@GTV reviews the Cosmic Fantasy 1-2 Switch collection by Edia, provides examples of the poor English editing/localization work. It's much worse for CF1. Rated "D" for disappointment, finding that TurboGrafx CF2 is better & while CF1's the real draw, Edia screwed it up...
Main Menu

Lightning Strikes... the PC-Engine?! (Thunder Force IV Chiptune Cover)

Started by FraGMarE, 01/19/2017, 10:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FraGMarE

Thunder Force IV Lightning Strikes Again Thunder Force V - Duel Of Top done on the PC-Engine.  Fuck you.  :)

Gredler

Quote from: fragmare on 01/19/2017, 10:33 PMThunder Force IV Lightning Strikes Again done on the PC-Engine.  Fuck you.  :)
You had me at Lightening.

This is great :)

Thunderforce 4  is one of the few game's sound tracks that I will listen to when I want to get fucking amped.

GET FUCKING AMPED.

elmer

:shock:

:D  :dance:  =D>

How on earth are you getting that sound???

Please tell me that it's still deflemask, so that I can *hope* to reproduce it on real hardware!!!

That lead is great ... I'm *guessing* (in my musical ignorance), that it's 2-or-more channels with an octave offset + a detune.

However you've managed it ... the FM-style lead is great! And the bass is amazing.

Even though I'd prefer not to use it too much ... the 16KHz sampling is perfectly-fine to use in-game, and I'd love to hear what the track sounds like with 16KHz samples.

I'm probably greedy, but I also hope that you try out Michirin9801's PSG+noise style drums sometime, especially once we've got the wave-macro switching between wavetables/noise on any 1/60s.

But whatever ...  :shock:  =D>

DildoKKKobold

For a good time, email: kylethomson@gmail.com
Dildos provided free of charge, no need to bring your own! :lol:
DoxPhile .com / chat
IMG

FraGMarE

Quote from: elmer on 01/19/2017, 11:33 PM:shock:

Please tell me that it's still deflemask, so that I can *hope* to reproduce it on real hardware!!!

That lead is great ... I'm *guessing* (in my musical ignorance), that it's 2-or-more channels with an octave offset + a detune.

However you've managed it ... the FM-style lead is great! And the bass is amazing.

Even though I'd prefer not to use it too much ... the 16KHz sampling is perfectly-fine to use in-game, and I'd love to hear what the track sounds like with 16KHz samples.

I'm probably greedy, but I also hope that you try out Michirin9801's PSG+noise style drums sometime, especially once we've got the wave-macro switching between wavetables/noise on any 1/60s.

Thanks!  It's dark magic.  ;)  Seriously, it took some work to get them sounding all FM synth-ey.  The original track used like 5 guitars ; 1 bass, 2 leads, and 2 backup guitars.  they all play off each other and strike chords and whatnot.  That part, I didn't do... that's just how the music is composed.  But for getting that FM-ey sound, I used some simple math and lots of the [04xy] bit, and some crazy looking waveforms.  I'd still like to go back and try to get the guitars to sound dirtier/grittier.  Maybe I'll come back to it later.

And, yes, it's all Deflemask.  There shouldn't be any problem running this on real hardware.  It's intro/title screen music, so I'm not even going to bother making a 5 channel version.  There are only three percussion samples at 32KHz, but they sound just great at 8KHz or even 7KHz  :)

I can post links to the DMF/HES files, if you want.  Or you can just grab them off the Deflemask forums.  I posted the most recent iterations on there.

Quote from: guest on 01/20/2017, 01:33 AMDang, I was really hoping it was going to be Metal Squad!
I was going to do Metal Squad or perhaps Stand Up Against Myself, but I wanted to "warm up" first before I dive into something like that... Takeshi Yoshida is a god damn maniac haha.  Even this little intro diddy is amazingly complex.

P.S. The boss music, Simmer Down is highly underrated.  ;)

Arkhan Asylum

What lead? the chuggy thrash riff? 

I'm sorry, that's not a lead, lol.   That's rhythm guitar.

in any event if you use two channels, that sort of sound is a little easy to get.

It uses the same kind of principal that metal bands used to do on records.   Metallica laid the same guitar track down twice (played twice).   So you get almost the same riff, layered upon itself, and it makes it thicker with little effort.  :)

That's what this sounds like.   How many channels did you use for the guitar riff?    There's a few waveforms in Squirrel (the ones I call Gorgle) that do this sort of thing. 

Slight detuning and delaying one of the layers slightly would also likely do wonders with little effort.
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

ccovell

Everything but the lead sounds great -- good bass.  The phasing on the lead is nice, but it does need a lot more grittiness (if at all possible.)

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: ccovell on 01/20/2017, 07:50 AMEverything but the lead sounds great -- good bass.  The phasing on the lead is nice, but it does need a lot more grittiness (if at all possible.)
I've never tried it, but now I am curious, I wonder what would happen if you paired it with a quieter noise riff to help push it towards the sort of noisy, distorted sound it's trying to do be.

This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

FraGMarE

Okay guys, how's this?  I went back and modified a few things.  Should be a bit more gritty and growly at the beginning.  Same link as before.See?  This is why i wanted to warm up with a short little TFIV diddy before attempting something bigger.  I knew it was going to be hard to get to sound right.  I can't be having Metal Squad or whatever sounding like Steely Dan haha

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: fragmare on 01/20/2017, 12:38 PMOkay guys, how's this?  I went back and modified a few things.  Should be a bit more gritty and growly at the beginning.  Same link as before.

https://soundcloud.com/user-716572978/tfiv-lsa-pc-engine-chiptune-cover

See?  This is why i wanted to warm up with a short little TFIV diddy before attempting something bigger.  I knew it was going to be hard to get to sound right.  I can't be having Metal Squad or whatever sounding like Steely Dan haha
It's doing the same thing I ran into with Atlantean, where it sounds gritty to the point where it then sounds muddy once the other stuff comes in.  It sounds good until the 0:17 mark basically, to me.

You have to like, envelope the sound so it filters it a bit.

Are you using multiple channels to create a doubling effect?   I would pan one a little left and one a little right.

touko

Gredler

Quote from: touko on 01/20/2017, 01:41 PMgreat tune fragmare .  :shock:

i like this one too (very demo like and interesting sound)
Thanks for sharing! Wow there are a lot of musicians suddenly, 2017 kicks ass so far!

touko

Yes i have the same feeling .

And the cherry on the cake,in 2017 arkhan is doing musics on deflemask   :mrgreen:

elmer

Quote from: touko on 01/20/2017, 01:41 PMgreat tune fragmare .  :shock:

i like this one too (very demo like and interesting sound)
Very Amiga-like, with lots of samples ...

Sample  1 : NTSC loopbasup.wav
Size      - 83148 samples
Rate      - 22050 Hz

Sample  2 : NTSCloopbasdown.wav
Size      - 83230 samples
Rate      - 22050 Hz

Sample  3 : snarelong.wav
Size      - 21145 samples
Rate      - 22050 Hz

Sample  4 : 47741__wimwam__clap1.wav
Size      - 12536 samples
Rate      - 16000 Hz

Sample  5 : NTSCloopbas.wav
Size      - 82252 samples
Rate      - 22050 Hz

Sample  6 : NTSCloopbasB3.wav
Size      - 82961 samples
Rate      - 22050 Hz

Sample  7 : 0n0  loopbasG#3.wav
Size      - 83376 samples
Rate      - 22050 Hz

Sample  8 : NTSCloopbasF#.wav
Size      - 82487 samples
Rate      - 22050 Hz

Sample  9 : 191600__nabz871__kick-drum-hard-1.wav
Size      - 24462 samples
Rate      - 22050 Hz

Sample 10 : Dance Snare.WAV
Size      - 14138 samples
Rate      - 22050 Hz

Sample 11 : reversecymbal.wav
Size      - 66150 samples
Rate      - 22050 Hz

Sample 12 : Cymbal02.wav
Size      - 78704 samples
Rate      - 32000 Hz

Sample 13 : c64tomC#.wav
Size      -  3088 samples
Rate      - 32000 Hz

Sample 14 : c64tom.wav
Size      -  7042 samples
Rate      - 22050 Hz[/tt]

touko

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: touko on 01/20/2017, 02:35 PMAnd the cherry on the cake,in 2017 arkhan is doing musics on deflemask   :mrgreen:
Nope.  I'm not going to waste my time trying to compose music in a tracker.   If Doofymask lets you stick a MIDI in it, maybe I'll move a composition there from elsewhere.

Composing music in a tracker is painful. 

Joe Redifer

I've never heard the Turbo/PCE do drums like that before, with so much bass. Usually they're pretty thin.

FraGMarE

Quote from: guest on 01/20/2017, 12:49 PM
Quote from: fragmare on 01/20/2017, 12:38 PMOkay guys, how's this?  I went back and modified a few things.  Should be a bit more gritty and growly at the beginning.  Same link as before.See?  This is why i wanted to warm up with a short little TFIV diddy before attempting something bigger.  I knew it was going to be hard to get to sound right.  I can't be having Metal Squad or whatever sounding like Steely Dan haha
It's doing the same thing I ran into with Atlantean, where it sounds gritty to the point where it then sounds muddy once the other stuff comes in.  It sounds good until the 0:17 mark basically, to me.

You have to like, envelope the sound so it filters it a bit.

Are you using multiple channels to create a doubling effect?   I would pan one a little left and one a little right.
Yea, I made another minor update.  That's about as gritty as I could get it and maintain decent stereo separation later in the song.  It's not just multiple channels.  I mean, there are multiple channels basically playing variations of the same thing... hell, 5/6 channels are all guitar most of the time.  I don't even know which ones are supposed to be the leads and what to call to call the other two that aren't the bass guitar.  I just tried to copy the notes/timing exactly from the original music and worry about getting the precise sound i wanted later.

To get the gravelly sound, I basically took one of the guitar channels (one with virtually no decay) and adjusted the arpeggio macro down an octave.  It kind of gives the two other plucky guitars something to overlay.  I've also got some moderately tricky stuff going on with the vibrato/pitch-slide effects to get a phasey type sound... no note offsets needed.  like the two plucky guitar channels both have a slight downard pitch slide, but the other guitars do not.  also, i have the vibrato effects set up differently for each guitar, so the frequencies play off each other and create that phasey/reverby sound.  in addition to that, one channel will ONLY vibrato up, while the another will ONLY vibrato down, while another vibrato both up AND down.  i got kind of creative haha

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 01/20/2017, 05:37 PMI've never heard the Turbo/PCE do drums like that before, with so much bass. Usually they're pretty thin.
I know, I was quite pleased with how the percussion turned out!  Very bassy and hard hitting.  Only three samples too!  And they sound virtually the same at 7-8KHz, which would be the sample rate you'd likely hear in a game.

It's interesting that the Genesis never even touches the DAC or the PCM channels for this track.  All the percussion is done by FM channel1 with three instruments.

Arkhan Asylum

Yeah. getting super thick, gritty stuff on PCE isn't so easy.  Even Devil's Crush doesn't really do it despite being probably the most metal chiptune stuff the machine has ever seen.   

I'm wondering what it would sound like if the bass guitar was less gritty/distorted, and just more plucked and bassy (A sine wave with a plucky envelope). 

It might give the guitar riff more body without contributing to the distortion.   I'd also be curious if you dropped the guitars an octave in general.

Technically, the guitar is "the lead" since that's all there is, but from a musical standpoint, it's basically just a rhythm riff minus the bit at the end.   That's why I don't really call it a lead.   Lead is what happens in Metal Squad on top of the crap you're trying to figure out now, lol.

FM is great at getting dirgy sounds, and thick percussion without samples since it tends to get thick sounds with barely any effort.   

EvilEvoIX

Very cool I love hearing this pump out on my Model 1.  Such great music.
IMGIMGIMG
Quote from: PCEngineHellI already dropped him a message on there and he did not reply back, so fuck him, and his cunt wife.

FraGMarE

Quote from: guest on 01/20/2017, 10:14 PMYeah. getting super thick, gritty stuff on PCE isn't so easy.  Even Devil's Crush doesn't really do it despite being probably the most metal chiptune stuff the machine has ever seen.   

I'm wondering what it would sound like if the bass guitar was less gritty/distorted, and just more plucked and bassy (A sine wave with a plucky envelope). 

It might give the guitar riff more body without contributing to the distortion.   I'd also be curious if you dropped the guitars an octave in general.

Technically, the guitar is "the lead" since that's all there is, but from a musical standpoint, it's basically just a rhythm riff minus the bit at the end.   That's why I don't really call it a lead.   Lead is what happens in Metal Squad on top of the crap you're trying to figure out now, lol.

FM is great at getting dirgy sounds, and thick percussion without samples since it tends to get thick sounds with barely any effort.   
I dunno man, Toshiaki Sakoda pretty much nailed the TG-16 Devil's Crush OST, imo.  I prefer it over Technosoft's Genesis version OST, which is saying something, because Technosoft were a bunch of chipmusic gods themselves.

I'm gonna keep screwing around with this.  I'll try what you said and whatever else comes to mind.  Maybe I'll stumble across a way to get that grindy sound.  The noise thing sounds promising, if it were mixed right... maybe the guitar riff could start out strong then fade, at the same time the noise riff is starting out quiet and fading in

Perhaps Michirin has come across some really gritty sounding PCE "guitar" in his chiptune travels?

Gredler

Michirin9801

It sounds amazing mate ^^
Quote from: fragmare on 01/21/2017, 11:39 AMPerhaps Michirin has come across some really gritty sounding PCE "guitar" in her chiptune travels?
Yeah I did, In fact, I was just about to recommend you a couple of waveforms you could use for your guitar, like this one from Xanadu 2:
15 00 10 31 00 31 31 31 09 00 31 15 31 21 31 31 00 00 31 31 31 11 31 31 00 31 01 20 31 31 31 31

Or this one that I've made myself:
28 22 19 24 30 24 01 17 15 09 02 01 03 06 00 05 25 28 30 28 20 00 12 27 29 21 04 02 13 25 04 03

Also, I'd have answered sooner, but I was too busy playing Dragon Quest VIII on my 3DS >w>
Such a great game!

Arkhan Asylum

Devil's Crush on PCE has a great soundtrack, but the guitars really aren't that thick.   It's just one of those other things that PCE doesn't do.   It does *fantastic* guitar leads (Devil's Crush and Xanadu 2), but the dirgy rhythm stuff just gets lost in the shuffle or sounds like sampled midi guitars, lol.

They don't sound very guitar like, and lack that low end, ballsy, chugchugchug sound. 

ccovell

Quote from: guest on 01/21/2017, 06:34 PMDevil's Crush on PCE has a great soundtrack, but the guitars really aren't that thick.   
They don't sound very guitar like, and lack that low end, ballsy, chugchugchug sound.
Yes, true, but the other sound channels' growling & phasing help boost the "guitars" in Devil's Crush.

Arkhan Asylum

yeah.  I mean I think what really helps the song sound like a guitar is the fact that the leads are clearly just 80s metal solos, so your brain just kinda goes "yeah that's a guitar".

What the PCE doesn't seem to do well for anything attempting to be a power chord, is the chuggy low end part.
That chugging note used as a pivot point and main down picked riff is something I wish PCE could do well.

lol, I mean it's basically this riff:

touko

Michirin9801

FraGMarE

Quote from: elmer on 01/19/2017, 11:33 PM:shock:

What's that you say?  PSG drums?  I just got done trying my hand at making some from scratch, and they turned out pretty nice.  I might need them for this new chiptune i'm working on, so I decided to stop and go make some all-purpose PSG percussion.  I just arranged it into a little drum tune to make it easier on the ears while i test it out.  The tom turned out excellent, I think!  :)

Michirin9801

Quote from: fragmare on 01/29/2017, 09:07 AMWhat's that you say?  PSG drums?  I just got done trying my hand at making some from scratch, and they turned out pretty nice.  I might need them for this new chiptune i'm working on, so I decided to stop and go make some all-purpose PSG percussion.  I just arranged it into a little drum tune to make it easier on the ears while i test it out.  The tom turned out excellent, I think!  :)
These are allright, but I think you should try a different snare, using just noise for the snare makes them a little underwhelming... Try having a higher-pitched kick in the very beginning of the snare instrument and then switch to noise in the very next row, I do that and the results are, well, what you've heard in my music...

Here's an example of my drums:
MP3:DMF: http://sta.sh/01393py9x56d

esteban

IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

FraGMarE

Quote from: Michirin9801 on 01/29/2017, 12:37 PM
Quote from: fragmare on 01/29/2017, 09:07 AMWhat's that you say?  PSG drums?  I just got done trying my hand at making some from scratch, and they turned out pretty nice.  I might need them for this new chiptune i'm working on, so I decided to stop and go make some all-purpose PSG percussion.  I just arranged it into a little drum tune to make it easier on the ears while i test it out.  The tom turned out excellent, I think!  :)
Try having a higher-pitched kick in the very beginning of the snare instrument and then switch to noise in the very next row
I was thinking about trying some stuff like that, but I thought Deflemask didn't like switching the PCE into noise mode in mid-play of a note (or vice versa).  Now I'm gonna go experiment with that...

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: fragmare on 01/29/2017, 04:23 PMI was thinking about trying some stuff like that, but I thought Deflemask didn't like switching the PCE into noise mode in mid-play of a note (or vice versa).  Now I'm gonna go experiment with that...
the percussion mode in Squirrel does stuff like this so you can define drummy sounding noises.  It's pretty good about it.

Michirin9801

Quote from: guest on 01/29/2017, 04:26 PMthe percussion mode in Squirrel does stuff like this so you can define drummy sounding noises.  It's pretty good about it.
I'm sorry to say this, but the one thing I didn't like about Squirrel were the drums >w>
Like, when I listen to a song that was made with Squirrel, everything else sounds just fine, but the drums... Oh dear...
I personally think you can make better PSG drums with Deflemask, that said though, you could make a LOT better drums in it if only they implemented the Noise Mode Envelope I've suggested a while ago, that way you could make a snare that changes between wave and noise on every tick for example, making for a really good reverby snare! I've heard a song in a game that did a snare like that recently, but I don't remember which one, I was looking for it but I couldn't find it, if I find it I'll update this post...

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: Michirin9801 on 01/29/2017, 05:15 PMI'm sorry to say this, but the one thing I didn't like about Squirrel were the drums >w>
What's wrong with them?  You can make the drums yourself in Squirrel just like in Deflemask. 

You're just hearing the ones I made and liked, that others have borrowed instead of making their own.   

I only use the "percussion" mode for a hi-hat noise, and snare.   The kick is just a tonal kick.   I prefer tonal kicks over noisey ones.

They definitely sound better than what is in many commercial games that aren't using samples, so I think "oh dear" might be a bit overkill.

Michirin9801

Quote from: guest on 01/29/2017, 05:23 PMWhat's wrong with them?  You can make the drums yourself in Squirrel just like in Deflemask. 

You're just hearing the ones I made and liked, that others have borrowed instead of making their own.   

I only use the "percussion" mode for a hi-hat noise, and snare.   The kick is just a tonal kick.   I prefer tonal kicks over noisey ones.

They definitely sound better than what is in many commercial games that aren't using samples, so I think "oh dear" might be a bit overkill.
I figured you could...
And yeah, they probably are better than some commercial games with non-sampled drums, but not all of them... I think Ys IV, Xanadu 2, Cratermaze and Magical Chase all did PSG drums that please my ears more, but that's more of a matter of taste than anything...

Arkhan Asylum

Yeah, see, I don't like Cratermaze's snare or whatever you even want to call it.     There's not alot of body to it.

That kind of tight, punchy, filtery drum would have got lost in the shuffle with Atlantean, because there's constant sound effect crap going on. 

all the bewbewbew and fdjsdasjgojfgoi explosion noises kind of take over most of the time, lol

FraGMarE

Okay, these should sound improved a bit.  Same link as before:I could make them sound a bit deeper and punchier, but I'm tuning them to match a game that's not very punchy on percussion to begin with (next cover project).  I did the note>noise thing with the snare and it sounds MUCH better now.  Thanks, Michirin!  :)  I also have the kickbass set up on macro with -12 arpeggio, so it can hit C-0, which is disabled in Deflemask for some godforsaken reason......... <cough>

Anyway, should sound a little better now.  Still tweaking it.

elmer

Quote from: Michirin9801 on 01/29/2017, 05:15 PMI personally think you can make better PSG drums with Deflemask, that said though, you could make a LOT better drums in it if only they implemented the Noise Mode Envelope I've suggested a while ago, that way you could make a snare that changes between wave and noise on every tick for example, making for a really good reverby snare!
This is one of those times that I've got to support Arkhan and say that Squirrel should already be able to produce exactly the sound that you're wanting to get from the proposed changes to Deflemask.

It already has the switch-between-tone-and-noise-every-frame capability.

But ... like most of my incessant griping about MML, it's probably the text-based interface to everything that's putting you off, rather than the capabilities of the actual System Card Player.

BTW ...

If you guys actually want to create some drums using the proposed changes, they're already implemented in Huzak.

It's currently using the Arp Macro value to change the noise frequency using DefleMask's normal 12-step note-to-noise values, rather than the 0..30 Fixed Arpeggio range that we talked about ... but that's a 5-minute change, if you want me to do that.

The only thing to watch out for would be that the Arp Macro will *always* use that 0..30 range when the channel is in Noise Mode. There's no switching between methods in a song.

I don't see that as a problem, but it would mean that you'd have to redo *all* of your existing drums, which I think you're probably planning to do anyway.

If you want to play with that, I can spend a day or two setting up a simple drag-n-drop system that where you would save the .dmf from DefleMask, and then drag-n-drop the .dmf file onto a batch file, which would run the converter, create a ROM, and launch it in Mednafen.

Is that something that would interest either of you, right now?

Remember, there's currently no vibrato or detune or volume slides implemented, yet, so you are limited in what you can do.

Michirin9801

Quote from: fragmare on 01/29/2017, 06:24 PMOkay, these should sound improved a bit.  Same link as before:I could make them sound a bit deeper and punchier, but I'm tuning them to match a game that's not very punchy on percussion to begin with (next cover project).  I did the note>noise thing with the snare and it sounds MUCH better now.  Thanks, Michirin!  :)  I also have the kickbass set up on macro with -12 arpeggio, so it can hit C-0, which is disabled in Deflemask for some godforsaken reason......... <cough>

Anyway, should sound a little better now.  Still tweaking it.
Now that's a whole lot better ^^

Quote from: guest on 01/29/2017, 06:22 PMYeah, see, I don't like Cratermaze's snare or whatever you even want to call it.     There's not alot of body to it.

That kind of tight, punchy, filtery drum would have got lost in the shuffle with Atlantean, because there's constant sound effect crap going on. 

all the bewbewbew and fdjsdasjgojfgoi explosion noises kind of take over most of the time, lol
I respect your opinion, but the thing about your drums is that they probably sound better in Atlantean than they sound in other soundtracks, I imagine they were made with Atlantean in mind...
To help illustrate my point, imagine that I took the drums from Xanadu 2 and put them in Bloody wolf... I think the Xanadu 2 drums are A LOT better than those from Bloody Wolf, but they'd get drowned in Bloody Wolf's music because it's a lot louder and more 'hype' (for lack of a better word) than Xanadu 2's PSG songs, you know what I'm saying?

Quote from: elmer on 01/29/2017, 06:36 PMBut ... like most of my incessant griping about MML, it's probably the text-based interface to everything that's putting you off, rather than the capabilities of the actual System Card Player.
Which is probably why everyone else just used Arkhan's drums for their music instead of making their own PSG drums which would likely fit their songs better...

Quote from: elmer on 01/29/2017, 06:36 PMBTW ...

If you guys actually want to create some drums using the proposed changes, they're already implemented in Huzak.

It's currently using the Arp Macro value to change the noise frequency using DefleMask's normal 12-step note-to-noise values, rather than the 0..30 Fixed Arpeggio range that we talked about ... but that's a 5-minute change, if you want me to do that.

The only thing to watch out for would be that the Arp Macro will *always* use that 0..30 range when the channel is in Noise Mode. There's no switching between methods in a song.

I don't see that as a problem, but it would mean that you'd have to redo *all* of your existing drums, which I think you're probably planning to do anyway.

If you want to play with that, I can spend a day or two setting up a simple drag-n-drop system that where you would save the .dmf from DefleMask, and then drag-n-drop the .dmf file onto a batch file, which would run the converter, create a ROM, and launch it in Mednafen.

Is that something that would interest either of you, right now?

Remember, there's currently no vibrato or detune or volume slides implemented, yet, so you are limited in what you can do.
YES! I WANT THAT!!
It's better that I can test that already so that I can have my Huzak drums done, and then I can simply compose my songs with normal Deflemask drums and then switch them with Huzak drums when it's done!
By the way, the noise mode envelope is Wave 32 in the wave macro isn't it?

elmer

Quote from: Michirin9801 on 01/29/2017, 07:39 PM
Quote from: elmer on 01/29/2017, 06:36 PMIs that something that would interest either of you, right now?
YES! I WANT THAT!!
It's better that I can test that already so that I can have my Huzak drums done, and then I can simply compose my songs with normal Deflemask drums and then switch them with Huzak drums when it's done!
By the way, the noise mode envelope is Wave 32 in the wave macro isn't it?
Yes, you use the Wave Macro setting 32 to switch Noise On, and anything else to switch Noise Off and select the wavetable.

Would you like it with the full 0..30 range of noise settings in the Arp Macro, or just stick with the current 12-out-of-31 steps?

I really look forward to hearing how good you can get those drums to sound!  :dance:

Michirin9801

Quote from: elmer on 01/29/2017, 08:22 PMWould you like it with the full 0..30 range of noise settings in the Arp Macro, or just stick with the current 12-out-of-31 steps?
I want the full range, I need to hear what the all the noise frequencies sound like so that I can start experimenting with them and seeing what I can do...
That's gonna be fun ^^

elmer

Quote from: Michirin9801 on 01/29/2017, 08:38 PM
Quote from: elmer on 01/29/2017, 08:22 PMWould you like it with the full 0..30 range of noise settings in the Arp Macro, or just stick with the current 12-out-of-31 steps?
I want the full range, I need to hear what the all the noise frequencies sound like so that I can start experimenting with them and seeing what I can do...
That's gonna be fun ^^
OK!  :D

Here is the list of frequencies again, and the list of the 12 notes and their Noise Frequency settings that DefleMask is currently using.

Note that DefleMask is actually outputting frequency $1F for note A, but that's actually an illegal value, so I changed it to $1E, which is the highest frequency.

; ***************************************************************************
;
; HK_INDEX2NOISE - Table of deflemask's note index to noise frequency.
;
; The order is C, C#, D, D#, E, F, F#, G, G#, A, A#, B.
;
; N.B. Changed deflemask's $1F to $1E, because $1F is an illegal value.
;
; 00=$00  1804 Hz  :  08=$08  2432 Hz  :  16=$10  3729 Hz  :  24=$18  7991 Hz
; 01=$01  1865 Hz  :  09=$09  2543 Hz  :  17=$11  3996 Hz  :  25=$19  9323 Hz
; 02=$02  1929 Hz  :  10=$0A  2664 Hz  :  18=$12  4303 Hz  :  26=$1A 11188 Hz
; 03=$03  1998 Hz  :  11=$0B  2797 Hz  :  19=$13  4661 Hz  :  27=$1B 13984 Hz
; 04=$04  2072 Hz  :  12=$0C  2944 Hz  :  20=$14  5085 Hz  :  28=$1C 18646 Hz
; 05=$05  2151 Hz  :  13=$0D  3108 Hz  :  21=$15  5594 Hz  :  29=$1D 27969 Hz
; 06=$06  2238 Hz  :  14=$0E  3290 Hz  :  22=$16  6215 Hz  :  30=$1E 55938 Hz
; 07=$07  2331 Hz  :  15=$0F  3496 Hz  :  23=$17  6992 Hz  :
;

hk_index2noise: .db   $04, $0D, $0F, $12, $15, $17
                .db   $19, $1B, $1D, $1E, $01, $03

Michirin9801

Quote from: elmer on 01/29/2017, 08:50 PMNote that DefleMask is actually outputting frequency $1F for note A, but that's actually an illegal value, so I changed it to $1E, which is the highest frequency.
Oh crap, I've been using that frequency for my Hi-Hats...

elmer

Quote from: Michirin9801 on 01/29/2017, 10:00 PM
Quote from: elmer on 01/29/2017, 08:50 PMNote that DefleMask is actually outputting frequency $1F for note A, but that's actually an illegal value, so I changed it to $1E, which is the highest frequency.
Oh crap, I've been using that frequency for my Hi-Hats...
Don't worry ... it's not really a problem, as such, except for playing the .hes on real hardware.  :wink:

I think that Mednafen clamps the value anyway, so that you hear the same frequency that you would when I feed the "fixed" value to either Mednafen or the real hardware.

But what I haven't looked at, is whether that means that *all* the values should be 1-less compared to what you hear in DefleMask.

It would be nice if the project was Open Source so that we could see things, and fix things, and then "push" them to Delek so that he could decide what to accept or reject ... but that's not the case.

At least, at the moment.

Let's hope that he eventually has the time and energy to come back to the DefleMask forum and keep moving the program forwards.

He has already said that if he ever loses interest, then he'll make it Open Source.

We just need to have a bit of patience, and in the meantime, I'll do what I can.

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: Michirin9801 on 01/29/2017, 07:39 PMI respect your opinion, but the thing about your drums is that they probably sound better in Atlantean than they sound in other soundtracks, I imagine they were made with Atlantean in mind...
To help illustrate my point, imagine that I took the drums from Xanadu 2 and put them in Bloody wolf... I think the Xanadu 2 drums are A LOT better than those from Bloody Wolf, but they'd get drowned in Bloody Wolf's music because it's a lot louder and more 'hype' (for lack of a better word) than Xanadu 2's PSG songs, you know what I'm saying?
I know what you're saying.  I just can't help if other people take my drums and use them when they do their own tunes, lol.

It's probably easier to just borrow mine instead of trying to make their own.

They don't sound too bad overall in other certain tunes, either.   I like how they sound with the Shadow of the Beast tune I made awhile back:

www.aetherbyte.com/downloadables/sotb.mp3

but for some songs, no, they're going to sound odd.

ParanoiaDragon

;)Sweet, now go all Fighting Run on us, & add in some bass guitar with the drums!
IMG

FraGMarE

Even threw in a few "rim hit" sounds and a couple cymbal hits... starting to get the hang of this PSG percussion thing.  :)

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: fragmare on 01/30/2017, 01:25 AMEven threw in a few "rim hit" sounds and a couple cymbal hits... starting to get the hang of this PSG percussion thing.  :)
more like rim job amirite

huehuehue

lol.

FraGMarE

Quote from: guest on 01/30/2017, 01:34 AM
Quote from: fragmare on 01/30/2017, 01:25 AMEven threw in a few "rim hit" sounds and a couple cymbal hits... starting to get the hang of this PSG percussion thing.  :)
more like rim job amirite

huehuehue

lol.
IMG