10/31/2023: Localization News - Dead of the Brain 1!

No, NOT a trick, a Halloween treat! Presenting the Dead of the Brain 1 English patch by David Shadoff for the DEAD last official PC Engine CD game published by NEC before exiting the console biz in 1999! I helped edit/betatest and it's also a game I actually finished in 2023, yaaay! Shubibiman also did a French localization. github.com/dshadoff/DeadoftheBrain
twitter.com/NightWolve/PCENews
Main Menu

PC Engine Screen-shot quiz

Started by Tatsujin, 12/24/2006, 11:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NecroPhile

Since it's been four weeks and I'm still retarded, can I have another hint, pretty please with a cherry on top?
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

ccovell

Gah, here's the complete screenshot!  No cropping at all.  This'll make it super-easy, but hey...

/MysteryS.png

Joe Redifer

What game has a resolution of 288 pixels high?  No standard TV can support that unless it interlaces.  And no PCE game interlaces, to my knowledge.  Also, are the graphics really that blocky?

EDIT:  That shot is no different than the previous one you posted.

EDIT 2: OK you fixed your post.

Sinistron

IMG
Quote from: Tatsujin- ATM it's just amateurish boytoy shizzle.
- they will bust me for consuming drug until they found out what it was in real.

ccovell

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 04/24/2008, 10:11 PMWhat game has a resolution of 288 pixels high?  No standard TV can support that unless it interlaces.  And no PCE game interlaces, to my knowledge.  Also, are the graphics really that blocky?

EDIT:  That shot is no different than the previous one you posted.

EDIT 2: OK you fixed your post.
Reload your browser.  The image is 256x224, but your browser has the size of the previous picture cached.

Joe Redifer

No, you had a different image up first.  It was the same image of your previous post.  Both MysteryS.png and MysteryS-1.png are the same exact file.  I then reloaded and the image changed and so did the one for your previous post.  There would be no reason for my browser to cache an image it's never seen unless you just change the picture and never the URL (which is what you did).

ccovell

I never named anything MysteryS-1.png.  Joe, give it up.

On topic, now.  Nope, it's not Bari Bari Densetsu.

NecroPhile

Motoroader MC or Racing Spirits?

ccovell

Racing Spirits it is!  I guess noone's ever pressed RUN past the title screen on this one.  :)
/MysteryS.png ---> /MysterySa.png

Also the fact that the game is usually seen in 1st-person perspective was the intentional red herring for this one.  :wink:

Sinistron

:oops:  gawddamn I have this game too.
IMG
- they will bust me for consuming drug until they found out what it was in real.

NecroPhile

Quote from: Sinistron on 04/25/2008, 10:56 AM:oops:  gawddamn I have this game too.
Same here (it's my lone loose title), yet I've never played it 'cause it looked lame.  I don't have anything ready to go, so my turn's up for grabs if anyone wants it.

Joe Redifer

Quote from: ccovellI never named anything MysteryS-1.png.  Joe, give it up.
You're right, it was my OS adding the "-1" to the file as I dragged them to the desktop.  I opened them both up in PS to see what you "uncropped" from your previous post at the top of the page (which has the exact same image).  No amount of refreshing can make the two images different.

kid_rondeau

Because I'm a chump sometimes, I just wanted to be the 20000th person to view this thread.

NecroPhile

Since nobody took me up on my magnanimous offer, here's a nail biter for all y'all:

/57b00482024ff2c46d01519bf9ee48502g.jpg

esteban

Quote from: guest on 04/30/2008, 01:18 PMSince nobody took me up on my magnanimous offer, here's a nail biter for all y'all:
/57b00482024ff2c46d01519bf9ee48502g.jpg
PC Genjin
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

NecroPhile

awack

NecroPhile

We have a winner!  That's from Battra's level, if anybody really cares.

awack

OK. here is about 60% of a screenshot.

IMG

guyjin

CrackTiger

Quote from: awack on 05/02/2008, 12:48 PMOK. here is about 60% of a screenshot.

IMG
Tokimeki Memorial?
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

awack

Wow, i took this shot further in the game than any screenshot Ive seen floating around the net, i also didn't think any one would recognize that character,Tokimeki Memorial it is...very good.

CrackTiger

Quote from: awack on 05/03/2008, 05:02 AMWow, i took this shot further in the game than any screenshot Ive seen floating around the net, i also didn't think any one would recognize that character,Tokimeki Memorial it is...very good.
The art and graphic style combined with the size of the screenshot is the give away.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

Joe Redifer

Dude almost looks like he has the nose of a pig.  What a fantastic art style!

nat

The background art in that image is really, really nice. I need to pick up a copy of this game if for no other reason than to look at the artwork....
Wayback - thebrothersduomazov.com - Reviews of over 400 TurboGrafx-16/PC-Engine games

NecroPhile

Quote from: nat on 05/03/2008, 07:39 PMThe background art in that image is really, really nice. I need to pick up a copy of this game if for no other reason than to look at the artwork....
Agreed; I need to give my copy a spin for the same reason.  As an added bonus, I'll get to use the ol' mouse again.

CrackTiger

I've never even played Tokimeki Memorial. :P

Here's the next one-

IMG

Arjak

Looks like a statue from Ys Book I & II.
He who dings the Gunhed must PAAAAY!!! -Ninja Spirit

OceanBlueKirby

Dungeon Explorer II?
Exile: Wicked Phenomeon?

Those are the only two guesses I have for this one. I have a pretty strong feeling that it is from a CD-ROM title  ](*,).
"Here comes a new challenger! Four new contestants stepped into the Audio Deathmatch ring today. You be the judge as these juggernauts battle it out in a fight to the finish!" - A segment of the August 3, 2006 update of SuperPCEngineGrafx .com

Alt-Nintega

Looks like Valkyrie form Legend of Valkyrie.

If not Ys I&II or Ys III, I have these guesses.

Xak I&II
Xak III
Xak Gaiden

Alt-Nintega

Or maybe that was taken from the 4th Stage of Altered Beast?

Sinistron

Is it just me or is it incredibly lame for people to take 7 guesses on one turn?  If you happen to stumble on it from wildly taking multiple guesses- does that give a sense of accomplishment?  Also entirely undermines the current quizmaster.  If it was me asking and some rube listed off ten games and one of them was right- I wouldn't want to bother playing anymore.  Maybe it's just me though.
IMG

Lord Thag

Since I know absolutely nothing about PCE games or imports, I'm going to guess that it is probably called something like Super Shiburbinakamurohaniryuken Man Special Blade Jack, or Donkey Picnic.

At least, that seems to be the usual Japanese style of naming  :lol:
Dodging little white bullets since the Carter administration

CrackTiger

No one has guessed it yet. Here's some more of the screenshot-

IMG

Sinistron

Fray?  Did someone already say that?
IMG

esteban

spenoza

Almost looks like it could have come from one of the Valis games.

CrackTiger

Still no correct guesses. :)

esteban

OceanBlueKirby

The original Exile, then? That's all I can think of :?.
"Here comes a new challenger! Four new contestants stepped into the Audio Deathmatch ring today. You be the judge as these juggernauts battle it out in a fight to the finish!" - A segment of the August 3, 2006 update of SuperPCEngineGrafx .com

CrackTiger

Hint + larger piece:

Its a Super CD game.

IMG

Joe Redifer

For some odd reason I almost want to say Lords of Thunder.  Am I right?

kid_rondeau

Yes! Joe is right...even though it's not my question to answer.

Joe Redifer

It's not the statue that gives it away, it's the blue grainy stuff on the top and the bottom.

CrackTiger

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 05/11/2008, 07:33 PMIt's not the statue that gives it away, it's the blue grainy stuff on the top and the bottom.
I figured that that would be enough. :P

IMG

Joe Redifer

Alright!

Time for a new screen shot:

guessyguess.png

CrackTiger

Looks like a bat from Dracula X or something.

Joe Redifer

Bingo! 

draculax.png

The ball is back in your court!

Tatsujin

this quiz is gettin' easier and easier by every riddle.
www.pcedaisakusen.net - home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games countdown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

Ceti Alpha

Woa! That was quick! I need to build up my collection more so I can start guessing these. lol
IMG
"Let the CAW and Mystery of a Journey Unlike Any Other Begin"