Which Transformer was your favorite?

Started by runinruder, 11/02/2007, 09:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

runinruder

I've gotta go with Cyclonus.  He was the most intelligent and sinister of the Decepticons, a brilliant and fearless warrior.  He repeatedly kicked the crap out of that chump, Ultra Magnus.  His ship form was the coolest ship form in anything, ever.  Perhaps his only downfall was that he had so much integrity that he always remained loyal to that maniac, Galvatron.  We all know he should've beaten the shit out of Galvatron and led the Decepticons himself; they would've defeated the Autobots without question.  Most of the Transformers merchandise that I had as a little kid is now just a distant memory, but I still own a Cyclonus figure. 

If I had to choose a favorite Autobot, I'd pick Red Alert.  I loved that episode where he went crazy and teamed up with Starscream before beating him down at the end.  It's too bad he didn't get more screen time.

As far as comics go (I read the first few way back in the day), Shockwave was a complete badass, tossing Megatron around like a ragdoll and capturing the severed head of Optimus Prime.  Man, those early Transformers comics ruled.
Wayback - thebrothersduomazov.com - Reviews of over 400 TurboGrafx-16/PC-Engine games

Ceti Alpha

Yeah Shockwave was awesome. Shockwave and Soundwave were completely loyal, but you knew they were somehow smarter than Megatron.

I didn't really get into the 2nd Generation characters, though I did watch all the post-movie cartoons when they came out as a kid. Rodimus Prime just didn't cut it.  [-X

So Decepticons:

Shockwave
Soundwave
Starscream (annoying but funny)

AutoBots:

Optimus Prime (c'mon. obvious but true)
Ultra Magnus (Just one of the coolest toys ever)
Jet Fire (toy) or Sky Fire (cartoon) - the toy was just a Robotech rip off, which is what was so cool about it.  :D
Perceptor was cool too.
Grimlock

I know I'm forgetting a bunch here but whatever. I'm sure other people will bring up the ones I forgot.  :)
IMG
"Let the CAW and Mystery of a Journey Unlike Any Other Begin"

runinruder

Quote from: ceti alpha on 11/02/2007, 11:35 AMI didn't really get into the 2nd Generation characters, though I did watch all the post-movie cartoons when they came out as a kid. Rodimus Prime just didn't cut it.  [-X
I liked Cyclonus, the new music, and some of the parts where they further explored the history of the Transformers in the post-movie episodes.  But I agree on Rodimus.

I think my least-favorite episodes were the earliest ones. 

QuoteUltra Magnus (Just one of the coolest toys ever)
I remember buying that toy before knowing who the hell Magnus was.  Wasn't it like a white Optimus Prime with a head and a bunch of red and blue pieces to stick on it?

I really hated Magnus in the movie.  "I CAN'T DEAL WITH THAT NOW!"  The scene where the Sweeps annihilate him is AWESOME.  Wreck-Gar and crew should've left him in pieces.
Wayback - thebrothersduomazov.com - Reviews of over 400 TurboGrafx-16/PC-Engine games

Ceti Alpha

QuoteI remember buying that toy before knowing who the hell Magnus was.  Wasn't it like a white Optimus Prime with a head and a bunch of red and blue pieces to stick on it?
That's the one.  :) It was just cool to have a white Optimus Prime. hehe

QuoteI really hated Magnus in the movie.  "I CAN'T DEAL WITH THAT NOW!"  The scene where the Sweeps annihilate him is AWESOME.  Wreck-Gar and crew should've left him in pieces.
Yeah, the really handled the new leadership wrong in that movie. Which is really the only thing I didn't like about that movie. Hot Rod was a good character and it would have been nice to just keep him as that character. They went out of their way to make Magnus seem incompetent.  :( The fact is that no one could have measured up to Optimus so we would have been disappointed regardless.

QuoteI think my least-favorite episodes were the earliest ones.
Yeah, I liked seeing the Cybertron versions of the Transformers (were there ever any toy versions of these?). Bumblebee was particularly cool, as was Wheeljack. But the series was at its peak in the 3rd season or around there anyways.
IMG

nat

I've never been into Transformers too much. But from what I know of them, I like Bumblebee the best.

NecroPhile

My Transformers knowledge is limited, but my favorite one is Megatron.  Ya just can't beat a giant, nuclear-powered cannon
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

guyjin

GUTS

Starscream was the most interesting character to me, the dynamic between him and Megatron was always awesome and hilarious.  Too many good characters though to pick a favorite, I'll say that Blaster was easily my least favorite.

JoshTurboTrollX

Jossshhhhh...Legendary TurboTrollX-16: He revenge-bans PCE Developers/Ys IV Localizers from PCE Facebook groups and destroyed 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Josh and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner (extortion/blackmail!), never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

Kitsunexus

STARSCREAM!!!

I have a funny Starscream flash I can link you guys too, but it's VERY NSFW, PM me if you want it.
Forgive me, my brain is on par with the Bubble System.
THE CHEMICAL BROTHERS RULE!

rolins

Mirage. Definitely the ninja/rogue among the autobots b/c he can turn invisible and make surprise attacks.

Mirage: Who and what I am, I hide from my enemy.

Carbon Tiger

My game collection at PCE Daisakusen
http://www.pcedaisakusen.net/2/33/147/show-user.htm

rag-time4

My favorite was Cliffjumper (G-1) because he was recklessly fearless and because Casey Kasem did his voice! :dance:

PCEngineHell

Tie between the Constructicons,Combaticons,StarScream,Megatron,Warpath,Tracks,Metroplex,and Optimus Prime,even if he did forget how to fly.

Id have given extra kudos to any of them if they woulda accidentally stepped on Chip Chase and killed him,but oh well...

TR0N

Quote from: ceti alpha on 11/02/2007, 11:35 AMYeah Shockwave was awesome. Shockwave and Soundwave were completely loyal, but you knew they were somehow smarter than Megatron.
Shockwave loyal in the cartoon but a tratior in the comic book.
IMG
PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

Keranu

Quote from: nat on 11/02/2007, 12:21 PMI've never been into Transformers too much. But from what I know of them, I like Bumblebee the best.
Haha I am the exact same. I never spent time watching the show, but Bumblebee just sorta stuck with me.

As Ernie Banks' Retirement Pants (and maybe ceti_alpha?) will agree with me, BattleTech is the best! I'll take a Daishi Widowmaker and the Line Backers over any other mech series!
Quote from: TurboXray on 01/02/2014, 09:21 PMAdding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).
IMG
Click the banner to learn more about Alex Chiu and his "immortality rings"

Joe Redifer

There are too many Transformers for me to pick a favorite, but I always liked Optimus, Megatron, Starscream, Soundwave, Shockwave, Grimlock, Swoop and many more.  I thought that Trypticon the toy looked awesome, but he looked like ASS in the cartoon.

Surely you guys have seen these great pieces of awesomeness:

The Rude Awakening of Optimus Prime

Shockwave's Burden

SOS Wheeljack

Heavy Metal Fight

PCEngineHell

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 11/03/2007, 12:44 AMThere are too many Transformers for me to pick a favorite, but I always liked Optimus, Megatron, Starscream, Soundwave, Shockwave, Grimlock, Swoop and many more.  I thought that Trypticon the toy looked awesome, but he looked like ASS in the cartoon.

Shockwave's Burden

SOS Wheeljack

Heavy Metal Fight
Those are soo fuckin awesome!

Ceti Alpha

HAhaHAhaHAhaHA!!!

"For now on, you'll be known as shit piece."

Those are hilarious. Thanks for the links.  :mrgreen:
IMG

ParanoiaDragon

Huffer
Blaster
Cyclonus
Shockwave
Soundwave
Swoop
Swindle
Starscream
Devcon
Brawn
Wreck Gar
Megatron
Skylynx
Rumble & Frenzy
Alpha Trion
Blitzwing

I'm sure there's more.  And yes, they did make some pre-Earth mode Transformer toys, they were part of the Titanium line.  There's atleast 2 more coming out, Prowl & Grimlock.

Jetfire/Skyfire http://www.hasbro.com/transformers/default.cfm?page=Products/Detail&product_id=18156

Megatron http://www.hasbro.com/transformers/default.cfm?page=Products/Detail&product_id=18769

Optimus Prime http://www.hasbro.com/transformers/default.cfm?page=Products/Detail&product_id=17880

Starscream http://www.hasbro.com/transformers/default.cfm?page=Products/Detail&product_id=18831

Thundercracker http://www.hasbro.com/transformers/default.cfm?page=Products/Detail&product_id=18142

The Fallen http://www.hasbro.com/transformers/default.cfm?page=Products/Detail&product_id=19360

I also have Skywarp & Sunstorm, but I can't seem to find any pics of them.

Found some pics of Prowl
/ti1ag4.jpg
ti2cg6.jpg
IMG

rag-time4

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 11/03/2007, 12:44 AMThere are too many Transformers for me to pick a favorite, but I always liked Optimus, Megatron, Starscream, Soundwave, Shockwave, Grimlock, Swoop and many more.  I thought that Trypticon the toy looked awesome, but he looked like ASS in the cartoon.

Shockwave's Burden

SOS Wheeljack

Heavy Metal Fight
After seeing this thread and watching these vids, I couldn't help but watch some old original episodes. The dialogue in the originals is often extremely campy and cheesy  :D

Ceti Alpha

Those pre-earth toys are wicked.  =D> I might have to get me some.
IMG

nectarsis

Those aren't actually pre earth...they are based off of various modern comic serie...not the G1 pre earth modes.....
My Blogger profile with all my blogs of wonderment:
blogger.com/profile/08066967226239965436

ParanoiaDragon

They are from War Within, which is considered pre earth G1.  They are as close as you'll get, to the few that were shown in the show.  There is a prototype of Bumblebee floating around, not sure if it'll ever get released.  It might end up being released in the next line of Classics along with Arcee, Cosmos, & some others that I don't recall at the moment.

Here's a sketch of Bumblebee, I'll look some more for the prototype
http://seibertron.com/images/comic/bumblebee_2.jpg

Here's a proto of War Within Shockwave, not too different then his cartoon model
http://usuarios.lycos.es/toxman/shockwave_proto.jpg
http://www.seibertron.com/events/fullsize.php?event_id=70&size=1&image=150

Here we go, lot's of pics, though, it looks like most, if not all, are not transformed properly  #-o
http://www.seibertron.com/events/gallery.php?event_id=70&size=0&start=125
IMG

nectarsis

I know Cosmo wa for the Titanium line...

Ceti Alpha

This is a general question about Transformers. In the cartoon the Autobots were mainly cars and couldn't fly, while the Decepticons were mainly planes and could fly. Just wondering if this was the same on Cybertron. Seems like it was from just the few moments on Cybertron in the first episode. Wheeljack and Bumblebee seemed to be land locked.
IMG

nectarsis

Actually the Autobots could fly in the first 3 part episode....then this was ignored for the rest of the series..lol

rag-time4

Quote from: nectarsis on 11/05/2007, 10:40 AMActually the Autobots could fly in the first 3 part episode....then this was ignored for the rest of the series..lol
I think there was a sudden change in continuity when Optimus Prime had to borrow Sideswipe's rocket pack  :-k

bust3dstr8

Clowns Suck
IMG IMG

ParanoiaDragon

Quote from: rag-time4 on 11/05/2007, 01:43 PM
Quote from: nectarsis on 11/05/2007, 10:40 AMActually the Autobots could fly in the first 3 part episode....then this was ignored for the rest of the series..lol
I think there was a sudden change in continuity when Optimus Prime had to borrow Sideswipe's rocket pack  :-k
The official continuity, after those couple of episodes where they could fly, is that, general rule, Autobots can never fly, aside from ones who end up taking flying alt modes, like Skyfire & Powerglide.  The Dinobots, can fly.  They were built differently then the other Autobots, so they don't have that limitation.  All Decepticons can fly, without question. 

However, that's going by race, rather then faction.  The Autobots descended from the workerbots that the Quintessons created.  While the Decepticons descended from the warriorbots, which could fly.  Eventually, they got too smart, & there was an uprising, led mainly by the workers/scientists, though I suspect there may have been warriors involved as well.  It seems like most warriorbots, were off the planet(aside from the Omega Sentials), as they usually were sold to warring nations for profit.  So I'm not sure how that all works out, if the warriors did indeed fight with the workers, or if they came back to Cybertron at some point.  It does seem like, atleast for awhile, the warriors were almost an unknown on the planet in general.

Anyways, my point here is, if an Autobot of race(as it's also established that when a spark comes online, they are born a worker or warrior), joins the Decepticon ranks, he can't fly, unless he has a flying alt mode, or a jet pack.  And if a con of race joins the bots, he can fly without exception.

I'm guessing I would be an authority on Transformer lore here, since it's one of my main hobbies, & I'm probably the TF nut on these boards, (though, if you go to the All Spark, there's people with alot more knowledge about G1), so, any questions, ask away.
IMG

rag-time4

Thanks for the info, Paranoia... except the question as to how the Autobots were able to fly in the first few episodes remains unanswered...  8-[

guyjin

I don't remember any of the autobots other than the flyers ever flying. hirez pruf plz k thx.

rag-time4

Quote from: guyjin on 11/05/2007, 05:37 PMI don't remember any of the autobots other than the flyers ever flying. hirez pruf plz k thx.
i dunno about hirez... but here's episode 1 on youtube.
At about 19:40, the autobots are all flying, which they had to do to reach the oil rig that was in the middle of the water...

Joe Redifer

It's interesting that Grapple is in the very first episode (called "Hauler") and didn't become a toy until, like, later, or something.  The dialog is awesome!  "You couldn't hit an Autobot with a moonbeam!"  I LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL'd so hard!  Great comedy writers!

Kitsunexus

Why do they fly in some places and not in others?

BECAUSE IT'S A CARTOON, IDIOT! :P

Turbo D

Quote from: MissaFX on 01/06/2008, 12:10 PMMy idea of gaming is a couple of friends over, a couple of drinks, a couple of medical-handrolled-game-enhancing-cigs and a glowing box you all worship.
IMG IMG
IMG

Joe Redifer

Quote from: KitsunexusBECAUSE IT'S A CARTOON, IDIOT! :P
Very true.  Cartoons do not require nor expect any intelligence from their viewers.  If you have any intelligence, you don't watch cartoons.  Instead, you watch Law & Order and Larry King.

rag-time4

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 11/05/2007, 07:34 PMIt's interesting that Grapple is in the very first episode (called "Hauler") and didn't become a toy until, like, later, or something.  The dialog is awesome!  "You couldn't hit an Autobot with a moonbeam!"  I LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL'd so hard!  Great comedy writers!
I noticed "Hauler" too... I always wondered about that guy as a kid. He seemed a bit fishy.

The only thing that might be better than incorrect names and cheesy dialog might be when the wrong voice actor speaks! It's a pretty frequent problem...

Ceti Alpha

QuoteInstead, you watch Law & Order and Larry King.
Hahahahaha
IMG

ParanoiaDragon

They flew, because the fact that Autobots didn't normally fly, either wasn't established as part of continuity yet, or the writers just plain screwed up.  As the show progressed, they gradually implemented various parts of Transformer lore, but, there were also more screwup's.  There are 2 episodes, with different origins of the Constructicons!  One has them, as villians, building Megatron, basically as their secret weapon or something to that effect.  However, in another episode, it was Megatron himself(& his Robosmasher) that made the Constructicons turn bad. #-o
IMG

Kitsunexus

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 11/05/2007, 09:32 PMInstead, you watch Law & Order and Larry King.
Meh. I hate that crap. I've never watched Law & Order in my entire life, and thanks to the crappy skit at my graduation, I never will.

As for Larry King, you remember that episode in Yu Yu Hakusho where (in the dub) that Australian-sounding dude pulls out two daggers and Yusuke and him have a knife-edge deatchmatch where they basically just pummel each other while trying to keep one foot on the knife?

Yeah, that episode ruled. But Larry King sucks, and he's majorly annoying. I hate him.

Joe Redifer

Speaking of the Contructicons, would Devastator be considered a sentient individual comprised of the personalities of the 6 Contructicons?  For example, if Bonecrusher tried to keep a juicy bit of gossip all to himself and then merged with the others to form Devastator, would Devastator know this gossip and be able to ponder on its significance?  And when he de-merged would the other Contrsucticons also be aware of this gossip?  Weird question, yes, but I always thought that all of the personalities of the individual robots merged into one personality but who also has his own thoughts, feelings and desires.

Ceti Alpha

Quotebut I always thought that all of the personalities of the individual robots merged into one personality but who also has his own thoughts, feelings and desires.
That's an interesting question. There really should have been some sort of episode about this. Or not. hehe
IMG

Joe Redifer

Yes.  "Devastator Goes to the Therapist".

ParanoiaDragon

I'm not 100% sure.  I know, that when any robots merge into gestalt form, the gestalt's mind is a combination of all the robots, but they are usually not as bright.  The exception is Computron, who was given extremely high intelligence when combined, thanks to Grimlock when he got smart, but then gave Computron his intelligence.  I think it's a possibility that a robot in the gestalt form, could find out about stuff, from being merged, but, that's a specific question I've never heard anyone ask.

Here's something on Wiki
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transformers_technology
After reading that, I'm starting to think that they don't know eachother's thoughts, but internally, talk to eachother basically, agreeing on how they want to react to whatever situation they are in.
IMG

Kitsunexus

Joe Redifer

Too bad the Dinobots didn't merge.

TR0N

Quote from: Kitsunexus on 11/07/2007, 12:36 AMArmada ruled.  :P
It would have it didn't have those damn kids in it  :P
IMG
PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

Kitsunexus

Quote from: TRON on 11/07/2007, 02:51 AM
Quote from: Kitsunexus on 11/07/2007, 12:36 AMArmada ruled.  :P
It would have it didn't have those damn kids in it  :P
Yeah true, I was only being facetious anyway. But it's EASILY my favorite Starscream design:

IMG

ParanoiaDragon

Armada would've been a million times better without the kids.  Otherwise, atleast for me, it's unwatchable.  I own it, but, I just can't get myself to watch it.  The last several episodes, dealing with Unicron were the best, but, still, not a very good show.  All in all, of the Armada/Energon/Cybertron trilogy, IIRC, I seemed to enjoy Energon the most.  I do know it had the least amount of kids, which is always a plus in my book!  It only had 1 kid, & he wasn't real annoying like the others.  I wish they'd put out Robots in Disguis on DVD.  I know it had a kid, & it was kind of goofy, but, looking back, for some reason it seems like I really enjoyed it, atleast in comparison to the Armadaverse anyways.

And yeah, since I was a kid, I have always wished they would make a combiner of the Dinobots.  I always thought of the Predacons as kind of their Nememis's(if that's a word), & always wanted to see them go head to head with Predaking!  3 of the Dinobots atleast, will be in the new show.  I know I'm not keen on the designs, but, they're growing on me, & the show, might end up being well written, which is the most important thing.

As for favorite Starscream, deffinitly War Within Starscream, only picture I could find online at the moment
IMG

BTW, here's War Within Grimlock, they're making a toy of this, the Dinobots are all a bunch of crazy rompem stompem tanks in this series IMG
IMG

Also, this is a great Megatron to pick up, fully transformable, & posable! IMG

I do prefer Cybetron Starscream, over Titanium, I think the Cybertron just looks better, all in all IMG
IMG

Here's another of Starscream..
IMG