10/31/2023: Localization News - Dead of the Brain 1!

No, NOT a trick, a Halloween treat! Presenting the Dead of the Brain 1 English patch by David Shadoff for the DEAD last official PC Engine CD game published by NEC before exiting the console biz in 1999! I helped edit/betatest and it's also a game I actually finished in 2023, yaaay! Shubibiman also did a French localization. github.com/dshadoff/DeadoftheBrain
twitter.com/NightWolve/PCENews
Main Menu

Race is on B1tches! - How many have you cleared?

Started by Sinistron, 04/04/2009, 01:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Digi.k

beat brandish.

I think the password given was a code to assess how well I played in relation to a competition held by NEC at that time...
IMG

blueraven

Awesome!!  =D> I've always wanted to try that one but the mechanics had me really confused when I had it the first time. I think I sent my copy to someone years back for secret santa...

shubibiman

Quote from: Digi.k on 01/21/2016, 05:28 PMbeat brandish.

I think the password given was a code to assess how well I played in relation to a competition held by NEC at that time...
IMG
No, it actually says how many times you've used the Attack command.

And congrats BTW ;)
Self proclamed Aldynes World Champion

blueraven

Clear 19.5: Mysterious Song - Original Mode

The first time through I played the game in balanced mode. Steve and Necromancer told me about the extra features hidden in the game the other day, so I ran through it a second time in 3 hours, and got the characters up to level 37, with the last spell obtained as X-Heal. After barely beating Grimm despite a shit-ton of ether in the inventory, It went to the "Woda" banner screen, and EX MODE UNLOCKED appeared. After clicking on it, Ogien appeared again.

IMG

He sent me back to the beginning of he game, and I am now on the third run-through to unlock the bonus features. This is a moment where the FRAM mod would be really nice to have, if you were interested in keeping your EX save.

Digi.k

after an evening of few scares as I think my disc has a damaged spot... and after quite a few resets and reloads game goes back to normal and I managed to beat it.. man those last levels are really annoying along with annoying bosses and it makes my console glitchy!!

pcengine-fx.com/forums/index.php?topic=19816.msg445379#new

Popful Mail

Mail is like a female Adol
IMG
IMG
IMG

Digi.k

the sentiments still brings a little tear to the eye..

IMG
IMG
IMG
IMG

NightWolve

johnnykonami

Quote from: Digi.k on 02/03/2016, 11:24 AMthe sentiments still brings a little tear to the eye..
I haven't seen this in a long while either, but first thing that came to mind was "Wow, what a great font!"  Seems relevant to our very own Xanadu translation team!

EmperorIng

Keith is such a downer in that scene. Dude, can you go one conversation without, like, bringing up your dead girlfriend, man?

geise

This will always be one of the best threads on the forums.  Yet also the one with the most spoilers. LOL!

Digi.k

another Falcom game beat and to be retired for another time.

IMG
IMG
IMG
IMG

johnnykonami

Man, that brings back some memories.  One of my favorite RPGs, I need to get it out and play it again.  I still have part II to work through one day, also.  Never played through that one.

NightWolve

Huh, there were characters named Ethan and Sonia in that game, didn't remember that.

shubibiman

Clear #297 : Dungeon Explorer 2

IMG

Clear #298 : Obocchama Kun

IMG

jtucci31

Clear 22: Dungeon Explorer

Sorry for the monster picture, I'll fix it when I'm not on my phone. A group of friends in my dorm and I all played this over the course of the past few weeks. After typing in passwords after passwords, we did it. It was amazing and we are all looking forward to playing part 2!

IMG

shubibiman

NecroPhile

Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

shubibiman

NecroPhile

But.... but........ it's not that bad.  :(

Hatters gonna hat?

shubibiman

shubibiman

Clear #

IMG

P-47 - The Freedom Fighter

IMG

8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

esteban

Quote from: shubibiman on 03/05/2016, 09:47 AMP-47 - The freedom Fighter

IMG

8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
Tell me—should I go back to this game?

What are your feelings on it?

I played it a billion years ago, but I don't really remember how I felt beyond vagaries (it seemed OK...very average).

Then again, I am very forgiving of generic shootemups like this.

I should play it again.
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

shubibiman

It's a classic. Looks oldish but it's impressive at times (the sunset in level 2 is superb). Some phases are very tricky and you'll have to train before you can make out how to go through them.

You definitely have to give it another try.

shubibiman

Clear #301 : J.League Greatest Eleven  :

IMG

Clear #302 : Spinpair

IMG

PC Genjin 2 (xxxth time clear)

IMG

NecroPhile

jtucci31

Don't ever let this thread die!!!

Clear 23: Bomberman 93

Finally sat down with a Bomberman game. I've started 94 many times, but decided to give this a go. Had to continue a buttload of times, but I don't care, still counts for me. I had a lot of fun, even if it got a bit tedious at the end. I'll play through the other 2 games sometime soon-ish. Need to get back on the clear train  8)

IMG

jtucci31

Clear 24: Alzadick Summer Carnival '92

Wow, this was hard as shit. Way harder than Tatsujin or Raiden. Kicked my ass, spent all day trying to beat it.  8)

The 14th Planet
IMG

Battle of Valdea
IMG

shubibiman

EmperorIng

Quote from: guest on 07/08/2016, 01:48 PMClear 24: Alzadick Summer Carnival '92

Wow, this was hard as shit. Way harder than Tatsujin or Raiden. Kicked my ass, spent all day trying to beat it.  8)
The problem with PC Engine FX and posts like these is that I can no longer tell when someone is being sarcastic or just has massive problems with easy games (aka "A Black Falcon syndrome").

jtucci31

Quote from: EmperorIng on 08/30/2016, 07:31 PM

The problem with PC Engine FX and posts like these is that I can no longer tell when someone is being sarcastic or just has massive problems with easy games (aka "A Black Falcon syndrome").
Was just being sarcastic. If I actually had a difficult time with it I would have written a 2000+ word essay about it :wink:

EmperorIng

Quote from: guest on 08/31/2016, 11:28 AM
Quote from: EmperorIng on 08/30/2016, 07:31 PM

Wow, this was hard as shit.
Was just being sarcastic. If I actually had a difficult time with it I would have written a 2000+ word essay about it :wink:
Make sure you blame the controls while noting the lack of parallax too!

esteban

On a somewhat somber note, as I was cleaning out my basement yesterday, I found an old bubble mailer from Sinistron :(

R.I.P. Sini

shubibiman

Clear #304 : Shiawase Usagi II : Toraware Usagi / Sailor Z.

It was hot ! And there's a lot of pixelization !

blueraven

Quote from: esteban on 08/31/2016, 01:28 PMOn a somewhat somber note, as I was cleaning out my basement yesterday, I found an old bubble mailer from Sinistron :(

R.I.P. Sini
:(

I just finished clear #19 or 29, I have to go back 40 pages and look

PunkCryborg

This thread should never die
#52 CyberCore

IMG

esteban

Quote from: PunkCryborg on 07/12/2017, 09:34 PMThis thread should never die
#52 CyberCore

IMG
Hey, did you notice there is a message in the credits, at the very end, something like:

"See you in summer"....

Which is probably just a reference to "Summer Caravan" with the Hudson shootemup d'jour...

...but I always fantasized it was a reference to an upcoming unreleased IGS shootemup or an aborted "IGS Carnival"...

jtucci31

EmperorIng

It has been far too long since I've beaten a PCE game (little time or predilection for games as of late). I should probably literally dust off that Chuuka Taisen card and make some real progress; the epiphany came when I switched on autofire and the game (which has built in autofire) became 5x easier.  8)

blueraven

HELL YEAH PUNK.

OK NEW CHALLENGE.

Since everyone has just been talking about how they really want to play the Turbo/PCE... And there is even a thread where we TRIED to beat all of the games in a year, (thanks btw Bardoly?)

WE SHOULD START BEATING SOME FUCKING GAMES

blueraven

Somehow, I'm at clear #20.. Mysterious Song. This is an older photo from last November I think.

IMG

In before the photobucket lock!!

NecroPhile

esteban

PunkCryborg

Quote from: blueraven on 07/18/2017, 01:56 AMHELL YEAH PUNK.

OK NEW CHALLENGE.

Since everyone has just been talking about how they really want to play the Turbo/PCE... And there is even a thread where we TRIED to beat all of the games in a year, (thanks btw Bardoly?)

WE SHOULD START BEATING SOME FUCKING GAMES
Well beating these games we collect should be everyone's goal on this forum and in this hobby in general!

blueraven

Quote from: PunkCryborg on 07/18/2017, 12:43 PMWell beating these games we collect should be everyone's goal on this forum and in this hobby in general!
Torpedoes of Truth. :D

blueraven

Quote from: guest on 07/18/2017, 09:56 AMRegular or extended mode?
That was extended mode. I got to the mini bomberman game at the end.