PCE, SNES and Genesis Screen Comparison.

Started by awack, 03/25/2009, 10:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NightWolve

Good ole Raiden, a reason to fire up the MAME emulator. :)

Digi.k

Namco you really should have pushed the pce further for this release... I so wanted this to be that 6-8mbit Namco game....Although I was NOT disappointed with the pce's interpretation of the music here.

Dragon Saber
ArcadePC Engine
IMG IMG

ArcadePC Engine
IMG IMG

ArcadePC Engine
IMG IMG

ArcadePC Engine
IMG IMG

ccovell

Namco and Taito were a little bit lazy in playing to the PCE's strengths, graphic fidelity being one of them.  You have to forgive Namco a little bit, though, as their system 2 arcade hardware (Splatterhouse, Dragon Saber, Ordyne, Bravoman...) had 8 bit-per-pixel (256-colour) graphic tiles, when most other hardware at the time (PCE, Genesis, SNES, Neo-Geo, CPS-1, Sega Arcade units) used 4bpp (16-colour) tiles.  They're obviously unportably lush.

Digi.k

Strider  Arcade VS PCE

arcade
IMG
pce
IMG

arcade
IMG
pce
IMG

arcade
IMG
pce
IMG

arcade
IMG
pce
IMG

arcade
IMG
pce
IMG

touko

Strider really needs a SGX version ;-)

Digi.k

EMERALD DRAGON

Super Famicom
IMG
pce
IMG

Super Famicom
IMG
pce
IMG

esteban

IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

Digi.k

kikikaikai

famicom disk system
IMG
arcade
IMG
pce
IMG

arcade
IMG
pce
IMG

arcade
IMG
pce
IMG

Digi.k

operation wolf

arcade
IMG
pce
IMG

arcade
IMG
pce
IMG

arcade
IMG
pce
IMG

esteban

TR0N

Quote from: Digi.k on 06/22/2016, 12:10 PMkikikaikai
arcade
IMG
pce
IMG

arcade
IMG
pce
IMG

arcade
IMG
pce
IMG
Interesting though you forgot the famicom disk system version.
IMG
PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

TurboXray

Starting at 19minutes in, a longplay of three versions simultaneously (MD,PCE,Arcade).

esteban

Quote from: TurboXray on 06/23/2016, 12:35 PM
Starting at 19minutes in, a longplay of three versions simultaneously (MD,PCE,Arcade).
When I'm on home wifi, this video will look a lot better.

:)

wildfruit

Quote from: esteban on 06/23/2016, 04:12 PM

Get on that 4G

NecroPhile

Quote from: Digi.k on 06/10/2016, 08:03 PMSuper Famicom
IMG

pce
IMG
It's not as lopsided as the Forgotten World's sphinx comparison, but this one is pretty funny.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

esteban

Quote from: wildfruit on 07/01/2016, 03:29 PM
Quote from: esteban on 06/23/2016, 04:12 PM

Get on that 4G
Subway in NYC. Sporadic cell service at best.

Digi.k

Bomberman 94

Mega DrivePC Engine
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG

Digi.k

bob

Quote from: Digi.k on 06/22/2016, 12:49 PMoperation wolf

arcade
IMG
pce
IMG

arcade
IMG
pce
IMG

arcade
IMG
pce
IMG
so i never knew until recently that operation wolf is NOT a light gun game in the arcade.
the machine gun is just a joystick that moves the reticle around the screen.
not sure why, but i thought that was interesting.

esteban

Quote from: gynt on 07/22/2016, 12:46 AM
Quote from: Digi.k on 06/22/2016, 12:49 PMoperation wolf

arcade
IMG
pce
IMG

arcade
IMG
pce
IMG

arcade
IMG
pce
IMG
so i never knew until recently that operation wolf is NOT a light gun game in the arcade.
the machine gun is just a joystick that moves the reticle around the screen.
not sure why, but i thought that was interesting.
I loved Operation Wolf and Cabal. The local skating rink had them BITD. Lots of fun for a few quarters. 

Digi.k

gonna be slightly off here but can I add an audio comparison?

Shin Megami Tensei

SNES audio - boss
pc engine audio - boss
SNES audio - battle
pc engine audio - battle
SNES audio - neutral
pc engine audio - neutral

Digi.k

more audio comparisons

DragonSlayer legend of Heroes

SNES - March of Heroes
pc engine - March of Heroes
Megadrive - March of Heroes
SNES - Town
pc engine - Town
Megadrive - Town
SNES - Battle
pc engine - Battle
megadrive - Battle

Mathius

AWE...SOME! Thankyouthankyouthankyou!  :dance:

esteban

Looks like I will have to make a page for audio comparisons. :)

Mathius

Quote from: esteban on 01/13/2017, 04:21 PMLooks like I will have to make a page for audio comparisons. :)
You better!  :-$

Artabasdos

Quote from: Digi.k on 07/21/2016, 11:46 PMBomberman 94

megadrive
IMG
pc engine
IMG

megadrive
IMG
pc engine
IMG

megadrive
IMG
pc engine
IMG
How did you capture those screenshots? I have Mega Bomberman in my MD II right now hooked up via RGB SCART, and it's WAY brighter than those screen. Anyway, the PCE version looks better colour wise from what I've seen.

CrackTiger

They're just clips from youtube videos turned into gifs.

Mega Bomberman is still very dark on real hardware, especially compared to the original. It's also missing some special effects, lots of animation and various assets and suffers from major slowdown that isn't in '94.

It was a quick, low effort by Westone, but the music is great and the gameplay is still good. Much more enjoyable than the Super Bomberman games.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

Artabasdos

Quote from: guest on 03/21/2017, 12:02 AMThey're just clips from youtube videos turned into gifs.

Mega Bomberman is still very dark on real hardware, especially compared to the original. It's also missing some special effects, lots of animation and various assets and suffers from major slowdown that isn't in '94.

It was a quick, low effort by Westone, but the music is great and the gameplay is still good. Much more enjoyable than the Super Bomberman games.
Fair enough, but those screens aren't a fair representation tbh.

I love Super Bomberman!

Mathius

I actually just finished my annual re-reading of this thread and was going to post a question but then forgot about it. So thanks for the bump.

Is there any known method to take what Digi.K started and apply it in a way where the animations would better approximate what we would see animating on our screens? Like the quality of the earlier stills into fully smoothly animated clips with at least fairly accurate colors and resolutions?

ccovell

Quote from: Mathius on 03/21/2017, 01:09 AMLike the quality of the earlier stills into fully smoothly animated clips with at least fairly accurate colors and resolutions?
Find animgif software with dynamic palettes and no dithering?

Digi.k

Quote from: Artabasdos on 03/20/2017, 11:13 PMHow did you capture those screenshots? I have Mega Bomberman in my MD II right now hooked up via RGB SCART, and it's WAY brighter than those screen. Anyway, the PCE version looks better colour wise from what I've seen.
I think the genny version was taken from a youtuber called Anto RetroGamer

Artabasdos

Quote from: Digi.k on 03/21/2017, 05:57 AM
Quote from: Artabasdos on 03/20/2017, 11:13 PMHow did you capture those screenshots? I have Mega Bomberman in my MD II right now hooked up via RGB SCART, and it's WAY brighter than those screen. Anyway, the PCE version looks better colour wise from what I've seen.
I think the genny version was taken from a youtuber called Anto RetroGamer
Fair enough, but YouTube footage is a poor choice. I've uploaded captured Dreamcast footage before, and the colour was f***** up by Google's crappy encoding. Glad I stopped using Google's services tbh.

Mathius

Quote from: ccovell on 03/21/2017, 03:00 AM
Quote from: Mathius on 03/21/2017, 01:09 AMLike the quality of the earlier stills into fully smoothly animated clips with at least fairly accurate colors and resolutions?
Find animgif software with dynamic palettes and no dithering?
I'm not sure what this question means, but, yes? :)

CrackTiger

Quote from: Artabasdos on 03/21/2017, 12:08 AM
Quote from: CrackTiger on 03/21/2017, 12:02 AMThey're just clips from youtube videos turned into gifs.

I love Super Bomberman!
There's about 80 pages of screenshot comparisons, including Mega Bomberman/'94. Digi.k is now just posting video clips that compare aspects like (missing) effects, animation, assets, etc. It would be better for these to have a dedicated thread, along with a sound comparison thread, but this is just how it's going.

Mega Bomberman actually looks much worse with clear screenshots or on TV through RGB, as you can see that most of the shades and detail is missing. Those converted video clips create the illusion of shading which isn't actually there, while at the same time making it harder to make out all of the shading in '94.

https://www.myabandonware.com/game/mega-bomberman-88b
PC Engine versus Genesis
bomberman94-3.png mega-bomberman3.png
IMG
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

Artabasdos

Quote from: guest on 03/21/2017, 07:18 PM
Quote from: Artabasdos on 03/21/2017, 12:08 AM
Quote from: guest on 03/21/2017, 12:02 AMThey're just clips from youtube videos turned into gifs.

I love Super Bomberman!
There's about 80 pages of screenshot comparisons, including Mega Bomberman/'94. Digi.k is now just posting video clips that compare aspects like (missing) effects, animation, assets, etc. It would be better for these to have a dedicated thread, along with a sound comparison thread, but this is just how it's going.

Mega Bomberman actually looks much worse with clear screenshots or on TV through RGB, as you can see that most of the shades and detail is missing. Those converted video clips create the illusion of shading which isn't actually there, while at the same time making it harder to make out all of the shading in '94.

https://www.myabandonware.com/game/mega-bomberman-88b
PC Engine versus Genesis
bomberman94-3.png mega-bomberman3.png
In no way am I debating that Mega Bomberman looks better than Bomberman '94. The PCE is so much more colourful. The MD port uses odd choices for colours (happens on quite a few MD games).

Talking of sound, I'm still surprised how much clear the voices in Street Fighter II on PCE are. Way better than on the Megadrive (though this is because the driver used on the MD port is crap). It has been fixed now, and sounds as good as the PCE version!

Digi.k

Wonderboy III Monster Lair

Megadrive
IMG
arcade
IMG
pc engine
IMG

megadrive
IMG
arcade
IMG
pc engine
IMG

megadrive
IMG
arcade
IMG
pc engine
IMG

Digi.k

Gradius aka Nemesis (I think the gamma might be off on this arcade vid)

arcade
IMG
pc engine
IMG

arcade
IMG
pc engine
IMG

arcade
IMG
pc engine
IMG

Digi.k

Street Fighter aka Fighting Street

pc engine
IMG
arcade
IMG
amiga ---- well..... I couldn't find this game on any other console
IMG

pc engine
IMG
arcade
IMG
amiga
IMG

pc engine
IMG
arcade
IMG
amiga
IMG

pc engine
IMG
arcade
IMG
amiga

Michirin9801

I'm unsure about this, but I think the Atari ST version of Street Fighter was better than the Amiga one, I mean, it still had the parallax scrolling (although it was tile-based) which the Amiga lacks, and I also think it ran a little faster?
Well, maybe the Amiga has better music to make up for that, either way, the port was rubbish, so that's not even remotely fair of a comparison...

RNSpeed

Street Fighter brings back good memories. Love that game

esteban

Quote from: RNSpeed on 08/07/2017, 11:44 PMStreet Fighter brings back good memories. Love that game
Yes, I have fond memories of Fighting Street...

Just kidding :)

Although, I am going to listen to the soundtrack now...

Digi.k

Gokuraku chuka taisen VS chuka taisen

Master System
IMG
arcade
IMG
pc engine
IMG
NES
IMG

Master System
IMG
arcade
IMG
pc engine
IMG
NES
IMG

Master System
IMG
arcade
IMG
pc engine
IMG
NES
IMG

Master System
IMG
arcade
IMG
pc engine
IMG
NES
IMG

Mathius

I had no idea Cloud Master had so much parallax! Guess I'll have to put it on my wish list finally.  :mrgreen:

Digi.k

Tokimeki Memorial

pc engine
IMG
super famicom
IMG

pc engine
IMG
super famicom
IMG

pc engine
IMG
super famicom
IMG

pc engine
IMG
super famicom
IMG

esteban

gilbert

Though this thread is more for comparison among the "16-bit" consoles, I think it'd be fun to have comparisons shots from the Famicom and SMS versions of Chuunka Taisen also. (Currently it's only compared against the Arcade version anyway, since there is no other 16-bit console counterpart.)
IMO the Famicom and SMS are good conversions in their only rights considering the limitations of the platforms.

esteban

Quote from: gilbert on 08/14/2017, 10:33 AMThough this thread is more for comparison among the "16-bit" consoles, I think it'd be fun to have comparisons shots from the Famicom and SMS versions of Chuunka Taisen also. (Currently it's only compared against the Arcade version anyway, since there is no other 16-bit console counterpart.)
IMO the Famicom and SMS are good conversions in their only rights considering the limitations of the platforms.
Absolutely.

We have made mention of SMS (and maybe Famicom?) in the past... I would love for Amiga, MSX, PC-88/PC-98, FM-Towns, X68, etc. etc. to be added, too, at some point in the future.

*far future*

But it would be nice.

Darius II had a SMS port that I didn't know about until this thread, for example:

https://www.tg-16.com/screenshot_comparisons_shmups.htm#Darius_2

But we still need someone to finish the final column (SMS) for this:

https://www.tg-16.com/screenshot_comparisons_rpg.htm#Dynastic_Hero

*one day*
*it will happen*

NecroPhile

I did one of Don Doko Don on PCE and NES, but I'm sure the link is long dead.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

Digi.k

Cloud Master Chuka Taisen got an update

gilbert

=D> Great!

It's interesting that even though the SMS version is slightly more colourful, the Famicom looks closer to the Arcade version than the SMS one. The PCE version is made intentionally different from the Arcade version, though not showing the score in a status bar may upset someone.