The Analogue Turbo Duo clone shipped in time for Christmas 2023. Are you happy with yours ?? Find firmware updates here.
Main Menu

Game Sack

Started by Joe Redifer, 07/25/2011, 05:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CrackTiger

I think that a good topic would be "Games that killed franchises for me". There's no wrong answers there.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

Gentlegamer

Mass Effect 3
IMG
Quote from: VenomMacbeth on 10/25/2015, 02:35 PMGentle with games, rough with collectards.  Riders gon riiiiide.

TR0N

IMG
PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

cr8zykuban0

Even though the ps1 was more successful, saturn had a lot of potential and cranked out some amazing arcade ports, sadly many that never came out to the states :/

Psycho Punch

Saturn would have been as good as the PSX if they didn't make such a complicated machine to use and they stopped fighting with Sega of America for dumb reasons. N64 would probably be able to win over both if they went for optical based media because their hardware was badass.

I didn't watch the video fully yet but I saw the comments and I can't believe people are using the old "N64 has better software overall, most PS1 games were garbage" argument. The library's so huge you could probably have 5 good games for every 1 game on the N64. Development was cheaper for sony's console overall and that's why there's a good amount of shitty games, but that also means that there's a lot of decent to great games in all budget ranges to choose from.
This Toxic Turbo Turd/Troll & Clone Warrior calls himself "Burning Fight!!" on Neo-Geo.com
For a good time, reach out to: aleffrenan94@gmail.com or punchballmariobros@gmail.com
Like DildoKobold, dildos are provided free of charge, no need to bring your own! :lol:
He also ran scripts to steal/clone this forum which blew up the error logs! I had to delete THOUSANDS of errors cause of this nutcase!
how_to_spell_ys_sign_origin_ver.webp

Gypsy

Amazing story in FF7? Well I guess the video did get posted to youtube on April 1st.  :dance:

Oh and I would like to add, I enjoyed the Franchise Killers episode. Thanks Joe for the fun content.

Quote from: guest on 04/02/2017, 07:09 AMI didn't watch the video fully yet but I saw the comments and I can't believe people are using the old "N64 has better software overall, most PS1 games were garbage" argument. The library's so huge you could probably have 5 good games for every 1 game on the N64. Development was cheaper for sony's console overall and that's why there's a good amount of shitty games, but that also means that there's a lot of decent to great games in all budget ranges to choose from.
Typical bullshit that keeps getting spewed so some accept it as fact. The PS1 library slaughters the N64 library just like you said, on sheer numbers. Hell I don't even really keep any N64 games around...

Dicer

I've had more fun with the Saturn overall, Superior 2D non-warbly 3D, and games better suited to my tastes...

seieienbu

I think if I only had one console from that generation, I would have to choose PS1 with the Saturn in a relatively close second place.  The N64 on the other hand?  That's a console in a very distant third place and that's primarily due to the library of games on the platform. 

Perhaps due to the small library, N64 games feel very homogeneous to me.  The system doesn't have the same number of unique experimental games.  One of my favorite things about that console generation was the number of games trying to figure out things like 2.5D levels, working 2D sprites into 3D worlds, and games looking so unique at the time.  Looking back, I don't believe that the 3D games from that era held up as well as 2D games from that generation or earlier.  On the N64 though?  It felt like every game is by and large a blurry 3D mess.  I don't have the same feelings of the experimental games on the Saturn or the PS1 so I just don't like the library as much overall.

It would have been interesting to see this sort of video include the N64 too, but this definitely leaves room for a sequel-ish video down the road.  Either way, it was an enjoyable episode.
Current want list:  Bomberman 93

Groover

That was another fun episode.

I would also choose PlayStation but Saturn is something that I keep discovering gems. I wish I was finding them in 2000. I really find myself playing the Saturn more these days than the PlayStation.
IMG

ClodBusted

Great episode, as always.

Does anybody know the technical reason behind the PlayStation's signature texture warping? And is this behavior found on every 3D game, or are there ways to eliminate it?

Psycho Punch

Quote from: guest on 04/03/2017, 01:43 AMGreat episode, as always.

Does anybody know the technical reason behind the PlayStation's signature texture warping? And is this behavior found on every 3D game, or are there ways to eliminate it?
If I recall correctly you had your 3D stuff projected into 2D before texturing was applied, and since you can't do perspective correction without knowing the depth of the vertices, the PS1 did only a cheap affine texture mapping. I don't think anything can be done (except in emulation maybe)

IMG

EDIT: Back in 1995 (an extremely boring game that totally misses the point of what it's trying to recreate) does the "PS1 distortion" quite well.
This Toxic Turbo Turd/Troll & Clone Warrior calls himself "Burning Fight!!" on Neo-Geo.com
For a good time, reach out to: aleffrenan94@gmail.com or punchballmariobros@gmail.com
Like DildoKobold, dildos are provided free of charge, no need to bring your own! :lol:
He also ran scripts to steal/clone this forum which blew up the error logs! I had to delete THOUSANDS of errors cause of this nutcase!

TDIRunner

Awesome video.  This was probably my favorite video game generation, or at least the one I have the most memories of.  I was definitely a PS1 guy during that time, but even back then I would have happily owned a Saturn if I had the funds to own more than one console at a time, but such things were pretty unheard of back then.
Maybe, just once, someone will call me "sir" without adding, "you're making a scene."

Gypsy

Quote from: seieienbu on 04/02/2017, 09:44 PMI think if I only had one console from that generation, I would have to choose PS1 with the Saturn in a relatively close second place.  The N64 on the other hand?  That's a console in a very distant third place and that's primarily due to the library of games on the platform.
Tough call. Complete library I think I'd lean towards the Saturn. I certainly have way more Saturn games. Importing it is easier (I have a Japanese PS2 I'm talking about entry level, all you need is a 4 in 1, gameshark or pseudo saturn). Of course importing is a much bigger key for Saturn ownership in the first place (not unlike the PCE). US library only I'd take PS1.

What isn't a tough call is the N64. Let's say I only get 3 consoles from the gen. I am taking PS1, Saturn and....PC-FX. It's not even close really. PC-FX has unique experiences that were never ported elsewhere. In comparison just about anything I could want to play for N64 (not much to begin with) is available on another system.

Digi.k

good video.  I've watched it like 3 times now.

Wished more saturn games could have been shown on there.

crazydean

Quote from: Gypsy on 04/03/2017, 11:27 AM
Quote from: seieienbu on 04/02/2017, 09:44 PMI think if I only had one console from that generation, I would have to choose PS1 with the Saturn in a relatively close second place.  The N64 on the other hand?  That's a console in a very distant third place and that's primarily due to the library of games on the platform.
Tough call. Complete library I think I'd lean towards the Saturn. I certainly have way more Saturn games. Importing it is easier (I have a Japanese PS2 I'm talking about entry level, all you need is a 4 in 1, gameshark or pseudo saturn). Of course importing is a much bigger key for Saturn ownership in the first place (not unlike the PCE). US library only I'd take PS1.

What isn't a tough call is the N64. Let's say I only get 3 consoles from the gen. I am taking PS1, Saturn and....PC-FX. It's not even close really. PC-FX has unique experiences that were never ported elsewhere. In comparison just about anything I could want to play for N64 (not much to begin with) is available on another system.
I see no one wants to talk about the Jaguar CD.

Gypsy

A system I would take the N64 over!  :dance:

Bloufo

Quote from: crazydean on 04/03/2017, 06:54 PMI see no one wants to talk about the Jaguar CD.
I still fire it up every now and then. More for the VLM show rather than the "games". :P

esadajr

Just finished watching the lastest episode last night. Really enjoyed it, The Saturn has no doubt a vast amount of great titles, but even counting the Japan exclusives I still have to side with the Playstation. After all, where else can you play Medievil?
Gaming since 1985

geise

Lol with comparing games.  Mainly with rpg's on the ps1.  Suikoden and Vandal Hearts were released on the saturn.  I'll take Panzer Dragoon Saga over FFVII anyday of the week. With my shitty 2 cents said.  Fantastic Video!

EvilEvoIX

Quote from: Bloufo on 04/04/2017, 02:29 AM
Quote from: crazydean on 04/03/2017, 06:54 PMI see no one wants to talk about the Jaguar CD.
I still fire it up every now and then. More for the VLM show rather than the "games". :P
Same here, I love Brain Dead 13, Baldies, Battle Morph.  Space ace is fun.
IMGIMGIMG
Quote from: PCEngineHellI already dropped him a message on there and he did not reply back, so fuck him, and his cunt wife.

Psycho Punch

Screw the Jaguar CD, if you want a different piece of hardware the 3do is where its at, it has way more interesting games.

TR0N

IMG

Gypsy

Another good video. At first I was wondering if y'all were going to mention Ori, then you did, and all was good. There is ALWAYS shame to playing on easy though. Gawd what a newb.  :dance:

esadajr

I wish PC games had physical releases but I know it's just a pipe dream. Pop in the disc, install the game then Bob's your uncle.
Gaming since 1985

Gypsy

Quote from: esadajr on 04/17/2017, 05:36 PMI wish PC games had physical releases but I know it's just a pipe dream. Pop in the disc, install the game then Bob's your uncle.
Yeah this would be great but ohhhh has that ship sailed. :(

TR0N

IMG

Medic_wheat

Well I guess this answered Nullys question about cheap NES games that are shooters and RPGs which happen to be cheap.

I might have been half awake. But I don't remember seeing any sega games (apart from the one D.C. Game). Considering they had four Nintendo games listed.

I also liked how the majority of the games listed happened to be good to decent games.

Gredler

Hahaha great skit at the end of that one.

munchiaz

a fun episode. xexzy makes me think of the word sexy

esadajr

Good memories playing Xexyz (see sees).
Gaming since 1985

Winniez

Great episode as usual and loved the end skit. Would be great to get more of those "impress your friends with" skits

TR0N

IMG

esadajr

Had to use the facilities after watching that PPP of Sonic.

Another one for the brainstorming session "Poorly translated games".
Gaming since 1985

TR0N

IMG

Gypsy

I'm in the same boat with CoD. I would never pay full retail (lol) but when I can pick them up for $5 or less that's well worth the campaign mode for me.

sirhcman

It was nice that Dave and Joe were able to get one of the former art designers of Treyarch on the show, it was a cool change of pace.. good episode as usual!

seieienbu

I always really liked Zelda 2.  I played it when it was new and the fact that the enemies actually knew that I were there and were actively trying to kill me seemed really unique at the time.  I still find the fencing enjoyable today.
Current want list:  Bomberman 93

GohanX

Quote from: Gypsy on 05/28/2017, 09:38 AMI'm in the same boat with CoD. I would never pay full retail (lol) but when I can pick them up for $5 or less that's well worth the campaign mode for me.
CoD campaigns are a good time imo. I don't play online, I just wait for them to reach $20 or below. It's fun to blow through on a weekend.

Gypsy

Yeah I just recently got Black Ops 1/2 for a dollar each. I'll have some fun with em.

Dicer

Eh, it was alright...

CrackTiger

I assume that JJ & Jeff has been covered by now.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

sirhcman

Quote from: guest on 05/29/2017, 12:39 PMI assume that JJ & Jeff has been covered by now.
Episode 86
All games shown on GS are here: http://www.gamesack.net/gamesack.html

CrackTiger

I meant as a polarizing game, because I can't think of a more genuine one. Its polarization isn't tainted from being part of a "legendary" franchise either.

I guess they are on the love/like it side though, if it's deserving of a sequel.

Joe Redifer

JJ & Jeff will also make an appearance in episode 200.

ClodBusted

Spoiler ALERT!!

TR0N

IMG

TR0N

IMG

Gypsy

Yeah Gearbolt is pretty great.

Dicer

So basically Saturn is ass for Lightgun games...

CrackTiger

Although I disagree about Virtua Cops and think that their about as good as light games get, it's cool that Joe didn't dismiss House of the Dead because of the visuals, as it's still a great game and still feels like playing the arcade version.

But for less than $200 you can buy on eBay a Japanese Saturn, two black stunners, Virta Cop 1 and 2 and House of the Dead, including shipping.

If Game Sack was one of those shows which pretends that Japan doesn't exist and tailored to collectors, I'd expect a comment about HotD being $200. Seems all the more out of place in an episode full of Japanese-only releases.

Virtua Cops and the first two House of the Dead games are the only light gun games I've really enjoyed since the transition to 3D. Virtua Cop 2 for Saturn is actually pushing a lot and the clarity of the crisp solid 3D in the Saturn Virtua Cop games really makes them feel like the arcade versions and that the shooting is accurate, without misc distortion muddying up what you're trying to shoot and not shoot at.