dealing with that site because of the self entitled assholes over there.

I'm not looking to sink a lot of money into and build a collection. At least not AES stuff. I had a system in the past and have a few games from when i had my last system and just want to play a few of them again. The consolized MVS is nice cause it opens the doors for more games down the road.

EvilEvoIX

Quote from: Caseh on 11/12/2015, 09:39 AM

Spot on.  My AES IS 15,000.  If you must have an ARS, get one with a MVS converter, play cheaper arcade carts right on it.
IMGIMGIMG

cr8zykuban0

I was lucky enough to get some awesome deals for aes games when i was able to picking em up. I got to 76 titles but now its getting pricy so im just focusing on mvs and neo cd. I have a few friends who would love to have a neo geo system but just dont have the cash for aes. Cmvs+multicart=a great way to get into neo geo and to try out the great games

CrackTiger

To me, an MVS converter defeats the whole point of the novelty of owning an AES. Imagine a PC Engine with a Sega clamshell sized combo sticking out the front.

If you want a functional system and more and cheaper games, a CMVS is the only way to go. Even the best AES models for either RGB or composite aren't as good as a well-made CMVS and unibios is a must have.

If you've never owned an AES console, you'lly be shocked by how cheap and flimsy it feels. If you really want one to look at, your best bet is to buy a broken one for cheap and get a CMVS for actually playing games.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

Caseh

I had an MVS 6 slot and a load of games years back but sold the lot. This time around I opted for an AES, I don't regret the purchase but the MVS is the best option if it's all about having access (for reasonable sums of money) to the majority of the Neo library.

You either have to be insane or loaded to justify the purchase of most AES games. I made my peace and accepted I'll never own the likes of a MOTW or the Metal Slug games but there's enough of the common carts knocking about to keep me happy.

SignOfZeta

Then why even own a Neo Geo? Just to get your dick hard? If I couldn't play any game made after 1995 I probably wouldn't have bothered.

So you don't have Metal Slug 3? What's the point?
IMG

EvilEvoIX

I still say it is a great system, a great 2 player system.  The AES isn't quite as cheap and flimsy as posted earlier but it is very much an arcade board with plastic molded around it, almost an after thought.  Getting an AES and some cheap games is fine just to have, SS2 alone justifies the purchase IMHO.  You can get later games if you search for deals but any good games are going to be north of $100 for sure.
IMGIMGIMG

Caseh

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 11/12/2015, 07:51 PMThen why even own a Neo Geo? Just to get your dick hard? If I couldn't play any game made after 1995 I probably wouldn't have bothered.

Why even own a PC Engine? I can play all the games on an emulator, right? Actually, why own any consoles made before 2005? :)

There are quite a few games made after 95 that are perfectly affordable, KOF games up to around 2000 as an example.

And MS3 is one of my least favourite of the series with MS1 and X beings personal favourites, not willing to sell body organs to fund the purchase though.

Opethian

IMG

SignOfZeta

Quote from: Caseh on 11/13/2015, 04:14 AM
Quote from: SignOfZeta on 11/12/2015, 07:51 PMThen why even own a Neo Geo? Just to get your dick hard? If I couldn't play any game made after 1995 I probably wouldn't have bothered.

Why even own a PC Engine? I can play all the games on an emulator, right? Actually, why own any consoles made before 2005? :)
Was that suposed to apply in any way to something I said?

Sure, you can have fun with any Neo Geo, even a Neo Geo X, but if you HAD an MVS and switched to AES and you aren't a millionaire then ALL you did was reduce the number of games you can play. That's it.
IMG

Caseh

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 11/13/2015, 08:59 AMSure, you can have fun with any Neo Geo, even a Neo Geo X, but if you HAD an MVS and switched to AES and you aren't a millionaire then ALL you did was reduce the number of games you can play. That's it.
Not really, if you own an AES you can play both formats. The price of an AES and convertor is probably comparable to a CMVS. Difference being the AES will no doubt gain value over time.

The MVS/convertor is simply a path I've not bothered going down this time around.

CrackTiger

Quote from: Caseh on 11/13/2015, 09:48 AM
Quote from: SignOfZeta on 11/13/2015, 08:59 AMSure, you can have fun with any Neo Geo, even a Neo Geo X, but if you HAD an MVS and switched to AES and you aren't a millionaire then ALL you did was reduce the number of games you can play. That's it.
Not really, if you own an AES you can play both formats. The price of an AES and convertor is probably comparable to a CMVS. Difference being the AES will no doubt gain value over time.

The MVS/convertor is simply a path I've not bothered going down this time around.
Has a 100% converter been invented yet? If so, are they no longer hundreds of dollars? Last time I checked, the Super V2(?) converter was over $300 alone and required an additional power supply sold separately to play some games.

Still seems like buying a PCE LT + SCD + adatpter + HuCard converter.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

Caseh

There's one called Magic Key that plays pretty much everything, even the multi carts. It's about £200 and to my knowledge it doesn't require it's own Psu and has a variant of the unibios installed.

I think there may be issues with AES systems that use the 5v PSU but I may be confusing it with the Phantom convertor.

xcrement5x

Quote from: Caseh on 11/13/2015, 11:51 AMThere's one called Magic Key that plays pretty much everything, even the multi carts. It's about £200 and to my knowledge it doesn't require it's own Psu and has a variant of the unibios installed.

I think there may be issues with AES systems that use the 5v PSU but I may be confusing it with the Phantom convertor.
It's about £200

about £200

£200!

Jesus Christ, that is a hell of an investment.  I could buy a 1slot MVS and a shitty supergun from a reseller for less than than and still have enough to pay for a visit to nullilty's favorite asian massage parlor.
Demented Clone Warrior Consensus: "My pirated forum clone is superior/more "moral" than yours, neener neener neener..."  ](*,)

geise

Just get a supergun.  Then you can buy pcb's as well.  Shit, you can probably get a Neo cab locally for less than what people want for an AES console and a few super common games now a days.

CrackTiger

You can buy a decent cmvs for $300 with unibios and better video output than any unmodified AES.

SignOfZeta

I paid less than $200 (dollars, not pounds) for my CMVS. It came with the UniBIOS, a Neo CD pad, and an AES stick. I have Rage of Dragons, KOF 2003, Metal Slug 3, and many other games, none of which cost me more than $45 except Pulstar which was over a hundred.

To do that AES style I'd need thousands...PER GAME in many instances. If you can actually source one of those £200 converters you'd have...nothing...since all it does is let you play MVS carts...and an MVS can already play MVS carts natively, you still be at step 1 before you even talk about a system.

The AES is probably the most clear cut example of a more expensive alternative that is worse in every single way. If you're more interested in hype than game play, that is, if you are a poseur, then AES is great. Me, I like flying spaceships and shooting fireballs and shit.
IMG

Caseh

Quote from: guest on 11/13/2015, 12:21 PMIt's about £200

about £200

£200!
Lol! Yeah I guess it is pricey. It all comes down to what someone is willing to spend, their technical knowledge and the functionality/setup they want.

If money is tight then a PCB supergun with an ATX PSU and MVS 1 slot will give you access to the entire MVS and JAMMA library for peanuts. I've toyed with the idea myself for one of those Pandora 50,000 in 1 carts but Ive got consoles coming out of my arse these days and probably wouldn't use it.

In the UK, the availability of many things is limited and when you do find somewhere that supplies niche items, your wallet often gets raped.

CrackTiger

Quote from: Caseh on 11/13/2015, 02:09 PM
Quote from: guest on 11/13/2015, 12:21 PMIt's about £200

about £200

£200!
Lol! Yeah I guess it is pricey. It all comes down to what someone is willing to spend, their technical knowledge and the functionality/setup they want.

If money is tight then a PCB supergun with an ATX PSU and MVS 1 slot will give you access to the entire MVS and JAMMA library for peanuts. I've toyed with the idea myself for one of those Pandora 50,000 in 1 carts but Ive got consoles coming out of my arse these days and probably wouldn't use it.

In the UK, the availability of many things is limited and when you do find somewhere that supplies niche items, your wallet often gets raped.
That's just emulation. A cmvs or supergun + mvs board plsying mvs carts is completely different.

SignOfZeta

Why does this fuckhead equate MVS with emulation? That's the second time he's done it. We're talking about ways to play actual Neo games. Just because MVS is thousands of dollars cheaper than AES doesn't mean it's some hanky bootleg horseshit. These are real arcade boards that play real Neo Geo games. The exact same code on the exact same chips manufactured in the same factory on the same day.

The AES was created as a cheap way to play MVS, but things flip flopped when all the arcades went out of business. The only *real* work done to make the AES was a DRM scheme to lock out MVS carts and vice versa, the very same scheme those stupid converters defeat. MVS is the way most people played Samurai Showdown, Magician Lord, all that. It's as legit as anything that ever was.
IMG

Caseh

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 11/13/2015, 03:08 PMWhy does this fuckhead equate MVS with emulation? That's the second time he's done it. We're talking about ways to play actual Neo games. Just because MVS is thousands of dollars cheaper than AES doesn't mean it's some hanky bootleg horseshit. These are real arcade boards that play real Neo Geo games. The exact same code on the exact same chips manufactured in the same factory on the same day.

The AES was created as a cheap way to play MVS, but things flip flopped when all the arcades went out of business. The only *real* work done to make the AES was a DRM scheme to lock out MVS carts and vice versa, the very same scheme those stupid converters defeat. MVS is the way most people played Samurai Showdown, Magician Lord, all that. It's as legit as anything that ever was.
The Pandora would have been for the CPS games rather than Neo Geo you tool. That's the whole reason I own a fucking AES.

NecroPhile

Why is it that an MVS is great if you 'just want to play the games', but if you want to play the same exact games via emulation you're a retard piece of shit?  You can't have fun if it's not legit, bruh! 
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

SignOfZeta

MVS is for impoverished scumbags who need to play Neo games so bad that they can't maintain the stoic maturity of a collectard with an AES who rarely plays anything because he has to pay $2000 a game, and is too chicken to even authenticate the games he has because he knows several are probably boots, and too scared to play them because the carts might get scuffed.

I can still smell the tiajuanan arcade my $15 Real Bout 2 cart came from. There is no more pure Neo experience than that and if you think I'm joking please go take a flying fuck at the moon.
IMG

ToyMachine78

Ive been playing the hell out of my CMVS since getting it last year and loving every minute of it!

Now you tell me I haven't been getting the legit Neo experience? My non art labled MVS carts are just a cheap knock off? Fuck my life!!! Its all been a sham!!!

That's it. I'm joining Nulltard's gay Craigslist prostitution ring. I'll have money for an AES and a full set of games in no time! Nothing will keep me from having a true neo geo home experience! To make matters better, I'm gonna hold out for a US Themed AES too, and have it region modded, and RGB modded to match my RGB modded US Themed Genesis. I surely do NOT want to buy a separate cord!

Nulltard.... Call me!

CrackTiger

Quote from: guest on 11/13/2015, 05:35 PMIve been playing the hell out of my CMVS since getting it last year and loving every minute of it!

Now you tell me I haven't been getting the legit Neo experience? My non art labled MVS carts are just a cheap knock off? Fuck my life!!! Its all been a sham!!!

That's it. I'm joining Nulltard's gay Craigslist prostitution ring. I'll have money for an AES and a full set of games in no time! Nothing will keep me from having a true neo geo home experience! To make matters better, I'm gonna hold out for a US Themed AES too, and have it region modded, and RGB modded to match my RGB modded US Themed Genesis. I surely do NOT want to buy a separate cord!

Nulltard.... Call me!
I made my own cart labels.

IMG
IMG

I'm also working on a set of matching shock box inserts.

BigusSchmuck

Quote from: guest on 11/13/2015, 06:45 PM
Quote from: guest on 11/13/2015, 05:35 PMIve been playing the hell out of my CMVS since getting it last year and loving every minute of it!

Nulltard.... Call me!

IMG
IMG

That's good to know.. Let me know if you plan to ever sell any of them, might be pming you in the future if you are..

EvilEvoIX

Quote from: guest on 11/13/2015, 01:24 PMYou can buy a decent cmvs for $300 with unibios and better video output than any unmodified AES.
I don't get this, I run an unmodified AES save for Unibios and use an off the shelf SCART lead and it looks AMAZING.  I've run my MVS cab back to back at the same time (SAME GAME!) and I'll be darned if I've noticed a difference.
IMGIMGIMG

SignOfZeta

The guy I bought my first batch of games from had full color cases and whatever for every game. I told him to keep them. They had a plain white lable for the first 10-20 years of their life, I don't see any reason to change that.
IMG

geise

I got my AES in 96.  I loved it and got some games for fairly cheap.  Well cheap being around $100 for early KOF games and a few other now uncommon games.  It was great then, but wtf with the prices now.  It's the biggest rate hike than anything.  There is no real point for a "gamer" to get an AES now.  Around 2010 or early 2011 you could still get an AES for cheap as shit though, but then people got buyers remorse when they saw most of the "wanted" game prices.  Now an AES JP with no box and 1 controller and common games like Art of Fighting 2 or FF Special is $400 easy.   Well for the bay.  It's not that much cheaper anymore even on the neo forums.  So I sold my AES shit and went MVS.  Best thing I ever did.  I do regret not having Magician Lord anymore though.  Now people getting an AES with an MVS converter is just silly to me.  Are there any converters now that don't have that scaling issue with games like Art of Fighting or Waku Waku 7?

BTWI love my beat to shit carts.  Haha some I have labeled with masking tape and a sharpie.  The boards inside look mint though.  Kinda funny.  I like my carts looking played.

SignOfZeta

Yeah, stickers just make you look like you wish you had an AES. Leave it for the punters.

FWIW, I'm pretty sure the new converters work with everything. The old ones straight up sucked though.
IMG

EvilEvoIX

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 11/13/2015, 08:46 PMYeah, stickers just make you look like you wish you had an AES. Leave it for the punters.

FWIW, I'm pretty sure the new converters work with everything. The old ones straight up sucked though.
I have an old school Arcade converter and it works with all my MVS Games save for my multi cart, MS5, and SS5.  I am certain SVC wouldn't work either but hey good enough so far.
IMGIMGIMG

CrackTiger

I like being able to identify and find my games. Many MVS carts I bought had no label, an unreadable one or a peeling fugly repro label. Shock boxes with decent inserts makes a huge difference as well when it comes to organizing and locating games that I feel like playing. I like game carts, not what I believe to be "the AES experience". I had an AES and could have another at any time. I don't give my games labels or cases because I'm trying to recreate an AES experience. The Omega looks, feels and functions better and having a cart label that I can remove any time only ties everything together all the more. You don't have to only either play marker-labeled cdrs stored in an old CD wallet or be a full collectard. There is a genuine appreciation to be had for all aspects of video games. I've never tailored by gaming lifestyle around what other people think, otherwise my hobby would be attention-whoring.

cr8zykuban0

Quote from: guest on 11/13/2015, 06:45 PM

Nulltard.... Call me!
IMG
IMG
those stickers on the carts look pretty sick! lol