@GTV reviews the Cosmic Fantasy 1-2 Switch collection by Edia, provides examples of the poor English editing/localization work. It's much worse for CF1. Rated "D" for disappointment, finding that TurboGrafx CF2 is better & while CF1's the real draw, Edia screwed it up...
Main Menu

PC Engine Screen-shot quiz

Started by Tatsujin, 12/24/2006, 11:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rag-time4

Quote from: turbo D on 09/18/2007, 05:37 PM:o wow, it even says it on the hucard in plain engrish. I guess Covell needs to learn to read  :lol:
LOL!

:lol:

I think Chris is right! The last furigana character is "do".... However, the font used for the game title is difficult to read because it is so artsy. I think if you look closely the V and the D are a little different.

I just posted the auction because the seller also spelled the name wrong  :mrgreen:

If you look on ebay, there is one volfiev and a bunch of volfieds.

CrackTiger

Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

ccovell

Keranu

Wow, this is a tough call. VolfieV or VolfieD?
Quote from: TurboXray on 01/02/2014, 09:21 PMAdding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).
IMG
Click the banner to learn more about Alex Chiu and his "immortality rings"

CrackTiger

Quote from: ccovell on 09/18/2007, 11:06 PMTurbographixs-16   :wink:
I actually recently found the EGM with the Lords Of Thunder Sega-CD review and one of the losers(awful reviews) actually spelled it like that.

As soon as I saw it I thought "that's got to be the worst spelling of TurboGrafx-16 that I've ever seen". :P

I mean, I can see spelling it with 'ph' in stead of 'f', but to still use 'ix' instead of just 'x', all in the same instance, when you're a professional video game journalist working for the biggest gaming magazine during the height of the 16-bit generation? :roll:

Quote from: Keranu on 09/19/2007, 01:19 AMWow, this is a tough call. VolfieV or VolfieD?
VolfieV is definitely cooler and is how it should be spelled in english, but we can still pronounce it "Volfied". :wink:
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

M1Savage

On the PC Enigine Catalog page for the game, it's spelled Volfied EXCEPT in the game cheats section where they have it listed as Volfiev.  #-o

Kind of like Jantei Monogatari 3 Saber Angel when it is clearly spelled Saver Angels throughout the game.  8-[

m1sz1.com/pics/whip.png

NecroPhile

Quote from: m1savage on 09/19/2007, 09:10 AMKind of like Jantei Monogatari 3 Saber Angel when it is clearly spelled Saver Angels throughout the game.  8-[
The 'b' is for boobies, I think.  :-k

So ccovell, has anyone guessed it yet or can we have a hint?  :lol:
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

ccovell

Of course, noone has guessed it yet.  A hint?

It's not Volfied.

_Paul

Quote from: Keranu on 09/19/2007, 01:19 AMWow, this is a tough call. VolfieV or VolfieD?
About as tough as a melted marshmallow

IMG

What was this thread about again?

rag-time4

Quote from: guest on 09/19/2007, 12:47 PM

dbzero.org/gamefiles/volfied1.png

What's that little yellow bit under where it says VolfieV?

I'm starting to think it actually might be volfiev, and somehow the correct title just got lost in translation...

Keranu

Quote from: sunteamAbout as tough as a melted marshmallow
I know it looks like the title says VolfieV, but ragtime made a good point earlier and mentioned how the letter at the end could be a capital D. I suppose another option could be "DolfieD".

Quote from: rag-time4 on 09/19/2007, 03:24 PM
Quote from: guest on 09/19/2007, 12:47 PM

dbzero.org/gamefiles/volfied1.png

What's that little yellow bit under where it says VolfieV?

I'm starting to think it actually might be volfiev, and somehow the correct title just got lost in translation...
HAHAHA, the investigation goes deeper! That's hilarious that it says VOLFIED in small yellow text below the title! Arr this is a case that needs solved!
Quote from: TurboXray on 01/02/2014, 09:21 PMAdding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).
IMG

Turbo D

I think that the idiots who created it couldn't make up their minds  :x
Quote from: MissaFX on 01/06/2008, 12:10 PMMy idea of gaming is a couple of friends over, a couple of drinks, a couple of medical-handrolled-game-enhancing-cigs and a glowing box you all worship.
IMG IMG
IMG

NecroPhile

Doesn't small text below a title indicate a subtitle?  So the correct title would be Volfiev: The Quest of Volfied, or some such shit.

Turbo D

I would believe so, especially in this case.  :-k
Quote from: MissaFX on 01/06/2008, 12:10 PMMy idea of gaming is a couple of friends over, a couple of drinks, a couple of medical-handrolled-game-enhancing-cigs and a glowing box you all worship.
IMG IMG
IMG

Joe Redifer

Quote from: KeranuHAHAHA, the investigation goes deeper! That's hilarious that it says VOLFIED in small yellow text below the title! Arr this is a case that needs solved!
Well, it is Japanese.  They are extremely inept with the English language.  They could have meant a D or a V.  You never know with those guys.

ccovell

You guys are idiots.    :roll:

Volfied isn't even English.  It's a name.  They get artistic with their title designs and it's us that get confused?  #-o

Keranu

It's not our fault that the artist can't spell/write worth shit!  :mrgreen:
IMG

Joe Redifer

It uses our letters which we invented and licensed to the British so they could use them, too.

ccovell

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 09/19/2007, 11:54 PMIt uses our letters which we invented and licensed to the British so they could use them, too.
WeOur?

You never told me you were ancient Greek/Roman.

Keranu

Ahh, I love the royal use of we and our :) .
IMG

Joe Redifer

Quote from: ccovellYou never told me you were ancient Greek/Roman.
Those guys suck.  They illegally pirated our letters and tried to claim credit!  But that was back before we invented copy protection.

_Paul

IMG

What you clearly aren't taking into account is the Japanese style of reading from right to left.
Therefore, it can be easily concluded that the title is in fact VEIFLOD.

rag-time4

Quote from: ccovell on 09/19/2007, 07:06 PMYou guys are idiots.    :roll:

Volfied isn't even English.  It's a name.  They get artistic with their title designs and it's us that get confused?  #-o
I don't feel confused.... nor am I convinced that the title is really Volfied. [-(

Keranu

Quote from: guest on 09/20/2007, 10:47 AMdbzero.org/gamefiles/volfied1.png

What you clearly aren't taking into account is the Japanese style of reading from right to left.
Very interesting and possible! However I should point out that it looks like the little ship on the title screen is moving from left-to-right, which might indicate that it's read as "Volfied". On the other hand, it could be that the ship is simply shooting a laser from the right-to-left which gives further proof to your backwards theory.
IMG

Kitsunexus

Volfied would be a GREAT name for a Welsh Corgi!

IMG

emilydavidow.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2006/11/_vi_bebLZfd1Ulc_2.jpg

IMG

istockphoto.com/file_thumbview_approve/2969899/2/istockphoto_2969899_pembroke_welsh_corgi_v_2.jpg

That does it, if I EVER get a Welsh Corgi, I'm naming him Volfied. It's a lot better than those weeaboo naming him Ein.
Forgive me, my brain is on par with the Bubble System.
THE CHEMICAL BROTHERS RULE!

Turbo D

wow, that dog lo0ks like my chiwawa, haha. he must be mixed with it  :-k
IMG IMG
IMG

ccovell

Quote from: guest on 09/20/2007, 10:47 AMdbzero.org/gamefiles/volfied1.png

That was pre-WWII.

spenoza

Except that right to left, while not standard any more, is still accepted, I believe.

Keranu

Quote from: guest on 09/21/2007, 03:47 PMExcept that right to left, while not standard any more, is still accepted, I believe.
Yep, so maybe VolfieD (or DeifloV) was just trying to be traditional ;) .

This case will never end!
IMG

spenoza

But what if it's VeifloV?

Keranu

Quote from: guest on 09/21/2007, 07:54 PMBut what if it's VeifloV?
Then it's VeilfloV. However we still can't confirm what it is.
IMG

Joe Redifer

rag-time4

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 09/21/2007, 09:42 PMSomebody call Taito!
I wouldn't trust the youngsters that are pobably working there these days. What do they know about Volfiev anyway? It's nearly 20 years old!

spenoza

Well, now that Taito is owned by Squeenix, who knows what they'd know.

Joe Redifer

OK OK here's another solution:  Beat the game, write down each name in the credits.  Look them up in the phone book and call each one of them and ask.

_Paul

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 09/21/2007, 11:31 PMOK OK here's another solution:  Beat the game, write down each name in the credits.  Look them up in the phone book and call each one of them and ask.
I already did that and they claimed it was "Voorufeedoh" which, quite frankly, is ridiculous.

spenoza

Considering I don't know a single Japanese person who can pronounce a "V" sound to save their life, your results are fairly impressive. Which means the whole "Volfied" or whatever thing is crap, since the Japanese think "V" is pronounced "bvwii".

esteban

Getting back on track, is the screenshot is from Volfiev?
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

rag-time4

Quote from: esteban on 09/22/2007, 11:14 AMGetting back on track, is the screenshot is from Volfiev?
Well Chris said it wasn't volfied, but he didn't say anything about volfiev...  :-k

ccovell

Quote from: esteban on 09/22/2007, 11:14 AMGetting back on track, is the screenshot is from Volfiev?
Don't be ridiculous!   :roll:

Ceti Alpha

IMG
"Let the CAW and Mystery of a Journey Unlike Any Other Begin"

spenoza

Uh... Can you post the pic again to get us back on track?

NecroPhile

Quote from: guest on 09/24/2007, 08:38 AMUh... Can you post the pic again to get us back on track?
Holy Jeebus!  Can you get any lazier?  Here's Mr. Covell's entry:

IMG

I'll guess Soldier Blade, but that blue background doesn't ring a bell.  :-k

spenoza

You know, I'm just too lazy... Can somebody guess for me? I can't be bothered to think of a good guess  ;)

_Paul

Quote from: guest on 09/24/2007, 12:33 PMYou know, I'm just too lazy... Can somebody guess for me? I can't be bothered to think of a good guess  ;)
OK, your guess is Chibi Maruko-chan.

spenoza

You know, that's great! That's just what I was thinking I was going to guess. It's like you could read my mind.

The famous TV series it is!    ;)

ccovell

_Paul

You seriously need to give us a clue or expand the screenie a bit.

Ceti Alpha

QuoteYou seriously need to give us a clue or expand the screenie a bit.
Agreed.  ](*,) Screenshots should start off small and get bigger everyday if no one guesses the answer.
IMG
"Let the CAW and Mystery of a Journey Unlike Any Other Begin"

NecroPhile

Come on Mr. Covell, throw us a frickin' bone here.  Isn't three weeks long enough for you to take pity on us?

I'll throw a new guess out.  Is it Volfiev?  :twisted: