Your Daily Dose of Gaming.

Started by Ninja Spirit, 07/15/2005, 01:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PCEngineHell

I like Exile more then most any original Sony PS1-2 exclusive.

Games played as of late.
Garou MOTW,KOF 2002, and Burning Fight. My MVS cart number is up to 40 with 2 being duplicates. I have 2 carts of KOF 99 and SNK vs Capcom Chaos.

esteban

Quote from: Keranu on 08/22/2007, 12:14 AMDamn it, quit comparing Exile to other games like that! Exile is a great game in it's own right!  :mrgreen:
Thank you! I don't think Exile is top-tier, but it is fun (I've only played the WD version).
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

Keranu

I've only played the TGCD and Genesis versions. From the sounds of it, I don't think I'd like the PCE version as much as the Turbo. They're fun, simple, straightforward games. Often times I prefer linear games over games that are indepth.
Quote from: TurboXray on 01/02/2014, 09:21 PMAdding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).
IMG
Click the banner to learn more about Alex Chiu and his "immortality rings"

Kitsunexus

:dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

GRADIUS COLLECTION FINALLY CAME IN TODAY!

:dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

My favorite SHMUP series on my favorite handheld!

This is like the BEST PSP game I've bought so far, arcade perfect and NO NEED TO UNLOCK THE EXTRAS! MUSIC GALLERY YES!

Also, let it be known that Gradius IV: Zakkutsu has the BEST Konami jingle screen EVER, I can't find a Youtube of it, but it has all these segemented polygons that rotate and conjoin to form the OLD COOL Konami logo.

So yeah, if I'm MIA, you know where I am.

^________________^
Forgive me, my brain is on par with the Bubble System.
THE CHEMICAL BROTHERS RULE!

Turbo D

ya, that game is pretty cool. I played it for hours when I first bought it.
Quote from: MissaFX on 01/06/2008, 12:10 PMMy idea of gaming is a couple of friends over, a couple of drinks, a couple of medical-handrolled-game-enhancing-cigs and a glowing box you all worship.
IMG IMG
IMG

CrackTiger

Quote from: runinruder on 08/21/2007, 10:18 PM
Quote from: Joe Redifer on 08/21/2007, 07:32 PMDoes anyone have the PCE version of Exile 2?  Does your character walk extremely close to the edge of the screen, or is that a WD thing? 
Your character walks extremely close to the edge of the screen in the PCE version. 

I've played through the PCE versions of both games, and I don't particularly care for either of them.  Part 2 is so ridiculously linear and easy that it's practically pointless, while part 1 is simply mediocre and doesn't even come close to games like Blood Gear, Xanadu, and Ys III.  The only thing I really liked in either of them was the opening cinema in 2 because the characters look cool and the music rules.   
If you compare every game to the best in their genre you won't find many you like. :wink:
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

runinruder

Quote from: guest on 08/23/2007, 08:41 AMIf you compare every game to the best in their genre you won't find many you like. :wink:
That's not a problem I have, thanks.
Wayback - thebrothersduomazov.com - Reviews of over 400 TurboGrafx-16/PC-Engine games

Joe Redifer

Yes it is, because Exile 1 and 2 rocks your world.  Now get off your duff and play some US games instead of just Japanese games.  They rock hardcore.  I betcha can't beat Wicked Phenomenon.  Betcha can't betcha can't betcha can't!

Keranu

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 08/23/2007, 06:48 PMYes it is, because Exile 1 and 2 rocks your world.  Now get off your duff and play some US games instead of just Japanese games.  They rock hardcore.  I betcha can't beat Wicked Phenomenon.  Betcha can't betcha can't betcha can't!
AMERICAN POWER! Unfortunately I'm pretty sure runin will breeze through Wicked Phenomenon :( .
Quote from: TurboXray on 01/02/2014, 09:21 PMAdding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).
IMG

Joe Redifer

Yeah, but let's see him doing it without leveling up (or as little as possible), no weapon or shield upgrades, no potions and taking NO HITS!

Keranu

IMG

GUTS

Anybody who can beat Astralius can probably beat any Turbo game.

Kitsunexus

I just got Raiden Trad for SNES yesterday, apparently, I'm the only person on the entire Internet that likes this port, but hell, I think it's AWESOME!  :dance:

Turbo D

I can beat any turbo game that is too hard.... with a stick  :wink:
Quote from: MissaFX on 01/06/2008, 12:10 PMMy idea of gaming is a couple of friends over, a couple of drinks, a couple of medical-handrolled-game-enhancing-cigs and a glowing box you all worship.
IMG IMG
IMG

Kitsunexus

Wow, since I'm the only one keeping this topic alive (and since nobody knows how to sticky a topic, apparently  :roll: ) here's what I got in the mail today.

Tekken: Dark Resurrection

Street Fighter Alpha 3 Max

Capcom Puzzle World

Ultimate Ghosts and Goblins

Now of course, this is very bad, because I have 4 brand new very awesome games, and I don't know which one to devote time to first! It's also bad because now I need a new case to hold more games.

The rest of my PSP collection is:

Gradius Collection

Sega Genesis Collection

Capcom Classics Collection

Bust - A - Move DX

Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops

What's left to get is:

Castlevania: The Dracula X Chronicles

Metal Slug Anthology

Carnage Heart Portable (I REALLY WANT THIS!)

Capcom Classics Collection Reloaded

Darkstalkers Chronicle: The Chaos Tower

Guilty Gear Judgment

Every Extend Extra

Taito Legends Power-Up

Disgaea: Afternoon Of Darkness

MediEvil Resurrection

Ridge Racer

Wipeout Pulse

Bomberman

Lumines

Sega Genesis Collection Volume 2 (if they make it)

Salamander Collection

Parodious Collection

Mega Man Powered Up

Mega Man Maverick Hunter X

Lemmings

Final Fantasy

Final Fantasy II

Final Fantasy Tactics: The War of The Lions

Ace Combat X: Skies of Deception

Monster Hunter Freedom 2

So as you can see, I have my work cut out for me.

CrackTiger

My copy of Exile MD showed up today. It took me a good 15 minutes to reach the burning crucifixes town, but sure enough its in there uncensored.

I'm pretty sure that the music is unique to this town too, so thats one more thing that got cut from the Genesis version.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

Joe Redifer

Damn Renovation for censoring my game!  Also be sure to check my Sega-16 Exile comparison this Friday.  We'll see if my burning town pic makes it into the feature.

Keranu

Nice, I'm looking forward to it!
IMG

esteban

So, in yet another moment of desperation, I plunked down a few $$$'s for Metal Slug 3 (Cellular, Verizon).

First impressions...

I have to say that the graphics on cellular games are friggin' nice. Seriously. Metal Slug 3 looks sweet, with many layers of parallax and some really nice, big sprites (bosses, + the occasional tank / plane).

Unfortunately, the same problem that plagues nearly all mobile games rears its ugly head: controls. I suppose that folks who are used to playing MAME with a keyboard will have no problem playing mobile games. Unfortunately, for everyone else, many cellular versions of games are poor imitations of the original game that inspired them.

Jump up AND shoot? (press 2, then 5)
Jump forward / backward? (press 2, followed quickly by 3/4)
Jump forward / backward AND shoot? (press 2, followed quickly by 3/4, followed quickly by 5)
Turn around and shoot? (press 4/6, followed quickly by 5)
Duck down, then turn around? Forget about it!

All of these basic maneuvers require a "keyboard shortcut" combination of buttons on the keypad (the direction pad is worthless, by the way). Simply turning around to slash someone is annoying, and then you have to go through the sequence again to turn back around.

You feel as if the cell phone is incapable of registering 2+ buttons being pressed simultaneously. Of course, pressing 2+ buttons simultaneously is a hallmark of video game mechanics.

I have already gotten pretty good playing Metal Slug 3 on my phone, despite the horrible controls. It plays like "Kung Fu" or "Vigilante" -- but with guns -- most of the time because I can't be bothered to jump up and explore the platforms unless a worthwhile power-up is there. 

I can't properly judge this game until I've spent more time with it. Stay tuned...

UPDATE: NEO GRADIUS (Cellular) Ha! So after playing Metal Slug 3, I'm appreciating Neo Gradius a lot more. I really like the "Score Attack" mode where you can unlock extra weapons. I don't give a damn about unlocking weapons (though I tend to use "double shot" a lot), but the minimum target scores you have to earn are set at a nice difficulty level, IMO. It's really addictive to just play this mode. In fact, I spend most of my time doing this since it is a shorter, self-contained mini-game.

I actually like some of the music in Neo Gradius, though I usually am not able to listen to it w/o annoying everyone else on the subway.

I've beaten Neo Gradius a few times,  but I have yet to play it on the highest difficulty level. Overall, despite the sloppy controls in this game, I have actually had a lot of fun playing it. The direction pad is glitchy at times (unresponsive), but it feels like a temporary hiccup in a "relatively smooth running game" * , unlike, say, Bonk's Return, which is impossible to play with the direction pad because the direction pad registers things inconsistently and prevents you from executing pixel-perfect jumps (that the keypad allows).

* I'm using the term "smoothly-running" loosely here. This is a mobile game, afterall. GUTS teases me for playing these cellular games, but I honestly don't want to buy/carry another electronic device with me. Playing on my phone is fun and convenient. The problem, of course, is finding a game that complements the cellular platform.
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

rag-time4

Quote from: esteban on 09/09/2007, 09:51 AMSo, in yet another moment of desperation, I plunked down a few $$$'s for Metal Slug 3 (Cellular, Verizon).

First impressions...

I have to say that the graphics on cellular games are friggin' nice. Seriously. Metal Slug 3 looks sweet, with many layers of parallax and some really nice, big sprites (bosses, + the occasional tank / plane).

Unfortunately, the same problem that plagues nearly all mobile games rears its ugly head: controls. I suppose that folks who are used to playing MAME with a keyboard will have no problem playing mobile games. Unfortunately, for everyone else, many cellular versions of games are poor imitations of the original game that inspired them.

Jump up AND shoot? (press 2, then 5)
Jump forward / backward? (press 2, followed quickly by 3/4)
Jump forward / backward AND shoot? (press 2, followed quickly by 3/4, followed quickly by 5)
Turn around and shoot? (press 4/6, followed quickly by 5)
Duck down, then turn around? Forget about it!

All of these basic maneuvers require a "keyboard shortcut" combination of buttons on the keypad (the direction pad is worthless, by the way). Simply turning around to slash someone is annoying, and then you have to go through the sequence again to turn back around.

You feel as if the cell phone is incapable of registering 2+ buttons being pressed simultaneously. Of course, pressing 2+ buttons simultaneously is a hallmark of video game mechanics.

I have already gotten pretty good playing Metal Slug 3 on my phone, despite the horrible controls. It plays like "Kung Fu" or "Vigilante" -- but with guns -- most of the time because I can't be bothered to jump up and explore the platforms unless a worthwhile power-up is there. 

I can't properly judge this game until I've spent more time with it. Stay tuned...

UPDATE: NEO GRADIUS (Cellular) Ha! So after playing Metal Slug 3, I'm appreciating Neo Gradius a lot more. I really like the "Score Attack" mode where you can unlock extra weapons. I don't give a damn about unlocking weapons (though I tend to use "double shot" a lot), but the minimum target scores you have to earn are set at a nice difficulty level, IMO. It's really addictive to just play this mode. In fact, I spend most of my time doing this since it is a shorter, self-contained mini-game.

I actually like some of the music in Neo Gradius, though I usually am not able to listen to it w/o annoying everyone else on the subway.

I've beaten Neo Gradius a few times,  but I have yet to play it on the highest difficulty level. Overall, despite the sloppy controls in this game, I have actually had a lot of fun playing it. The direction pad is glitchy at times (unresponsive), but it feels like a temporary hiccup in a "relatively smooth running game" * , unlike, say, Bonk's Return, which is impossible to play with the direction pad because the direction pad registers things inconsistently and prevents you from executing pixel-perfect jumps (that the keypad allows).

* I'm using the term "smoothly-running" loosely here. This is a mobile game, afterall. GUTS teases me for playing these cellular games, but I honestly don't want to buy/carry another electronic device with me. Playing on my phone is fun and convenient. The problem, of course, is finding a game that complements the cellular platform.
I've got a question...

Are any of Koei's classic strategy or RPG games available on cellular? (Nobunaga's Ambition, Romance of the Three Kingdoms, Uncharted Waters, etc)??

Keranu

Holy crap, Metal Slug 3 on a cellular telephone!? I'm surprised it didn't make your phone explode!
IMG

Ceti Alpha

A friend of mine from Armagetron and I were on Messenger talkin' video games and he sent me a link to Metal Slug 3. I don't know how I never heard of that game, but WOW.  :D That game looks awesome!!  =D> But for a mobile phone?!! Yipes!! I can't even imagine. lol
IMG
"Let the CAW and Mystery of a Journey Unlike Any Other Begin"

Turbo D

I can imagine it being laggy  :|
IMG IMG
IMG

Ninja Spirit

Last night knowing I still would'n't have access to my Castlevania III-J, I bought a Generation NEX out of desperation just to play this:
IMG

It was worth it. I couldn't be a sound quality Nazi anymore, so I'm enjoying this. Found a walkthru in Japanese, and translated it with Babelfish and actually understood the Engrish that BF brought up.

Joe Redifer

Last night I played through and beat Ys 3 for the SNES.  A couple days before that I played through and beat Ys 3 for the TurboGrafx-16 CD Entertainment Supersystem.  A few days before that I played through and beat Ys 3 for the Sega Genesis.

Turbo D

I beat Ys book 2 on the TurboDuo about an hour ago  :mrgreen:
IMG IMG
IMG

Ceti Alpha

QuoteI beat Ys book 2 on the TurboDuo about an hour ago  Mr. Green
Nice. I think I'm going to save my Y's I and II for the winter. There will be some snowed in days up here I'm sure. hehe RPGs are always great for passing time away during snow storms and the winter in general.
IMG

TR0N

Quote from: Ninja Spirit on 09/10/2007, 08:08 PMLast night knowing I still would'n't have access to my Castlevania III-J, I bought a Generation NEX out of desperation just to play this:
IMG

It was worth it. I couldn't be a sound quality Nazi anymore, so I'm enjoying this. Found a walkthru in Japanese, and translated it with Babelfish and actually understood the Engrish that BF brought up.
That title realy needs a walk-through btw hows the nex working for ya ?
IMG
PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

Keranu

Quote from: ceti alpha on 09/10/2007, 09:33 PM
QuoteI beat Ys book 2 on the TurboDuo about an hour ago  Mr. Green
Nice. I think I'm going to save my Y's I and II for the winter. There will be some snowed in days up here I'm sure. hehe RPGs are always great for passing time away during snow storms and the winter in general.
I love to beat Ys II on Thanksgiving since that was when I first beat it :) .
IMG

TR0N

Quote from: ceti alpha on 09/10/2007, 03:59 PMA friend of mine from Armagetron and I were on Messenger talkin' video games and he sent me a link to Metal Slug 3. I don't know how I never heard of that game, but WOW.  :D That game looks awesome!!  =D> But for a mobile phone?!! Yipes!! I can't even imagine. lol
You never herd of MS3 !? Wtf that's consider a classic from SNK.

Beside...being one of the best run'n'games ever made,next to the contra serise.

The game has had many ports as well beside being in the MSA.

There are also rumors it could end up on the XBAL as well.

As for myself i have it for the neogeo i can it play any time i want to.
IMG

Kitsunexus

Even the "Average Joe" (not our Joe) thinks that the NEX is shit...

If you ain't skilled enough to install a gold-plated pin connector, emulate. It's the ONLY way to get great quality otherwise.

Joe Redifer

Quote from: KitsunexusEven the "Average Joe" (not our Joe) thinks that the NEX is shit...
Of course not, since I'm not average!   :-({|=  But anyway I'm not a fan of NES clones.  Somehow my original NES still works fine.  I found it in a thrift store for super cheap!  I wonder if the previous owner just never used it, as it was in mint condition.

Digi.k

wheeeee finally got my 360 back from repairs.. strange thing was that the fault this time was the DVD drive but the letter I got back with the 360 said otherwise...

Anyway after waiting a while finally playing my Blue Dragon ^____^

IMG

Ceti Alpha

QuoteYou never herd of MS3 !? Wtf that's consider a classic from SNK.
You know what? It does sound somewhat familiar now that I think about it. It's just that the NeoGeo was just so out of reach for me when I was younger that I think I didn't pay attention to it too much. hehe. But one of the arcades here had a couple NeoGeo machines. I remember a shmup, Final Fight (or some fighting game like it), and Cyber-Lip. That first boss on Cyber-Lip gave me the creeps. haha. That shreek/sound it let out at you?  :shock:
IMG

TR0N

Quote from: ceti alpha on 09/11/2007, 09:06 AM
QuoteYou never herd of MS3 !? Wtf that's consider a classic from SNK.
You know what? It does sound somewhat familiar now that I think about it. It's just that the NeoGeo was just so out of reach for me when I was younger that I think I didn't pay attention to it too much. hehe. But one of the arcades here had a couple NeoGeo machines. I remember a shmup, Final Fight (or some fighting game like it), and Cyber-Lip. That first boss on Cyber-Lip gave me the creeps. haha. That shreek/sound it let out at you?  :shock:
Befor your time huh well i was surpise you never herd of it.Given how the ms serise has more exposure now then it did then.Of corse the scene for the,NeoGeo during the 90's wasn't too good for that time frame.Arcades in the late 90's for some reason were not too inerested in carrying them.Plus you had to be lucky to know some,body that had a AES.

Still at least these days owning one isn't..impossible it doesn't matter what the choice is either to what ya pick AES,NGCD etc.Heck even a MVS can be used at "home" either by running 'it through a supergun or haveing the board consolized.

As for cyper-lip i don't find it (creepy or scarey) just down right cheesey.

The game offen get's the nickname poor mans metalslug but i like it.

I recomend it most of the time any body who's getting a neogeo.

Btw if ya never seen these videos they give ya a quick history lesson on SNK.
The Rise and fall of SNK
Part 1
Part 2
IMG

Turbo D

After hearing of Joe's success in beating Ys 3, I took on the challenge today and beat it for myself  :mrgreen: It was a lot easier than book 1 and 2. I enjoyed it a lot, its a good series.
IMG IMG
IMG

Ceti Alpha

QuoteBefore your time huh well i was surpise you never herd of it.
Well, I never said before my time. Sorry, let me clarify.  :) I said that the NeoGeo was "out of reach", meaning that I couldn't afford it. Hell, I couldn't even afford the Turbo Duo. hehe.

QuoteAs for cyper-lip i don't find it (creepy or scarey) just down right cheesey.
Well, I wasn't trying to say that Cyber-Lip was scary or creepy like say Alien/Aliens, Dawn of the Dead, or 28 Days Later were scary. I was just saying that the boss on level 1 was creepy. Now there is a FINE line between scary and cheesy so that's really up to the individual to decide.  :) As for the game play of Cyber-Lip? It's pretty terrible. I don't really have the patience to finish that game.
IMG

PCEngineHell

If you cant handle Cyber-Lip then you prob cant handle the Metal Slugs,they pretty much play the same.

Kitsunexus

Quote from: ceti alpha on 09/11/2007, 11:41 PMWell, I wasn't trying to say that Cyber-Lip was scary or creepy like say Alien/Aliens, Dawn of the Dead, or 28 Days Later were scary.
I actually thought the ending to Cyber-Lip was kind of sad. Poor Cyber-Lip.  :cry:

Turbo D

the ending of Fantasy Zone is sad too  :(
IMG IMG
IMG

Kitsunexus

Quote from: turbo D on 09/11/2007, 11:52 PMthe ending of Fantasy Zone is sad too  :(
And the ending of Klonoa. And the ending of Ecco 2 (well, the ending they bothered to translate).

TR0N

Quote from: Kitsunexus on 09/11/2007, 11:51 PM
Quote from: ceti alpha on 09/11/2007, 11:41 PMWell, I wasn't trying to say that Cyber-Lip was scary or creepy like say Alien/Aliens, Dawn of the Dead, or 28 Days Later were scary.
I actually thought the ending to Cyber-Lip was kind of sad. Poor Cyber-Lip.  :cry:
I thought that as well then...it gives ya ending that makes ya think to be continue.

Cyber-lip realy could use a sequel and the ms serise needs a rest....
IMG

PCEngineHell

Agreed,they shoulda done more with Cyber-lip.

Keranu

Socket for Genesis had a sad ending :( . If you can manage to play through the crappy game, you get rewarded with a pretty damn good ending.
IMG

GUTS

Klonoa does have one of the saddest but best endings ever in a video game, man I was so depressed after beating it.  It sucks the sequel didn't have as good of a story and basically pretty much ignored that the first one ever happened.

Ninja Spirit

Quote from: TRON on 09/10/2007, 09:40 PM
Quote from: Ninja Spirit on 09/10/2007, 08:08 PMLast night knowing I still would'n't have access to my Castlevania III-J, I bought a Generation NEX out of desperation just to play this:
IMG

That title realy needs a walk-through btw hows the nex working for ya ?
I may more likely be the one to make it happen as a matter of fact.

Here's the link to the walkthrough
http://rko.jp/lagrange_point/

My job then is to paraphrase the Engrish.

Turbo D

Just beat Exile turbo cd  :mrgreen: what a fun and easy game
IMG IMG
IMG

Joe Redifer

An easy game can't be fun!  What are you thinking/!  Only hard games are fun, like Ninja Gaiden Xbox!!!!!!!!!!!!!  (Kidding, of course)

Anyway I'm working through Super Metroid now.

Turbo D

did you ever beat wicked phenomenon? that game is really tough! If you did, tell me your secrets  :wink:
IMG IMG
IMG

Joe Redifer

I got really close, but the game wasn't fun enough to make me keep trying, so I put it away.  There's challenging, and then there's hard.  They're completely different.  Hard is lame.  Challenging is great and makes you want to keep trying..  Exile 2 is hard.