RIP to BT Garner of MindRec.com... He passed away early 2023 from health problems. BT was one of the top PCE homebrew developers and founder of the OG Turbo List, then PCECP.com. Condolences to family and friends.
IMG
IMG
Main Menu

Lucretia - Demon Princess (鬼姫の呪い in Japan) NOW IN BETA TESTING

Started by OldRover, 05/26/2013, 01:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

esteban

FIRST: I love Lucretia to bits. SO MUCH ATTENTION TO DETAIL and just from the menus/attract mode I can see how things will (probably) be fleshed out further. THIS IS ALREADY A MUST-HAVE, even if it didn't progress any further.

IMG
IMG
IMG
IMG
IMG

Quote from: TheClash603 on 12/10/2016, 01:24 PMA.)  When killing guys, maybe there should be a bit more of a noise or a little flash or red blood spot or something?  The character's attacks don't seem to have weight and killing someone doesn't give a feeling of satisfaction.

B.)  I also suggest that the bosses flash or there is some indicator you are hitting them.  First time I reached the boss I wasn't sure I was doing damage.
I also feel that this utterly fantastic Lucretia would be even better if it were more visceral... if there was some indication/feedback that indicated when (1) boss was hit and (2) enemy killed.

FOR EXAMPLE: If you made the game compatible with the Virtual Cushion, you could simply use a MEGA BASS BUMP to indicate when a boss was hit, and my crotch, which straddles the Virtual Cushion, would be intimately aware of how many times I hit the bastard. :)

SRSLY: It is not easy to achieve that visceral feeling... especially when a game's aesthetics eschew *explosions* and the like... I love that you are doing something different (having enemies drop dead and fall)... so, I am not sure how best to convey "death"... however, I was thinking that, perhaps, death could be conveyed with a simple DEATH CONVULSION (that is, a horizontal "shuddering", where sprite jumps (left 1 pixel --> right 1 pixel) x ____ times, then sprite jumps (left 2 pixels --> right 2 pixels) x ____ times, then, back to 1-pixel shuddering for the *initial* moments of the "death fall" (the remainder of the fall is "normal" trajectory down... no shuddering).

It would take some trial-and-error to fine-tune the DEATH CONVULSION shudder, but, personally, I think it would provide Clash, myself, and like-minded folks the visceral "feedback" we crave :)

BOTTOM LINE: short + quick shudder, with just a bit of lingering shudder during initial descent.

ENEMIES: I think I would prefer death convulsion vs.  "blinking" to indicate enemy sprites dying (and subsequently falling off screen)

BOSSES: I don't think I have a preference. Whatever looks better (shuddering or blinking) to indicate a "hit"...

OTHERWISE: I love this demo and I don't want anything else changed. Yes, it is kicking my butt, but I have barely played it. Keep it challenging :)
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

Mishran

I received an email back in July which I had replied to, but I haven't seen any demo disc. I'll just have to wait for the ISO release I suppose. Game definitely look great. Looking forward to the release.

Psycho Punch

This Toxic Turbo Troll & Clone Warrior calls himself "Burning Fight!!" on Neo-Geo.com
For a good time, reach out to: aleffrenan94@gmail.com or punchballmariobros@gmail.com
Like DildoKobold, dildos are provided free of charge, no need to bring your own! :lol:
He also ran scripts to steal/clone this forum which blew up the error logs!
I had to delete THOUSANDS of error log entries cause of this nutcase!
how_to_spell_ys_sign_origin_ver.webp

esteban

OldRover

Quote from: TheClash603 on 12/10/2016, 01:24 PMA.)  When killing guys, maybe there should be a bit more of a noise or a little flash or red blood spot or something?  The character's attacks don't seem to have weight and killing someone doesn't give a feeling of satisfaction.
People complained about the original sound so I changed it to something more subtle. I was going for a Coryoon style but probably failed at it. :lol:

Quote from: TheClash603 on 12/10/2016, 01:24 PMB.)  I also suggest that the bosses flash or there is some indicator you are hitting them.  First time I reached the boss I wasn't sure I was doing damage.
This is a known bug in that build. It's due to the change in both the graphics and the revised boss code. It's already been fixed on this side, but that doesn't do much good on your side, heh. :)

Quote from: TheClash603 on 12/10/2016, 01:24 PMC.)  Game speed is fast and sometimes it feels as though it is just a bit unfair when guys come out behind and get that quick hit.  Maybe a tad slower would be better?  I love fast games, like Summer Carnival on Famicom, but in that game enemies aren't coming from all sides.
Some gameplay balancing will be done to make it a bit more fair. It's designed more as a memory shooter than a twitch shooter, but even as a memory shooter, it's not so easy to remember the patterns.

Quote from: TheClash603 on 12/10/2016, 01:24 PMA.)  Game is hard!  I wasn't able to make it past the second stage, so if the demo is indicative of the final release, maybe you should add a continue feature?  The guys who are a lot better than me will go for 1CC anyway, the continue gives more people enjoyment and a chance to plow through.
The final game will have a continue feature, but since the demo is short, I didn't feel it was a necessary addition at this time.

Quote from: TheClash603 on 12/10/2016, 01:24 PMB.)  In the options menu there are two empty spaces you can click on.  If these are placeholders for the final release, that's cool.  If they are there in error, figured I would let you know.
Lots of stuff in the menus don't work right now, so something might be buggy bugs. :D

Quote from: TheClash603 on 12/10/2016, 01:24 PM3.)  Will the game include a manual discussing game mechanics?  I am not quite sure I am using the shield and power-up feature correctly and I am sure they are fine, but some guidance in a manual will be great.
Yeah, this will all be laid out in the manual. I probably should have given out some text or something regarding the controls and such... my bad. :D
Turbo Badass Rank: Janne (6 of 12 clears)
Conquered so far: Sinistron, Violent Soldier, Tatsujin, Super Raiden, Shape Shifter, Rayxanber II

ROHfan

Quote from: Sarumaru on 11/28/2016, 11:33 AMInserts will also be available to download so that you may decorate your demos and make them shelf-appropriate :P
Has the download for the inserts gone up yet? If so, where do I find it?
Thanks.

TheClash603

I was flipping through my game shelf and saw the demo for this game, which made me wonder if any progress had been made.  Any updates available at this time?

OldRover

Conquered so far: Sinistron, Violent Soldier, Tatsujin, Super Raiden, Shape Shifter, Rayxanber II

mrhaboobi

Been some time since ive been here, pretty sure i also pre paid for this like years ago :)  wondering if you have my correct address :)
Looking for (MINT ONLY)
US Manual : Magical Chase, Shockman 
US Box : Turrican,  Soldier Blade, New Adventure Island, Neutopia II
Other : Sapphire OBI, Turbo Play Aug/Sept 90, April/May 92, Turbo Edge Spring 90

PC Engine Special Cards : Bomberman User Battle

Alydnes Super Grafx

schweaty

Quote from: mrhaboobi on 08/22/2017, 06:28 PMBeen some time since ive been here, pretty sure i also pre paid for this like years ago :)  wondering if you have my correct address :)
Interested in this as well.  I prepaid as well and I know you don't have my current address

OldRover

Long time no update. With FX-Unit Yuki being finished and being sent off to press shortly, I figured it was time to update this thread.

This project is about to go back into production. Saru's got the new pixelwork coming and has found a composer for the game so we can get rid of the stock music it has in it right now. The code is finished, but I may revisit it to make a few changes for the better. The Yuki project really upped my skill level so I should use that spike in experience to make Lucretia a better game.

Jester82

Quote from: OldRover on 02/25/2018, 06:14 PMLong time no update. With FX-Unit Yuki being finished and being sent off to press shortly, I figured it was time to update this thread.

This project is about to go back into production. Saru's got the new pixelwork coming and has found a composer for the game so we can get rid of the stock music it has in it right now. The code is finished, but I may revisit it to make a few changes for the better. The Yuki project really upped my skill level so I should use that spike in experience to make Lucretia a better game.
Super Awesome to hear! Where can we order a copy of this game? Either pre-order or once it's finished, thanks!

NecroPhile

Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

Psycho Punch

LMAO I still have that handpainted Galaga 90 thing stored alongside my turbo games
This Toxic Turbo Troll & Clone Warrior calls himself "Burning Fight!!" on Neo-Geo.com
For a good time, reach out to: aleffrenan94@gmail.com or punchballmariobros@gmail.com
Like DildoKobold, dildos are provided free of charge, no need to bring your own! :lol:
He also ran scripts to steal/clone this forum which blew up the error logs!
I had to delete THOUSANDS of error log entries cause of this nutcase!
how_to_spell_ys_sign_origin_ver.webp

OldRover

Not really doing preorders for Lucretia anymore. Not gonna worry about any orders for it until it's done. Too many debacles surrounding such things.

Jester82

Quote from: OldRover on 02/27/2018, 01:41 PMNot really doing preorders for Lucretia anymore. Not gonna worry about any orders for it until it's done. Too many debacles surrounding such things.
Ok sounds good, really excited for both of your games!

pceslayer

This news is good to hear!

Hopefully you guys send out an address confirmation before shipping out. I moved twice in the past 3 years ha!

schweaty

Quote from: pceslayer on 03/02/2018, 11:37 AMThis news is good to hear!

Hopefully you guys send out an address confirmation before shipping out. I moved twice in the past 3 years ha!
Same here.  Missed out on the Henshin Engine Demo disc because of this as well

roflmao

OldRover

After my surgery tomorrow (it's nothing too serious, no worries), I'll be re-opening the code for this project to see where I can make some improvements. Saru is going to resume the pixel art shortly.

TheClash603

ParanoiaDragon

IMG

cr8zykuban0

esteban

Quote from: OldRover on 03/06/2018, 07:53 PMAfter my surgery tomorrow (it's nothing too serious, no worries), I'll be re-opening the code for this project to see where I can make some improvements. Saru is going to resume the pixel art shortly.
Comrade, I trust that you are having a speedy recovery.

Godspeed, comrade.

Godspeed.

:)