I Had Finally Gotten My Nintendo Wii.

Started by OceanBlueKirby, 02/21/2008, 02:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OceanBlueKirby

Today, while I was with my grandfather after we had watched The Spiderwick Chronicles in IMAX theathers, Best Buy had recieved a fresh shipment of Wii units, and had managed to buy one. We hadn't had to wait for very long, as the truck containing them had arrived when we got there and the Nintendo Wiis being sold into the stores was only a matter of minutes. The Wii purchased had come with Wii Sports, but no other game was purchased. For now in accessories, I had purchased the Nyko Wii Charge Station with it, as well.

I'm waiting to get an RFU adaptor for it so I am able to hook it up to my television set to try it out (I could use composite on another television set or with the ADS Tech Video Xpress, but since my TV is the one that is expected to be used more with it, it is best to try it out on that first). This will mean that I am able to upload video game footages again on my account, since my next priority for videos was to record footages of games from Virtual Console. I may just be able to record footages of Wii and GameCube games, too, once my library expands beyond the now-opened copies of Sonic and the Secret Rings and Trauma Center: New Blood.

8) :).
"Here comes a new challenger! Four new contestants stepped into the Audio Deathmatch ring today. You be the judge as these juggernauts battle it out in a fight to the finish!" - A segment of the August 3, 2006 update of SuperPCEngineGrafx .com

Keranu

Cogratulatios and enjoy! I think you might be the only person playing a Wii via RF, but hey I think that's pretty rad in a way! Wii Sports has become one of my favorite games for it's sheer fun and simplicity, something modern games have desperately been needing.
Quote from: TurboXray on 01/02/2014, 09:21 PMAdding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).
IMG
Click the banner to learn more about Alex Chiu and his "immortality rings"

Kitsunexus

Congratulations on the Wii, but not so much on the RF. >_<  I'm curious to hear your thoughts on the Virtual Console, make lots of videos!

I can't wait to pick up the Wii, I'm hooked on bowling.  :lol:

Also, how was Spiderwick Chronicles? It looks great in the trailers.
Forgive me, my brain is on par with the Bubble System.
THE CHEMICAL BROTHERS RULE!

Turbo D

Quote from: MissaFX on 01/06/2008, 12:10 PMMy idea of gaming is a couple of friends over, a couple of drinks, a couple of medical-handrolled-game-enhancing-cigs and a glowing box you all worship.
IMG IMG
IMG

CrackTiger

Congrabulations! =D&gt; You can use a VCR to line composite and output to you TV with a regular cable TV cord(this is how I played my Turbo Duo for a few years) or pick up an RF modulator(?), which are pretty cheap nowadays since they're pretty much obsolete. I think that I actually have a 'spare' RF modulator around here somewhere...
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

Ceti Alpha

Sweet kirby! I'm also anxious to see some videos. The Youtube feature is awesome too. I just got my youtube feature going last night on my xbox media centre. It's so nice to be able to sit down in front of your TV and watch youtube.  8)
IMG
"Let the CAW and Mystery of a Journey Unlike Any Other Begin"

nat

Does the Wii even have an RF jack on it?
Wayback - thebrothersduomazov.com - Reviews of over 400 TurboGrafx-16/PC-Engine games

NecroPhile

Congrats on the Wii purchase.  Have fun with 'er.

Quote from: nat on 02/21/2008, 11:44 AMDoes the Wii even have an RF jack on it?
'Course not, just the multi-output port.  Believe it or not, some crazy company makes a RF modulator that connects directly to this port (rather than using the standard composite cable).
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

OceanBlueKirby

Thanks a lot. I think  I might be able to get more stuff for it since my grandfather and I are going to go out again.

Well, I had asked one of the retailers at Best Buy this, and he told me that one for the GameCube can also work as well. Either that, or I can even get a Universial RFU adaptor and that can work well, too, which I've seen around before.

Quote from: guest on 02/21/2008, 08:29 AMCongrabulations! =D&gt; You can use a VCR to line composite and output to you TV with a regular cable TV cord(this is how I played my Turbo Duo for a few years) or pick up an RF modulator(?), which are pretty cheap nowadays since they're pretty much obsolete. I think that I actually have a 'spare' RF modulator around here somewhere...
I suppose I could use a VCR, but the only VCR we do have is one downstairs, and that is used for taping TV shows such as Survivor on it. I wonder if an RFU 'modulator' is a somewhat simliar device?

Quote from: Kitsunexus on 02/21/2008, 03:33 AMAlso, how was Spiderwick Chronicles? It looks great in the trailers.
It was a pretty good movie. Both me and my grandpa had enjoyed it much. One thing that really stands out is that the computer animation is a real stand-out for its time. I swear, too, that one of the boys in the movie (I'm pretty sure it was Jared) looked like a young version of Joe Redifer :shock: :lol: :-"!
"Here comes a new challenger! Four new contestants stepped into the Audio Deathmatch ring today. You be the judge as these juggernauts battle it out in a fight to the finish!" - A segment of the August 3, 2006 update of SuperPCEngineGrafx .com

nat

Yeah you can buy an RF modulator, use the standard composite cable into the modulator, and the modulator will convert and output RF. I bought one a year ago at Big Lots for like $5.
Wayback - thebrothersduomazov.com - Reviews of over 400 TurboGrafx-16/PC-Engine games

OceanBlueKirby

Quote from: nat on 02/21/2008, 12:33 PMYeah you can buy an RF modulator, use the standard composite cable into the modulator, and the modulator will convert and output RF. I bought one a year ago at Big Lots for like $5.
Oh, wow :shock:. Thanks for telling me, Nat. I'll have to try looking for that if I don't find any RFU adaptors for my Nintendo Wii.

CrackTiger

There is probably one available that uses the regular A/V out. Even the Duo/CG/SGX systems have an RF switch that hooks into their A/V out.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

Kitsunexus

Doesn't Wii have that weird proprietary port that every Nintendo console since the SNES has had? You could just use a SNES/N64/Gamecube RF modulator...

nat

I thought I'd heard that while the Wii's port is the same shape and everything, it uses a different pinout than the earlier systems. Maybe I heard wrong.

PCEngineHell

Lol at RF signal on games in this day and age. I dont think they have made RF only tvs since mid 90ies. Any new tv will have at least composite,time for you to upgrade :) .

guyjin

I still have one little TV that takes RF only; My brother also has one that is much bigger, which is his primary videogame tube. he's got one of those 4-way AV switches that also converts to RF. it's a nuisance.

Kitsunexus

My Emerson 20' CRT TV with composite and S-Video was only $50 new, you really should consider upgrading, Kirby.

Joe Redifer

The Wii does not have the same A/V jack that the SNES, N64 and Gamecube did.  Why not?  Because Nintendo hates you.  Each and every one of you.  With extreme passion.

nat

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 02/21/2008, 09:16 PMThe Wii does not have the same A/V jack that the SNES, N64 and Gamecube did.  Why not?  Because Nintendo hates you.  Each and every one of you.  With extreme passion.
Thanks, that's what I thought.

Ceti Alpha

QuoteThe Wii does not have the same A/V jack that the SNES, N64 and Gamecube did.  Why not?  Because Nintendo hates you.  Each and every one of you.  With extreme passion.
heh. Unrequited love is always depressing.
IMG
"Let the CAW and Mystery of a Journey Unlike Any Other Begin"

Turbo D

Kirby wants the rf so that the virtual console games will look more authentic!
Quote from: MissaFX on 01/06/2008, 12:10 PMMy idea of gaming is a couple of friends over, a couple of drinks, a couple of medical-handrolled-game-enhancing-cigs and a glowing box you all worship.
IMG IMG
IMG

Kitsunexus

Quote from: turbo D on 02/22/2008, 11:54 PMKirby wants the rf so that the virtual console games will look more authentic!
Real consoles are authentic.

MurderDate

well congrats, Kirby.. that's great.. and quite adorable too !!  reminds me of when I was like 11 and had BEGGED my mom to buy me my first CD player ever..  begged and saved and begged and whatnot.. finally I scrounged up about $130 bux and was able to buy one of those very plain looking Sony Discmans,  I'm sure you know the one.  Well, that was all my money,  I couldn't afford a CD for another 2 weeks!

first CD was The Cure - Old Man by the Sea or whatever it's called

I'll never forget how clear as a bell that digital music sounded in my headphones the first time.  This is after a (junior) lifetime of cassette walkmans with dying batteries !

CONGRATS on the Wii !  You shouldve bought a Duo instead (heh) but that's cool --  you can check out some sweeeet TG games for sure !
"I KNOW WHAT YOU ARE GOING TO DO! JUST KILL ME AND GET IT OVER WITH!"
"Don't be vulgar. We're artists..."
Jess Franco's La Comtesse Perverse

OceanBlueKirby

I have made more progress with my Nintendo Wii. Due to the fact that some of my family members are in town, I have less time to spend on the computer, and therefore was unable to report this earlier.

On Thursday, I had gone with my grandfather to go shopping for more supplies for my Nintendo Wii. Since I had gift cards for Target and Game Stop, and a Reward Zone coupon for Best Buy (which I later found out that the Reward Zone card was needed for its use, making my grandpa spend more money than intended :-"), these three stores were shopped at to buy them.

I have managed to find a universal RFU adaptor that could've possibly worked for the Nintendo Wii (since it was able to connect to the Nintendo GameCube), but it was later discovered that the plugs that go into two units themselves were of a different shape. As I've read in the manual yesterday, the only cables being able to work with it are the A/V ones supplied with system itself or a separate component cable that can be bought separately, therefore meaning that I will have to get an RF modulator, which at latest will be bought on Monday. Until the device is purchased, I will spend a good deal of my time on more reaserch, finishing up on my tagged video, and possibly completeing tasks within my older games.

The games and supplies bought are as follows, with each of the stores:

Key for supplies/games:

Bold: Wii         Underlined: GameCube            Italicized: DS

Purchased from Target:

Nintendo Wii Classic Controller
Glove Kit
Universal RF Adaptor from Psyclone Essentials

Purchased from GameStop:

Animal Crossing (used)
Kirby Air Ride (used)
Bomberman Land (new)

Purchased from Best Buy:

Super Mario Galaxy
Super Smash Bros. Melee
Bomberman Land Touch! 2

The major essentials I will need now is at least one GameCube controller and memory card to play the GameCube games, along with a few other wanted GameCube titles. These will need to be purchased at best online since they are difficult to find in actual retail stores. The universal RF adaptor purchased will be returned on Monday, and hopefully the Return Card for it will be used for a Wii Points card, for to purchase Virtual Console games with.

Quote from: PCEngineHell on 02/21/2008, 08:14 PMLol at RF signal on games in this day and age. I dont think they have made RF only tvs since mid 90ies. Any new tv will have at least composite,time for you to upgrade :) .
That was the same time that I got my own television, as a matter of fact, as the Zenith one I have was given as a Christmas present in 1995. It's a pretty good set, really, as this brand was rated to have good sound quality among most models by Consumer Reports in 2002, and I've had a good share of fond memories on it, so I don't plan on upgrading it for a long time. Besides, I do not think they make small white TVs any longer, which are best suitable for my room. Of course, I will need to get a digital converter for it by the switchover to this format on February 17, 2009...

Kitsunexus

Wait, hold the phone keyboard... your TV was reviewed in 2002, yet it only has RF? WTF!? o_0

I mean seriously, my brother's 20' Sharp from 1998 has composite...

nat

The only TV I own that only has RF is a 1981 Sony Trinitron.

Kitsunexus

Quote from: nat on 02/24/2008, 03:14 AMThe only TV I own that only has RF is a 1981 Sony Trinitron.
They made Trinitrons back then??? Wow, I thought they were mid-90's. You learn something new every day!  :shock:

nat

Hmm, now you've got me curious.....

....Apparently the Trinitron has been around as far back as the '60s.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trinitron

Kitsunexus

Quote from: nat on 02/24/2008, 03:56 AMHmm, now you've got me curious.....

....Apparently the Trinitron has been around as far back as the '60s.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trinitron
Wow, thanks for the link!

OceanBlueKirby

Quote from: Kitsunexus on 02/24/2008, 03:11 AMWait, hold the phone keyboard... your TV was reviewed in 2002, yet it only has RF?
Not specifically the model of TV that I have. In the edition I've mentioned, which was in March rating current-at-time large-screen TVs, the three Zenith models were rated with Excellent and Very Good scores for their sound quality. The lowest number of inches rated was 27 inches, and since mine is a small 13-inch television set, I can only say that my television fits within this category for sound. It may have been rated within the March 2001 and December 2001 reports, as there is a note within the details of the models stating that others were reviewed in them, which unfortunately I don't have :(.

It looks very much like the RF modulator for the use of my Nintendo Wii will be purchased on Monday. I will post on my first true experiences once I am able to do so.

Keranu

Hey at least you have a Zenith. If there is any TV to use for RF, a good old American Zenith is the one!
Quote from: TurboXray on 01/02/2014, 09:21 PMAdding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).
IMG
Click the banner to learn more about Alex Chiu and his "immortality rings"

NecroPhile

Quote from: Keranu on 02/25/2008, 12:24 AMHey at least you have a Zenith. If there is any TV to use for RF, a good old American Zenith is the one!
...and bought it just in time, since '95 is about the time when they were bought out by LG.

To each their own, GaWK, but RF on a 13" television would be damn near painful.  For the same money that you'd spend on a RF converter, you'd be better served trolling garage sales and buying a better set.  A ten year old 19" television couldn't be worth more than a few bucks, though it wouldn't be white (that's what rattle cans are for).  Anywho - do what you want and enjoy the games that you picked up; you picked some fun ones, though Air Ride's kinda shallow.

Kitsunexus

Quote from: guest on 02/25/2008, 10:25 AMTo each their own, GaWK, but RF on a 13" television would be damn near painful.
On a smaller TV, it's cool though. We had a tiny black and white 3'' portable TV, and our dad hooked it up via a Y-adapter so we could watch people playing people playing SNES in another room. It was weird.

nat

Your dad sounds like he has too much free time.

Kitsunexus

Quote from: nat on 02/25/2008, 12:25 PMYour dad sounds like he has too much free time.
Nah, we wanted it, because I was tired of my siblings saying "JUMP OVER THERE!" and "GET THAT!" and vice versa.

This way the spectator party could watch in another room, and the game playing party could do whatever the hell they want.

He did have enough time to PLAY RAIL CHASE, however...

MissaFX

Good Traders: nat+, The Old Rover+, bust3dstr8+, nectarsis, geepee+, Mithos, zeon, sensei+, Windancer, OldSchoolGamer
35/62 FX games owned - 56.4%
05/62 FX games reviewed - 8.0%
Latest: Pachio-kun FX review - 4/9/08

nat

Kitsunexus

Quote from: Missa on 02/25/2008, 02:01 PMIMG
Is this the game you speak of?
LOL! Actually, Rail Chase is one of SEGA's more impressive SuperScalers.

Turbo D

Rail Chase kicks ass! We had one over at the golf land arcade. The seat would move around and vibrate, lol.
IMG IMG
IMG

OceanBlueKirby

Yesterday, I've finally managed to get the RF modulator for the desired television to use for my Nintendo Wii. Since the computer had to perform scans, I was unable to report this last night (it's essential that I do so as early as possible for information accuracy).

After the initial set-up with the console, including the WiiConnect24/Internet connections, I have spent most of the day exploring some of the Wii's features and playing Wii Sports. So far in the channels, I have created four Miis replicating some of the important individuals I've met in my life in the Mii channel, and observed the weather forcast and news around a few parts of the world. In Wii Sports, I've fared pretty well in most of the games except Tennis, which I had the tendency to have a bit of misjudgement with the power and formation of my shots. In the first attempt in Wii Fit, also, I had gotten the fitness score of 64 (the lowest possible number is 20).

From these first events, I find the Nintendo Wii to be a pretty nice system, more relaxing than most others, as a matter of fact. However, I will need to get a Wii Points Card (since I do not wish to use a credit card, but these may be hard to find) to buy Virtual Console games with, an SD card to use photos for the Photo Channel 1.1 with, and also, as mentioned before, a GameCube Memory card and at least one controller to play GameCube and certain Wii titles. I will need to be taking much of a break today as my biceps are hurting from using it.

If anyone would like me to give them my Wii Number, message me in any way to do so. I will accept most requests for this.

Kitsunexus

Quote from: Game and Watch Kirby on 02/26/2008, 02:31 PMsince I do not wish to use a credit card
Just get one of those prepaid VISAs, they rock for ordering things online, and best of all if someone DID get into it, they'd only get access to what you put on there, not your whole bank account.

And WiiPoints cards are not hard to find at all. WalMart has stacks upon stacks of them.

NecroPhile

Quote from: Game and Watch Kirby on 02/26/2008, 02:31 PMIf anyone would like me to give them my Wii Number, message me in any way to do so. I will accept most requests for this.
Check out this thread.  It's pure awesome.  :wink:

OceanBlueKirby

Quote from: guest on 02/26/2008, 03:08 PM
Quote from: Game and Watch Kirby on 02/26/2008, 02:31 PMIf anyone would like me to give them my Wii Number, message me in any way to do so. I will accept most requests for this.
Check out this thread.  It's pure awesome.  :wink:
Nice, nice! Thanks for showing me that thread, Necromancer. I'll be sure to add a few select members there :).

I have also downloaded the Check Mii Out and and Everybody Votes channels today. They are not bad applications at all, and they do offer the unique applications of creating Miis for contests and sharing them around the world (for Check Mii Out) and to share your opinions and to predict the popular result on various polls that become available (for Everybody Votes). They are available for free, as a nice thing, and do not take up too many spaces at all. I had actively participated in both.

guyjin

Quote from: Game and Watch Kirby on 02/26/2008, 10:19 PMNice, nice! Thanks for showing me that thread, Necromancer. I'll be sure to add a few select members there :).
Be aware that it doesn't work unless it's reciprocal - they have to add you too.

OceanBlueKirby

Since it has been four days since I've given out my friend code on the "Wii Friend Codes?" board, I have managed to put in the several members in the Address Book that had given out there Wii Numbers there.

These members are of the following:

SuperPCEngineGrafx/CrackTiger
Joe Redifer/Redifer/JoeRedOther
PCEngineFX
Keranu
Nat
TurboSage/TurboStar/Shubibinman
Guyjin
PSPGameBoy926(from YouTube, since he had given me his through a private message)

The members listed are not within the exact order that they were entered in, as PSPGameBoy926 was put in before TurboSage and Guyjin. So far, only two from the list have registered me, whom are Nat and PSPGameBoy926. Nat had also sent me a private message today asking me how I liked my Wii (which I've responded to), and I've finally got the chance to send the Air Zonk, J.J.; and Jeff Miis to someone who would associate with them properly :mrgreen:.

Joe Redifer

I'm not sure my Wii number is even current since I had to send my Wii back to Nintendo, and they replaced it with a new unit with a new number.

OceanBlueKirby

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 03/02/2008, 02:18 AMI'm not sure my Wii number is even current since I had to send my Wii back to Nintendo, and they replaced it with a new unit with a new number.
Wasn't this taken care of nearly five months ago? You have seemed to have updated your Wii number by then, unless something happened to the second Wii that you've recieved, so it should work quite perfectly.