PC Engine Pixelization

Started by CrackTiger, 03/02/2016, 01:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CrackTiger

These aren't complete, but just to get things started.

Sapphire:

Mosaic effect on skull boss.
Scaling post-boss explosions.

Parodius Da!:

Player sprite scaling

New Adventure Island:

Mosaic intro to each stage.

Gate of Thunder:

Scaling sprites during opening cinema.

Card Angels:

Mosaic effect on cards.

Mode 7 map effect during intro/misc.

Private Eyedoll:

Scaling dialogue text.

Magical Chase:

3rd boss scaling balls.

4-in-1/ PC Engine Catalogs/Misc demo disc:

Scaling bgs and scaling & rotating bgs.

Nexzr:

Scaling player sprite.

Star Parodia:

Scaling sprites.

Post-stage Mosaic screens.

Bomberman '93:

Battle Mode Victory screen scaling.

Art of Fighting:

Scaling title.

Various Hudson games:

Scaling Hudson Soft logo.

Appended:
Quote from: guestHere's Chiki Chiki Boys:

IMG

And here's an earlier stage in Terraforming with a subtler, better looking wavy background effect:

IMG
IMG
IMG

These things? -

IMG

There's quite a few enemies that scale up out of the background too:

IMG
IMG

< edit >

I forgot ze baseball:

IMG

Dragon Egg

IMG
IMG
IMG
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

Digi.k

Valkyrie no Densetsu - player scaling
IMG IMG

Nexzr
IMG

_Paul

Star Parodier:
Lots of scaling in game and during intro.

NecroPhile

Bonk 3 scaled sprites and the aforementioned Cosmic Fantasy 4 mosaics.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

PukeSter

Hany on the Road- the intro

Digi.k

After Burner II
IMG IMG

Gradius - ending credits
IMG

Quote from: guest on 03/02/2016, 01:04 PMParodius Da!:

Player sprite scaling
Endings for all characters. planet scaling and characters fly into the screen
Blue Bell power up

ccovell

Populous (The Promised Lands): Realtime StarWars scroll

Lords of Thunder: Scaling ground in intro

Gredler

What an awesome thread, thanks forhis is a rad list of games that do this impressive magic. Which do you guys feel do it the best, and what sacrifices were made to allow for it? Dropped BG, sprite count limits, or simply frame rate?

Sarumaru

Didn't Art of Fighting also have player character sprites scaling??

CrackTiger

Quote from: Sarumaru on 03/04/2016, 12:16 AMDidn't Art of Fighting also have player character sprites scaling??
I don't think so, because it would look off. The game just switches between resolutions below the hud.

Fatal Furys have two sets of sprites though.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

Digi.k

How about Space Invaders Fukkatsu ??

The vector graphics in the intro.  (man if only someone did a shmup with vector graphics and sampled speech and sound for the pce...)

IMG IMG

Digi.k

Sol Moonarge has mosaic effect on enemy encounters
Hani on the road has scaling on the text game over
power tennis raster effect on the title screen ?

IMG

Digi.k

added some gifs.  Art of Fighting intermissions

IMG

Gredler

Those animated gifs are more like animated gifts. Man, those really exemplify what I was hoping to see. Seeing people flex their graphic programming muscle in a practical implementation is so exhilarating. Thanks for sharing!!

Joe Redifer

Great thread. More GIFs!

Digi.k

Quote from: guest on 03/02/2016, 01:04 PMThese aren't complete, but just to get things started.
Parodius Da!:
Player sprite scaling
Green Bell power up
IMG

sprite scaling ??
IMG
IMG
IMG

Blue Bell bomb power up, and I love the black and white silhouette thing there.
IMG

Digi.k

Quote from: guest on 03/02/2016, 01:04 PMThese aren't complete, but just to get things started.

Magical Chase:
3rd boss scaling balls.
Not sure about MC 3rd boss but gif is here.
IMG

Star Parodier
IMG
IMG
IMG

Digi.k

Quote from: ccovell on 03/02/2016, 05:12 PMPopulous (The Promised Lands): Realtime StarWars scroll

Lords of Thunder: Scaling ground in intro
IMG
IMG

Digi.k

Digi.k

Joe Redifer

It's too bad they couldn't warp horizontally as easily as they could vertically for a true scaling effect.

Digi.k

sigh this website I'm using to make these gifs have started to add their digital watermark

Can the roads on Thunderblade be included in this thread ?
IMG
IMG

Digi.k

ccovell

Quote from: Digi.k on 05/09/2016, 06:21 PMStar Parodier
IMG
No scaling happening here, just shearing.

Gredler

Quote from: ccovell on 05/10/2016, 08:10 PMjust shearing
I love this quote, is shearing significantly easier?

I almost said something, agreeing that it's not "scaling", but I love the idea of this thread showing off what the graphical wizardry was pulled off during the heyday, and didn't want to discourage the contributions. Anything that is more than a sprite or tile being displayed as the artist originally drew it I would consider wizardry, as an artist with little/no ability to code graphics stuff.

Digi.k

Quote from: Gredler on 05/10/2016, 08:26 PM
Quote from: ccovell on 05/10/2016, 08:10 PMjust shearing
Anything that is more than a sprite or tile being displayed as the artist originally drew it I would consider wizardry, as an artist with little/no ability to code graphics stuff.
ah that's a shame and yes that's how I see this thread too.

Card Angels
IMG

Sapphire
IMG

geise

Even though I have all these games and know about these effects I always still love seeing them.  Thanks again for sharing these Digi.k.

ccovell

Quote from: Gredler on 05/10/2016, 08:26 PMI love this quote, is shearing significantly easier?

I almost said something, agreeing that it's not "scaling", but I love the idea of this thread...
Shearing (just slanting the image by changing the scroll registers each scanline) is a little bit easier than the vertical stretching/scaling that we can sometimes see in PCE games.  Proper scaling (in both dimensions) is more CPU/RAM-intensive which is why it's usually limited to the SNES & Genesis.

Since the OP posted games with scaling/mosaic effects, I figured that "big pixels" was the thing highlighted here.

Digi.k

Quote from: ccovell on 05/11/2016, 02:34 AM
Quote from: Gredler on 05/10/2016, 08:26 PMI love this quote, is shearing significantly easier?

I almost said something, agreeing that it's not "scaling", but I love the idea of this thread...
Shearing (just slanting the image by changing the scroll registers each scanline) is a little bit easier than the vertical stretching/scaling that we can sometimes see in PCE games.  Proper scaling (in both dimensions) is more CPU/RAM-intensive which is why it's usually limited to the SNES & Genesis.

Since the OP posted games with scaling/mosaic effects, I figured that "big pixels" was the thing highlighted here.
Another post mentioned that there was scaling in the Star Parodier intro and scanning though clips that scene was the only bit where I could see anything remotely close to a scaling effect unless I've missed something in all those seconds of that animated introduction. But I thought it looked good so I added it in.  But what about this ? :P

IMG

TurboXray

Digi.k: I soo loving these gifs!

esteban

IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

Digi.k

Hany on the Road
IMG
IMG

Cosmic Fantasy 4
IMG
IMG

Sol Moonarge
IMG
IMG

Super Adventure Island /Takahashi Meijin no Bouken Jima
IMG

Bomberman '93
IMG

Digi.k

Parodius Da! - any special effects here that Konami are using with the enemy loincloth (Mawashi's) attack?

IMG
IMG

Racing Damashii, road scaling?
IMG

Digi.k

Street Fighter II'
IMG

Art of Fighting
IMG

Digi.k

Bazar de Gozarre or Bazaru de Gozaru

IMG

TurboXray

Bomberman (94?) underwater level.
Neutopia 2 underwater area.
Aldynes when the ship enters and exits the stage.

Digi.k

Quote from: TurboXray on 05/12/2016, 08:07 PMBomberman (94?) underwater level.
Neutopia 2 underwater area.
Aldynes when the ship enters and exits the stage.
That one?
IMG
Neutopia has similar effect.
IMG

TurboXray

NecroPhile

It's not much, but this boss scales up and down in size:

CrackTiger

Quote from: NecroPhile on 05/16/2016, 01:19 PMIt's not much, but this boss scales up and down in size:
It also rotates. :)

deubeul

There's a nice effect on the system card screen when you push the run button in Terraforming (PcE version, at least).

Digi.k

Quote from: deubeul on 05/17/2016, 08:12 AMThere's a nice effect on the system card screen when you push the run button in Terraforming (PcE version, at least).
IMG
IMG

jtucci31

This may be my new favorite thread. Please make many more!

NecroPhile

I figured out how to make my giffys!  Here's Chiki Chiki Boys:

IMG

And here's an earlier stage in Terraforming with a subtler, better looking wavy background effect:

IMG

Digi.k

Quote from: guestAnd here's an earlier stage in Terraforming with a subtler, better looking wavy background effect:
IMG
Seriously from that Terraforming I don't know why NEC Avenue couldn't produce layered scrolling like that in their Capcom ports..

Magical Chase has a similar effect but more subtle
IMG

Download 2
IMG
IMG

geise

NEC Ave was lazy.  Strider could've been so much more.  At least Hellfire-S and Forgotten Worlds were good games regardless of no scrolling.

Again, thank you for sharing all these gif images.

Digi.k

Quote from: guest on 03/02/2016, 01:04 PMScaling sprites during opening cinema.
Gate of Thunder
IMG

Dragon Saber... I really dislike some of the changes Namco did with this compared to the arcade but I too feel they were lazy as developers.
IMG

shubibiman

Quote from: guestAnd here's an earlier stage in Terraforming with a subtler, better looking wavy background effect:
IMG
Isn't there a transparency effect in the background :-k
Self proclamed Aldynes World Champion

Digi.k

Quote from: shubibiman on 05/18/2016, 03:12 PMIsn't there a transparency effect in the background ?
that kind of makes me wonder how they did the shadow effects on magical chase stage 4.

IMG

Sadler

Quote from: Digi.k on 05/18/2016, 03:22 PM
Quote from: shubibiman on 05/18/2016, 03:12 PMIsn't there a transparency effect in the background ?
that kind of makes me wonder how they did the shadow effects on magical chase stage 4.

IMG
I'm guessing it's all the same set of dynamic tiles, just a different palette for the shadowed areas.