most distinctive moments in videogames

Started by Tatsujin, 06/27/2007, 11:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tatsujin

what are your most distinctive moments in videogames (momentary situations, screen shots). here are some of mine:

IMG
couldn't sleep without nightmares for a while, after met him the first time!

IMG
the first picture of start point, is one of my most liked stills!

IMG
legendary

IMG
same as for daimakaimura

IMG
one of the most impressive enemy

IMG
chops on the ground

/truxtonjaqn2.png
first level bionic-boss. how i loved him!

IMG
this boss was a tough guy back then. also very distinctive the glimmering metallic style of ship and enemies. i believe, it was the first appearance like that in a video game.

IMG
best prologue ever

IMG
eat concrete, big bastard. one of the most funny boss fight in history :lol:

of course there're a lot more, i will post later :)
www.pcedaisakusen.net - home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games countdown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

OldRover

The first time I completed Vasteel was one of the most memorable video game experiences I've ever had. I was playing as Stefan, and lost to Fallial (sp?) in the final battle. My fiancee at the time was sitting next to me, watching me play, and the ending freaked us both out (it was late at night and we were both tired so that had an effect).

The Alys death scene in Phantasy Star IV was pretty memorable, as was the Pottle death scene in Vay. The Aeris death scene in FFVII was likewise memorable. It seems death scenes in RPGs stay with me for some reason.

I also remember, after six months of playing the damn game, FINALLY beating Sinistron. Man, I felt like a seasoned veteran after that. :) Also, discovering the Titan Boss "freeze" trick in Keith Courage long before the internet existed was likewise a very distinctive moment.
Turbo Badass Rank: Janne (6 of 12 clears)
Conquered so far: Sinistron, Violent Soldier, Tatsujin, Super Raiden, Shape Shifter, Rayxanber II

Joe Redifer

Great thread!  I can think of a few right off the bat:

IMG
Strider - Genesis - The awesome sword slash as the lightning sparks always looked awesome, and I saw it here first.

IMG
Strider - Arcade - Same thing at the arcade.  I've only ever seen Strider in the arcade once.

IMG
Katamary Damacy - PS2 - This crazy panda admires his own ejaculation puddle as a GIANT MARIJUANA LEAF hovers above him!  This game is MESSED UP!

4, 5, and 6.
IMG
Phantasy Star - Sega Master System - The awesome smooth 3D dungeons blew me away.  Better animation than most 16-bit 3D dungeons!

IMG

IMG
The graphics were just too good for an 8-bit game.  They almost looked like paintings to me at the time.  This game made a HUGE impression on me.

More to come later.

termis

Some great memories here - awesome thread. 

Tatsujin, what game is #10?  It looks pretty familiar, but I can't quite peg it in my memory.

I agree with the Phantasy Star I.  I can still remember being in awe of the 3D dungeon and the fighting scenes.  I was mighty impressed.  And the comment about Xevious.  I also recall thinking, "Wow, look at that cool shiny-reflective properties of metal - that's really cool".

As for a some ones that are burned in my memory...

Pitfall - I still remember this game really wowing me.  I believe it was the first game where I really felt I was part of some adventure.
IMG

Kung Fu.  I loved this game in the arcade (though it was Kung Fu _Master_), and when I saw this game had come out with the launch of the NES, I soooo wanted the system.  When my mom agreed to buy it for me (thanks mom!) I recall going to Toys R Us and seeing this cover on display.  It's kind of a shitty port now that I think about it, but hell - it was great at that time!  :dance:
IMG

Defender of the Crown (Amiga) - this was my first glance at the Amiga back in sometime like 87 or so.  I couldn't believe how good this looked, when all I could get at the time was my NES (and I thought the NES looked pretty good).  I walked away from the guy's house very very jealous.
IMG

Phantsy Star II - the mind-blowing dungeons.  Some hated the ceiling pipes, but I thought it was kinda neat.  The story is something that I still can't forget to this day.  And I just about forgotten ALL the RPG storylines I've played back in those days.  Especially the Neifirst and the ending scenes.  Brilliant.
IMG

Sonic the Hedgehog - special stage.  I was blown away.  It looked way better than some blocky mode-7 graphics.
IMG

SF2 (SNES) - this is when I knew that SNES was going to win out the 16-bit wars over my beloved Genesis.  It wasn't a perfect port, but damn good enough.
IMG

Thunder Force IV - I care not what the haters say (Keranu!) - the parallex of this game was awesome.
IMG

Joe Redifer

OK I've thought of some more moments in videogames that stood out to me.  Sorry, no pictures this time, only witty stories.

Phantasy Star II - Genesis - Nei dies.  Nothing like that ever happened to me in a videogame before.  Sure, these days it wouldn't be considered emotional or even abnormal, but back in 1989... wow.  I must admit that my eyes did swell up, as I really liked the Nei character.  Then she had to go and die on me.  Bitch.

Ys Book 1 and 2 - TurboGrafx-16 CD-ROM - Intro.  My friend defied his parents' wishes in 1990 and spent $400 on the CD-ROM add on for the TurboGrafx-16.  He also spent $120 more to get Valis 2 and Ys Book 1 and 2.  His parents were not allowed to find out about this new thing, so we came back to my house to try it all out for the first time.  I had never played a CD-OM game before this.  Booting up Ys and listening to the opening narration was awesome.  The music when Feena appears on the title screen reminded me of a big-budget IMAX feature at the time.  It was amazing.  I still love that intro as it continues to take me to the next level unlike any other add on ever did.  Oh, I still have my friend's CD-ROM box (it's huge) since he left it with me to hide his purchase from his parents.  So I have 2 TG-CD boxes that I refuse to throw away!

Gate of Thunder - Duo - A different friend of mine purchased a DuoGrafx-16 when it first came out and brought it over.  It came with friggin' Gate of Thunder!  I was blown away by the scaling intros on the boot screens and whatnot.  I was also blown away by how fast the game loaded.  I figured they must have added some extra hidden power over the TurboGrafx-16 CD-ROM other than the extra memory.  There was next to no loading time at all!  I was blown away again when my Super System Card finally came with the Gate of Thunder 3-in-1 disc and the performance was exactly the same as the Duo.  I wondered why all games weren't programmed that well.

Mega CD - VHS - Some dude who worked down at the local game store purchased a Japanese Mega CD when it was released.  I barely knew the guy at all, but when I learned of this I took him a blank VHS tape and asked him to videotape it so I could watch.  He agreed.  A week later he had it finished (I don't think he ever even knew my name).  I asked him to let the boot-up screen scale and rotate for awhile before showing me the games.  It was awesome for the time.  Much better music than would be in the US Sega CD BIOS.  Then the games he showed were Sol Feces, Earnest Evans and Woodstock Funky Horror Band.  The best part of the whole tape?  The Mega CD BIOS.  The guy clearly left the volume slider on the Genesis all the way down, as Genesis-made sounds could barely be heard while music and PCM were loud and clear.  Recorded in EP and in mono, and I still have the tape.

Sega Saturn release - Electronics Boutique - One day in May 1995 a friend called me up and said he saw the Saturn in the store FOR SALE at Babbages or Software Etc or one of those during his lunch break.  "It's out?  OMG OMFG OMG!!!" I squealed.  Fortunately I happened to have $500+ cash just sitting around, so I bolted my ass down to EB and purchased the Saturn, Daytona USA and Panzer Dragoon.  Expensive?  Yeah, but I was way too stoked to care.  I got home and I freakin' LOVED Daytona (still do) as well as Panzer Dragoon.  Sure, the graphics haven't aged well, but I still get that special feeling when I play them.  I still have all three of those items, direct from the surprise launch day!  I still have the receipt with the exact date, but I am too lazy to look at it.

Sega Dreamcast release - Electronics Boutique - I did not reserve a Dreamcast, but I was told that they would go on sale at 12:01am on September 9, 1999.  So I went down to EB about 11:30pm or so and got in line... and it was a loooooong line.  No reservation at all, but by 12:20-ish I was walking out of the mall with my brand new DC and a handful of games.  Nowadays you have to wait in line to even reserve a game or system, and you're lucky to get a reservation at all if there are more that 10 or 15 people in line.  Nowadays sucks ass!

Halo 2 release - Target - I did not reserve Halo 2, either.  It was mid afternoon on the day of its release, maybe around 2:30 or 3:00pm or so.  I decided "what the hell" and decided I wanted Halo 2.  I drove down to the mall where EB was and entered the doors.  I saw a giant line coming out of the store and going down the mall.  I immediately turned around and left.  I then went to the Super Target right across the street where nobody was.  I picked up Halo 2 with no waiting at all.  The experience kicked ass.  Too bad the game sucks ass.  :(

Tatsujin

Quote from: thumpin_termis on 06/28/2007, 01:12 AMTatsujin, what game is #10?  It looks pretty familiar, but I can't quite peg it in my memory.
sorry, didn't mention eachs name :oops: it's IREMs daiku no gensan aka hammerin' harry. a great jumper which unfortunatelly never had a accurate port to our homes :(
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

elnino

Here are some of my favourite moments which come to my mind atm.

M*****feckin' Ganon, the first time I faced him without having upgraded the arrows, but he pushed me into the hole pretty quickly anyway. In the end, he didn't stand a chance against elnino-sama!
IMG
zeldadungeon.net/wiki/Ganon_(A_Link_to_the_Past)

Final boss of GoT, my heart was beating like crazy!
IMG

FFVI, final fight against Kefka, very impressive, he was way too easy though.
IMG

FFV, hardest feckin' boss I've ever seen in any game I've ever played! The first time, I walked through the last maze for about an hour just to get slashed down by this ass within minutes. When I finally thought I had beaten him, he transformed into NeoExDeath and sent 23456456 Meteo spells at my party within one turn! Of course I was going down again. It took me like 15 tries to beat him, I think I really learnt cussing thanks to him.
IMG

Gunhed bubble level, beautiful graphics!
IMG

Daimakaimura, probably my most favourite game, there was a time when I played it through twice a day for months! Loki's just great, like all the bosses in this game, if you stand on his foot and jump when he lifts it, you get very close to his face and are able to shoot him down easily. If you wonder what his penis looks like, there is none, lol. This screenshot seems to be fake, the wizard sends you back to the start of the level if you try to enter the final battle with a weapon other than the psycho cannon. It would be stupid anyway since the cannon is far the most powerful weapon in the game.
IMG

Maybe the best moment in game history, your ship is being chased by a brain! Hilarious!!
IMG
www.pcedaisakusen.net
People said his brain was infected by devils!
PCE Shmupscountown: 109/110 (1to go)
PCエンジン - シューティングゲーム読み秒:109/110個 (1個余る)

Tatsujin

loki is just great. indeed!! but why you put the stinky loki from the mega drive in here? you and i know!

Joe Redifer

The Loki screenshot isn't fake due to the level select code.  Still looks good on the Mega Drive/Genesis, though.  I'm amazed they put that much effort into the final boss which requires two playthroughs.  Maybe that's why they put in the level select, so more people could see their handiwork.

elnino

Quote from: Tatsujin on 06/28/2007, 05:36 AMbut why you put the stinky loki from the mega drive in here?
Because I was too lazy to continue searching for an SGFX screenshot while Google is offering me one of the MD version on the first page... :oops:
But I will gladly replace it if you give me a better one from the SGFX version. Although this would probably interfere with my remark about his snidel... [-X
www.pcedaisakusen.net
People said his brain was infected by devils!
PCE Shmupscountown: 109/110 (1to go)
PCエンジン - シューティングゲーム読み秒:109/110個 (1個余る)

Tatsujin

Quote from: elnino on 06/28/2007, 05:50 AMAlthough this would probably interfere with my remark about his snidel... [-X
you're such right at that point. so just let it be as it is! :snidel:

Seldane

Cool thread! I will totally contribute! :)

The first game I ever played. I had watched my brother play Commodore 64 game many times prior to this, but this was the first game that I actually played myself. I had no interest in games until I tried this one. I still wasn't hooked, but it was kinda fun.

/mariobrostd5.png

This is the game that did it all. Turned me into a video game maniac. I've played this game so much over the years, I can't even stand to watch it anymore. :P

/supermariobros3nesscreerq7.jpg

This game made me very emotional. It was my favorite game for the longest time. I absolutely loved it and I was coming up with my own Star Tropics-related stories almost every day. I could never stop thinking about it until...

/startropicsnesscreenshoaf4.jpg

...I saw this box. I was amazed by this game. The atmosphere and the story was absolutely amazing. Unlike a lot of folks though, I actually disliked the music (it took me many years to appreciate it, and now I think this one has the finest soundtrack in the entire series- primarily because I'm a real sucker for Master System music). Not only was the game really exciting, but it was scary too (not sure why I thought it was, but I was a kid). It was my favorite game for many many many years and it started an extreme Ys fandom in me, that has been very strong until recently- it is finally fading away. This game had a huge impact on me, obviously.

/ysbackqv6.jpg

I was never impressed by graphics in video games until I got my SNES and this game. Lagoon. A truly shitty game, but I was young and when you're young, any video game is fun, and thanks to nostalgia, I still find great fun in playing this one. I liked this one a lot for many reasons. 1. It reminded me of Ys. 2. The graphics were AWESOME! 3. The music was incredibly amazing, the drum samples in particular. Even my brother (who is a professional musician and sound engineer) thought the sound was quite impressive.

/lagoonea6.png

Alex Kidd in the Enchanted Castle was my first Sega Mega Drive game. I bought it because I had Alex Kidd in Miracle World on my Master System, which I enjoyed quite a lot. This game was a bit of a disappointment, but I still enjoyed it a lot. It was pretty much the only game I played on my Mega Drive, until...

/1200gh5.gif

...I got this one. Phantasy Star III. My first RPG. Holy crap I took this game seriously. I drew map, made tons of notes and really enjoyed the adventure fully. It felt as if I was in the game myself. I had a whole notebook dedicated to this game. I loved everything about it, except the music which I found disappointing, because I had heard so much about music being so great in RPGs. (But as with the Ys music, I learned to like it many years later.) I enjoyed Phantasy Star II as well, but not until years later. I still haven't played the fourth game (I've been meaning to buy it for about  ten years now, but it has yet to happen), and I never liked the first one.

/1199yn7.gif

And let's fast forward a little. I played many more games in the 16-bit era, but none of those games really stood out (okay, some of them did, but I am too lazy to write stuff about them. Maybe later). In 1999, I borrowed a Nintendo 64. I had never played (or even seen) a 3D game in my life, so needless to say, I was quite excited about the whole thing. I had two games: Super Mario 64 and Zelda Ocarina of Time. Having absolutely loved Zelda 1-3, of course I chose to play Ocarina of Time first. To be honest, my first impression with this game wasn't all that great, but I guess that had to do with the additional dimension. I had trouble playing it, the controls were awkward and the game just looked weird. Disappointed, I started playing Super Mario 64 instead, and BOY what a game that was! Anyway, some weeks later, when I was bored with Mario, I put in the OOT cart again and gave it a fair chance. I'm glad I did, because now that I was used to playing 3D games (thanks to Mario 64), and the fact that the controls were actually quite good in this one after all (something that can not be said about Mario 64), I had such indescribable fun with this one. EASILY the best game I had ever played, and I was even more immersed than when I played Phantasy Star III years earlier. DAMN this game rocked. When I was about halfway through the game, I had to return the console. I almost cried. :P I bought my own N64 later on, and played through this game again and again and again and....

/zeldaonlineocarinaoftimcn6.jpg

Again with the fast forwarding.

/burnout3takedowncxs2.jpg

WROOM WROOM WROOM! HOLY SHIT!!

Good night.
Quote from: Seldane on 04/21/2007, 07:28 PMDVDs are for suckers. Illegally pirated and stolen videos all the way. No menus. No "DO NOT PIRATE THIS!" screens. No fuss. Only perfection. I honestly only pirate movies because that "don't pirate this" screen annoys me. :wink:
IMG
Indeed, it's AV time. Check out: IMG! Sir, the door was open.

PCEngineHell

I have been playing games since I was 4 and a half. 1980-81 on up. I'm not going to post pics of games up,because alot of them,they wont be nearly as amazing to the eye now as they were when I was a kid. I will give  a run down of my most memorable moments however.

Being able to play the Sears VCS when I was almost 4 living in California. Totally amazing,nearly better then riding in my big wheel or playing with a book of matches and burning toy cars wheels with them.

Moving to Arkansas and stepping off the bus into the bus station. Pac Man arcade game was there waiting to greet me in their arcade. In Cali I never once saw a actual arcade game. Sadly enough the Grey Hound station in NLR,Ar. was more advanced then anywhere I had lived in California.

Everyone I knew had a VCS. Every gas station had arcade games. It was totally new to me,so many games to play.

At age 6 I was introduced to  a full fledged arcade. I got to play Star Wars for the first time along with many other arcade games of that period. I also made weekly trips to the sake rink,not to skate,but to play arcade games.

Eventually I only played arcade games,no more VCS. I had wanted more.

Nes and Master System came out. I played it alot and VS systems in arcades. I also played tons of Ikari Warriors and Rastan when I seen them at stores. I got a Nes in Dec 87.
Got Raid on Sucky Bay by Bordercrud and Gotcha on Nes. I liked Gotcha. On the other game I had no clue what to do.
I rented alot of games. Eventually I owned or borrowed Mario 2,Ninja Gaiden,and a few others like Karnov which I beat. I still played tons of arcade games,esp at the arcade at Wild River Country. Lifeforce on NES got many hours of my life.
 I ignored the Genesis and TG 16 when they came out,until 91-92.

I worshiped the Neo Geo.
I worshiped Capcom CPS1 titles.
I worshiped NEC.
I almost worshiped Sega just as much.
I never really likes Nintendo,as a company they stayed in my shit list with THQ but I did get a Snes.
I got a 32x. I liked it alot and everything released for it.
i discovered Time Killers,I worshiped it.
CPS 2 games were popping up everywhere. They were fun,but I did not like Capcoms new soft looking graphics approach. I was glad SNK was around making games.
1995-2001
PS,Saturn,DC,they all came out along with Jag and 3DO already being there at a lower price finally. I loved every system except the Play Station.

I got my first Neo AES in November 98. I got my first MVS 1-slot in early 99.
I never did like the X-Box or PS2. I have still as of yet to like a Sony system or Microsoft system.
I miss Sega hardware design.

Return to Castle Wolfenstien came out for pc and I became sold on PC 3d gaming completely for high end graphics.
I own Time Killers arcade game now.
I miss 3DFX.
I own alot of my fav arcade games released.
This includes Ikari Warriors.
The only new systems I have liked are the GameCube and the Wii.
If I need better hardware then that to run games,I have a pc. I dont need a 360 or PS3.

TR0N

Pac-Man-who didn't stand in line for this the times i went to, TimeOut! When it had it's release there was.
IMG

Discs of Tron-sure the frist tron arcade game was good but i like the theme for discs more.
IMG

Gauntlet II-Another game i put alot of quarters into. While one was a start i like how 2 gave you ,the option who you could play as beside.. it was fun when 4p play it
IMG
IMG
Btw still like these quotes from what the game had:Wizard is about to die! and Elf needs food badly!

Super Mario Bros-when i played this in the arcades i was hooked on it.. then i found out you could play it home on the NES. After that i had to get one not to mention, SMB lay the foundation down for action platformers to follow.
IMG

The Legend of Zelda-my first arpg wich was frist for many i'm sure of it.With, it's puzzle music and gameplay i go back to it from time to time.
IMG

Contra-While i play this in the arcades the, NES version still stands out for being more complete and longer gameplay.
IMG IMG

Ys 1&2-what can i say while my frist turbocd experience was ValisII & Monster Lair, Ys 1&2 story telling its music to its cut scenes.. and how it played blew me away back in the early 90's. It was some thing to show your friends when they had a SNES or Genesis.
IMG
IMG

Samurai Showdown-While SFII helped make fighters popular SNK set the bar with it's first weapon fighter even while it's been out done by the likes of, SS2. I still sit down and play for SS1 fun.
IMG
IMG

MetalSlug-Man this series came at the right time for me when konami contra series was hitting its all time low with contra low ugg. MS gave me that run'n'gun fix sure it wasn't high speed like contra, but with it's animation it's use of weapons and with a "whole lot of action going on the screen... it gave me what i wanted.
IMG
IMG

That's all i can think for now i'd list a shmup but there's so many i like.

Btw i don't need to list.. a castlevania every body here has done that all ready  :wink:
IMG
PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

RCduck7

As for modern gaming: The death of Aeris in Final Fantasy 7 and otherwise the birth of 3D wowed me (certainly on playstation)

As for retro: i had to think harder for this one as there are so many, but i choose Spellcaster for the sms, the tension it gave me!!
don't be human... be peacefull

td741

Hopefully fixed my images...

Here are a few:

When I first managed to do this in Galaga:
IMG

Gyruss: It was just a fun experience.
IMG

Quartet:  I don't know if this was the first 4 player game, but it was one that I most remember playing.  (I think there were a few driving games like sprint that had 3 or more driving wheels).
IMG

Walking into an arcade and hearing screams of pain.  When I finally get to the head of the cue to see what game it was I saw this:
IMG
(Golden Axe)

The next few are sound related:
I have spent lots of time listening to the music at these title screens on my C64:
IMG and IMG
Ahh... Ahhh Turbo Outrun and R-Type.

Then on my Amiga when I first got it...

I had setup speakers behind me close to where my head would rest when I'd sit down to play.  I got my first taste of cool music with this game...
IMG

Then came the clear voice in this game:
IMG
That awed me at first.

The game that sold me on the SNES:
IMG
Especially at that point where you're diving down to the planet and about to play the side scrolling section.  That whole segment gave me goosebumps!

The big distinctive moment for turbo gaming for me came from this area of Dracula X:
IMG

When I first played Dracula X, I was so hyped that at the start of the game I felt a little disappointed.  It was at the moment when I entered the castle, and the music played an all too familiar tune and the graphics really stood out for its time.

Tatsujin

Quote from: td741 on 06/29/2007, 10:43 AMI have spent lots of time listening to the music at these title screens on my C64:
IMG IMG
maaa bro!! :D i was listen (ehmm still i do) to this masterpiece from tel jeroen hours after hours.

here to remember:
http://hvsc.tp2.be/?path=C64Music/MUSICIANS/T/Tel_Jeroen/Turbo_Outrun_PSID.sid

Seldane

td741: Almost none of the pics you posted are working, it is not allowed to hotlink images from Mobygames.
Quote from: Seldane on 04/21/2007, 07:28 PMDVDs are for suckers. Illegally pirated and stolen videos all the way. No menus. No "DO NOT PIRATE THIS!" screens. No fuss. Only perfection. I honestly only pirate movies because that "don't pirate this" screen annoys me. :wink:
IMG

offsidewing

Phew, someone posted Pac-man and Contra title screen.  I don't have to unleash my "you're all uncultered wonders" comment.

Someone better throw the opening for Wolfenstein 3D up here soon!

Tatsujin

one of the coolest moments in game history as well is the "3 times boom-tshhh, stage clear" in GoT, after a bossfight. getting goose-skin every times i hear it :D

Keranu

Quote from: Seldane on 06/29/2007, 12:06 PMtd741: Almost none of the pics you posted are working, it is not allowed to hotlink images from Mobygames.
6 are working, 4 aren't. You loose  :mrgreen: .
Quote from: TurboXray on 01/02/2014, 09:21 PMAdding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).
IMG
Click the banner to learn more about Alex Chiu and his "immortality rings"

Seldane

IMG

nat

td741

Quote from: Tatsujin on 06/29/2007, 11:54 AMmaaa bro!! :D i was listen (ehmm still i do) to this masterpiece from tel jeroen hours after hours.

here to remember:
http://hvsc.tp2.be/?path=C64Music/MUSICIANS/T/Tel_Jeroen/Turbo_Outrun_PSID.sid
(Need to get a sid player...)

Yup, for some reason I would boot this one and RType just to see the title screen. :P

I would do the same to these games:
IMG
Turrican 2 on Amiga

And on PC *gasp*
IMG
Crusader: No Remorse

Ninja Spirit

The Altered Beast morphing scene. Gave me nightmares when I was little.

Quote from: elnino on 06/28/2007, 05:08 AMFFV, hardest feckin' boss I've ever seen in any game I've ever played! The first time, I walked through the last maze for about an hour just to get slashed down by this ass within minutes. When I finally thought I had beaten him, he transformed into NeoExDeath and sent 23456456 Meteo spells at my party within one turn! Of course I was going down again. It took me like 15 tries to beat him, I think I really learnt cussing thanks to him.
IMG
RPG final bosses that treat status ailments like toys definitely piss me off. Then we got Neo Exdeath's cheap descendant Necron (Final Fantasy IX)

IMG

What do they have in common? The attack that turns every players' world upside down: GRAND CROSS, which makes random status ailments, including the ones that are instantly fatal, such as stone. It's very discouraging when you spend more time curing than fighting, then he does another GC. It's like trying to build sandcastles during a hurricane.

Keranu

Quote from: TurboXray on 01/02/2014, 09:21 PMAdding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).
IMG

nat

I'm too lazy to go grab screen shots, but here's mine:

The year was 1989. I was an NES kid. The game? Super Mario Bros 2. I had already mastered Super Mario Bros 1 for the most part, found all the secrets, played the hell out of it, etc.

Mario 2 hit me like a brick in the face. This game was TOUGH in comparison! Things were different cuz I could actually choose who I wanted to be and I could pick up bad guys and throw them at other ones. The worlds were different and more varied. The whales in stage 4 kicked ass. In the early days I always played as the Princess because she could fly and I thought that was gnarly, dude. As I matured as a gamer I realized different characters were better suited to different levels and all that. I finally beat the game some years later. I played this game so much that nowadays I can literally play through the game on 1 credit and beat it with one hand behind my back and one eye closed.

To this day Super Mario Bros 2 remains one of my favorite games of all time, and most definitely my favorite Mario game. Most people will tell you in retrospect that Mario 3 was the better game, and there's no doubt nostalgia plays a big part in my feelings about it, but I believe 2 to be superior. That game made quite the impression on this young gamer.

Seldane

People tend to bad-mouth SMB2. I say they're crazy. It's a great game. Very different, but still great. I regard it as one of the finest platformers produced. I've never ever owned that game myself. I think it is time for that to change.
IMG

OldRover

That SMB2 story reminds me of a little event that happened with me once. A friend of mine insisted that SMB2 was unbeatable, because he'd never done it and none of his other friends could do it either. So I told him that I'd slaughter the game for his enjoyment. He was full of doubt but lo and behold, warp after warp, and then I was in the final areas...after I kicked Wart's ass all over the street, he was a believer. :D

SMB2 is great fun but it's just so different from the rest...but that's just because they took some other game and slapped Mario and his crew's silly faces into it rather than bringing us the REAL SMB2...that we didn't get till years later as "The Lost Levels".
Conquered so far: Sinistron, Violent Soldier, Tatsujin, Super Raiden, Shape Shifter, Rayxanber II

Seldane

I sure am glad they didn't release the "real" Mario 2 outside of Japan. Had they done that, who knows what bad things would've happened? No Mario 3? No Mario World? I'm afraid to even think about it! :P
IMG

nat

Quote from: Nödtveidt on 06/29/2007, 08:01 PMThat SMB2 story reminds me of a little event that happened with me once. A friend of mine insisted that SMB2 was unbeatable, because he'd never done it and none of his other friends could do it either. So I told him that I'd slaughter the game for his enjoyment. He was full of doubt but lo and behold, warp after warp, and then I was in the final areas...after I kicked Wart's ass all over the street, he was a believer. :D
Awww, that's the easy way.  :wink: Although figuring out where the warps were was lots of fun as a kid... And it helped me reach later worlds before I was actually ready to endure them. I remember I had found the warp to world 4 before I could even beat Mouser.

Wart is actually kind of a pansy-- it's the journey to reach him that's tough. Once you eventually get to him, his ass is grass.

Now though, I can fucking own those stages.. The only one that still comes remotely close to giving me the shits is 7-2.

At one point I compiled a list of the best character to play as for every single stage.

QuoteSMB2 is great fun but it's just so different from the rest...but that's just because they took some other game and slapped Mario and his crew's silly faces into it rather than bringing us the REAL SMB2...that we didn't get till years later as "The Lost Levels".
I didn't know until maybe 10 years later (or at least well after the invention of the WWW) that Mario 2 didn't start life as a Mario game, and my young ignorance was bliss. SMB2 is brilliant. It's differences are it's strengths.

Quote from: Seldane on 06/29/2007, 08:04 PMI sure am glad they didn't release the "real" Mario 2 outside of Japan. Had they done that, who knows what bad things would've happened? No Mario 3? No Mario World? I'm afraid to even think about it! :P
You and me both. Mario 3 draws at least a few gameplay dynamics from SMB2 in the carrying and throwing of things like blocks and turtle shells... And Bob-Ombs. Without SMB2 we wouldn't have Bob-Ombs!

The Japanese SMB2 should have been a second "loop" through of the first game you had to play after beating it initially. As a sequel it blows. If I was Japanese and that's the game I got I would have been pissed. Someone at Nintendo of Japan went hog-wild with a SMB level editor one night and released his work as a sequel. Lazy bastards.

Quote from: Seldane on 06/29/2007, 06:09 PMPeople tend to bad-mouth SMB2. I say they're crazy. It's a great game. Very different, but still great. I regard it as one of the finest platformers produced. I've never ever owned that game myself. I think it is time for that to change.
A brilliant choice! Make sure you get the original NES/Famicom version as opposed to the SNES and GBA "remastered" versions. Although those are cool too, but nothing beats the original.

Tatsujin

Quote from: elnino on 06/28/2007, 05:08 AMFFV, hardest feckin' boss I've ever seen in any game I've ever played!
RPG bosses aren't hard, they're exhausting! :P

Seldane

Quote from: nat on 06/29/2007, 08:35 PMIf I was Japanese and that's the game I got I would have been pissed.
Well, they actually got two Mario games over there. First they got the real SMB2, and shortly thereafter they got Super Mario USA, which is "our" SMB2. They also got the original Doki Doki Panic Dream Factory of course, but only as a Famicom Disk System game.
IMG

CrackTiger

My hometown got the real SMB2 as well as a ton of other Famicom carts at the local rental store and we loved it.

We also got to play SMB3 for up to a year before the movie The Wizard.

When we watched the movie at the local theatre, we were shouting to the differently enabled kid how to do all the super secrets that he used magical savant powers to discover.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

nat

Quote from: guest on 06/29/2007, 10:19 PMMy hometown got the real SMB2 as well as a ton of other Famicom carts at the local rental store and we loved it.
I thought the "real" SMB2 was a FDS game? Did they make carts of it, too?

runinruder

I've never liked SMB or SMB3, but for whatever reason, SMB2 really struck a chord with me when I was a kid, and I played it constantly for a time.  The infatuation was short-lived, and when I played through the GBA version a few years back I didn't enjoy it very much, but I don't enjoy most NES-era games anymore.  And I still hold it in much higher regard than I do parts 1 and 3.
Wayback - thebrothersduomazov.com - Reviews of over 400 TurboGrafx-16/PC-Engine games

OldRover

Quote from: nat on 06/29/2007, 08:35 PMAwww, that's the easy way.  :wink:
Well, the whole point was to prove that the game was beatable, not that I could conquer every level (which I could have but it would have taken all night to accomplish).

ParanoiaDragon

I still think it deserves a direct sequal!  Princess Peach for DS, is kindof similar, but, not really what I'm looking for for a sequal to SMB2!
IMG

Keranu

I love Super Mario Bros 2 (USA ALL THE WAY!), one of my favorites in the series if not my favorite.
IMG

CrackTiger

Quote from: nat on 06/29/2007, 11:15 PM
Quote from: CrackTiger on 06/29/2007, 10:19 PMMy hometown got the real SMB2 as well as a ton of other Famicom carts at the local rental store and we loved it.
I don't know if any SMB2 carts were ever released officially, but like many other FDS games there are carts out there.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

TR0N

Quote from: nat on 06/29/2007, 11:15 PM
Quote from: guest on 06/29/2007, 10:19 PMMy hometown got the real SMB2 as well as a ton of other Famicom carts at the local rental store and we loved it.
Officialy FDS and on the GBA as well.

There are bootlegs of it though on cart for the famicom.
IMG
PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

Ninja Spirit

And on Super Mario All Stars for SNES as "The Lost Levels"

nat

Quote from: Tone on 06/30/2007, 09:51 AMAnd on Super Mario All Stars for SNES as "The Lost Levels"
Yeah, I've got that version.

But I want to get a Famicom "original" version. Maybe I'll try to find one of those "unofficial" carts. Since I'll never own a Disk System, it's my only option really.

bust3dstr8

IMG

The first time I played this level the music started and got my heart pumpin' up, then I was mesmorized by the hi speed scrolling and the animated background.
IMG

The first game [Tron: Maze-A-Tron (Intellivision/Mattel)] i really got into the story.
Maze_A_Tron_Screen_1.jpg
This scene is still stuck in my head:
lost: /matteltronmazeatronan2.jpg

Probably my favorite movie as a kid when I saw this cover in Bradlees i nagged my mother to buy it for a half hour. Got it for Christmas
IMG
:shock: First time i saw this pulled off.
Clowns Suck
IMG IMG

CrackTiger

I'll never forget the first time I booted up Virtua Fighter 2 on Saturn with a friend over. I had to special order it in my small hometown. We immediately started a VS match and it was on Sarah's stage. The combination of solid smooth graphics with a high resolution was one of the biggest wow moments I experienced during the 32-bit days.

The first time I started Tengai Makyou IV on Saturn, when the intro fmv came up, for a few seconds I thought that I had accidentally started my VCR with an anime tape in it or something, before realizing that it really was the actual game.

One of the biggest wow moments for me was the first time I saw the cinemas of Golden Axe running on the demo TG-CD at a local store. It killed me to wait even another day to get my first TG-CD after that. This was after I had already saved up for one and gotten ripped off by a store advertising in EGM.