Battle Ace

Started by Kitsunexus, 01/15/2008, 02:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kitsunexus

Why is this game the worst ever? It seems like all of you are saying "Oh yeah, that game sucks. Well, not really, but we got used to saying it sucks so it sucks".

What makes it a bad game? It has awesome graphics, awesome music, and if it's an Afterburner/G-LOC/Top Gun/Galaxy Force style game, it HAS to rule?

I think I might try to get a Supergrafx and Battle Ace for my first foray into NEC.

Why do you all think this game sucks?

EDIT: I just downloaded the ROM, this game DEFINITELY DOES NOT SUCK! I have lost faith in your reccomendation skills.  [-(

EDIT EDIT: YOU FREAKING ROLL TO AVOID MISSLES! It's not like other games, where you just shoot them! THIS GAME RULES!!!
Forgive me, my brain is on par with the Bubble System.
THE CHEMICAL BROTHERS RULE!

Joe Redifer

It's not the worst game ever, just the worst game for the SuperGrafx which only has maybe 6 or 6 and a half games.

Kitsunexus

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 01/15/2008, 02:53 AMIt's not the worst game ever, just the worst game for the SuperGrafx which only has maybe 6 or 6 and a half games.
But why is it the worst!? IT RULES!!!!

guyjin

because all the others rule more.

Kitsunexus

Quote from: guyjin on 01/15/2008, 03:06 AMbecause all the others rule more.
Well that's stupid and subjective! Why not just say all the SuperGrafx games are good, especially Battle Ace?

ParanoiaDragon

I've always liked Battle Ace, & have never said it sucked 8)
IMG

_Paul

It's bland. It's boring. It's a billion times worse than Afterburner II. The Master System Afterburner II.

Kitsunexus

Quote from: guest on 01/15/2008, 03:41 AMIt's bland. It's boring. It's a billion times worse than Afterburner II. The Master System Afterburner II.
I like it. ^_^  :dance:

Keranu

I never understood how people "hated" it either, it's average if anything. I think the other Super Grafx games are a little better though.
Quote from: TurboXray on 01/02/2014, 09:21 PMAdding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).
IMG
Click the banner to learn more about Alex Chiu and his "immortality rings"

Joe Redifer

The Master System never had After Burner 2, it only had the rip-roaring, high-flying, action-packed, in-your-face prequel which knocked your socks off.

_Paul

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 01/15/2008, 05:26 AMThe Master System never had After Burner 2, it only had the rip-roaring, high-flying, action-packed, in-your-face prequel which knocked your socks off.
Mine did. It was custom programmed by Yu Suzuki just for me because I'm great.

Odonadon

Battle Ace is a great game, I have to agree.  However I think most people agree that Afterburner II is quite a bit better.

OD

nat

I agree with Kitsunexus. Battle Ace needs more supporters.

Quote from: Kitsunexus on 01/15/2008, 02:23 AMWhy is this game the worst ever? It seems like all of you are saying "Oh yeah, that game sucks. Well, not really, but we got used to saying it sucks so it sucks".
You pretty much nailed it.

People like to compare it to Afterburner (II) because you fly towards enemies in both games.

However, in reality, the gameplay is a bit different. In Battle Aces you have (kick-ass) well-designed bosses at the end of each stage, in Afterburner you get "bonus" stages. In Battle Ace you sit in the cockpit, in Afterburner you fly behind your fighter. In Battle Ace you have many airborne obstacles to avoid (energy fields, weird space-crystals, asteroids), in Afterburner you just shoot oncoming foe. In Battle Ace the roll is 75% cooler than the roll in Afterburner. Don't get me wrong, I love both games, but I'm trying to point out the "good" in BA that makes it a great game. BOTH games feature killer soundtracks, but I almost prefer the Battle Ace soundtrack because you actually get a new, great song for every single stage. And they really are great.

Later in Battle Ace you make it into outerspace (something that never happens in Afterburner) where you have to traverse an asteroid belt while dealing with an onslaught of enemy ships. This is my favorite part of the game, and has an unique intense quality lacking from any part of Afterburner.

Quote from: Kitsunexus on 01/15/2008, 02:23 AMI think I might try to get a Supergrafx and Battle Ace for my first foray into NEC.
I think that's a grand idea. If you like the ROM played via shitty emulation, you will only appreciate the real thing that much more. Since the SuperGrafx is backwards compatible with all "regular" PCE games too, it's not a bad investment, especially if you don't have any other NEC hardware. The SuperGrafx is also the best looking (IMHO) NEC console, with the only competition being some of the Duo models. But you just can't beat that top-loading cartridge slot.

When I get home I'll post something up here just to whet your appetite, Kitsunexus.
Wayback - thebrothersduomazov.com - Reviews of over 400 TurboGrafx-16/PC-Engine games

Kitsunexus

That sounds INCREDIBLY WICKED! I'm DEFINITELY going to get this game!!!

Joe Redifer

Battle Ace reminds me more of Air Diver than After Burner.

_Paul

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 01/15/2008, 03:35 PMBattle Ace reminds me more of Air Diver than After Burner.
Yes, I agree with that observation.

Kitsunexus

I was all "Air Diver, wtf!?" but then I found out you meant Lock-On for SNES, I LOVE THAT GAME!!!  :dance:

Joe Redifer

Nope, I meant Air Diver for the 16-bit Sega Genesis Super Extreme Powerhouse System.

Kitsunexus

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 01/15/2008, 09:27 PMNope, I meant Air Diver for the 16-bit Sega Genesis Super Extreme Powerhouse System.
Same game, but for Genesis. SNES is better. :P

nat

From the looks of it, Battle Ace is 1000% times better than that crap.

But that's just judging by screenshots-- I haven't actually played Air Diver.
Wayback - thebrothersduomazov.com - Reviews of over 400 TurboGrafx-16/PC-Engine games

Keranu

Quote from: nat on 01/15/2008, 02:19 PMPeople like to compare it to Afterburner (II) because you fly towards enemies in both games.

However, in reality, the gameplay is a bit different. In Battle Aces you have (kick-ass) well-designed bosses at the end of each stage, in Afterburner you get "bonus" stages. In Battle Ace you sit in the cockpit, in Afterburner you fly behind your fighter. In Battle Ace you have many airborne obstacles to avoid (energy fields, weird space-crystals, asteroids), in Afterburner you just shoot oncoming foe. In Battle Ace the roll is 75% cooler than the roll in Afterburner. Don't get me wrong, I love both games, but I'm trying to point out the "good" in BA that makes it a great game. BOTH games feature killer soundtracks, but I almost prefer the Battle Ace soundtrack because you actually get a new, great song for every single stage. And they really are great.

Later in Battle Ace you make it into outerspace (something that never happens in Afterburner) where you have to traverse an asteroid belt while dealing with an onslaught of enemy ships. This is my favorite part of the game, and has an unique intense quality lacking from any part of Afterburner.
Great post. Really the gameplay in After Burner is nothing great, in my opinion. It just seems like you have very little control of the ship and just watch things fly by instead. Don't get me wrong though, I think there is something special about the game, but the gameplay just feels so empty (as opposed to Space Harrier).
Quote from: TurboXray on 01/02/2014, 09:21 PMAdding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).
IMG

nat

We all know Space Harrier is the greatest game ever made.   :)

nat

FOR KITSUNEXUS-

IMG
IMG

guyjin

Kitsu should change his sig to 'For The Peace of The Space.......'

Turbo D

I like battle ace. Its pretty cool. The thing is that last time I played it, it really pissed me off! Other than that, its a good game.
Quote from: MissaFX on 01/06/2008, 12:10 PMMy idea of gaming is a couple of friends over, a couple of drinks, a couple of medical-handrolled-game-enhancing-cigs and a glowing box you all worship.
IMG IMG
IMG

Kitsunexus

Keranu

Great pics, nat! Really makes me want to buy a Super Grafx + Battle Ace!

Quote from: guyjin on 01/15/2008, 11:30 PMKitsu should change his sig to 'For The Peace of The Space.......'
Haha, that line is cool! Kinda reminds me of the little message on the Legend of Xanadu II cover:

"When the wind of Legend blows
over again , it begin to
make a new adventure..."
IMG

Kitsunexus

Quote from: Keranu on 01/16/2008, 12:44 AMthe Legend of Xanadu II cover
They made a sequel to that movie!?  :-s :shock: WTF!?

Quote from: nat on 01/15/2008, 10:13 PMFrom the looks of it, Battle Ace is 1000% times better than that crap.

But that's just judging by screenshots-- I haven't actually played Air Diver.
Joe was right, the game I was thinking of is Super Air Diver (Lock-On in the US) a sequel to Air Diver, it's still an awesome game though.

Here's some video:
This next game is more similar to Battle Ace, it's called Turn N' Burn (hey it was the '90s):

Keranu

Quote from: Kitsunexus on 01/16/2008, 02:40 AM
Quote from: Keranu on 01/16/2008, 12:44 AMthe Legend of Xanadu II cover
They made a sequel to that movie!?  :-s :shock: WTF!?
Haha, I would love to see a game version of that movie. Dragon Slayer II is just flat out called XANADU, but bears no resemblence to the movie.
IMG

Joe Redifer

Lock On looks horrid.  I'd take regular, non-super Air Diver any day over that.

Kitsunexus

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 01/16/2008, 03:32 AMLock On looks horrid.  I'd take regular, non-super Air Diver any day over that.
How about Turn N' Burn?

Kitsunexus

You know what? It's almost too bad this game DOESN'T suck, because we could call it "Battle Ass".  :lol:

Joe Redifer

Turn 'n Burn is much better implemented, but it cuts away to the map too often.  That would annoy me.

shubibiman

Like Nat, I like Battle Ace for pretty much the same reason. There were only 5 games ever made for the SGX but they were 5 great games.
Self proclamed Aldynes World Champion