RIP to BT Garner of MindRec.com... He passed away early 2023 from health problems. BT was one of the top PCE homebrew developers and founder of the OG Turbo List, then PCECP.com. Condolences to family and friends.
IMG
IMG
Main Menu

Wtb: supergrafx?

Started by in99flames, 07/26/2017, 10:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

in99flames

Ive always was curious about a Supergrafx.  I think I want to buy one. Is there anything worth getting for it?
I am somebody's mommy!
----name that movie quote :)

crazydean

There's only five games for it and none of them are cheap. However, Ghouls and Ghosts is one of my favorite games on the Genesis. No idea how it compares. I assume it's better.

If you're not sure, maybe do some research first and watch a quick video on the five games on it. Personally, I'd go for an Arcade Card before I got a whole new system.

seieienbu

I'd say try the 5 games out on emulator:
Aldynes,
Battle Ace,
Ghouls and Ghosts,
Granzort

Darius Plus also takes advantage of the Supergrafx hardware if its there but not to a great extent.

I think Aldynes is fantastic and is one of my favorite shooters on the platform.  I'm a big fan of GnG and liked Granzort and 1941 quite a bit.  I don't personally like them enough to warrant the console purchase for such a limited lineup of games but I can't think of another system where I would nebulously like to purchase 83% of the library.
Current want list:  Bomberman 93

NoSexGex

Expensive toys, i've only had the chance to play Ghouls and Ghosts and it was A+
For a good time, reach out to this wily KKKFarm-crankcaller at (780) 717-9274 or Ryleystuartreynolds@gmail.com up in Alberta, Canada!
His last crank-voicemail: "Gimme a call back when you can. This is Ryley by the way... *giggles*"
He then followed it up with 8 WEEKS of ~DAILY calling! BAN ON SIGHT!!!

Dicer

Had one, def worth having short term, but the novelty quickly wore off....

I was expecting it to be much bigger and heavier, but it's kinda small and light, that was a let down.

SignOfZeta

Quote from: guest on 07/27/2017, 12:12 AMExpensive toys, i've only had the chance to play Ghouls and Ghosts and it was A+
Are you sure?

It's funny that Makaimura games are common as hell on NES, SNES, and Genesis and they are so mother fucking hard that maybe only %1 of the OGs I know have cleared the thing in 30 years. But if you make a version that's harder to get and kinda collectardy all sorts of people will praise it.

To answer the OP: no, but it's really easy to sell it off onto the next guy. The SGX is a system a lot of people used to own.
IMG

NoSexGex

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 07/27/2017, 09:49 PM
Quote from: NoSexGex on 07/27/2017, 12:12 AMExpensive toys, i've only had the chance to play Ghouls and Ghosts and it was A+
Are you sure?
YEAAH
I don't own one, but I've had the opportunity to check it out at a buddies place. I remember the SNES ghouls n ghosts having slow down problems that I didn't notice on supergrafx. The NES ghosts n goblins did too, but I never minded it for w/e reason; probably because I expect it playing on a Nintendo.

Although they're entirely different games lol, and I've never played it on Genesis. But I really liked it on Amiga, the music is sexxxx; mann is it good. I could listen to that Timmm F soundtrack for hours, remember playing it a lot when I was studying in my last year of university. Not to derail the thread, but definitely some of my favourite video game music of all time.

For a good time, reach out to this wily KKKFarm-crankcaller at (780) 717-9274 or Ryleystuartreynolds@gmail.com up in Alberta, Canada!
His last crank-voicemail: "Gimme a call back when you can. This is Ryley by the way... *giggles*"

in99flames

Hmmm....even though it may feel like a novelty to get one...im not deterred just yet. Anyone willing to part with theirs? Lol.  Cant it play pcengine games as well if im not mistaken?
I am somebody's mommy!

ClodBusted

Yes, the SGX plays PCE Hueys as well, since it is backwards compatible. You could also go as far as attaching it to the Super CD-RomĀ² or to the IFU + CD-RomĀ² (the latter needs the RAU-30 adaptor and a CD system card of your choice). The beauty of such a setup is in the eye of the beholder.

GohanX

Quote from: in99flames on 07/28/2017, 02:35 AMI don't really know anything about the system but I'm fully prepared to drop $300 on a system and $200 on a port of a game that can be easily played elsewhere because fuck, it's just money.
This thread in a nutshell.

in99flames

Quote from: GohanX on 07/28/2017, 09:23 AM
Quote from: in99flames on 07/28/2017, 02:35 AMI don't really know anything about the system but I'm fully prepared to drop $300 on a system and $200 on a port of a game that can be easily played elsewhere because fuck, it's just money.
My life and anus in a nutshell.
Or maybe Its something ive been intrigued with for a while and want to know more about. I dont have a pcengine just a usa turbo. God forbid I want to ask people who might have owned one for information. I work and support my house, cars, and hobbies just fine. I appreciate your concern for my monetary well-being.

ANYWAYS, back on topic...

I think ill try on emulation like suggested. See if its something worth getting. I was really attracted to the fact that its kind of a cool looking system with that PCEngine compatibility and can play its own games(albeit only 5). I was thinking of getting a way to play PC Engine stuff and based upon prices of everything for a little more getting this(instead of a Duo) seemed like a better deal for me. I think :-P
I am somebody's mommy!

NoSexGex

HuMan

Maybe you should just get a PC Engine Shuttle instead, it's just as strange looking and useful.

in99flames

Pc engine shuttle....ill look this up. Thanks for the suggestion!
I am somebody's mommy!

NecroPhile

The SGX is pretty much for collectards.  It's the thing you should only buy after you've bought a IFU/Duo, built a library of games you love, and find yourself wondering what else you can spend money on.  Other options include the expensive LA with its somewhat larger library and the similarly priced PC-FX with its much larger (if less gaijin friendly) library.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

Gypsy

Quote from: in99flames on 07/28/2017, 10:46 AMPc engine shuttle....ill look this up. Thanks for the suggestion!
Lol don't get a Shuttle.

Also Zeta is giving pretty sound advice. The Supergrafx is a console that people tend to sell after having it. I suppose what you really have to ask yourself is what system do you have that you only have 5 games for. Because while yes the Supergrafx can play regular hueys a white PCE is like $30. So you are paying another $250 for access to pay lots of money for each Supergrafx title. Even with easily affording it, there are just...much better things to spend that money on.

SignOfZeta

Quote from: in99flames on 07/28/2017, 10:25 AM
Quote from: GohanX on 07/28/2017, 09:23 AM
My life and anus in a nutshell.
Or maybe Its something ive been intrigued with for a while and want to know more about. I dont have a pcengine just a usa turbo. God forbid I want to ask people who might have owned one for information. I work and support my house, cars, and hobbies just fine. I appreciate your concern for my monetary well-being.

ANYWAYS, back on topic...

I think ill try on emulation like suggested. See if its something worth getting. I was really attracted to the fact that its kind of a cool looking system with that PCEngine compatibility and can play its own games(albeit only 5). I was thinking of getting a way to play PC Engine stuff and based upon prices of everything for a little more getting this(instead of a Duo) seemed like a better deal for me. I think :-P
Buy whatever you want, just spare us the contrived justifications and seemingly not genuine requests for advice.

A way to play PCE games would be to buy a $60 PCE or mod your TG for $10 in parts. The SGX is going to cost that much squared. It also takes up that much more room.

It's cool and it's awesome, but it's also a kinda dumb and it sucks. That's why it was cancelled before it went on sale and it only got five games. Why would you expect people to do anything but talk you out of it?

And getting it instead of a Duo...that's nonsense. The SGX has five exclusive games, none are impressive, all made in the same year. The Duo lets you play over 300 games a SGX can't play and they include most of the systems' best games. SCD was the "main" PCE format more than any other, with standard PCE cards being second.

You need to play Dracula X and you keep reaching for Battle Ace. Keep it together!
IMG

csgx1

The SGX is one of my favorite systems, but I would not buy one now with the crazy prices the system and games are selling for.

Everdrive does work with the SGX if you don't already know.

xcrement5x

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 07/27/2017, 09:49 PMTo answer the OP: no, but it's really easy to sell it off onto the next guy. The SGX is a system a lot of people used to own.
Lol, just like the PC-FX
Demented Clone Warrior Consensus: "My pirated forum clone is superior/more "moral" than yours, neener neener neener..."  ](*,)

PunkCryborg

Every NEC system is worth getting and trying out at some point. Trying all the funky console revisions and accessories is half the fun of being an NEC fan

Gypsy

Quote from: guest on 07/28/2017, 01:04 PM
Quote from: SignOfZeta on 07/27/2017, 09:49 PMTo answer the OP: no, but it's really easy to sell it off onto the next guy. The SGX is a system a lot of people used to own.
Lol, just like the PC-FX
Or 32x.

But even then, both of those systems have a multitude more of games than SuperGrafx exclusives. They are both systems I keep around. This reminds me I should burn off Power League FX tonight.

esteban

Quote from: PunkCryborg on 07/28/2017, 01:06 PMEvery NEC system is worth getting and trying out at some point. Trying all the funky console revisions and accessories is half the fun of being an NEC fan
Thank you.

I love playing on all the different hardware.

I love the NA hardware, too.

Everyone enjoys different things, and I certainly enjoy the physical hardware aspect of all the old consoles.
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

in99flames

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 07/28/2017, 11:52 AMBuy whatever you wait, just spare us the contrived justifications and seemingly not genuine requests for advice.
Lol Zeta. I should have expected that comment from you.

I didnt realize regular pcengine was THAT cheap now. I was thinking more duo price.

Esteban im like you. I like playing the old stuff on their own hardware. Each one has its own charm.

Everyone has good points....ill look into all options. Thanks for the input guys.
I am somebody's mommy!

RNSpeed

Its you hard earned money so you decide on what to spend it. People may have differen opinions regarding spending or not on a Supergrafx. But at the end what really matters is that you'll be the one that will be enjoying or not enjoying the system.

TelcoSurveyor

I think the Supergrafx looks like it's tearing ass around the living room but none of the games pump my nads so I've never wanted to drop the coin.  If you want one, get one.  If you decide you don't want it down the road just talk the next guy asking about it into buying yours.
I'm the Wind, Baby!

NoSexGex

Quote from: NecroPhile on 07/28/2017, 11:20 AMThe SGX is pretty much for collectards.  It's the thing you should only buy after you've bought a IFU/Duo, built a library of games you love, and find yourself wondering what else you can spend money on.
Like NecroPhile said, and with the $$ a SGX + games cost, you could be getting way better stuff (if u don't already have them)

in99flames

True....for the money i could get something better. Maybe the sgx is for another day. I appreciate the feedback.
I am somebody's mommy!

Gypsy

Quote from: in99flames on 07/28/2017, 01:46 PMEsteban im like you. I like playing the old stuff on their own hardware. Each one has its own charm.
I paid $35 shipped for one on here quite recently for the record. A major seller on facebook was selling them for that price as well and he had I think 10. They sold pretty fast but it's definitely doable.

If what you want is Japanese hucard access without modifying your system, that'd be your best bet. Even assuming you don't want RF, it's cheaper to get a white PCE and one of those cheapo boosters from China (seller is a member here) than it is to buy a Core Grafx last I knew.

Bardoly

Quote from: esteban on 07/28/2017, 01:26 PM
Quote from: PunkCryborg on 07/28/2017, 01:06 PMEvery NEC system is worth getting and trying out at some point. Trying all the funky console revisions and accessories is half the fun of being an NEC fan
Thank you.

I love playing on all the different hardware.

I love the NA hardware, too.

Everyone enjoys different things, and I certainly enjoy the physical hardware aspect of all the old consoles.
I agree with Esteban.  If you have the funds, then go ahead and try it out.  For me, I felt that getting the Super Grafx and a Super CD Rom2 with an Arcade Card and a region mod was the way to go.

herr-g

In my opinion the sgx is worth owning for daimakaimura alone. It's a wonderful and technically impressive port of one of my all-time favorites. One of the best nec cards imo.

Dicer

Fuck the shuttle, that is all...

CrackTiger

Quote from: HuMan on 07/28/2017, 10:43 AMMaybe you should just get a PC Engine Shuttle instead, it's just as strange looking and useful.
The SuperGrafx can play the entire library of PCE games, short of LD2 games.

The Shuttle can't connect to a CD-ROM and can only save games to a  dedicated accessory sold separately.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

Sapicco

What's a couple hundy. You have a job right. Just splurge.

haightc

If you patient you can get a good price, just be careful as the can get a cracked motherboard under the card slot pretty easy.    Trust me, it's not a fun or easy repair, is the system worth $200 probably not.   ghouls & ghosts looks awesome, but the difficulty of this title was a pretty big turn off.   For SGFX titles, I more likely going to what to 1942 or Aldynes.