@GTV reviews the Cosmic Fantasy 1-2 Switch collection by Edia, provides examples of the poor English editing/localization work. It's much worse for CF1. Rated "D" for disappointment, finding that TurboGrafx CF2 is better & while CF1's the real draw, Edia screwed it up...
Main Menu

Post your game related artwork (probably not 56k friendly, you've been warned)

Started by Joe Redifer, 09/22/2007, 10:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe Redifer

I posted some of these over at Sega-16, and I figured I'd start a similar thread here to share all of the game-related artwork I have done and to see what other people have (hopefully) done.

Here are some drawings I did of Sonic shortly after he first came out.  These Sonic drawings are all a bit water damaged and also very large.  I had to scan them in 4 passes each and then reassemble them which is harder than it sounds since the drawings can't lay perfectly flat on the scanner as a result of their size.  All drawings were inked and then finished with thick colored pencils. 

sonic.jpg
This is basically just the box cover for Sonic the Hedgehog.  I like my style better, though.

sonicpowerplay.jpg
I did a variation on the cover for a game store called Power Play Games.  This hung on their front door for well over a year.  They were where I rented all of my Japanese Mega Drive games loooong before they came out in the US.

SonicCD.jpg
Here's one I drew when I was anticipating the release of Sonic CD.  The Sega CD logo at the bottom sucks because I do not draw the Copperplate Gothic Bold font very well.  Why I made it green, grey and orange is beyond my current comprehension.

Here's the non-Sonic stuff:

GhoulsGhosts.jpg
Ghouls 'n Ghosts - This one bothers me since it is a cutout placed on a black board.  I guess it looks alright, though.

ThunderForce3.jpg
Thunder Force 3 - Based on the Japanese box (which is nearly identical to the US box) at the time of its release.

ThunderForce4.jpg
Thunder Force 4 - This one is alright, but it bothers me because it isn't symmetrical.

And now for the black and white stuff, all done with a mechanical pencil:

Shinobi.jpg
Shinobi - I like ninjas.

RevengeofShinobi.jpg
Revenge of Shinobi - Yeah.

ShadowDancer.jpg
Shadow Dancer - I really like this one a lot... except for the hands.

YsBookI+II.jpg
https://www.instagram.com/p/BakJNVjll61/
Ys Book 1 & 2 - The face bothers me quite a bit.  I was not very adept at drawing the female form at the time.

DraculaX.jpg
Dracula X - Here is a gigantic drawing of Dracula X that I never finished.  4 passes with the scanner weren't enough... I'd probably need 9 passes to get it all.  I'll likely never finish this drawing, but here it is anyway.

nat

The only game-related stuff I've ever drawn was a piece of paper I did in 1988 shortly after I got Super Mario Bros 2. I drew all the characters and made up my own names for them. I'm a really lousy drawer.

I'll scan it and post it up later.
Wayback - thebrothersduomazov.com - Reviews of over 400 TurboGrafx-16/PC-Engine games

Turbo D

Quote from: MissaFX on 01/06/2008, 12:10 PMMy idea of gaming is a couple of friends over, a couple of drinks, a couple of medical-handrolled-game-enhancing-cigs and a glowing box you all worship.
IMG IMG
IMG

Keranu

Great thread and great artwork!

Me and my bro used to redraw Sonic covers all the time back in the early 90's! One time when my bro beat the game (the first one), he paused it on the screen during the ending where Sonic jumps at the screen and placed wax paper over the TV so he could sketch it :D .

Unfortunately I don't think I have any old video game artwork laying around still, so maybe I'll draw some new stuff. I did send Aaron a money order once and I drew Air Zonk on the envelope! (I wonder if he kept it :) .

CrackTiger has showed me his video game artwork before, so he'll probably post them here soon :) .
Quote from: TurboXray on 01/02/2014, 09:21 PMAdding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).
IMG
Click the banner to learn more about Alex Chiu and his "immortality rings"

Turbo D

BlackTiger prefers his art permanently inked into his skin  :wink:
Quote from: MissaFX on 01/06/2008, 12:10 PMMy idea of gaming is a couple of friends over, a couple of drinks, a couple of medical-handrolled-game-enhancing-cigs and a glowing box you all worship.
IMG IMG
IMG

Kitsunexus

Joe, I don't think any other words than "Holy shit!" would describe what I'm thinking right now. Awesome AWESOME work. You are very talented! ^_^
Forgive me, my brain is on par with the Bubble System.
THE CHEMICAL BROTHERS RULE!

PCEngineHell

No game art here,so a quick 20 min TMNT doodle with a Bic pen will have to do.
/tmntdoodle.jpg

Turbo D

IMG IMG
IMG

PCEngineHell

Turbo D

IMG IMG
IMG

CrackTiger

I've got a bunch of old game related art on this page-

wayback.superpcenginegrafx.com/superpcengineart1.html

I actually recently found some more old game art that I've been meaning to add, but still haven't gotten around to scanning.

Here's some of the old old art-

art_kabuki.jpg
art_demonicus.jpg
art_aeroblasters.jpg
art_ffvi_setzer2.jpg
art_ffvi.jpg
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

Keranu

Gotta love those fleshy scars on Setzer (was this his name?). ;)
Quote from: TurboXray on 01/02/2014, 09:21 PMAdding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).
IMG

Turbo D

IMG IMG
IMG

NecroPhile

Nice artwork y'all!  =D>

One question for Joe: how did Michael Jackson sneak into your Ys drawing.  :lol:
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

PCEngineFX

Quote from: Keranu on 09/23/2007, 12:45 AMUnfortunately I don't think I have any old video game artwork laying around still, so maybe I'll draw some new stuff. I did send Aaron a money order once and I drew Air Zonk on the envelope! (I wonder if he kept it :) .
I did notice that Zonk you drew on the envelope!  Was a nice surprise....I probably still have it around here somewhere....
// Aaron Nanto | The Ultimate Resource for NEC Console Information!
Papa PCEFX 1997-2020 [Retired]
IMG
IMG

Joe Redifer

Quote from: guestNice artwork y'all!  =D>

One question for Joe: how did Michael Jackson sneak into your Ys drawing.  :lol:
LOL!  I was trying to predict what he would look like in teh future!  That one really bugs me, but I had to post it... it's Ys!

Ceti Alpha

Yeah, nice artwork Joe!  =D> Nicely done.

Same for black_tiger.  :) By the way B_T, is the third picture down a drawing of the boss from the second level of Aero Blasters?  :-k
IMG
"Let the CAW and Mystery of a Journey Unlike Any Other Begin"

Keranu

Quote from: ceti alpha on 09/24/2007, 10:44 PMBy the way B_T, is the third picture down a drawing of the boss from the second level of Aero Blasters?  :-k
Yep!
IMG

esteban

I wish I still had this one. My brother sent it to a magazine for a contest. I'd frame it and display it proudly in my home if I could. Unfortunately, the only surviving picture (on the left) really doesn't do it justice:

home.comcast .net/~michael_krawczuk/mikeim/megas.jpg
home.comcast .net/~michael_krawczuk/mikeim/megasTGCD.jpg

Emperor Megas (1992) Dried Pasta, Glue & Acrylic on Paper. My brother was 13 at the time. Screenshot on right.

Yes, there were thousands of pieces of pasta glued on the page, then he painted the pasta.

If you look closely, you can see the unpainted spaghetti and macaroni. :)
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

Keranu

Ahh, I remember when you posted that before. A classic! Didn't you make a Space Harrier art piece as well with cut out layers?
IMG

nat

Quote from: Keranu on 09/29/2007, 01:47 AMDidn't you make a Space Harrier art piece as well with cut out layers?
I require that this be posted up promptly.
Wayback - thebrothersduomazov.com - Reviews of over 400 TurboGrafx-16/PC-Engine games

Turbo D

IMG IMG
IMG

Digi.k

I saw some of the art work here and the ones that have been removed well they were pretty impressive and the ones still up are pretty impressive.. again due to having some personal problems I wasn't able to reply back then when this thread was fresh but I guess better late than never..I gonna add my 2 cents..

Early sonic pic in 1992 mostly in felt tip pens and pencils
/sonic.jpg

early 1992 pic
/bellswhistles.jpg

I actually drew a few characters on seperate sheets and then cutting them up and pasting them together to make this pic..
/streetfighter2.jpg

Coronya on the NES.. someone I knew had a fetish for this character and it was one of the first pics where I came to grips with photoshop and layering
/coronya-1.jpg

My TaruTaru back then when I was really addicted to FFXI... wow wasted 4 months on that crap game..
/tarume-1.jpg

The 2nd Darkstalkers pic I've done.
/darkstalkersnew-1.jpg

This pic is pretty recent took about 5 mins to sketch.. If i got the time I might touch up on the outlining and maybe do some pshop to it but I'm pretty busy with legal shit right now.. >.>
/magicalchase.jpg

CrackTiger

Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

nat

NecroPhile

Good looking work there, Digi.k.  =D>

Quote from: nat on 04/10/2008, 08:48 PMwow, digi.k has some serious hand talent
Why is my mind always in the gutter?  :lol:
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

esteban

roflmao

Necro-post time!  I thought I had seen a thread similar to this not too long ago, but I couldn't find it in search, so there. :P

I recently picked up a Gocco Printing system and after some noodling, I managed to come up with my first print.

CouragePrint.jpg

I actually made this a month or two back, but just got around to taking picures of it.  It's still a little out of focus, but I don't feel like digging out any additional lighting right now. :)

munchiaz

esteban

roflmao

Thanks!  :D I have a vision of creating a series of famous mascots from the 8 and 16 bit days (throwing in some Nintendo and Sega love as well), but I'm facing an impending move so I don't know if I'll tackle any of it before it all gets packed up.