10/31/2023: Localization News - Dead of the Brain 1!

No, NOT a trick, a Halloween treat! Presenting the Dead of the Brain 1 English patch by David Shadoff for the DEAD last official PC Engine CD game published by NEC before exiting the console biz in 1999! I helped edit/betatest and it's also a game I actually finished in 2023, yaaay! Shubibiman also did a French localization. github.com/dshadoff/DeadoftheBrain
twitter.com/NightWolve/PCENews
Main Menu

Your Daily Dose of Gaming.

Started by Ninja Spirit, 07/15/2005, 01:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TR0N

Quote from: turbo D on 07/31/2007, 01:45 AMIllusion of gaia is one of the coolest rpgs on the snes  :D
That's one snes arpg i never got to play.

I remember during the 90's, QVC was trying to sell copys of it and show it's gameplay.

It be some thing if it ends-up on the vc i give it a try.
IMG
PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

Kitsunexus

I'll be frank, it's cool, but it's no Square. ;)
Forgive me, my brain is on par with the Bubble System.
THE CHEMICAL BROTHERS RULE!

akamichi

Been playing Murder Club lately.  I beat it waaaay back when and never played it since.  I think I like the game more now than I did back then.

PC Engine

Murder Club
Daimakaimura
Granzort (better than I expected.  Pretty good but not great)

Probably tackle Battle Ace and Aldynes next. :)

GUTS

Steve you need a DS or one of the new PSPs (in october) so you don't have to play those awful cell phone games anymore on your train rides.  It makes the whole world sad when you spend $8 on a cell phone game!

Turbo D

what about those bad ass sega releases on the cell phone?
Quote from: MissaFX on 01/06/2008, 12:10 PMMy idea of gaming is a couple of friends over, a couple of drinks, a couple of medical-handrolled-game-enhancing-cigs and a glowing box you all worship.
IMG IMG
IMG

Kitsunexus

turbo d's right, the Sega cell games rock...

esteban

Quote from: GUTS on 07/31/2007, 07:21 PMSteve you need a DS or one of the new PSPs (in october) so you don't have to play those awful cell phone games anymore on your train rides.  It makes the whole world sad when you spend $8 on a cell phone game!
I know! The sad thing is that I always say to myself: "I don't have any room for a handheld, so I'll just use my phone."

Of course, the problem could be solved by getting a new briefcase or bag! That's what I need to do...
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

GUTS

Get a fanny pack and some muscle pants and you'll be set.  Keep in mind you would also need some converse shoes and shirts with the sleeves torn off.

Joe Redifer

Yesterday I played some Gate of Thunder (got second place!!!!) as well as John Madden Duo Turbo CD Power Football (it says during the FMV intro that it's for the Turbo Duo but it works on my TG-16 CD drive... I guess they didn't feel like mentioning that since they hated TG-16-CD owners) and a bit of Ys Book 1 and 2.  Who here is jealous?

Turbo D

Quote from: MissaFX on 01/06/2008, 12:10 PMMy idea of gaming is a couple of friends over, a couple of drinks, a couple of medical-handrolled-game-enhancing-cigs and a glowing box you all worship.
IMG IMG
IMG

TR0N

Bump!

Finsh Odin Sphere finally got the good ending too.

Still i feel the leveling system is a hassle if any at all  ](*,)
IMG

Kitsunexus

Purchased Super Street Fighter 2, BattleClash, and Darius Twin for SNES.

Going to be very busy... ^_^

EDIT: Is BattleClash controller compatible? I don't have a SuperScope. T_T

Kitsunexus

Answered my own question with a ROM. BattleClash is going back tomorrow. IMG

Kitsunexus

BTW, 55 pages and this isn't stickied!? WTF!?

Digi.k

still on the phantasy star universe..

strange oasis party which someone got us all to join so they could film it,  probably will end up on youtube..

IMG

TR0N

Quote from: Digi.k on 08/09/2007, 07:47 PMstill on the phantasy star universe..

strange oasis party which someone got us all to join so they could film it,  probably will end up on youtube..

IMG
Cute i still i haven't bother getting it online for my PS2 still  :oops:
IMG

PCEngineHell

King of Fighters 94 and 95,SNKvsCapcom Chaos.

TR0N

Wii/GC
Metroid Prime 2 Echos:I need to finsh it befor MP3 comes out  :oops:

PCE
Bomberman 93

Famicom
Splatterhouse wanpaku grafitti
IMG

Joe Redifer

Today I played Exile on both the TurboGrafx-16 and the Sega Genesis 16-bit Entertainment System.  The Genesis one is a bit easier I think, but the buttons seem to be stuck on permanent rapid-fire.  Perhaps I should try to set the controller to 3 button mode... I just now though of that.  The text is easier to read in the Turbo version by far, and I prefer the softer sound effects on the Turbo as well.  The music is pretty much a draw right now.  The CD music is not impressive.  The Genesis definitely has better music in the first town.

esteban

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 08/12/2007, 03:02 AMToday I played Exile on both the TurboGrafx-16 and the Sega Genesis 16-bit Entertainment System.  The Genesis one is a bit easier I think, but the buttons seem to be stuck on permanent rapid-fire.  Perhaps I should try to set the controller to 3 button mode... I just now though of that.  The text is easier to read in the Turbo version by far, and I prefer the softer sound effects on the Turbo as well.  The music is pretty much a draw right now.  The CD music is not impressive.  The Genesis definitely has better music in the first town.
Ha! I have to say that the Red Book for Exile is pretty awesome... all of the techno-esque dance tunes, anyway. There's a nice homage to Kraftwerk (specifically, Kraftwerk's track "Numbers"). I have never read anyone point this out before, and I even wrote an article a few years ago (I don't think I ever finished it) that pointed out the "coincidental" similarities between a bunch of PCE Red Book and popular synth-pop of the 80's. Most of the stuff really was due to the musical zeitgeist... but that particular track in Exile is no accident, it is an homage, or sorts, to Numbers.

The non-dance tracks work well in the game, but they aren't designed to be anything more than nice background music (like most games).

Unsolicited anecdote: My brothers and I made a movie called "Snow Bash 3000" and we used one of the tracks from Exile (I think it was the boss tune) because we loved that track -- the game had just been released and we were stoked that Working Designs was breathing some life into the console. As far as Snow Bash 3000 is concerned, well, it was a stellar moment in the history of world film, let me tell you :).

CrackTiger

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 08/12/2007, 03:02 AMToday I played Exile on both the TurboGrafx-16 and the Sega Genesis 16-bit Entertainment System.  The Genesis one is a bit easier I think, but the buttons seem to be stuck on permanent rapid-fire.  Perhaps I should try to set the controller to 3 button mode... I just now though of that.  The text is easier to read in the Turbo version by far, and I prefer the softer sound effects on the Turbo as well.  The music is pretty much a draw right now.  The CD music is not impressive.  The Genesis definitely has better music in the first town.
I played them after one another back in the day and really liked both.

I love that style of graphics/shading, it really plays off the strength of the Genesis/Turbo's palette(nice vibrant colors). Playing them today with S-Video would probably reveal more differences, but I think I will just for the fun. :)

I don't remember how hard the Genesis version was, only that the Turbo version is ridiculously easy.

For years I thought that I had bad luck picking up broken Forgotten World Genesis carts, until I finally figured out that the 6 button pad was the problem. Of course two of the 4 or so carts turned out to really be broken anyway. :wink:
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

Joe Redifer

On the Turbo version of Exile I could not beat the first boss when I was on level 4.  On the Genesis I got my character up to level 5 and beat the first boss in 2 hits.

Ninja Spirit

Been going at the reset button on my NES trying to get past stage 1 on "Gun Nac" on Expert Difficulty with bullet ricochet turned on.

Quote from: guest on 08/12/2007, 09:58 PM
I don't remember how hard the Genesis version was, only that the Turbo version is ridiculously easy.
Genesis version is terribly easy too. I finished that shit in a day.

Joe Redifer

I'm playing through the Turbo version now and yeah, the music is definitely better.  I tried the Genesis version again in 3 button mode and that solved my rapid fire problem, but the battery seems to be worn out as all of my saves were gone.  The Genesis version has cuss words, but got rid of the religious elements.  Also the burning town from the Turbo version was replaced with a church?  Odd.

esteban

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 08/13/2007, 12:40 PMI'm playing through the Turbo version now and yeah, the music is definitely better.  I tried the Genesis version again in 3 button mode and that solved my rapid fire problem, but the battery seems to be worn out as all of my saves were gone.  The Genesis version has cuss words, but got rid of the religious elements.  Also the burning town from the Turbo version was replaced with a church?  Odd.
Hey, do they have hashish, cocaine and cannabis in the Genesis version? Or am I confusing things with Exile 2 (Wicked Phenomenon)?

I'd like to hear more Genny - TG-16 comparisons for Exile -- keep 'em coming. :)

Joe Redifer

No, but both version have hemp clothes.

I didn't play any Exile today, even though I meant to.  Instead I played the Bioshock demo on the Xbox360.  It's OK.  I really don't like FPS games.  I definitely will not be buying it.

Keranu

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 08/12/2007, 03:02 AMThe Genesis definitely has better music in the first town.
No way! That was one song that I definitely prefered way more in the Turbo version!

Quote from: JoeOn the Turbo version of Exile I could not beat the first boss when I was on level 4.  On the Genesis I got my character up to level 5 and beat the first boss in 2 hits.
Exile has some really strange difficulty balances. If you're at one level, a boss might take forever to beat and if you are just at like a level or two higher, a boss can be taken out in like one or two hits.
Quote from: TurboXray on 01/02/2014, 09:21 PMAdding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).
IMG
Click the banner to learn more about Alex Chiu and his "immortality rings"

Joe Redifer

Yeah, I noticed that.  Vic Ireland is awesome.  I bet he wears sunglasses at night.  I wish he would DEVELOP more games.

CrackTiger

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 08/14/2007, 07:57 PMYeah, I noticed that.  Vic Ireland is awesome.  I bet he wears sunglasses at night.  I wish he would DEVELOP more games.
Has he ever developed any games?
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

Joe Redifer

Yeah, didn't you know?  He worked for Working Designs where they DEVELOPED games like Cosmic Fantasy, Lunar and shit like that.  What a fantastic guy!

Keranu

WD is my all time favorite developer.
Quote from: TurboXray on 01/02/2014, 09:21 PMAdding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).
IMG

Joe Redifer

I am about to go play Exile some more.  Please be jealous of me as I am playing.

esteban

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 08/14/2007, 09:49 PMI am about to go play Exile some more.  Please be jealous of me as I am playing.
I am, because I don't have the Genny version of Exile (or Valis III, come to think of it). I want to play them side by side.

I also need to get the genny Lords of Thunder, and countless other titles. :)

termis

Nekketsu Legend Baseballer (the baseball RPG) - Been trying to complete this one.  So far... it's not all that great, but I'm a good 4/5 of the way through, so I'll just finish it off.

R-Type Complete.  Damn, bullet-hell shooters be damned - this game kicks my ass.

PCEngineHell

Last Resort,3 Count Bout,and Metal Slug 3 MVS.

CrackTiger

Since today is my one day off during the week right now, I went out and managed to track down a copy of Exile for Genesis locally(although I had to pay extra for the luxury).

I played through both games, clearing a stage/area on one version and then the other. I was surprised both by just how great the graphics are in the Turbo version(some of the best for Turbo/PCE) and by how big of a hit they took in the Genesis version. At least the Genesis version still uses the same artwork for almost everything and still looks nice.

I like the music in the Genesis version as much as or more than the Turbo's CD tunes(I'm partial to system generated music). I like how much of the cinemas are intact on the Genesis version too, even though I think that Valis III kept more.

Both versions have a tiny amount of flicker that only happens in a couple areas. When it happens on the Turbo version, part of it is from enemies that are off screen. The Genesis version had a floating pixel in front of Sandler's head in at least one area(forgot to keep track of it after that) and a glitchy flickering foreground piece in another. In the first dungeon on the bottom floor, part of the ground acts as foreground, even though it shouldn't, and cuts off the enemies. The PC Engine version glitches during fade in & outs. Frozen Utopia Beta testers will know what I'm talking about. :wink:

The biggest difference between the two is gameplay. The Turbo version pauses before jumping, to do the antic animation, while the Genesis version jumps almost instantly. I'd rather lose the frame of animation altogether if it meant quicker a response. The camera screws you over more on the Genesis version, getting the player stuck near the edge of the screen more often.

The Genesis version feels weird moving the player through the air during jumps. I tried the Mode button, but it makes no difference. The enemy layout is different and the Genesis version has many areas with fewer enemies, but lots of cheap placement. Like an archer standing in front of a door, so when you come back out you automatically take a hit.

The Genesis version is way easier overall(my memory had it backwards), but a couple bosses in particular are stupid difficult in the Turbo version. It took me forever to try to beat the bird boss. I went up a few levels and bought a ton of healing items and still couldn't kill it after what seemed like a half hour of constant hits using the best equipment. So I realized that there must be one more event to trigger to remove the boss's invincibility or something... three hits later he actually died.

So what happened when I tried it on the Genesis version with weaker equipment, several levels lower? It died in two hits. :dance:

Once it got late and I neared the end, I played only the Turbo version through the last few areas. Once I reached the final boss, it was the bird boss situation all over again. I maxed out my level, had the best equipment in the game and as many healing items as I could hold. I must've given him over a hundred hits each time before dying.

So on a hunch, I tried loading my save file with the PC Engine version(which has a cool Reno intro cinema). You'll never guess what happened... he died in like 6 hits. :wink: Wow. I like Working Designs' games and appreciate what they've contributed to the 'community' and everything, but they really wrecked some of their games with their difficulty 'fixes'.

I really appreciate WD taking Exile's localization seriously, except for a few lines. It just goes to show the great job they could do when not joking around and the difference it makes to games that aren't supposed to be pop cutlture or low-brow wacky.

I like how the third to last boss is Simon Belmont and the second to last boss is the final boss from Zelda II. :P

Both games kick ass and I can't recommend them enough. 8)

Kitsunexus

Varth from Capcom... ♥♥♥♥♥♥

Keranu

Awesome comparison, CrackTiger, thanks for all the info!

Quote from: Black PantherI was surprised both by just how great the graphics are in the Turbo version(some of the best for Turbo/PCE) and by how big of a hit they took in the Genesis version.
FINALLY someone who agrees with me on Exile's graphics! I always found Exile to have beautiful graphics! My favorite was always the waterfall that would appear in some places like the sewer place and later at the end with a bloody waterfall. I always loved the sprites (especially of people) in the 2D parts. It just looks extremely unique and fresh.
IMG

Kitsunexus

I grew up playing THIS Exile series... ∩_∩

Keranu

Quote from: Kitsunexus on 08/20/2007, 02:32 AMI grew up playing THIS Exile series... ∩_∩
I've always heard of those whenever I would do searches for the Turbo Exiles. I never knew anything about those games, but thanks for the link because they look pretty cool!
IMG

Joe Redifer

Last night I changed the battery in my Genesis Exile cart as my saves kept going away.  The battery had even started to leak.  Now I'll have to start over from the beginning for the 3rd time.  I was able to get up to level 17 (the highest you can go) and beat Exile on the Turbo fairly easily.  Only the last boss gave me any real challenge as I actually had to use a few healing things and some magic.  The MODE button on the Genesis does make the B button slightly less twitchy in the menus, so buying stuff will be less of a pain.  The stories are slightly different in the two versions, with the Turbo being about religion.  I agree that the Genesis version is easier.  I'm going to go play a bit more in  a few minutes.

CrackTiger

I never bothered to figure out the magic works. It wasn't until the final boss that I realized that I had it permanently set to restoration magic. :dance:

I just thought that the Genesis version had built-in turbo for the attack and was glad to have it. :wink: It was a little tricky navigating menus, but it had more to do with switching between versions for me.

esteban

Quote from: Keranu on 08/20/2007, 02:27 AMAwesome comparison, CrackTiger, thanks for all the info!
Yeah, excellent!

Joe Redifer

Yeah, you have to turn magic off for some reason.

One thing I don't like about the Turbo version is that on the map screen you have to select "Map" to go from town to town.  That's just an extra unnecessary step.  I wonder if WD added it to make the game seem 10x longer?

CrackTiger

I'm pretty sure that the map screen was also on the PCE version. I don't know if I mentioned it, but I wish that the Turbo version had the Warp spell. I don't know if it gets unlocked and I missed it or something, but it sure would've come in handy after barely defeated some of the cheaper bosses or during leveling runs.

Joe Redifer

The Warp spell is not in the Turbo version.  That's because WD made the game near-impossible.    Anyway, I finally finished Exile on the Sega Genesis™ last night.  Wow!  You can feel the Sega-ness in every pixel!

Does anyone have the PCE version of Exile 2?  Does your character walk extremely close to the edge of the screen, or is that a WD thing?  Popful Mail US Sega CD did the same thing.

CrackTiger

Quote from: Keranu on 08/20/2007, 02:27 AMAwesome comparison, Black_Tiger, thanks for all the info!

Quote from: Black PantherI was surprised both by just how great the graphics are in the Turbo version(some of the best for Turbo/PCE) and by how big of a hit they took in the Genesis version.
FINALLY someone who agrees with me on Exile's graphics! I always found Exile to have beautiful graphics! My favorite was always the waterfall that would appear in some places like the sewer place and later at the end with a bloody waterfall. I always loved the sprites (especially of people) in the 2D parts. It just looks extremely unique and fresh.
The sewers actually use a different effect than the bloody waterfalls, which use the Axelay trick. The first few bloody waterfalls are cool enough, but you then encounter some than pour down to the ground and over the next edge.

Its a nice touch since the actual graphics are great in the first place. :)

runinruder

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 08/21/2007, 07:32 PMDoes anyone have the PCE version of Exile 2?  Does your character walk extremely close to the edge of the screen, or is that a WD thing? 
Your character walks extremely close to the edge of the screen in the PCE version. 

I've played through the PCE versions of both games, and I don't particularly care for either of them.  Part 2 is so ridiculously linear and easy that it's practically pointless, while part 1 is simply mediocre and doesn't even come close to games like Blood Gear, Xanadu, and Ys III.  The only thing I really liked in either of them was the opening cinema in 2 because the characters look cool and the music rules. 
Wayback - thebrothersduomazov.com - Reviews of over 400 TurboGrafx-16/PC-Engine games

Keranu

Damn it, quit comparing Exile to other games like that! Exile is a great game in it's own right!  :mrgreen:
IMG

Joe Redifer

I like Exile better than Gran Turismo 3.  The graphics are much more colorful and the control is so much better.