How to ID a Sapphire fake

Started by Pfloydguy2, 03/02/2018, 11:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pfloydguy2

I'm hoping to buy Sapphire from a local brick & mortar shop.  I've gotten to know the owner very well over the past few years and I know he would never knowingly sell me a fake, but I want to be sure his copy of Sapphire is authentic before I buy it.

CrackTiger's website wayback.superpcenginegrafx.net/sapcomp1.html is ridiculously helpful.  But it only addresses the Care4data bootleg, and I know there have been several different runs of bootleg copies by different sellers.  I want to make sure there aren't other variants out there that I'm not aware of. 

I know the PCEworks versions are marked as such on the discs.  Is there anything else I need to watch out for?  I've searched topics here but can't seem to find anything in the past 10 years about this.

Counterfeit Sapphire Front
IMG
Counterfeit Sapphire BackIMG
RealFake
IMG IMG

Keith Courage

I thought the care 4 data and the newer pce Works version were the only ones.

tbone3969

Quote from: Keith Courage on 03/02/2018, 02:54 PMI thought the care 4 data and the newer pce Works version were the only ones.
I second this.  I just bought one for $720 that looks super legit.  I certainly hope there are no other fakes floating around.
"There's something out there in those trees and it ain't no man. We're all gonna die."

SignOfZeta

I'm not aware of any pirate PCE stuff that looks very convincing except for that earlier Sapphire boot, which, honestly, isn't going to fool someone for long if they've handled a lot of PCE games. Not if you're looking closely.

Is it sealed? I ask because reproducing the disc properly, to the point where it would fool someone using BT's guide, seems extremely unlikely.
IMG

NecroPhile

The only other ones I recall seeing are the inkjet printed cdrs, and no moderately intelligent person is going to think those are legitimate, not anyone looking to spend $$$$ on a single game anyway.

+1 on the seal.  If it's sealed, it's almost guaranteed to be a fake (or a reseal).
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

CrackTiger

The same guy keeps changing aliases. PCEWorks is just his latest.

I have one or two of the newer revisions and was buying some of his other bootlegs to make guides for them, but most people didn't care at first and soon valued bootlegs more than real copies.

If you're buying it in person there's nothing to worry about. All of his bootlegs look and feel nothing like real PCE games.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

seieienbu

I'm just curious:  how much is it and is it sealed?
Current want list:  Bomberman 93

Pfloydguy2

It's not sealed.  I wouldn't buy it if it was.  While I like sealed games for my collection, I can't justify a purchase this big if I can't even play it.  It's priced at $700.  He's had it in his shop for over a year, and recently he took it home to "cook" for a few years.  When I noticed it wasn't there anymore, I asked him about it and he brought it back to the store for me.  I don't like the idea of dropping $700 on one game, I just sold a handful of games that I've been sitting on, so I can justify it as if it's a trade.

I was only assuming there were several runs of bootlegs.  Looks like I worded that part of my last post poorly.  Reading through some of the older topics here, it seemed like there might be some EverAnime and Son May bootlegs too, plus multiple runs of the PCE Works ones.  If it's just the Care4data and PCE Works ones, I feel pretty confident I'll be buying a legit copy then.

Thanks so much for everyone's help!

CrackTiger

Everanime and PCEWorks are the same. care4data is the company that pressed them for a long time. I'd be surprised if that's changed. I've never heard of Son May making any kind of PCE bootlegs.

I sold a sealed copy of Sapphire within the past year for $500, which is what I paid for it after in kept getting relisted on ebay with a BIN for a year.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

MNKyDeth

*cough* It's no longer sealed. *cough*

However I always look at the center ring of all the discs. The HCD numbers I am unsure if they can reproduce but all TG16/PCE cd's have exact letters and numbers around the center of the disc.

seieienbu

Quote from: guest on 03/02/2018, 07:12 PMI sold a sealed copy of Sapphire within the past year for $500, which is what I paid for it after in kept getting relisted on ebay with a BIN for a year.
I'd be too worried to buy a Sapphire off of ebay, let alone a sealed copy.  If it had turned out to be a fake, what happens?

Quote from: MNKyDeth on 03/04/2018, 02:51 PM*cough* It's no longer sealed. *cough*
=D>
Current want list:  Bomberman 93

schweaty

Quote from: seieienbu on 03/04/2018, 03:13 PMI'd be too worried to buy a Sapphire off of ebay, let alone a sealed copy.  If it had turned out to be a fake, what happens?
Always pay with Paypal.  Open a dispute with ebay.  They almost always side with the buyer.  You will get refunded.

Gypsy

Bring a turd to the store with you and put it next to the Sapphire. If it's a bootleg, being associated with Tobias the disc will sprout arms and legs and try to go eat the shit.

Pfloydguy2

Quote from: Gypsy on 03/05/2018, 08:34 AMIf it's a bootleg, being associated with Tobias the disc will sprout arms and legs and try to go eat the shit.
:lol:

I bought it yesterday.  My collection has a new crown jewel.

tbone3969

"There's something out there in those trees and it ain't no man. We're all gonna die."

geise

My crown jewel is Spriggan.

Gypsy

Pfloydguy2

Quote from: geise on 03/22/2018, 03:10 PMMy crown jewel is Spriggan.
I would love to own Spriggan.  Hell, even that other Spriggan.

geise

It's not that expensive for the first one if you look outside ebay. LOL definitely not what you spent for Sapphire. However, Sapphire is fantastic and I am happy you were able to obtain a legit copy.

CrackTiger

Quote from: geise on 03/23/2018, 10:40 AMIt's not that expensive for the first one if you look outside ebay. LOL definitely not what you spent for Sapphire. However, Sapphire is fantastic and I am happy you were able to obtain a legit copy.
Legit PC Engine Spriggan is cheaper to buy than PCEWorks Sapphire and likely cheaper than PCEWorks Spriggan.

geise

Quote from: guest on 03/23/2018, 11:49 AM
Quote from: geise on 03/23/2018, 10:40 AMIt's not that expensive for the first one if you look outside ebay. LOL definitely not what you spent for Sapphire. However, Sapphire is fantastic and I am happy you were able to obtain a legit copy.
Legit PC Engine Spriggan is cheaper to buy than PCEWorks Sapphire and likely cheaper than PCEWorks Spriggan.
Woah!? When the hell did asshat do Spriggan? Damn the man has no shame. Neither do the FB groupies that think he's a swell guy doing the good lords work.

EDIT: Wow. So both spriggans, steam hearts and nexzr. I knew about Nexzr but didn't know he did the other 3 and threw them into a box set like everything else he does now. Man wtf is wrong with people and their money? Why give it to him? Not to mention take photos of your pickups of these bootlegs.

CrackTiger

tbone3969

Quote from: guest on 03/26/2018, 03:49 PMI was just talking based on collectard's preference for bootlegs.

Sure enough it's true:

https://m.ebay.com/itm/SEALED-Seirei-Senshi-Spriggan-for-PC-Engine-Turbografx-Turbo-DUO/182428673041?hash=item2a7998a411:g:qyYAAOSwopRYgn4P
I love how the instructions are perfectly placed to cover up the PCE logo.

geise

Don't forget Sealed but other pics are of it opened. I bet someone thought it was a legit version.

Gypsy

I report that seller all the time. Ebay doesn't care. Sad.

geise

Quote from: Gypsy on 03/26/2018, 04:50 PMI report that seller all the time. Ebay doesn't care. Sad.
Gotta get those seller fees...