OMG! ZIRIA! ZIRIA!! ZIRIA!!! IT ACTUALLY HAPPENED!! 34 YEARS LATER!! The epic/legendary Tengai Makyou/Far East of Eden: Ziria JRPG has finally been localized! Supper the Subtitler struck again! Simply unstoppable, NOTHING can prevent him from TOTAL PCECD localization domination!!!! WHACHA GONNA DO BROTHER?!?!
Main Menu

What Turbo game are you currently playing?

Started by WandererFromYs, 02/28/2008, 12:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

runinruder

Metal Stoker looks really cool, but it's one I'll be approaching with trepidation because I didn't like Granada very much.
Wayback - thebrothersduomazov.com - Reviews of over 400 TurboGrafx-16/PC-Engine games

Sinistron

I can testify to Metal Stoker being well above average- and yeah most of those face games (not including Alice in Wonderdream and I haven't played Cyber Cross of Cross Wiber yet) have great music and are also really good games.  Hani on the Road is "teh sweet".  Ryukyu is a great little game and has real pleasant tunes.
IMG
Quote from: Tatsujin- ATM it's just amateurish boytoy shizzle.
- they will bust me for consuming drug until they found out what it was in real.

COUNT SMRIFNACK

Last Alert, awsome game.  The cinemas  are funny as hell.  I used to love Guerrilla War on NES and this is like that on steroids.

Oh, and Splatterhouse, daily.

Sinistron

Played Rainbow Islands today  :D
Was Grandmother Crabapple when I first put it on-
disappointed that I couldn't find an alternating two player mode- upset that the level music didn't change much- and was busy comparing the graphics to Parasol Stars which are better and is a hucard. 
Then I settled into it and the next thing I knew I was addicted. However what's the deal with the hyper items and if you get one and clear an island- does the hyper item stay with you along with the levels completed on memory?  Anyway this game is fantastic.
IMG
- they will bust me for consuming drug until they found out what it was in real.

Sparky

cybercore arcade mode :D really nice!!!! forgot how much i liked c-core...put it on the fastest speed and bugs b' gone!!!

Sinistron

Love seeing arcade modes getting love!

Just tested out Power League III (has 4 player mode- can't wait to get three heads in here for that one)
Racing Spirits (a letdown for an Irem card- though I'll only really know from two-player)
Space Invaders (plus mode is awesome!)

and just beat Power Gate- which I really enjoyed.  A nice game to cruise through when powered up-
didn't realize that I amassed so many secondary weapons and used them continuously to crush the final (sixth) board-
interestingly levels 4 & 5 have no bosses- the regular boards just get tough while the boss music plays-
Final boss was a giant flying weapon with huge missiles and was probably the easiest boss in the game...
Overall a surprise- liked it much more than I thought I would- graphics are cruddy yet somehow charming-
was surprised to see parallex- heard such bad things about pack-in-video games...
and all the missile and bullet dodging is great.  Your bombs get really nasty when powered up to fire bombs...
Thumbs up.
IMG

nat

Powergate was that easy huh? Good grief. You only got it yesterday.

And I told you Space Invaders Plus was the shit.

Turbo D

I've been playing a lot of arcade cds lately. 餓狼伝説2 ―新たなる闘い―, 龍虎の拳 and 銀河婦警伝説サファイア   8)
Quote from: MissaFX on 01/06/2008, 12:10 PMMy idea of gaming is a couple of friends over, a couple of drinks, a couple of medical-handrolled-game-enhancing-cigs and a glowing box you all worship.
IMG IMG
IMG

OldRover

Got a copy of Time Cruise in the mail yesterday, so...explanation not needed. :D
Turbo Badass Rank: Janne (6 of 12 clears)
Conquered so far: Sinistron, Violent Soldier, Tatsujin, Super Raiden, Shape Shifter, Rayxanber II

NecroPhile

Lately, Exile's been spinning in the Duo.  It's easy and short, but it's also fun and sports a damn fine soundtrack.  Besides, who doesn't enjoy a good crucifixion barbecue joke?

Quote from: turbo D on 03/26/2008, 01:09 AMI've been playing a lot of arcade cds lately. 餓狼伝説2 ―新たなる闘い―, 龍虎の拳 and 銀河婦警伝説サファイア   8)
Chicken scratches, eh?  Fun times.  :lol:

Quote from: The Old Rover on 03/26/2008, 10:02 AMGot a copy of Time Cruise in the mail yesterday, so...explanation not needed. :D
Contrary to most peeps, I prefer Time Cruise to the Crush pair.  Prehistoric golf for the win!
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

OldRover

Quote from: guest on 03/26/2008, 11:01 AMContrary to most peeps, I prefer Time Cruise to the Crush pair.  Prehistoric golf for the win!
Aye, same here. The Crushes are good, but Time Cruise is just much more enjoyable, especially with its neat little mini-games. And yeah, the golf game rocks. :D
Turbo Badass Rank: Janne (6 of 12 clears)
Conquered so far: Sinistron, Violent Soldier, Tatsujin, Super Raiden, Shape Shifter, Rayxanber II

Sinistron

just put some more time into lost sunheart- fantastic game.  Some of the enemies I find too manic- but if you have a protective ring and keep switching your speeds it makes up for it.  got as far now as inside the whale on normal mode.

also just played some cloud master- at first I was wondering why I didn't care for it- some of the background work is lovely and detailed, awesome scrolling on the boss fights, and its one of the most colorful pce cards period- but damn its a little frustrating how easy of a target you become especially when you die and no longer have a speed power-up.  It's also not as fun as it looks and that drive to get further is somehow missing.  I will give it some more chances though.

gave burning angels another chance today.  some boards look so shitty- second stage in particular with the ugly boulderish clouds- third stage looks amazing in comparison.   really is a brutal game- not in a good way.  you know how some bosses in overhead shooters you can't face directly head on because a huge front laser will suddenly nail you?  Now picture that for most regular enemies in this game only the shots are ludicrously fast and much faster than your ship.  Then when you're on the side of an oncoming big ship expecting a shot from the front it'll shoot from the sides- again- ludicrously fast.  This is not a wriggle game- you have to really memorize every shooting pattern and its not fun at all to do so in this case.  and you get one life.  the music is kind of trash imo.  I'd say that whoever designed this game had no clue on how to make a playable shooter- that said however Naxat has some really good ones. 

also cleared final soldier today- always found it to be the easiest of the star soldier games but I haven't cleared it until today- the final stage (bright as hell purple lava where it's hard to make out what's going on) really messes with my eyes so I held off on following through.  Just kind of eased my eyes toward the bottom of the screen this time and it was better- though my eyes still felt shot for 15 minutes after I shut the system down.  some think (nat!) that I hate this game- but I always felt it was great- regardless of me making fun of the fire shots that look like cheetos.  I do feel though that some of the music is greatly inappropriate and way too happy sounding- and I also feel that though its cool that you can select different weapons on the set-up screen- that most of those weapons are garbage or recycled from super star soldier.  one thing I really do like about the game- aside from the great playability- is the 50's/60's sci-fi feel of some of the levels- something that gives it a completely different feel to me in comparison with the other games in the series.  I rank it third behind Blazing Lazers with Soldier Blade my definite favorite and super star soldier the definite bottom rung. 

played a little dead moon too but was forced to shut it off halfway through  :|.
IMG

nat

The Lost Sunheart is a fantastic game. I didn't know you had it. I can't wait until runin picks that one up and gives his take. I have a feeling he'd like it.

Sinistron

yeah it's awesome.  feels so alien to the other shooters on the system doesn't it?  the obsession with the eyeballs and the ridiculously fast enemies that move in bizarre patterns.  a lot of great powering up- and I only realized tonight for the first time  :oops: how you can switch some of your defense up when you pause it- though I find the default to be best.
IMG

Keranu

I've had Lost Sunheart for years, but never really played the first few levels (I remember one of them being really hard). It seems pretty cool, but it's got some harsh sound to it if I recall and the graphics were kind of a mixed bag. Maybe I'll remind myself to play that again once I'm done with other games on my plate.

Just beat Final Soldier a few hours ago, by the way. Great game!
Quote from: TurboXray on 01/02/2014, 09:21 PMAdding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).
IMG
Click the banner to learn more about Alex Chiu and his "immortality rings"

nat

The final level in Final Soldier ranks among the best of all the levels that make up the Gunhed/Star Soldier series. The background fucks with your attention while the onslaught of enemies is ceaseless. The issue is compounded by a fairly difficult boss to dispatch. Fantastic end to a great game.... One of the reasons I like Final Soldier so much is that it pays homage to Gunhed in so many ways. The bio-mechanical enemies, smartbombs, and one level (5 or 6, can't recall) is like a re-visit of the green space platforms from the first game.

The sound in The Lost Sunheart is definitely harsh, but it's very PCE/Turbo and not the same kind of harsh as some other games on the platform which are bad-NES-sounding harsh. Like coffee, it's an acquired taste and easy to get hooked. Right out the gate, the game doesn't pull any punches which makes it a bit more difficult straight off than many other shooters.

Sinistron

Quote from: Keranu on 04/05/2008, 03:22 AMJust beat Final Soldier a few hours ago, by the way. Great game!
well let's clank mugs on that. >clink<

more on lost sunheart-
It's hard not to take hits in that game but the life bar and defense power-ups help- also the full life power-ups are spread out at nice spots so just keep in your head to stay alive juuust a little longer and you'll replenish.
IMG

esteban

Ha! I haven't read this thread in ages. Still haven't, in fact.

I'm playing Super Raiden and Rock On. Alternating between the two. No joke.

Quote from: Sinistron on 04/05/2008, 03:30 AM
Quote from: Keranu on 04/05/2008, 03:22 AMJust beat Final Soldier a few hours ago, by the way. Great game!
well let's clank mugs on that. >clink<

more on lost sunheart-
It's hard not to take hits in that game but the life bar and defense power-ups help- also the full life power-ups are spread out at nice spots so just keep in your head to stay alive juuust a little longer and you'll replenish. 
For folks who like Lost Sunheart, I usually recommend Rabio Lepus. Rabio doesn't get much love, but for me, both games appeal to the same sort of person. OK, this isn't a scientific theory, but I've seen a correlation between folks liking both games (or disliking both!).

Sinistron, if you liked PowerGate, check out F-123. I can't remember, but I think someone wrote about it here. I had a review here or at magicengine, too (with screenshots of the goofball nicknames they gave the fighter pilots). F-123 is challenging and it was strangely satisfying to beat it. Now, most folks will not play F-123 for long, but it can provide some fun.

If you haven't checked out Download (HuCard) and Download 2 (CD), you might find them kinda enjoyable as well.
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

Sinistron

Quote from: esteban on 04/05/2008, 09:32 AMFor folks who like Lost Sunheart, I usually recommend Rabio Lepus. Rabio doesn't get much love, but for me, both games appeal to the same sort of person. OK, this isn't a scientific theory, but I've seen a correlation between folks liking both games (or disliking both!).
yeah I kind of do like rabio lepus- haven't plugged that one in in a minute but at a time I was giving it a fair amount of playtime and was doing fairly well at it- probably nowhere near beating it (tough ass game!) but fairly well all the same.  Good call though I think I'll show that one a little love today.

Quote from: esteban on 04/05/2008, 09:32 AMSinistron, if you liked PowerGate, check out F-123. I can't remember, but I think someone wrote about it here. I had a review here or at magicengine, too (with screenshots of the goofball nicknames they gave the fighter pilots). F-123 is challenging and it was strangely satisfying to beat it. Now, most folks will not play F-123 for long, but it can provide some fun.

If you haven't checked out Download (HuCard) and Download 2 (CD), you might find them kinda enjoyable as well.
Yeah I think you mean Runin's review- he's told me as well to pick it up- sounds like the games are almost board for board similar- with Hawk having much better graphics of course.  I'm definitely picking it up soon- Powergate was fun as hell.  Download 1 & 2 I unfortunately don't have yet  :cry: but that will change! Download's on my top ten most wanted hucard list  :)  just got in the mail today the card I've been waiting the longest for- Hero Tonma- was a b1tch finding it at a price I was comfortable with...
IMG

NecroPhile

Quote from: Sinistron on 04/05/2008, 02:22 AMplayed a little dead moon too but was forced to shut it off halfway through  :|.
Awesome (the playing, not having to shut down halfway).  Sounded so good I decided to play myself, 'til I died and didn't use a continue.

Played some 1943 and finished it on two player with my bro-in-law.  Fun stuff; hurry, pick up that cow!

Sparky

Im into the PCE goodness... Burning Angels... what an ultimate shooter!!!! and have been raising hell with Dragon Saber and for the most frustrating game i have been playing it goes to... Formation ArmedF... shit its tough :( when you die it has a sound effect that seems to tease you!!!!!!!...

esteban

Quote from: guest on 04/05/2008, 08:51 PMIm into the PCE goodness... Burning Angels... what an ultimate shooter!!!! and have been raising hell with Dragon Saber and for the most frustrating game i have been playing it goes to... Formation ArmedF... shit its tough :( when you die it has a sound effect that seems to tease you!!!!!!!...
Yes! Armed F is tough as balls. I actually beat that motherf*cker, and used to have notes (I was going to write a FAQ). There are patterns to the bosses and some of the later ones are frustrating.

I like Armed F, despite its flaws and non-slick, non-Hollywood presentation.

Digi.k

Valkyrie no Densetsu

Just completed it yesterday and what a great game.   REALLY really shoulda made it stateside.  Anyway the japanese release has some of the nicest booklet art ever!!! 

here's a few of em' cause this game needs more love on this forum!!!  [-o&lt;

/valkcover.jpg
/valkchars.jpg
/valkweps.jpg
/valkmap.jpg

nat

Hmm, that looks awesome, actually. What kind of game is it? RPG? Too hard to tell from the minute low-res screenshots on those manual pages.

NecroPhile

Quote from: nat on 04/15/2008, 11:22 AMHmm, that looks awesome, actually. What kind of game is it? RPG? Too hard to tell from the minute low-res screenshots on those manual pages.
Vertically scrolling action seasoned with a dash of RPG, kinda like Fray.

Sinistron

yes.  Excellent game and plays much better than Fray imo.  Just wish I knew what the shopkeepers and other hut dwellers were saying to me.
IMG

TR0N

Quote from: Sinistron on 04/15/2008, 11:34 AMyes.  Excellent game and plays much better than Fray imo.  Just wish I knew what the shopkeepers and other hut dwellers were saying to me.
Well i've played the arcade version on,Namco Museum vol 5 for the PS1.

It's not that big of a deal far as what there saying though so dunno.

Later on i'll have to dig out my copy and see what it was.
IMG
PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

Digi.k

The pc engine version of Valkyrie no Densetsu is different from the arcade especially later on as the levels are much different and from what I've read there is a boss not found on the arcade.  Not to mention the dreaded password system to continue at another day.

Also you will get to a point where you have to answer a random question correctly otherwise you get thrown back to the beginning of the level.. or mana/health points deducted.  Plus you might need to answer a question correctly in order to gain mana/health.. so thats a lil tricky but it just means a bit more of a challenge XD

I got the completed game up on youtube but some bits are missing.. as I'm sure you can obtain a special sword to defeat the final 2 bosses.. they took a LOOOOOONG time to kill with my "normal" upgraded sword (which was why I split it into 4 vids)..

Sinistron

Played Valis II for the first time today.  What a disappointment. I find it hard to believe that some people think Valis I is weaker than this game.  Valis I is at leat 3 x the game this is.  II is ridiculously easy, insanely short- and a poor platformer with poor level structure and practically zero game strategy.  Gameplay is below average.  This left a bad taste in my mouth and after clearing it it felt like a waste of my time.  The music is highly overrated.  Cutscenes- though they have nice images- are tiny with little animation.  Plenty of load time on this one too.  Future Boy Conan is better than this.
IMG

nat

Quote from: Sinistron on 04/26/2008, 11:09 PMThe music is highly overrated. 
So true. Didn't I warn you about that? I have no idea why the soundtrack on Valis II gets hyped so much. When I played it for the first time, I found the tunes to be merely OK, and at their very best moments, simply "good."

Wouldn't come close to making a top 10 best-soundtrack-on-Turbo list, and I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if it didn't even touch a top 25 list.

Valis II's soundtrack isn't bad or anything, but the soundtrack in Valis III overall is much better, and more consistently "good" than that of II.

I find Valis II's audio composition especially disappointing considering Valis is a Telenet game, and Telenet games consistently feature some of the best music on the console.

Sinistron

Quote from: nat on 04/27/2008, 03:09 AMSo true. Didn't I warn you about that?
Yes you did  :)
I had to blast the game itself as well though  :x
IMG

esteban

Quote from: Sinistron on 04/26/2008, 11:09 PMPlayed Valis II for the first time today.  What a disappointment. I find it hard to believe that some people think Valis I is weaker than this game.  Valis I is at leat 3 x the game this is.  II is ridiculously easy, insanely short- and a poor platformer with poor level structure and practically zero game strategy.  Gameplay is below average.  This left a bad taste in my mouth and after clearing it it felt like a waste of my time.  The music is highly overrated.  Cutscenes- though they have nice images- are tiny with little animation.  Plenty of load time on this one too.  Future Boy Conan is better than this.
Regarding your comments about the music: Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Quote from: nat on 04/27/2008, 03:09 AM
Quote from: Sinistron on 04/26/2008, 11:09 PMThe music is highly overrated. 
So true. Didn't I warn you about that? I have no idea why the soundtrack on Valis II gets hyped so much. When I played it for the first time, I found the tunes to be merely OK, and at their very best moments, simply "good."

Wouldn't come close to making a top 10 best-soundtrack-on-Turbo list, and I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if it didn't even touch a top 25 list.

Valis II's soundtrack isn't bad or anything, but the soundtrack in Valis III overall is much better, and more consistently "good" than that of II.

I find Valis II's audio composition especially disappointing considering Valis is a Telenet game, and Telenet games consistently feature some of the best music on the console.
Valis III's music is pretty darn generic compared to the brilliant, creative tunes in Valis II.  :twisted:

Since both you (nat) and Sinistron have uttered such blasphemous irreverence towards the sacred tunes of Valis II, let me explain.

(1) Really it is just a matter of musical preference.  :)  I'd be curious to hear your thoughts on Double Dragon II. And if you have Lady Phantom (two decent tracks).
(2) I think most video game music (from SNES onwards) falls into the genre of muzak, but I try to appreciate it for what it is.
(3) Valis II, in many ways, transcends muzak. Or, at worst, it is really good muzak. Lots of creative stuff going on.
(4) Electronic / synth-pop / 80's / new romantics = some of my favorite genres
(5) Valis II 's music kicks your lame ass!
(6) See #5

:)

Keranu

Quote from: guest on 04/15/2008, 11:29 AM
Quote from: nat on 04/15/2008, 11:22 AMHmm, that looks awesome, actually. What kind of game is it? RPG? Too hard to tell from the minute low-res screenshots on those manual pages.
Vertically scrolling action seasoned with a dash of RPG, kinda like Fray.
Correction: Vertically, horizontally, AND diagnolly scrolling action  :mrgreen: ! It's a VHD, as John Brandstetter would put it!
Quote from: TurboXray on 01/02/2014, 09:21 PMAdding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).
IMG
Click the banner to learn more about Alex Chiu and his "immortality rings"

Sinistron

Quote from: esteban on 04/27/2008, 09:44 PM(1) Really it is just a matter of musical preference.  :)  I'd be curious to hear your thoughts on Double Dragon II. And if you have Lady Phantom (two decent tracks).
(2) I think most video game music (from SNES onwards) falls into the genre of muzak, but I try to appreciate it for what it is.
(3) Valis II, in many ways, transcends muzak. Or, at worst, it is really good muzak. Lots of creative stuff going on.
(6) See #5
(1) I don't have Double Dragon II or Lady Phantom- but I'd be happy to take 'em off you to give my opinion  :)
(2) Not a fan of muzak or SNES  :)
(3) I don't see how there can be "Lots of creative stuff" going on in muzak- since muzak is created to be light filler renditions of other people's music.  Not even sure how you can praise the Valis II music and in the same breath call it "really good muzak" -- that's pretty bad  :)
(4) Progressive symphonic and math rock / jazz fusion = some of my favorite genres- exactly why (5) and (6) need not apply  :)

really good muzak is really really lame  :P

Just an opinion of course.  I'm actually not a total music snob like I'm coming off- I like a bit of everything- folk, alternative hip-hop and classic rock included- and that said I merely implied that Valis II's music was overrated- it isn't a complete waste- I just think that the high reverence held to it is more than drastic.  As Nat said- it'd be lucky to make a realistic top 25 list of best PCECD music- and I'd place it lower than that.  Pretty much all of Hudson's CD games have much better music for example- and nothing from Valis II stuck in my head.  My initial concerns however were on Valis II's poor gameplay, structure, and lack of strategy, difficulty and length.  This makes the music even worse than it already is as a good video game should be one great experience as a whole- with each element- whether it be music, sfx, graphics or gameplay among others- harmonizing into an almost religious synthesis.  Perhaps if I listened to Valis II's music on it's own merits I'd appreciate it more- but as I already said nothing jumped out at me.
IMG

termis

I've played through I through III recently, and I'm in the last level for part IV.  I was never a big fan of the series before, but playing through them again makes me appreciate it a bit more this time.

As for the music for part II, I gotta agree with Sinistron & Nat.  Valis II's soundtrack is decent, but I can't ever recall going "wow" at the music.  And the gameplay is by far, far the crappiest of the series.  I'd think the only thing that really sold Part II to a large crowd is the whole "anime girls with skimpy outfits" thing.

Talking about Valis, part III gets a lot of love, but IV is quite solid.  For a "regular" CD-ROM2 game, it's probably one of the most polished looking titles I've come across.  It looks helluva lot better than a majority of the SCD titles out there, with good use of colors & parallex, and even the cut-scenes are tons better than part II.  (they must've come up with better compression algorithms by then, cause the images are a lot bigger & varied during cinemas than previous CD-entries, but the loading isn't so bad)

nat

I want to beat III before I start IV.

I still haven't beaten that fucking bells part yet.

termis

esteban

Quote from: Sinistron on 04/27/2008, 11:41 PM
Quote from: esteban on 04/27/2008, 09:44 PM(1) Really it is just a matter of musical preference.  :)  I'd be curious to hear your thoughts on Double Dragon II. And if you have Lady Phantom (two decent tracks).
(6) See #5
(1) I don't have Double Dragon II or Lady Phantom- but I'd be happy to take 'em off you to give my opinion  :)
(2) Not a fan of muzak or SNES  :)
(3) I don't see how there can be "Lots of creative stuff" going on in muzak- since muzak is created to be light filler renditions of other people's music.  Not even sure how you can praise the Valis II music and in the same breath call it "really good muzak" -- that's pretty bad  :)
(4) Progressive symphonic and math rock / jazz fusion = some of my favorite genres- exactly why (5) and (6) need not apply  :)

really good muzak is really really lame  :P

Just an opinion of course.  I'm actually not a total music snob like I'm coming off- I like a bit of everything- folk, alternative hip-hop and classic rock included- and that said I merely implied that Valis II's music was overrated- it isn't a complete waste- I just think that the high reverence held to it is more than drastic.  As Nat said- it'd be lucky to make a realistic top 25 list of best PCECD music- and I'd place it lower than that.  Pretty much all of Hudson's CD games have much better music for example- and nothing from Valis II stuck in my head.  My initial concerns however were on Valis II's poor gameplay, structure, and lack of strategy, difficulty and length.  This makes the music even worse than it already is as a good video game should be one great experience as a whole- with each element- whether it be music, sfx, graphics or gameplay among others- harmonizing into an almost religious synthesis.  Perhaps if I listened to Valis II's music on it's own merits I'd appreciate it more- but as I already said nothing jumped out at me. 
Dude, I posted mp3's in that Double Dragon II thread, just right-click and download them. Give 'em a listen! :)

Anyway, I am arguing that Valis II transcends muzak, and that is why I love it so much. Sorry if I wasn't clear on that.

If comes down to personal preference, of course, but Valis II's soundtrack really stands out from other CD games across all consoles: I have been searching for more games, any games, that offer something even remotely similar to Valis II. Unfortunately, I've yet to find any, and believe me, I've been looking...

Perhaps you have to like synth-pop and eccentric stuff to appreciate Valis II? :)

As for math rock, I dig that as well, though I had to look at lists of "math rock" bands just now to see if I recognized anything. As far as I can tell, I am only familiar with older stuff (early 90's) since I was buying up all of these records like a fiend.

If you dig Drive Like Jehu's first album (Yank Crime isn't as good) and if you have perused Touch and Go's catalog (math rockers and beyond), then we're probably not the mortal enemies I thought we were :).

I'm actually more of a music fiend than a video game fiend, which maybe explains why I spend too much time defending the handful of excellent tunes from Dragon Spirit....

Sinistron

Quote from: esteban on 04/30/2008, 01:34 AMI'm actually more of a music fiend than a video game fiend, which maybe explains why I spend too much time defending the handful of excellent tunes from Dragon Spirit....
Dragon Spirit has great chip music and it really fits the laid back feel of the game- one of the reasons why I like it more than Dragon Saber.  :D

Last night I beat Dynastic Hero.  Loved it.  It felt shorter and much easier than Dragon's Curse- its predecessor and obvious model- but I felt it being a CD game was still justified- with the excellent music and colorful, bubbly graphics.  So far- without having beat the last boss in Bikkuriman and without having beat Monster Lair (but playing and owning both of them)- I'd rank the TG/PCE Wonder Boy adaptations as such- Dragon's Curse, New Adventure Island, Dynastic Hero, Bikkuriman World, and Monster Lair.  I love Monster Lair- so that being ranked last should tell you how I feel about this series.

I beat Last Alert last night too for the first time since I beat it back in the day when I first owned it.  A fun game- but not much in the way of strategy and challenge.  To clear this game with one life shouldn't be much of a task and all of the bosses (the "hardest" one being the sewer monster only because you can't waste your time as on that particular board you're given very little) are jokey- especially the final boss and that weapon he was building.  I'd say that this is more fun and campy than Bloody Wolf but definitely less of a challenge.

On a side note- and maybe someone can help me here- I tried to start up Exile II last night a few times but with no luck.  Problem was it kept telling me that there wasn't enough CD player memory for me to create a save file.  This puzzled me as I only had like six files at the moment.  So I erased all but two of them - erased my 100% Drac X clear and my Rainbow Islands file- neither which bothered me as it'd just give me an excuse to beat up Drac X again and for me to start from scratch again on the excellent Rainbow Islands - erased my Y's IV file which is okay because I wasn't far into it- but I also erased my girlfriend's Loom file which wasn't cool.  So I was left with two files- my clear of Lady Sword (so that I can access the nudie pics whenever I want  :P and my progress in Shape Shifter.  Guess what?  Exile II still said I didn't have enough memory.   :?: :?: :?:  What am I doing wrong here?  I even turned everything off, unplugged the unit- took a 1/2 hour walk outside, came back and got the same result.  Can someone help me here?  And yes- I KNOW that I need a tennokoe card- but aside from that- I don't get it.  I used to be able to have numerous files on the CD memory- it seems as of late the number of files I can hold are getting whittled down to nothing.  :evil:
IMG

Zeon

Quote from: esteban on 04/30/2008, 01:34 AMI'm actually more of a music fiend than a video game fiend, which maybe explains why I spend too much time defending the handful of excellent tunes from Dragon Spirit....
Right on! Dragon Spirit wasn't the greatest game out there, but it does have some kick ass tunes.

Your not alone either in your love of video game music, the only music I listen to is chip music!

As for your save problems Sinistron, different games require different amounts of save space, I can't remember but does the TG-16 cd/duo tell you how much space each save is taking up? I do know that many times I couldn't even start a game until I formatted the system memory. I know this is because it had not been powered on in a while and therefore the saves were lost and the ram needed to be initialized. Maybe from all of the saving and deleting your cd system memory isn't "optimally organized" for lack of a better term? Or maybe Exile II is one of those games that eat up most of the save memory? I hate to say it but you may have to format it if you want to save in Exile II.

nat

Quote from: Sinistron on 04/30/2008, 09:43 AMCan someone help me here?  And yes- I KNOW that I need a tennokoe card- but aside from that- I don't get it.  I used to be able to have numerous files on the CD memory- it seems as of late the number of files I can hold are getting whittled down to nothing.  :evil:
Some games require more space than others. Might and Magic III, for example, requires the entire save game memory to be free in order to start. Perhaps Exile II is the same. I'm not sure-- I only started it up once for literally about 3 minutes to watch the intro cinema and see what gameplay was like. I don't remember what my save memory situation was like at that time.

You need a Ten no Koe so you don't have to worry about losing files.  :D

Sinistron

looks like a format is in order.  Dang!  :(
IMG

NecroPhile

Not so fast, tex; a format may not be necessary.  Exile: Wicked Phenomenon is a greedy bastard and eats up 1155 of the 1726 save space 'chunks' (bits, bytes, nibbles?) and Shape Shifter is eating up an additional 177.  I don't know about Lady Sword's save file size, but it's quite possible that it's eating up more than 394 chunks and needs to be cleared out to make room for W.P.  Of course, the only thing that you'll be saving is Shape Shifter, so maybe a format is in order anyway.  For whatever it's worth, erasing Dracula X, Ys IV, and Loom's files cleared out 144, 47, and 66 chunks, respectively (I don't know about Rainbow Islands).

Quote from: Zeon on 04/30/2008, 09:47 AMI can't remember but does the TG-16 cd/duo tell you how much space each save is taking up?
No, though Order of the Griffon and Falcon will.

nat

Quote from: guest on 04/30/2008, 11:29 AMNo, though Order of the Griffon and Falcon will.
Also for those folks with flash carts, CCovell has a fantastic file manager utility that not only lists file sizes but allows you to manipulate them, edit them, even back up individual files. Not to mention the standard format, delete, etc. Of course you need a flash cart to be able to use it, but I've found that one utilitiy singlehandedly almost makes it worth the price of admission.

Sinistron

Quote from: guest on 04/30/2008, 11:29 AMNot so fast, tex; a format may not be necessary.  Exile: Wicked Phenomenon is a greedy bastard and eats up 1155 of the 1726 save space 'chunks'
Jesus Jones- why the hell does this game use so much save memory?  What the hell is it saving other than a coded list of your items and levels?  :-s

Hmmm.  Thankfully I just stopped being such a crybaby and bought a tennokoe card.  It won't make up for all the files I erased- but at least I'll be able to save all the pervy pics of the fine ladies from my Lady Sword clear  :wink:
IMG

NecroPhile

Quote from: Sinistron on 04/30/2008, 12:29 PMJesus Jones- why the hell does this game use so much save memory?  What the hell is it saving other than a coded list of your items and levels?  :-s
Exile only takes up 96 for each save, so why W.P. is such a pig is a real mystery.  At least that's for three saves and not just one; Sim Earth and M&MIII allow only one save and nearly fill 'er up.

Sparky

Splash Lake... aaaaww its so cute and alot of fun :D and Magical Dinosaur Tour, if your into dinos there lots of good & interesting stuff in there but probably won't get much more attention until my little girl gets her first project on Dinosaurs. :D

esteban

Quote from: Sinistron on 04/30/2008, 09:43 AM
Dragon Spirit has great chip music and it really fits the laid back feel of the game- one of the reasons why I like it more than Dragon Saber.  :D

I beat Last Alert last night too for the first time since I beat it back in the day when I first owned it.  A fun game- but not much in the way of strategy and challenge.  To clear this game with one life shouldn't be much of a task and all of the bosses (the "hardest" one being the sewer monster only because you can't waste your time as on that particular board you're given very little) are jokey- especially the final boss and that weapon he was building.  I'd say that this is more fun and campy than Bloody Wolf but definitely less of a challenge.
Yeah, Last Alert isn't as satisfying to beat as other games because it is too easy. At least it is pretty long, but it would have been great if there was a difficulty setting (or unlockable).

In the past, I've mentioned that one of the koolest "subtle" touches that I loved in Last Alert is when our hero, Guy Kazama, yells "INDRA!!!!!!" when he's on the elevator at the end of the game. IIRC, there are two audio tracks-one with just the usual boss tune, one with boss tune + "INDRA!!!!!!". I also thought the ending credit music and "splashdown" ending sequence + credits was pretty satisfying, even though it isn't elaborate. Also, to back it up a bit, I forgot to mention that I always thought it was neat when Dr. Garcia (?) escaped and Guy ran after him and chased him into space. I'm a sucker for that sort of thing. It's a fun transition from one stage to the next. Maybe that's why I like the end of Bonk's Adventure so much!

Also, I wasn't the biggest fan of the character designs in Last Alert. I don't know how I would re-design them, but I always felt that they could be better (at least they are a step-up from the "Little People" found in R.B.I. Baseball (NES) and Power League, right?).

Don't get me wrong, I dig Last Alert, especially the different types of missions that it offered... I kinda wish they released a sequel-on-steroids.

Sinistron

yeah a sequel would've been choice- and it is the cat's ass when Guy yells approaching Indra- I actually got kind of freaked out and turned my head thinking someone was in the room with me- wasn't expecting it.  I too love when bosses are chased into outerspace just like in Megaman games.  Just would have been nice if just standing there shooting wasn't a way to beat the last few bosses.
IMG

esteban

Quote from: Sinistron on 05/04/2008, 05:05 PMyeah a sequel would've been choice- and it is the cat's ass when Guy yells approaching Indra- I actually got kind of freaked out and turned my head thinking someone was in the room with me- wasn't expecting it.  I too love when bosses are chased into outerspace just like in Megaman games.  Just would have been nice if just standing there shooting wasn't a way to beat the last few bosses.
Yeah, Last Alert needed some tough bosses... maybe then it would have felt O.K. to get through the stages pretty easily--only to face a formidable foe at the end. The "laser boomerang" Generalissimo dude from Bloody Wolf is far more challenging than anything in Last Alert.