10/31/2023: Localization News - Dead of the Brain 1!

No, NOT a trick, a Halloween treat! Presenting the Dead of the Brain 1 English patch by David Shadoff for the DEAD last official PC Engine CD game published by NEC before exiting the console biz in 1999! I helped edit/betatest and it's also a game I actually finished in 2023, yaaay! Shubibiman also did a French localization. github.com/dshadoff/DeadoftheBrain
twitter.com/NightWolve/PCENews
Main Menu

Space Adventure Cobra and Snatcher

Started by brizio, 02/05/2016, 05:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

brizio

Both Space Adventure Cobra and Snatcher were localized in English for the Sega/Mega CD platform based on the PCEngine versions. How hard would it be to apply get the English text from the Sega versions and apply them to the PCE versions?
I saw some discussions on the forum already on this topic but no attempt yet so I assume that would be quite difficult... Still, given the PCE versions of both were not censored would be cool to find a way to do this!

NecroPhile

On the technical side, it'd be just as much work as any other translation.  No matter where the translation comes from you'd have the same difficulties of finding where everything is, making stuff fit, getting acceptable fonts, etc.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

CrackTiger

The Sega-CD version of Snatcher has a lot of different content. The Space Adventure is a port of Cobra II.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

johnnykonami

I'm a big fan of Cobra.  I bought part II for PCE a long time ago but I never picked up part I and would like to soon.  If anything, since Cobra II was basically already translated for Sega CD - I would love to see the work put towards Cobra I.  Or UY Stay with You!  I think for Snatcher a more interesting project would be to translate the pilot disc and get some of those interviews off of there.

technozombie

Since those game are available in English through the Sega CD, it makes much more sense for hackers to put their effort into completely unlocalized games. Xanadu 1/2, anearth fantasy stories, and emerald dragon to name a few.

VestCunt

Quote from: technozombie on 02/05/2016, 01:19 PMit makes much more sense for hackers to put their effort into completely unlocalized games.
+1
Topic Adjourned.

HailingTheThings

IMG

johnnykonami

HailingTheThings

IMG

technozombie

Psycho Punch

This Toxic Turbo Turd/Troll & Clone Warrior calls himself "Burning Fight!!" on Neo-Geo.com
For a good time, reach out to: aleffrenan94@gmail.com or punchballmariobros@gmail.com
Like DildoKobold, dildos are provided free of charge, no need to bring your own! :lol:
He also ran scripts to steal/clone this forum which blew up the error logs! I had to delete THOUSANDS of errors cause of this nutcase!
how_to_spell_ys_sign_origin_ver.webp

arromdee

As shown in Cobra the Animation: Time Drive, Lady actually was once a human (despite all the sites that take text from Wikipedia and claim she is an android).

Phase

Trenton_net

Quote from: technozombie on 02/05/2016, 01:19 PMSince those game are available in English through the Sega CD, it makes much more sense for hackers to put their effort into completely unlocalized games. Xanadu 1/2, anearth fantasy stories, and emerald dragon to name a few.
I somewhat agree with this, but you can't deny that Snatcher keeps coming up as a major topic time and time again. At the very least it shows that there is great demand for a translation, even if an English version does exist in the form of the Sega CD. The problem is, regardless of public demand you need to get stakeholders to buy into the idea (Ie. people with the talent who can do translation patches), and it seems most just go "play the Sega CD version".

Considering how often the subject comes up, I would have assumed someone would have just done it already to get the monkey off the translation scene's back. It would stop the Snatcher topic from coming up again and again, plus it would make (I would think, in my humble opinion) a large portion of the PCE community very happy. Not that they are owed anything, but just to say that the effort would be sincerely appreciated and not gone to waste.

EmperorIng

If the topic is brought up again and again, and the answer, again and again, is "play the mega-cd version", it sounds to me like it's mostly a closed issue.  :) Perhaps there is some historical novelty to it, but I'd reckon that people usually funnel through the path of least resistance (MCD). The demand probably is not as great as it seems, especially compared to waiting for translations of Falcom games (which are popular these days) and obscure labor-of-love translations. Speaking of obscure labors of love, Sol Moonarge, c'mon man.

TurboXray

elmer

And I nominate Arkhan!  :dance:

Who's next?  :wink:

Enternal

Quote from: Trenton_net on 05/05/2016, 12:19 PM
Quote from: technozombie on 02/05/2016, 01:19 PMSince those game are available in English through the Sega CD, it makes much more sense for hackers to put their effort into completely unlocalized games. Xanadu 1/2, anearth fantasy stories, and emerald dragon to name a few.
I somewhat agree with this, but you can't deny that Snatcher keeps coming up as a major topic time and time again. At the very least it shows that there is great demand for a translation, even if an English version does exist in the form of the Sega CD. The problem is, regardless of public demand you need to get stakeholders to buy into the idea (Ie. people with the talent who can do translation patches), and it seems most just go "play the Sega CD version".

Considering how often the subject comes up, I would have assumed someone would have just done it already to get the monkey off the translation scene's back. It would stop the Snatcher topic from coming up again and again, plus it would make (I would think, in my humble opinion) a large portion of the PCE community very happy. Not that they are owed anything, but just to say that the effort would be sincerely appreciated and not gone to waste.
We did get the translated Rondo of Blood even if those had pesudo ports. (snes/psp)

Space Adventure has started to gain in popularity and has tripled in price in two years. Maybe the stupid game chasers and alpha omega sin helped carry that along.
Of the two, Snatcher has several changes the big one being censorship, and Space Adventure Cobra? Not much? It's one of the rare games of that time that managed to get the nudity across intact.

With the Sega community resources it probably easier to edit the censored changes on the Sega Snatcher than to translate the PCE one.

seieienbu

Quote from: Trenton_net on 05/05/2016, 12:19 PMConsidering how often the subject comes up, I would have assumed someone would have just done it already to get the monkey off the translation scene's back. It would stop the Snatcher topic from coming up again and again, plus it would make (I would think, in my humble opinion) a large portion of the PCE community very happy. Not that they are owed anything, but just to say that the effort would be sincerely appreciated and not gone to waste.
I don't personally like this assumption.  Very few PC Engine games get translated and released.  To the best of my knowledge, the only one so far this year is Valkyrie no Densetsu.  Given the vast number of PC Engine exclusive games that don't have English translations, why should the few people translating games worry about one that's already in English?  It seems a far better use of resources effort for people to say "If you want to play Snatcher in English, check it out on Sega CD" than to have capable hackers/translators spend the time it would take to translate that much in game text and work on something else that wasn't already playable in English.
Current want list:  Bomberman 93

technozombie

I would love to see the PCE Snatcher translated, but as a gamer it just makers much more sense to ask for Legend of the Wind ;) to get translated vs. A game that I could already play if I wanted too. It's not like it is Metal Gear for MSX vs. NES where there are significant differences.

CrackTiger

I love Cobra II and the localization for Sega-CD and can't help but feel that it would be worth trying to get that same translation and voice work into the PCE version. Snatcher for Sega-CD has mostly awful voice work and too many changes. If Snatcher CD-ROMantic were to be translated it should be from scratch.

With that said, Princess Eyedoll should be done before those two are considered. It's the Sapphire of 16-bit digicomic/adventure games and has the best RPG graphics of the generation.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

SignOfZeta

Yeah, Snatcher is special. I agree. I would love to see it translated and I'm sure some day we will.
IMG

deubeul

Quote from: guest on 05/28/2016, 06:19 PMWith that said, Princess Eyedoll should be done before those two are considered. It's the Sapphire of 16-bit digicomic/adventure games and has the best RPG graphics of the generation.
I second that. (assuming you're talking about private eyedoll  :wink:)

dshadoff

The important thing to recognize here is that "the scene" is not an organized group which directs resources according to a central plan.  It is a collection of hobbyists, each of whom has their own reasons and motivations.  There are no resources to allocate toward one game versus another.

If your favorite game, by chance, happens to be a game that one of the very rare hackers or translators is interested in, you may get lucky and get a translation eventually.

What motivates a person to translate a game is likely going to be some combination of the below:
1) ease of translation at a technical level (i.e. text is found, little or no compression, easy-to-understand code flow)
2) ease of translation at a translation level (kilobytes, instead of megabytes of text)
3) relative enjoyment (actual or anticipated) of the game, as judged by the translation team.
4) playability (and replayability) of the game if it were translated versus left untranslated
...and so on

If the translators themselves are able to find essentially the same game in English on another platform, they are less likely to feel items 3) and 4) above are worth their while (although there may be exceptions, as this is a very personal choice).

In any case, there is value suggesting games which might be fun if translated (or even fun to translate) - but only to the point that translators will look into whether it's worth their while.

-Dave