@GTV reviews the Cosmic Fantasy 1-2 Switch collection by Edia, provides examples of the poor English editing/localization work. It's much worse for CF1. Rated "D" for disappointment, finding that TurboGrafx CF2 is better & while CF1's the real draw, Edia screwed it up...
Main Menu

The Anime Thread: Finding Good Anime

Started by DragonmasterDan, 07/08/2011, 12:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gypsy

Discotek put out Boys over Flowers and Marmalade Boy so there hope for Kimagure Orange Road at least. Both of those have more episodes than Kimagure.

I would agree with a lot of what you are saying Clod. We want English subs but that isn't the hope for most random people that might buy it. Anime sales are generally very low so there isn't a ton of some stuff out there.

There is a nice sale right now on Boys Over Flowers right now on Amazon btw.

Medic_wheat

Can anyone confirm if the most recent Ghost in the Shell blue ray release (steel book) has the original opening or the crappy CGI opening?

The original animated movie. Not that love action one.

ClodBusted

Mhmmm
Love action.

Fuck yeah.

Gypsy

I've been watching Hana Yori Dango.

Is it good? Idk, but I can't stop watching it. It's so absurd from the overly dramatic music to the barren backgrounds at the school. The animation and sound are pretty poor overall unfortunately. It's not a product of the era either because there was stuff in the late 90s that was very well animated. I don't even know with the audio. It's so muffled on the Japanese track at times. The characters make a lot of dumb decisions but hey that makes them human right? I think I can see how it's going to end but it's going to be a wild soap opera ride to get there I'm sure.

DragonmasterDan

I got this IMG

Edit: photo replaced
--DragonmasterDan

SignOfZeta

The shitiest camera on the market?
IMG

DragonmasterDan

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 03/27/2018, 07:53 PMThe shitiest camera on the market?
Heh, poor lighting mixed with my cropping the hell out of the photo.
--DragonmasterDan

Gypsy

xcrement5x

Oh man, just saw this from a friend:

LEGEND OF THE GALACTIC HEROES PREMIUM BOX SET
SENTAI FILMWORKS
Language: Japanese with English Subtitles

Runtime: 4430 min.

Included in this release;
Legend of the Galactic Heroes - 110 Episodes
Legend of the Galactic Heroes Gaiden - 52 Episodes
Film 1 - "My Conquest is the Sea of Stars"
Film 2 - "Overture to a New War"
Film 3 - "Golden Wings"

IMG
IMG

Only 1000 copies of the set made, and the sale price is.... $799.99

Awesome series but that price is a ball buster for sure.

https://shop.sentaifilmworks.com/collections/pre-order/products/legend-of-the-galactic-heroes-premium-box-set

Mathius

For that price I hope it'll play on my Neo Geo.

BigusSchmuck

Just finished Devilman Crybaby. Brutal. Tits and gore. Enough said.

roflmao

Quote from: BigusSchmuck on 04/04/2018, 11:51 PMJust finished Devilman Crybaby. Brutal. Tits and gore. Enough said.
Groovy. That's on Netflix, isn't it?

BigusSchmuck

Quote from: guest on 04/04/2018, 11:58 PM
Quote from: BigusSchmuck on 04/04/2018, 11:51 PMJust finished Devilman Crybaby. Brutal. Tits and gore. Enough said.
Groovy. That's on Netflix, isn't it?
Yep, that it is. My few complaints is its too short, they crammed a ton of stuff in 10 eps and took a lot out. Ryo's Engrish in the subbed version is pretty bad. Other than that, I say its better than new Berserk series. Not sure how they will continue the series though unless they put in Devilman Lady or Violence Jack in the mix.

SignOfZeta

Quote from: guest on 03/31/2018, 09:14 PMOh man, just saw this from a friend:

LEGEND OF THE GALACTIC HEROES PREMIUM BOX SET
SENTAI FILMWORKS
Language: Japanese with English Subtitles

Runtime: 4430 min.

Included in this release;
Legend of the Galactic Heroes - 110 Episodes
Legend of the Galactic Heroes Gaiden - 52 Episodes
Film 1 - "My Conquest is the Sea of Stars"
Film 2 - "Overture to a New War"
Film 3 - "Golden Wings"

IMG

IMG

Only 1000 copies of the set made, and the sale price is.... $799.99

Awesome series but that price is a ball buster for sure.

https://shop.sentaifilmworks.com/collections/pre-order/products/legend-of-the-galactic-heroes-premium-box-set
Is that also available in broken down sets? I ask because even in Japan they usually break $800 sets in half.

Also, that dumb outer box...why are they still making massive dumb boxes in fucked up shapes nobody can store? Didn't we learn anything from The Eye of Folger or The Matrix?
IMG

Gypsy

No. Only that dumb behemoth set. They said they don't plan to release a fragmented/set version either. Annoying.

Agree on the packaging. I have too many obnoxious anime sets already.

SignOfZeta

I hope they can move them. I'm quite solidly in the demographic for this set but I'm simply not paying that much for it, not at once anyway. Most Japanese sets top out at $400-500. I'm not sure how they figure Americans will pay more when most are too cheap or poor to pay real money for any media anymore.
IMG

Gypsy

I farking love LoGH, but $800 is a tough pill to swallow all at once for sure.

I'd easily buy all of it if they did 6 sets @ $50-60 each and all the movies individually for like $20-$25 each.

I paid a fair bit for my Ranma and Gundam BD sets but it was fragmented and over time.

So odds are I will never own this set, but I'm okay with that. I already watched it and enjoyed it.

SignOfZeta

If they did six sets I'd never find them all. :) I think two halves for the series and another box for the movies would make sense. It's obvious they are between a rock and a hard place when it comes to finding a way to pay for such a massive show. Looking back at the LD era...this show was always expensive. But even when it was still coming out in Japan during peak-anime there were alternate ways of buying it. The original VHS releases were by subscription and many of the LDs that were in sets were also available in single volumes. This isn't the most expensive way to buy it but it may be the single most expensive release in the history of the show, and it's for the US...where it's never been released before.

Like I said, I hope they move them. I also hope that dumb box isn't as shitty as it looks but it's probably even worse. :)
IMG

seieienbu

LoGH is probably my second favorite anime after Record of Lodoss War.  With that said, I don't think I'd buy this set unless it was ridiculously marked down.
Current want list:  Bomberman 93

Gypsy

On the topic of shitty cases I don't understand why it's so hard to make a good case.

I have some that are almost impossible to get the disc out of (some of these from within the last year even...), horrible bulky digipaks, then there was that era (I want to say from like 2001-2005 or so) where anime companies used these mongoloid irreplaceable book type cases*, metal tins and....whatever the actual fuck my MoonPhase and Trinity Blood sets are in (I can take pictures of these if anyone is interested, they are bizarre).

*I tried to find a good picture of this online but couldn't. It's the ones that are a singular case but open all fragmented. They are at their worst when it's a 6+ disc set. When it's something that was 3 or so discs it isn't nearly as annoying.

SignOfZeta

Yeah. It's puzzling. Especially since a stack of boring Amaray cases look great, lasts forever, are easy to access, etc and cost LESS than custom Digipacks that fall apart if they don't arrive broken. Last XMas I was lucky enough to receive the Mary Hartman Mary Hartman complete series. It's 136 eps plus bonus making it somewhat similar in run time to this set and while the art is not great (basically the same two or three pics repeated endlessly throught the set) it *does* fit on a shelf this box set clearly never would because the outer box isn't filled with air like this SD coffin or whatever the fuck it is. 

These days...either BR sized or LP/LD 12x12 or GTFO. I don't know what these clowns are thinking.
IMG

soop

I've been watching Hajime No Ippo.  Really enjoyed it, it's one of the best I've seen.  I also liked Baki the Grappler, but this is just ahead of the field.  I only have about 15 episodes left which is sad,  But it actually had me laughing out loud yesterday, which few things can do.

If anyone's interested, it's an anime about boxing, but that doesn't really do it justice.  It's apparently a Shonen, though I don't really know what that means.
Quote from: esteban on 04/26/2018, 04:44 PMSHUTTLECOCK OR SHUFFLE OFF!

Mathius

Been watching the OVA and first three films of Patlabor. This is my first time through. Really beautiful 90s animation.

BigusSchmuck

I bought the LOGH bootleg dvd boxset back in the early 2000s just to have it subbed. It's nice knowing there are other LOGH fans out there. :)

xcrement5x

Quote from: BigusSchmuck on 04/07/2018, 12:40 PMI bought the LOGH bootleg dvd boxset back in the early 2000s just to have it subbed. It's nice knowing there are other LOGH fans out there. :)
It's an amazing series, I'd love to get it but like that price is just a ball buster.

ClodBusted

A friend made me watching the first two episodes of Bakemonogatari. He promised me something along the lines of Madoka.

Also, I think this description of Neon Genesis Evangelion is hilarious, because it's true:

QuoteNeon Genesis Evangelion: An edgy teen, a girl with no emotions, and the biggest bitch in the universe are humanity's last hope against giant, strange aliens. With their huge, cable-powered robots, they have to prevent the attackers from space (or sometimes even the sea) in a huge tower defense game from reaching the base of the (actually evil) good which lies, for whatever reason, under a well populated city, although the builders knew that the area around them would become a huge battlefield. Add to that tons of religious symbolism and some pseudo-psychological bullshit.
Source: Stupidedia

I watched EVA on TV in 2000/2001. I liked the series, but I also can't deny the criticism that is conveyed by the quoted text above.

Gypsy

Definitely not wrong LOL.

I'm hooked on Hana Yori Dango and City Hunter lately. Watched another disc of HYD last weekend. Was able to snag City Hunter Season 2 Collection 2 for a reasonable price from a store I hadn't checked in awhile. Their location up in NecroPhile corn land had it, and they are shipping it to me. Not a steal but way better than the insane prices people are asking right now.

Gypsy

So I was looking into picking up the old Arslan OAV and unfortunately it's all CPM trash. I was wondering if anyone here had experience with the discs. I would assume they all just use the same exact master but I was curious enough to try and confirm that.

ParanoiaDragon

With everything going on in my life right now, I really need to laugh more to keep my spirits up.  I was perusing Netflix, looking for some Anime I haven't seen before.  Any thoughts on funny Anime?  I like some ridiculousness, but, I can only handle so much.  Like Bo Bobo Bobobo or whatever....just is too much for me.
IMG

Mathius

Quote from: ParanoiaDragon on 05/15/2018, 03:31 AMWith everything going on in my life right now, I really need to laugh more to keep my spirits up.  I was perusing Netflix, looking for some Anime I haven't seen before.  Any thoughts on funny Anime?  I like some ridiculousness, but, I can only handle so much.  Like Bo Bobo Bobobo or whatever....just is too much for me.
One-punch Man is quite possibly the funniest anime I've ever seen. My Hero Academia is a very similar yet equally awesome anime. Both are sure to lift your spirit.

geise

Sorry to hear you have so much going on Dragon. I would also recommend One Punch Man. Also for oldschool I enjoyed Dragon Half.

Gypsy

Dunno if it's on the sites you use or not but Ranma is good, funny, mindless entertainment.

ParanoiaDragon

I have Dragon Half on dvd.  I wish it wasn't so dang short, would've loved an entire series of that!  One Punch Man, that's on Netflix, almost picked it the other night, but when reading the description, I started thinking it was more serious than I had hoped for.  I'll give that a try along with My Hero Academy(I think I saw that on there).  I've never actually watched it, not sure if it's on any streaming service, so I'd have to find it on dvd, & I think it's a lengthy series IIRC?
IMG

seieienbu

I loved Dragon Half when I was in highschool.  Looking back, I think it's incredibly trend setting as there are now dozens of anime/manga that are essentially parodies of Dragon Quest.  Dragon Half (to the best of my knowledge) started that whole business.

If you haven't, I'd recommend reading the Dragon Half manga.  It's very funny.
Current want list:  Bomberman 93

Mathius

Quote from: ParanoiaDragon on 05/16/2018, 02:02 AMI have Dragon Half on dvd.  I wish it wasn't so dang short, would've loved an entire series of that!  One Punch Man, that's on Netflix, almost picked it the other night, but when reading the description, I started thinking it was more serious than I had hoped for.  I'll give that a try along with My Hero Academy(I think I saw that on there).  I've never actually watched it, not sure if it's on any streaming service, so I'd have to find it on dvd, & I think it's a lengthy series IIRC?
Both One Punch Man and My Hero Academia are on Hulu. Netflix only has OPM I believe.BUT, only Netflix has the awesome English Dub for OPM. They did a great job. MHA is dubbed on Hulu as well and its dub is just as good if not better. Don't miss out on either in any format. Hands down two of my favorites with loads of laughs and action to be had. They're not dark, joyless and grimy like so many other anime out these days.

aslbozz

What's the take on Dragon Ball Super, was this season any good?

DragonmasterDan

Quote from: ParanoiaDragon on 05/16/2018, 02:02 AMI have Dragon Half on dvd.  I wish it wasn't so dang short, would've loved an entire series of that! 
I bought it on a RightStuf DiscoTek DVD sale because it had a cool cover. I've still never watched it.
--DragonmasterDan

DragonmasterDan

My Lupin Series IV Blu-Rays arrived earlier in the week, I've been making my way through that. Unfortunately, it's an English dub only release
--DragonmasterDan

Gypsy

Quote from: DragonmasterDan on 05/31/2018, 12:47 PMMy Lupin Series IV Blu-Rays arrived earlier in the week, I've been making my way through that. Unfortunately, it's an English dub only release
Sub only release coming later. Weird licensing thing.

DragonmasterDan

Quote from: Gypsy on 06/04/2018, 02:41 PM
Quote from: DragonmasterDan on 05/31/2018, 12:47 PMMy Lupin Series IV Blu-Rays arrived earlier in the week, I've been making my way through that. Unfortunately, it's an English dub only release
Sub only release coming later. Weird licensing thing.
We also don't get the Yuji Ohno music on this release. Just this weird Japanese R&B instead o_0
--DragonmasterDan

SignOfZeta

Well that's f*cked.

Similarly f*cked: did Zeta Gundam ever get it's real music put back for the US? It was missing from the OG DVD, and I'm pretty sure it's still gone. f*cked.

Weird part? Neil Sedaka wrote the songs. They don't even use them in Super Robot Wars, not even in the new games that come with the option to pay %50 just to get real music. f*cking rights bullshit...
IMG

Gypsy

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 06/04/2018, 05:59 PMWell that's f*cked.

Similarly f*cked: did Zeta Gundam ever get it's real music put back for the US? It was missing from the OG DVD, and I'm pretty sure it's still gone. f*cked.

Weird part? Neil Sedaka wrote the songs. They don't even use them in Super Robot Wars, not even in the new games that come with the option to pay %50 just to get real music. f*cking rights bullshit...
It's a real kick in the shit. I can check Zeta for you (I have the BDs), is the original up on youtube? I assume it would be but you never know...

ParanoiaDragon

Quote from: Mathius on 05/15/2018, 04:12 PM
Quote from: ParanoiaDragon on 05/15/2018, 03:31 AMWith everything going on in my life right now, I really need to laugh more to keep my spirits up.  I was perusing Netflix, looking for some Anime I haven't seen before.  Any thoughts on funny Anime?  I like some ridiculousness, but, I can only handle so much.  Like Bo Bobo Bobobo or whatever....just is too much for me.
One-punch Man is quite possibly the funniest anime I've ever seen. My Hero Academia is a very similar yet equally awesome anime. Both are sure to lift your spirit.
Unfortunately, One Punch Man on Netflix seems to be sub only.  They must've removed the dub for some reason.  I did watch a couple of ep's of Gurren Lagann, it seems to have some good humor in it.
IMG

DragonmasterDan

With Lupin from my understanding is the crazy licensing is due to the fact that it actually aired first and was financed by some broadcaster in Italy, and it had different music there. The Yuji Ohno stuff was added for the Japanese dub.
--DragonmasterDan

Mathius

Quote from: ParanoiaDragon on 06/05/2018, 04:01 AM
Quote from: Mathius on 05/15/2018, 04:12 PM
Unfortunately, One Punch Man on Netflix seems to be sub only.  They must've removed the dub for some reason.  I did watch a couple of ep's of Gurren Lagann, it seems to have some good humor in it.
I'd just buy the Season 1 DVD. It's worth it. Gurren Lagann is pretty dang good. Not the best, but good.

ParanoiaDragon

I probably will eventually, but right now I have nowhere to put my dvd's.  I'm trying to simplify/streamline my office & get rid of stuff(mainly a lot of Transformers along with GI Joe, He-man, etc.).  I can't even get to my dvd's since there's so much stuff in boxes,  ](*,)  I made a deal with a company to buy that stuff off me, but it's still going to take a while to get it all boxed up right & shipped.  I pray that someday I can't go into my office & actually enjoy being in there!  :derpcat: When that'll be, I don't know.  It's kind of tied into everything going on in my family's life right now, making life extra busy & stressful, hence why I need to laugh!
IMG

SignOfZeta

Quote from: Gypsy on 06/04/2018, 10:46 PM

It's a real kick in the shit. I can check Zeta for you (I have the BDs), is the original up on youtube? I assume it would be but you never know...
It probably is. I've really only seen the show on LD and that has all the real music.
IMG

Gypsy

Yeah it is not the original one on the recent BD release.

RyuHayabusa

Anyone else get the Robot Carnival Blu-Ray that came out not that long ago? I must say it's one of the best BR anime releases I've ever seen due to the all the extra content. They really went all out. Wish they did that with more old school anime releases. Picked up Vampire Hunter D and Golgo 13 The Professional on BR hoping for more extras but was let down a bit. Also, anyone here a fan of Yu Yu Hakusho? Just picked up the full series on DVD and getting ready to jump into it for the first time. Heard some good things about it so I decided to give it a try.

SignOfZeta

I probably would have gotten the Robot Carnival BR if they hadn't decided to crop the thing to wide screen.  I know they say it was "always meant to be" wide but I've been watching it for decades in with the variable ratios, usually 4:3 so it would probably drive me nuts to watch it cropped.
IMG