Admit it... You're playing Pokemon Go.

Started by TheClash603, 07/09/2016, 01:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bob

not playing, but i am going to be fascinated over the promotions people are going to offer.

TDIRunner

I have no interest in the game itself, but I've been enjoying the memes that it's been generating.

Also, I can't help but think that this game will contribute to a few Darwin awards this year.
Maybe, just once, someone will call me "sir" without adding, "you're making a scene."

CGQuarterly

Holy shit.  Today is my first day back at work since the game came out.  The number of kids walking around the campus with their face buried in their phone is nuts (moreso than usual.)  I went off to a quiet part of our arboretum, well away from any campus buildings, to make a phone call because I wanted some privacy and I would say that at least 10 people walked past me looking for pokemons on their phone.  Jesus I hope this is a fad.

jtucci31

Damn that sucks. I'm sooo excited to go back to campus in August now  :roll:

TR0N

IMG
PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

BigusSchmuck

Quote from: CGQuarterly on 07/11/2016, 04:50 PMHoly shit.  Today is my first day back at work since the game came out.  The number of kids walking around the campus with their face buried in their phone is nuts (moreso than usual.)  I went off to a quiet part of our arboretum, well away from any campus buildings, to make a phone call because I wanted some privacy and I would say that at least 10 people walked past me looking for pokemons on their phone.  Jesus I hope this is a fad.
I hope so too, getting tired of the interns at work asking for the damn wifi password so they can eat up corporate bandwith to play this game. Seriously.

SuperGrafx

I must be the only person on this forum who has NEVER once played any POKEMON game.
Never saw the appeal.

CGQuarterly

Quote from: SuperGrafx on 07/11/2016, 08:21 PMI must be the only person on this forum who has NEVER once played any POKEMON game.
No, I've never played one either.

OldMan

Me neither. Though I have watched the kids play.

poponon

I think I was 8 or 9 when pokemon first came out, and it was huge. every kid was playing it nonstop at school both in class and at recess. I haven't been able to get into any of the entries past the first, but pokemon go seems pretty neat. I'd like to try it out but it's not out in Canada yet and I dont think it'll run on my phone.

johnnykonami

I think I have sort of a reputation about being into Game Boy games here, but Pokemon came out much later in the GB's life and seemed like it was targeted a younger generation then what I was playing.  I find alot of RPGs grindy and dull, too.  I did however come into possession of Pokemon Blue, Crystal, and the Trading Card Game by getting a bunch of carts at once one day, I am thinking they might be good trading fodder with the popularity of the series and all.  Out of the three, only the TCG interests me because I played the hell out of Card Fighters Clash on the Neo Pocket bitd (still have my copy, wish my NGPC was backlit though), but the theme doesn't grab me as much.  So anyway if anyone would be interested in trading for any of those, feel free to PM.  I was very entertained by someone finding a corpse with P: Go last week though.

esteban

Quote from: SuperGrafx on 07/11/2016, 08:21 PMI must be the only person on this forum who has NEVER once played any POKEMON game.
Never saw the appeal.
Comrade, so many folks have posted in this thread stating that they have *never* played a Pokemon game.

I have never played one. Never will.

I was too old when it came out.
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

BigusSchmuck

I think the only Pokemon clone I played was Dragon Quest Monsters. If they had a Dragon Quest Monsters Go, I would play the shit out it just because its Dragon Quest. :P

CGQuarterly

Quote from: esteban on 07/11/2016, 10:55 PM
Never saw the appeal.
Comrade, so many folks have posted in this thread stating that they have *never* played a Pokemon game.
I definitely got the impression from his post that he read the first three replies in this thread and then decided to chime in.

TheClash603

ClodBusted

When Pokémon red/blue came out in Europe in late 1999, I was 15 years old and buddies at my school would kill me for still playing GameBoy in the public, and even more so playing a kiddie cartoon game instead of Half Life.

Still, me and my brother got Yellow and Gold later on. And especially Gold got me hooked hard, up to the point where I trained two teams of level 100 Pokémon (no rarecandies involved, since they weaken the stats) and had a Pokédex of 250...the only one missing was Mew.

Too bad there were only a few people at my age playing that game, so there was little chance for link cable fights and trading.

When the GBA Pokémon games came out, I already lost interest.

To me, the gold standard for Pokémon games will always be... Gold.

EDIT: I just had a look at my old cartridges last year, apparently the savefile got lost when the internal battery died. So long, those hundreds of hours playtime.

xcrement5x

Quote from: guest on 07/12/2016, 03:53 AMWhen Pokémon red/blue came out in Europe in late 1999, I was 15 years old and buddies at my school would kill me for still playing GameBoy in the public, and even more so playing a kiddie cartoon game instead of Half Life.

Still, me and my brother got Yellow and Gold later on. And especially Gold got me hooked hard, up to the point where I trained two teams of level 100 Pokémon (no rarecandies involved, since they weaken the stats) and had a Pokédex of 250...the only one missing was Mew.

Too bad there were only a few people at my age playing that game, so there was little chance for link cable fights and trading.

When the GBA Pokémon games came out, I already lost interest.

To me, the gold standard for Pokémon games will always be... Gold.

EDIT: I just had a look at my old cartridges last year, apparently the savefile got lost when the internal battery died. So long, those hundreds of hours playtime.
Damn, the pain.  I used to replace batteries for people locally and backup save files.  You're not the only one with a love for your old team, trust me.
Demented Clone Warrior Consensus: "My pirated forum clone is superior/more "moral" than yours, neener neener neener..."  ](*,)

bob

esteban

Quote from: gynt on 07/12/2016, 12:49 PM
Quote from: TheClash603 on 07/12/2016, 03:14 AMI've caught them all.
thread is about pokemon, not STDs.
I think my OCD would make Pokemon irresistible (meaning, I would be compelled to collect them all).

My fear of certain addictions has kept me away from Pokemon, Magic The Collecting, Methamphetamines, Huffing Glue, Postage Stamps, Amiibos, "American Chopper" -branded Lego sets, baseball cards, comics, M.U.S.C.L.E., Sega-CD, XaviX, Laserdisc editions of films starring Christopher Lambert, N64, and Beanie Babies.

geise

Quote from: BigusSchmuck on 07/11/2016, 08:20 PM
Quote from: CGQuarterly on 07/11/2016, 04:50 PMHoly shit.  Today is my first day back at work since the game came out.  The number of kids walking around the campus with their face buried in their phone is nuts (moreso than usual.)  I went off to a quiet part of our arboretum, well away from any campus buildings, to make a phone call because I wanted some privacy and I would say that at least 10 people walked past me looking for pokemons on their phone.  Jesus I hope this is a fad.
I hope so too, getting tired of the interns at work asking for the damn wifi password so they can eat up corporate bandwith to play this game. Seriously.
Why do they need wifi when it uses your gps?

BigusSchmuck

Quote from: geise on 07/12/2016, 01:12 PM
Quote from: BigusSchmuck on 07/11/2016, 08:20 PM
Why do they need wifi when it uses your gps?
It's a stupid excuse to use the wifi here at work. Pretty dumb really.
And now there are fucking pokemon on the bathrooms. Wow.
IMG

Dicer

NightWolve

I don't know what is Pokemon Go, wasn't sure I wanted to, but fortunately The Onion has provided some answers to this question for us ignoranuses.

http://www.theonion.com/graphic/what-pokemon-go-53204
QuoteIMG

Since its debut last Thursday, the augmented-reality smartphone app Pokémon Go has been downloaded millions of times and has grown publisher Nintendo's stock by 25 percent. The Onion answers some common questions about the game and its unprecedented success.

Q: What is the object of Pokémon Go?
A: To collect as much personal data for Nintendo as possible

Q: Where can you play Pokémon Go?
A: In any society in which the problems of day-to-day survival have been adequately solved to allow the concept of unfocused activity, or "leisure," to develop

Q: What are Pokémon?
A: This is not for you

Q: How do you catch a Pokémon?
A: Spend months building a personal connection before luring it away from its family

Q: What happens after I capture a Pokémon?
A: The Pokémon will emit a deep, mournful moan as it begins to experience an overwhelming longing for freedom

Q: Can you shoot the Pokémon?
A: No

Q: How do you beat the game?
A: The game is won when you have completed all in-app purchases

Q: Where can I catch Onix?
A: Onix can only be found in the Caspian Sea off the coast of Turkmenistan, at coordinates 39°32'48.7"N 51°49'04.1"E

Q: How many Pokémon are there?
A: 151, according to the most recent numbers out of the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service

Q: Is it a better deal to buy 2,500 Pokécoins for $19.99 or 5,200 Pokécoins for $39.99?
A: The DSM-5 classifies internet gaming disorder as a compulsive use of video games that leads to significant issues functioning in society, damage to one's personal life, and acute withdrawal when separated from the game in question.

Q: Who owns Pokémon Go?
A: Pokémon Go is jointly owned by Nintendo and the remaining descendants of Pikachu

Q: Should I worry about the amount of information that I will expose about myself by using the app?
A: It's never stopped you before

Q: Is some part of this game's popularity among adults deeply, indescribably sad?
A: Yes

esteban

BigusSchmuck

bob

NecroPhile

Ha!  100% chance of pokey man fever in the news studio.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

jtucci31

Quote from: NightWolve on 07/12/2016, 11:29 PMQ: Should I worry about the amount of information that I will expose about myself by using the app?
That was my favorite :)

esteban

Quote from: gynt on 07/13/2016, 04:45 PM
Quote from: BigusSchmuck on 07/13/2016, 04:40 PMThis is hysterical, some newscaster walking by the weatherman playing Pokemon Go. http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2016-07-13/news-anchor-accidentally-disrupts-weather-forecast-while-playing-pokmon-go
These are the type of stories I love about this whole thing.
Agreed!

Quote from: guest on 07/13/2016, 05:29 PM
Quote from: NightWolve on 07/12/2016, 11:29 PMQ: Should I worry about the amount of information that I will expose about myself by using the app?
That was my favorite :)
:)

BigusSchmuck

OldRover

I'll admit that I did actually install the app today, as I was promised Satanic powers by Rick Wiles. I did it while in a Chinese buffet, and found a Bulbasaur. I made sure to catch it before it was put into the General Tso's Chicken dish. Sadly, I have not been able to utilize the infernal powers since then. I am so disappoint.
Turbo Badass Rank: Janne (6 of 12 clears)
Conquered so far: Sinistron, Violent Soldier, Tatsujin, Super Raiden, Shape Shifter, Rayxanber II

poponon

Quote from: BigusSchmuck on 07/11/2016, 11:32 PMI think the only Pokemon clone I played was Dragon Quest Monsters. If they had a Dragon Quest Monsters Go, I would play the shit out it just because its Dragon Quest. :P
that'd be too good

TheClash603

Quote from: gynt on 07/12/2016, 12:49 PM
Quote from: TheClash603 on 07/12/2016, 03:14 AMI've caught them all.
thread is about pokemon, not STDs.
When you have addiction, you catch all sorts of things.  I've only joined this forum because I know it's the last place on the Internet my gf will look for me.

Though it appears I am the only person on here actually trying this game...  Maybe my lack of social media profiles has allowed me to enjoy it more, I cringe whenever I hear something is trending.

Psycho Punch

LOL if nintendo doesn't fuck this up completely they have a fucking goldmine in their hands. That's a very good revitalization of the Pokémon IP, they just need to be smart about it.
This Toxic Turbo Turd/Troll & Clone Warrior calls himself "Burning Fight!!" on Neo-Geo.com
For a good time, reach out to: aleffrenan94@gmail.com or punchballmariobros@gmail.com
Like DildoKobold, dildos are provided free of charge, no need to bring your own! :lol:
He also ran scripts to steal/clone this forum which blew up the error logs! I had to delete THOUSANDS of errors cause of this nutcase!
how_to_spell_ys_sign_origin_ver.webp

TR0N

IMG
PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

esteban

xcrement5x

Man, you can tell Japan hates Korea now :O
Demented Clone Warrior Consensus: "My pirated forum clone is superior/more "moral" than yours, neener neener neener..."  ](*,)

Psycho Punch

This Toxic Turbo Turd/Troll & Clone Warrior calls himself "Burning Fight!!" on Neo-Geo.com
For a good time, reach out to: aleffrenan94@gmail.com or punchballmariobros@gmail.com
Like DildoKobold, dildos are provided free of charge, no need to bring your own! :lol:
He also ran scripts to steal/clone this forum which blew up the error logs! I had to delete THOUSANDS of errors cause of this nutcase!

NightWolve

I'll have to try it some time, don't wanna feel left out from this Pokemon hunting craze. :)

wildfruit

I gave in and tried it. Got bored in 2 days though. Either I'm doing it wrong or there really isn't much to it.

esteban

Quote from: wildfruit on 07/16/2016, 04:42 AMI gave in and tried it. Got bored in 2 days though. Either I'm doing it wrong or there really isn't much to it.
I think it is more fun if you live in a city (easy to visit new places) or when traveling.

For the past week, every time I bring my family to a new location, my daughter and her friends are fully-engrossed in their phones.

They are searching for any new developments in Pokemon AHOY!

...and I was so happy when SQUIRTLE appeared at the lighthouse/beach, since I had been joking about that ridiculous name for years ("Take a SQUIRTLE in the restroom before we go in the car.")

bartre

I'm not playing, so this is all an outsider's viewpoint.
about 1/2 of my coworkers are into it, and holy shit are they in it deep.
2 hour walks after the shift is over (I work in a bar, so they've already been running around 8+ hours)
that just seems insane to me.

additionally, the local facebook pokemon go group had a meetup at the bar I work at tonight.
The final count of people that showed up (not all at once) was 570-ish.
fire code allows us 240.
we totally did not follow fire code.
the best part? no one really talked to each other, all faces were buried in phones.

Psycho Punch

Quote from: bartre on 07/16/2016, 07:15 AMI'm not playing, so this is all an outsider's viewpoint.
2 hour walks after the shift is over (I work in a bar, so they've already been running around 8+ hours)
Their wives aren't seeing any pokéballs at night thats for sure.

TheClash603

Quote from: guest on 07/16/2016, 11:58 AM
Quote from: bartre on 07/16/2016, 07:15 AMI'm not playing, so this is all an outsider's viewpoint.
After my gf and I had a nice romantic walk by the waterfront last weekend surrounded by 1000 other poke hunters, we got home and I gave her the poke balls.  I think this game is a bonding too / aphrodisiac.

BigusSchmuck

bartre

Quote from: guest on 07/16/2016, 11:58 AM
none of the ones playing are married.
They're all filthy hipsters.

Flare65

Quote from: gynt on 07/09/2016, 04:50 PMi have never played a poke game.  not gonna start now.
Ditto.  Guess I'm getting old, but isn't that game for little kids?

spenoza

Quote from: Flare65 on 07/16/2016, 08:10 PM
Quote from: gynt on 07/09/2016, 04:50 PMi have never played a poke game.  not gonna start now.
Ditto.  Guess I'm getting old, but isn't that game for little kids?
Not the newest one. There are no RPG components. No conversing with brain-dead NPCs. Just wandering around on a real-world map, in real life, collecting Pokemon. In fact, the only battling in the game is for territory control (controlling Gyms). So in a way, this is a collecting and territory control game. Certainly not child-unfriendly, but not child-only, either.

bob

i bet PikachuWarrior is kicking ass and taking names.

synbiosfan

As I walk my dog I see so many people strolling around looking at their phones. A lot of car horns blowing too.