10/31/2023: Localization News - Dead of the Brain 1!

No, NOT a trick, a Halloween treat! Presenting the Dead of the Brain 1 English patch by David Shadoff for the DEAD last official PC Engine CD game published by NEC before exiting the console biz in 1999! I helped edit/betatest and it's also a game I actually finished in 2023, yaaay! Shubibiman also did a French localization. github.com/dshadoff/DeadoftheBrain
twitter.com/NightWolve/PCENews
Main Menu

Whoa! How come no one ever talks about Moonlight Lady?!

Started by shawnji, 11/15/2015, 07:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shawnji

Was poking around on YouTube and found a commercial for it, and it looked really fun so I tried it out. 

Wow!  What a fun little game!  Granted the story is almost an exact copy of Sailor Moon so far, but the gameplay is generally fun and interesting.  The fact that it's an action RPG where you can swap (and indeed, sometimes have to swap) between girls on the fly to use their different abilities makes it something worth really looking at.  Graphically it's very nice, too; with large sprites and decent animation.

Does any hacker out there want to try and work on this puppy?  I'd be glad to translate for you!

Man, I love finding stuff like this when I'm least expecting it.  Definitely give this one a shot if you haven't! 

IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG

CrackTiger

QuoteWhoa! How come no one ever talks about Moonlight Lady?!
Most current active members aren't big on games with a language barrier.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

jtucci31

Just checked out some screen shots and saw some of the visual scenes on youtube. It looks pretty fun and I love action-RPGs. I would assume it's not that difficult to get through not knowing english. I'll keep an eye out for this one, thanks! :)

shawnji

Quote from: guest on 11/15/2015, 07:31 PM
I get that, but I would figure you'd hear at least a little something about it on the PC Engine side of the boards.  The first part of the game would be really easy to get through with little to no Japanese knowledge, but I can see where the second chapter would mess with people; especially given that you actually have to step on a very specific tile at one point just to further the progression.  All the more reason I'd love to translate this.

Quote from: guest on 11/15/2015, 07:36 PMJust checked out some screen shots and saw some of the visual scenes on youtube. It looks pretty fun and I love action-RPGs. I would assume it's not that difficult to get through not knowing english. I'll keep an eye out for this one, thanks! :)
No problem!

The first chapter is really simple.  Once you're able to leave the house, go down a screen and then right.  You can't get lost after that.

If you get stuck on the second chapter, head to the school roof after walking around a bit and talking to everyone, and then hold straight down from where you enter to initiate some more dialogue, then head back down, talk to the bird, go to the far left classroom on the second floor.  Talk to the girl with green hair there and then head back to the roof.  Then just go back to the school after the eye-catch and you'll hit the second (and far more interesting) action sequence. 

If you want, on the second floor there's a girl who's missing a contact lens.  Agree to help her find it and then search around the bottoms of the chairs in that room.  Give her the lens and you'll get a piece of equipment for your trouble.

I can't speak to much after that, as I've only just started on it myself, but I'll try to help if anybody gets stuck.

xcrement5x

Quote from: guest on 11/15/2015, 07:36 PMJust checked out some screen shots and saw some of the visual scenes on youtube. It looks pretty fun and I love action-RPGs. I would assume it's not that difficult to get through not knowing english. I'll keep an eye out for this one, thanks! :)
It does look pretty cute :)
Demented Clone Warrior Consensus: "My pirated forum clone is superior/more "moral" than yours, neener neener neener..."  ](*,)

CrackTiger

Quote from: shawnji on 11/15/2015, 07:38 PM
Quote from: CrackTiger on 11/15/2015, 07:31 PM
I get that, but I would figure you'd hear at least a little something about it on the PC Engine side of the boards.  The first part of the game would be really easy to get through with little to no Japanese knowledge, but I can see where the second chapter would mess with people; especially given that you actually have to step on a very specific tile at one point just to further the progression.  All the more reason I'd love to translate this.

No problem!

The first chapter is really simple.  Once you're able to leave the house, go down a screen and then right.  You can't get lost after that.

If you get stuck on the second chapter, head to the school roof after walking around a bit and talking to everyone, and then hold straight down from where you enter to initiate some more dialogue, then head back down, talk to the bird, go to the far left classroom on the second floor.  Talk to the girl with green hair there and then head back to the roof.  Then just go back to the school after the eye-catch and you'll hit the second (and far more interesting) action sequence. 

If you want, on the second floor there's a girl who's missing a contact lens.  Agree to help her find it and then search around the bottoms of the chairs in that room.  Give her the lens and you'll get a piece of equipment for your trouble.

I can't speak to much after that, as I've only just started on it myself, but I'll try to help if anybody gets stuck.
Like most games, it has been discussed more than once, but the same people try not to start new threads years later just to rehash the same thoughts. Most newer threads on specific games are from newer members who haven't gone through the old ones.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

EmperorIng

I've actually wondered about the game myself, considering I enjoy a good action-RPG (emphasis on good, and well, action), but there was never enough info (not even a youtube video) to let me form a decent opinion. I bet there is a niconico walkthrough uploaded though.

I am trying to dig up some exposure, information, and strategy for other obscure Japanese action-RPGs (e.g. my Efera & Jiliora topic, and my occasional posts documenting my slog through Auleria). There just isn't a whole lot of information about these games around, other than (often misleading) reviews from old standbys and some soundtrack videos.

SignOfZeta

I suppose it's the same reason people "never" talk about Blood Gear. That thing's amazing and I didn't even know it existed until five years ago or so, because nobody ever talks about, probably the language thing is an issue, but just as hype generates hype, lack of hype works the same way. People want to try the games they already have heard of.
IMG

Digi.k

I am not fond of the art style but being an action RPG game I am going to look into this in the coming year.  I think I may have seen pics of this years ago in Japanese mags back then when the pc engine market was still alive but certainly it's fallen into those obscure titles that people have forgotten about or didn't know it existed till now.  I am going to look into blood gear too at a later date.

CrackTiger

Some other games you guys might be interested in discovering/exposing:

Sword Master
Solid Force
Madou Monogatari
Laprass no Ma
Lougas
Schwartzchilds
Lady Phantom
Blood Gear
Auleria
Ruin
Record of Lodoss Wars
Last Armageddon
Linda3
Neo Metal Fantasy
Aurora Quest
Faerie Dust Story
Kawa no Nushizuri/Fisher King
Seiya Monogatari
Princess Minerva
Mysterious Song
Necross
Lady Sword
Hyaku Monogatari
Yamamura Misa Suspense
Private Eyedoll
Silky Lip
Monbit
Alshark
Star Breaker
Tenshi no Utas
KO Seiki Beast
Himitsu no Hanazono
De-Ja
Circus Lido
Zipang
Makai Hakenden Shada
Mystic Formula
Kiaidan 00
Zero4Champs

VenomMacbeth

Quote from: guest on 11/16/2015, 06:57 PMSome other games you guys might be interested in discovering/exposing:

Sword Master
Solid Force
Madou Monogatari
Laprass no Ma
Lougas
Schwartzchilds
Lady Phantom
Blood Gear
Auleria
Ruin
Record of Lodoss Wars
Last Armageddon
Linda3
Neo Metal Fantasy
Aurora Quest
Faerie Dust Story
Kawa no Nushizuri/Fisher King
Seiya Monogatari
Princess Minerva
Mysterious Song
Necross
Lady Sword
Hyaku Monogatari
Yamamura Misa Suspense
Private Eyedoll
Silky Lip
Monbit
Alshark
Star Breaker
Tenshi no Utas
KO Seiki Beast
Himitsu no Hanazono
De-Ja
Circus Lido
Zipang
Makai Hakenden Shada
Mystic Formula
Kiaidan 00
Zero4Champs
-Complains about threads for underexposed games because they've been discussed before by non-noobs

-encourages the exposure/discovery of more Japanese-exclusive games

Whaddya want?
Quote from: Gogan on 08/01/2013, 09:54 AMPlay Turbografx.
Play the Turbografx. PLAY
THE TURBOGRAFX!!!!!!

Buh buh buh, I have almost all teh games evar.  I R TEH BESTEST COLLECTR!!

shawnji

Quote from: guest on 11/16/2015, 01:46 PMLike most games, it has been discussed more than once, but the same people try not to start new threads years later just to rehash the same thoughts. Most newer threads on specific games are from newer members who haven't gone through the old ones.
Well...

1.  It's hyperbole.  I, of course, realize that someone has invariably mentioned it before.  That's a given.

2.  I've been a member of the forums for the past four years.  Even if most of my time early on was spent lurking, I never saw anyone mention it.  I'm not sure what the moratorium is on old topics, but I should think four years would be sufficient.  Not to mention, a quick use of the search function reveals almost nothing substantial.  It was listed in several sales threads, a thread about most wanted translations, and a post in the FAQs thread... asking if it had a FAQ (to which it looks like no one responded).  Otherwise, there was a single thread dedicated to it from 2006 that amounted to a handful of responses; including yours.  So far I've gleaned that it was an "undesirable" game.  Wow.  What a bevy of information I gained from that search.

3.  If some people haven't heard of it  (it's already clear some people definitely haven't), then I think it warrants being discussed.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the point of these forums, and this sub-forum in particular, was to talk about PC Engine games?  Whether there's a language barrier or not shouldn't really have any bearing, and after several years of little to no discussion, I think it's safe to say that people honestly haven't been talking about it in any meaningful way; so it kind of seems like my hyperbole wasn't that much of a stretch.

At any rate, I'm sorry if I somehow bothered you by being so enthused about a game... on a gaming board... built specifically for that kind of game.  :-({|=

You'll forgive me if I'm being a bit sassy.  I'm usually a bit more mellow, but work today put me in a bad mood and coming back to one of the few places online I feel like I can relax and have fun, just to get some thinly veiled criticism about me not going back and looking at threads from nearly 10 years ago does tend to sour one's mood. 

*grumble*   ](*,)

ccovell

No, no, please talk about Moonlight Lady, and post cool-looking ingame pics!   I love a good action-RPG too (not so much turn-based RPGs...)

ClodBusted

shawnji

Quote from: ccovell on 11/16/2015, 08:12 PMNo, no, please talk about Moonlight Lady, and post cool-looking ingame pics!   I love a good action-RPG too (not so much turn-based RPGs...)
Quote from: guest on 11/17/2015, 12:48 AMYes, more pics please.
I've been playing on my HDTV, so any pics from there would be ugly, but I think I'll start up a new game on Magic Engine so I can make some images.  I might even use them in a walkthrough, although I hate to make any promises.  I was looking at doing something similar with Kisou Louga, but I still haven't gotten around to it yet, either.

EDIT:  I've modified the first post and added some images.  I'm also building up an inventory of images for a walkthrough of the game that I've started writing.  I'll update as things progress.

Bardoly

Quote from: shawnji on 11/17/2015, 12:51 PM
Quote from: ccovell on 11/16/2015, 08:12 PMNo, no, please talk about Moonlight Lady, and post cool-looking ingame pics!   I love a good action-RPG too (not so much turn-based RPGs...)
Quote from: guest on 11/17/2015, 12:48 AMYes, more pics please.
I've modified the first post and added some images.  I'm also building up an inventory of images for a walkthrough of the game that I've started writing.  I'll update as things progress.
Awesome!  I picked this game up a couple of years ago, and I tried it out for a bit, but my lack of Japanese reading comprehension sidelined it.  Hopefully a translated walkthrough will help.

toktogul

Quote from: shawnji on 11/16/2015, 07:42 PM
Quote from: guest on 11/16/2015, 01:46 PMLike most games, it has been discussed more than once, but the same people try not to start new threads years later just to rehash the same thoughts. Most newer threads on specific games are from newer members who haven't gone through the old ones.
Well...

1.  It's hyperbole.  I, of course, realize that someone has invariably mentioned it before.  That's a given.

2.  I've been a member of the forums for the past four years.  Even if most of my time early on was spent lurking, I never saw anyone mention it.  I'm not sure what the moratorium is on old topics, but I should think four years would be sufficient.  Not to mention, a quick use of the search function reveals almost nothing substantial.  It was listed in several sales threads, a thread about most wanted translations, and a post in the FAQs thread... asking if it had a FAQ (to which it looks like no one responded).  Otherwise, there was a single thread dedicated to it from 2006 that amounted to a handful of responses; including yours.  So far I've gleaned that it was an "undesirable" game.  Wow.  What a bevy of information I gained from that search.

3.  If some people haven't heard of it  (it's already clear some people definitely haven't), then I think it warrants being discussed.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the point of these forums, and this sub-forum in particular, was to talk about PC Engine games?  Whether there's a language barrier or not shouldn't really have any bearing, and after several years of little to no discussion, I think it's safe to say that people honestly haven't been talking about it in any meaningful way; so it kind of seems like my hyperbole wasn't that much of a stretch.

At any rate, I'm sorry if I somehow bothered you by being so enthused about a game... on a gaming board... built specifically for that kind of game.  :-({|=

You'll forgive me if I'm being a bit sassy.  I'm usually a bit more mellow, but work today put me in a bad mood and coming back to one of the few places online I feel like I can relax and have fun, just to get some thinly veiled criticism about me not going back and looking at threads from nearly 10 years ago does tend to sour one's mood. 

*grumble*   ](*,)
Don^t worry too much about those comments, I have enjoyed every posts you have made recently about games you discovered. I can speak and read Japanese, and those games are usually, as you mentionned, forgotten for the lack of interest of non japanese speakers. I recently played through Popful mail because of your post. I adore the game.

Moonlight lady is cheap right now on amazon, so I might give it a try next week. I wish I had the coding knowledge to make a translated version of this game as well. If there is a way to learn, It might be something I am ready to study in the next few years. Those text heavy games are awesome and deserve to be enjoyed by a bigger audience of enthousiasts

pixeljunkie

I am loving this thread. I bought this game years ago just because it looked cool. I often look at it and consider slogging through it. Any tips you post are VERY welcome.

shawnji

Thanks for the words of encouragement, everyone.  I actually finished the game and then started working on a FAQ using GameFAQs' editing tool.  I've gotten the first and second chapters done, but I also did a lot of work on other sections covering things like items, characters, menus, etc...  It shouldn't take too long to finish working on this if I can keep up my current pace, but it'll all depend on how busy my work weeks are and how I feel on my days off.   Still, I've gone ahead and submitted what I have so far to GameFAQs as a "0.01" version so that you can take a look at what's there (as soon as it's approved) until I update it again; which probably won't be until after I get back from Thanksgiving.

pixeljunkie

Quote from: shawnji on 11/22/2015, 11:20 PMThanks for the words of encouragement, everyone.  I actually finished the game and then started working on a FAQ using GameFAQs' editing tool.  I've gotten the first and second chapters done, but I also did a lot of work on other sections covering things like items, characters, menus, etc...  It shouldn't take too long to finish working on this if I can keep up my current pace, but it'll all depend on how busy my work weeks are and how I feel on my days off.   Still, I've gone ahead and submitted what I have so far to GameFAQs as a "0.01" version so that you can take a look at what's there (as soon as it's approved) until I update it again; which probably won't be until after I get back from Thanksgiving.
so rad! Thanks for doing this, I will DEFINITELY play through it now.

toktogul

Quote from: shawnji on 11/22/2015, 11:20 PMThanks for the words of encouragement, everyone.  I actually finished the game and then started working on a FAQ using GameFAQs' editing tool.  I've gotten the first and second chapters done, but I also did a lot of work on other sections covering things like items, characters, menus, etc...  It shouldn't take too long to finish working on this if I can keep up my current pace, but it'll all depend on how busy my work weeks are and how I feel on my days off.   Still, I've gone ahead and submitted what I have so far to GameFAQs as a "0.01" version so that you can take a look at what's there (as soon as it's approved) until I update it again; which probably won't be until after I get back from Thanksgiving.
Glad to hear that! I won the auction, I should receive this game soon. Ill take a look at your guide if I get stuck somewhere. Keep the game suggestions coming, regardless of the laguage barrier it might have!

shawnji

GameFAQs has upped the "0.01" version of the guide.  It still needs a lot of work, review, and editing; but I won't be doing much until I get back home on Sunday evening.  Please feel free to take a look at it and make any suggestions.  I've never used their FAQ editor before, so I'm unsure of how it will look on various browsers.

geise

I've had this game for about 12 years.  I will pick it up and play it maybe...once a year.  I really tried to get into it, but I didn't care for the game play.  It has some nice cutscenes, but the game in general isn't that great.  If anyone gets enjoyment out of it great.  I just didn't find it all that exciting

esteban

I'm late to the party:

https://archives.tg-16.com/Gekkan_PC_Engine_1993_03.htm

I know I have posted a link to this before, but you can punch me if you think my commentary is stupid.

I had fun with the Farrah Fawcett stupidness.
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG