I don't care what you say, DDII PCE soundtrack is great! *Now, tard-friendly!*

Started by esteban, 04/29/2007, 11:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

esteban

Hi folks, I resurrected this thread because (1) I'm listening to Double Dragon II tunes as I type this (2) I posted a defense of the DDII soundtrack recently at another forum (3) Spring is in the air and the songs below seem to capture the spirit of the season (4) You may like a few of these tunes :)

Favorite Double Dragon II PCE tunes. Right-click (apple-click) to save mp3's...

* Pleasant Desperation (Synth Sax Radio Edit) - This is a relatively straightforward song, but don't be deceived by its genial trappings. Yes, it is a tender track with a lot of heart, but it is able to evoke some dramatic tension as well. There is a sense of urgency here, but it strikes me more as a sense of desperation. Ultimately, I just can't shake the feeling that this song is somber, sad, and gloomy. There are hints of hope in the pessimism, though. I dig it.
* Hot. Wild. (Cold Sea Edit) - Not-quite-eccentric, until you realize that this is for Double Dragon II. I love the ethereal-flute-meets-heavy-handed-dance-floor quality of this song. Traditional-percussion-meets-drum-machine. It shouldn't work in the game, but, for some bizarre reason, it works. Brilliant.
* Ambient Jungle Death (Snarl Mix) - This track deserves praise for its attempt to create a tense atmosphere with an ambient soundscape. I love how the urgency of the music punctuates the soundscape. PLAYING THE GAME: Initially, I thought that the minimal stage design (the graphics in this stage barely evoke a rural setting) was a mismatch for this over-the-top song, but then I realized I was being too literal. The game's designers had their tongue's firmly in their cheeks. It's a Jungle out there! The zoo doesn't close at dark!
* Choral Chaos (Sing-along-version) - The schizophrenic melding of musical genres in this track are the most eccentric and most creative in the entire game, in my opinion. This is also the most EPIC song to be found in the game, easily. Not surprisingly, this track offers more depth than the previous two I listed. Initially, I was tempted to describe this song as a pastiche, but then I realized that it transcended that label. Stir-frying all of these musical ingredients together should leave a bad taste in the mouth, but it doesn't! This song is inspiring, you react to it as you would react to war-drumming (adrenaline going into overdrive for battle!), but there's more: the eerie, haunting choral arrangement evokes a sense of awe and bewilderment that really adds to the atmosphere of the game.
* Ass-kickin' with distorted synth guitar - OK, now we head back into familiar territory: this is a straightforward beat-em-up anthem that is nicely done so you can't help but dig it. You can't merely play air guitar along with this track--you have to punch and stomp on things as well. Myself, I recklessly crumpled up a handful of coupons and violently threw them into the recycling bin. F*** you, Willy!

Now, Hot. Wild. was the song that inspired me to proclaim my love for the Double Dragon II PCE soundtrack, but, really all 5 tracks above really deserve credit. I love all of these tracks.  "Choral Chaos" and "Hot. Wild." share the same formula, and I think they are rather creative, so they get top honors. "Ambient Jungle Death" follows the formula, too, but uses sound effects you'd hear in an old Abbot & Costello film as one of its key ingredients.

If you aren't impressed by the artsy stuff, then go for "Pleasant Desperation" and "Ass-kickin" -- they should please all.

QuoteHot. Wild.

Guh- Good Evening. Guh- Good Evening.

Hot. Wild.

Huh- Huh- Huh- Hot Wild.

Huh- Huh- Hot.

Hot. Wild.

Huh- Huh- Huh- Hot Wild.

Hot. Wild.

They say the sea is cold...
Of course, you really have to play the game to fully appreciate the songs... because some songs are goofy/corny, but they fit the game, so I can't complain. So, the tracks below aren't necessarily bad, but they aren't as magical as, either...

Remaining tracks. Right-click (apple-click) to save mp3's...
* Squawk Talk (Infamous. Infamous for the samples used. I think it is catchy, but it is corny.)
* Smooth Walk (Muzak)
* Danger Hawk (The Tension Mounts)
* Goofballs on a stroll...

In the game, of course, these songs are totally fine.

-------------------- ORIGINAL POST -------------------------------

EDIT: I spelled out "DDII" for the tards.

I often have inner-dialogues with ghosts. Let me explain. A long time ago, a fellow TG-16 fan asked me about the Double Dragon II soundtrack. I told him that it certainly wouldn't be everybody's cup of tea, but that it was actually pretty awesome once you accepted it for what it was (a quirky, yet refreshing stab at Double Dragon's tunes).

Also, despite what you think about the game itself, I thought the music complemented the stages and gameplay.

Well, this fellow couldn't have disagreed with me more! Ha! I felt bad (he spend $$$ to obtain the game).

Now, several years later, I still stand by my initial verdict. Hence my ongoing conversation with a ghost of yesteryear.

Here's the deal: Just as with R-Type PCE, folks should accept what they were given instead of pining for the uber-awesome (but somewhat stale) re-hash they were cheated out of. Don't get me wrong, it would be great to have awesome Red Book DD tunes... but the chiptunes kick ass already (yes, the NES tunes are friggin' brilliant). The same is true for R-Type's chip tunes. Plus, as I've always said, we've heard DD and R-Type tunes over and over... we should be grateful when wacky alternate versions surface.

I know DDII PCE has some corny tracks, but that's part of its charm -- honestly.

Don't forget to listen to the excellent track in DDII's ending credits! :)
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

ParanoiaDragon

I don't recall anything wacky or corny in DE 2's ost, I LOVE that sountrack!  I think it's really well done, & there's not many PCE soundtracks I could ever put above it.  It's one of those games that helped inspire me musically, along with other games.
IMG

Tatsujin

www.pcedaisakusen.net - home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games countdown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

Joe Redifer

What the hell are you talking about?  I realize it requires superhuman effort, but please type out the full name of the game the first time you refer to it.  Otherwise I have to assume you are talking about Double Dragon 2, or maybe Double Dungeons 2.  I have no idea.

_Paul

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 04/30/2007, 12:44 AMWhat the hell are you talking about?  I realize it requires superhuman effort, but please type out the full name of the game the first time you refer to it.  Otherwise I have to assume you are talking about Double Dragon 2, or maybe Double Dungeons 2.  I have no idea.
And it just complicates matters that ParanoiaDragon mentions DE2, not DD2  :-k

Seldane

Quote from: Seldane on 04/21/2007, 07:28 PMDVDs are for suckers. Illegally pirated and stolen videos all the way. No menus. No "DO NOT PIRATE THIS!" screens. No fuss. Only perfection. I honestly only pirate movies because that "don't pirate this" screen annoys me. :wink:
IMG
Indeed, it's AV time. Check out: IMG! Sir, the door was open.

CrackTiger

Quote from: ParanoiaDragon on 04/30/2007, 12:37 AMI don't recall anything wacky or corny in DE 2's ost, I LOVE that sountrack!  I think it's really well done, & there's not many PCE soundtracks I could ever put above it.  It's one of those games that helped inspire me musically, along with other games.
If you're talking about Dungeon Explorer II, it is a great soundtrack. But not nearly as good as Dungeon Explorer 1 in my opinion.

If Steve's talking about Double Dragon II, I only once tried it for a few minutes. So I have no opinion at the moment, but will try to give it a listen later tonight(if it is confirmed that it really is the game being discussed).  :P
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

NecroPhile

Double Dragon II's tunes aren't bad, but they're mostly forgettable.  Of course, I don't think that the NES versions are anything to get excited about either, so maybe I'm just insane and should be ignored.

Since Dungeon Explorer II has become the secondary topic, I may as well throw my two cents in there too.  Dungeon Explorer II's soundtrack kicks ass, but it isn't any better than Dungeon Explorer's - which has some of the finest chip tunes on the TG-16.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

Ninja Spirit

When playing Double Dragon II, I usually play Mission 1 with the volume down, particularly because Naxat plugged in the sound fx of a woman screaming like she's getting raped. It's so annoying when you're trying to enjoy the music.

NecroPhile

The screams are mildly annoying, but if you turn the volume down you'll miss the Elmo laughs.  Hmmm... is Elmo a laughing rapist, or is he laughing while being raped?
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

Seldane

The screams and laughs alone made me want to play that game. BADLY! It's a CD game, right?
Quote from: Seldane on 04/21/2007, 07:28 PMDVDs are for suckers. Illegally pirated and stolen videos all the way. No menus. No "DO NOT PIRATE THIS!" screens. No fuss. Only perfection. I honestly only pirate movies because that "don't pirate this" screen annoys me. :wink:
IMG
Indeed, it's AV time. Check out: IMG! Sir, the door was open.

Mortis

CD game indeed and the screams really make it for me at least. Totally makes it. Just like the awesome drumming during the world map sequences in Fatal Fury 2.  :-({|=

All in all, the Double Dragon 2 soundtrack is TC (That's Totally Camembert for you - talk about banning abbrevs).  :dance:

esteban

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 04/30/2007, 12:44 AMWhat the hell are you talking about?  I realize it requires superhuman effort, but please type out the full name of the game the first time you refer to it.  Otherwise I have to assume you are talking about Double Dragon 2, or maybe Double Dungeons 2.  I have no idea.
Request granted, Joe :).

ParanoiaDragon

Sheesh, I are smart :P

Anyways, I must've been tired when I read the post last night. 

As for Double Dragon 2, I think the soundtrack is pretty cool, with the exception of the first level, that song just sucks!  And Sel, yeah, it's a cd game.
IMG

esteban

Quote from: Mortis on 04/30/2007, 02:24 PMCD game indeed and the screams really make it for me at least. Totally makes it. Just like the awesome drumming during the world map sequences in Fatal Fury 2.  :-({|=

All in all, the Double Dragon 2 soundtrack is TC (That's Totally Camembert for you - talk about banning abbrevs).  :dance:
Thank you, you're the only one who gets it! The goofy screams, the sultry "Good Evening" / "Hot Wild" dance track, the ambient jungle sounds, the choral chants with a twist, etc. etc. are great. I love what they add to the game...

Quote from: My favorite DDII trackGuh- Good Evening. Guh- Good Evening.

Hot Wild.

Huh- Huh- Huh- Hot Wild.

Huh- Huh- Hot.

Hot Wild.

Huh- Huh- Huh- Hot Wild.

Hot Wild.

They say the sea is cold...
This is the very song that inspired me to write this post last night. This track is a thing of beauty. The arrangement, the instruments, the samples ... the atmosphere all of this conjures up: brilliant.

Joe Redifer

It should be a rule here at pcengine-fx.com that all threads are "tard friendly".  That way I can read all threads.

esteban

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 04/30/2007, 09:59 PMIt should be a rule here at pcengine-fx.com that all threads are "tard friendly".  That way I can read all threads.
:)

Kitsunexus

I like the theory that Naxat (being not too bright) thought that the hip-hop brass stabs (as heard in House Of Pain -Jump Around and Cypress Hill - Insane In The Membrane) were a woman screaming.  :lol:
Forgive me, my brain is on par with the Bubble System.
THE CHEMICAL BROTHERS RULE!

esteban

Ha! This morning I updated the original post, but I forgot to bump it. Please see the updated post.

Yeah, it was a year ago. Time flies.

MurderDate

I only listened to Hot & Wild but it was cool!  haha.      god I love soundtrack music !
"I KNOW WHAT YOU ARE GOING TO DO! JUST KILL ME AND GET IT OVER WITH!"
"Don't be vulgar. We're artists..."
Jess Franco's La Comtesse Perverse

esteban

Quote from: MurderDate on 04/20/2008, 09:00 AMI only listened to Hot & Wild but it was cool!  haha.      god I love soundtrack music !
I urge you to check out some of the other tracks.

Be forewarned: I might have an unhealthy obsession with these songs, because I keep listening to them. I even added some ridiculous mini-reviews to the original post.

No good will come of this obsession, I tell you. 

The Dragon Spirit chiptunes cause a similar reaction in me...

jordan_hillman

Holy hell esteban! That is an amazing break down and analysis of DDII's soundtrack (see what I did there?). I think I'm going to sit down over the next couple of months and do an in-depth analysis of a PCE soundtrack that I really dig.
"Live the code, the code of the Dragon!"