@GTV reviews the Cosmic Fantasy 1-2 Switch collection by Edia, provides examples of the poor English editing/localization work. It's much worse for CF1. Rated "D" for disappointment, finding that TurboGrafx CF2 is better & while CF1's the real draw, Edia screwed it up...
Main Menu

Game Sack

Started by Joe Redifer, 07/25/2011, 05:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

majors

Super long! More sack for my viewing pleasure.
TG/PCE Collection.
"Booze should be a choice, not a privilege" -KCDC (The FP)

TDIRunner

I enjoyed this episode.  I used to play Die Hard Trilogy on PS1 for hours on end.  I probably enjoyed the light gun portion of the game more than anything else, although the driving portion of part 3 was also fun as it was the closest thing to an open world game that I had ever seen back then.
Maybe, just once, someone will call me "sir" without adding, "you're making a scene."

o.pwuaioc

Quote from: CrackTiger on 06/26/2017, 01:47 PMBut for less than $200 you can buy on eBay a Japanese Saturn, two black stunners, Virta Cop 1 and 2 and House of the Dead, including shipping.
Or just get an Action Replay cart. I agree, though, HotD is a great game, and the Japanese version is the way to go.

I eventually want to get HotD2 for the DC along with Confidential Mission. I was surprised that there weren't a slew of good light gun games for that system, though.

DragonmasterDan

Quote from: guest on 06/27/2017, 01:16 PMOr just get an Action Replay cart. I agree, though, HotD is a great game, and the Japanese version is the way to go.
Just remember, Saturn cartridge slot reliability is like that of a grade A egg after playing catch using a slingtshot at 30 yards away.
--DragonmasterDan

Gypsy

Gotta leave that effer in there.

o.pwuaioc

Quote from: DragonmasterDan on 06/27/2017, 01:46 PM
Quote from: guest on 06/27/2017, 01:16 PMOr just get an Action Replay cart. I agree, though, HotD is a great game, and the Japanese version is the way to go.
Just remember, Saturn cartridge slot reliability is like that of a grade A egg after playing catch using a slingtshot at 30 yards away.
I just leave mine in there at all times. No need to remove it, and I've never had any issues.

DragonmasterDan

Quote from: guest on 06/27/2017, 02:14 PMI just leave mine in there at all times. No need to remove it, and I've never had any issues.
Yeah, I have.. a few Saturns..

I generally leave the memory cards in place permanently. I've been through 15 or so in the past 22 years, almost entirely changed out due to unusable cart slots (Funcoland used to have a year long warranty you could buy where they'd swap systems no questions asked, and believe me I had to use it as I switched between memory cards, netlink, action replay carts, etc).
--DragonmasterDan

Gypsy

I also keep multiple Saturns for this reason. I have US Saturns with regular AR and PS. JP Saturns with RAM carts. Can't see myself bothering to get more US systems to put RAM carts in, since I'd rather just buy JP versions anyway.

TDIRunner

Quote from: guest on 06/27/2017, 02:14 PM
Quote from: DragonmasterDan on 06/27/2017, 01:46 PM
I just leave mine in there at all times. No need to remove it, and I've never had any issues.
I don't think I've removed mine since I put it in.  Action Replay cheats, RAM expansion, extra save memory, region unlocking.  No reason to ever remove the thing.
Maybe, just once, someone will call me "sir" without adding, "you're making a scene."

DragonmasterDan

Quote from: TDIRunner on 06/27/2017, 03:07 PMI don't think I've removed mine since I put it in.  Action Replay cheats, RAM expansion, extra save memory, region unlocking.  No reason to ever remove the thing. 
It can't directly save to the cartridge from within a game for one thing. If you have KoF or back in the day wanted to use the netlink there was another. Try playing Panzer Dragoon Saga US with that thing in.
--DragonmasterDan

TDIRunner

Quote from: DragonmasterDan on 06/27/2017, 03:25 PM
Quote from: TDIRunner on 06/27/2017, 03:07 PMI don't think I've removed mine since I put it in.  Action Replay cheats, RAM expansion, extra save memory, region unlocking.  No reason to ever remove the thing. 
It can't directly save to the cartridge from within a game for one thing. If you have KoF or back in the day wanted to use the netlink there was another. Try playing Panzer Dragoon Saga US with that thing in.
So far none of those things have required me to take the cart out, especially the netlink adapter.  In the past 5 years, I've needed that a total of zero times.

LostFlunky

Quote from: guest on 06/27/2017, 01:16 PM
Quote from: guest on 06/26/2017, 01:47 PMBut for less than $200 you can buy on eBay a Japanese Saturn, two black stunners, Virta Cop 1 and 2 and House of the Dead, including shipping.
Or just get an Action Replay cart. I agree, though, HotD is a great game, and the Japanese version is the way to go.

I eventually want to get HotD2 for the DC along with Confidential Mission. I was surprised that there weren't a slew of good light gun games for that system, though.
There is also a JP only Virtua Cop 2 for DC.  I've had the JP HOTD2 since launch, great game - wasn't the US version gun crippled or something like that?

o.pwuaioc

Quote from: Lost Monkey on 06/27/2017, 04:41 PMThere is also a JP only Virtua Cop 2 for DC.  I've had the JP HOTD2 since launch, great game - wasn't the US version gun crippled or something like that?
That came out on a compilation disc, right? The Saturn version suits me well enough.

I really have no idea about DC light gun stuff, as I never owned one or any of the games for it. It just surprises me because it's this great arcade machine yet not many light guns even exist for it, let alone be any good.

LostFlunky

Quote from: guest on 06/27/2017, 05:07 PM
Quote from: Lost Monkey on 06/27/2017, 04:41 PMThere is also a JP only Virtua Cop 2 for DC.  I've had the JP HOTD2 since launch, great game - wasn't the US version gun crippled or something like that?
That came out on a compilation disc, right? The Saturn version suits me well enough.

I really have no idea about DC light gun stuff, as I never owned one or any of the games for it. It just surprises me because it's this great arcade machine yet not many light guns even exist for it, let alone be any good.
VC2 is a straight up single game release - not on a comp.

Regarding US DC and lightguns - from Wikipedia:
The Dreamcast Gun is a light gun that was released only in Europe and Asia, where it is the official light gun for use. It works on American consoles, as all Dreamcast peripherals are region-free. However, many of the American games are region-locked and will not work with the Japanese gun; many of them will display a message such as "This gun incompatible in North America (HOTD2)". This was an intentional move on Sega's part, who were worried about bad press after the Columbine High School massacre. Instead, Mad Catz released an officially licensed light gun in America, which does work with Sega's US gun games. The official European and Asian Dreamcast Gun does not work with any American games. American consoles can run Japanese games using this gun since it is the software that disallows the gun, not the console.

I knew I remembered something messed up about the US DC and light guns.  I bought the Japanese HOTD2 set (I had a Japanese console before the US release) so I never bothered with any US light gun games.  The limits are in software though, so if you have a modified bios or boot disc to play Japanese games, you can use the official light gun.

Joe Redifer

Virtua Cop 2 on Dreamcast game on the Sega Smash Pack, a disc containing accurate emulation of many Genesis... even more accurate than the original games themselves!

LostFlunky

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 06/30/2017, 04:31 AMVirtua Cop 2 on Dreamcast game on the Sega Smash Pack, a disc containing accurate emulation of many Genesis... even more accurate than the original games themselves!
That's right!  I forgot about that atrocity...

TR0N

IMG
PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

esadajr

I love Enduro on the Master System, brings backs good memories.
Gaming since 1985

crazydean

This episode could have just been Arcade Ports on NES.

TR0N

IMG

seieienbu

As much as I love SF I didn't really care for SF2 HD Remix.  The game had a crazy look that made like zero sense.  You had things like the elephants that looked super shine-y and oddities in the animation like Balrog's head shrinking when he went from walking backward to blocking that drove me crazy.  The original concept art gave the characters more colors all over the place and when the game was finally released I thought it looked cheaper in comparison. 

I vastly prefer the look of the older games in the series.
Current want list:  Bomberman 93

o.pwuaioc

San Francisco 2: Homeless Destruction.

TR0N

IMG

ccovell

Oh, my God.  Wild Woody makes me want to stick actual pencils in my eyes.  :[

And Awesome Possum... it doesn't run at 15 fps... just going by the video, it has 2 identical frames, then 3, then 2, 3, etc... that comes to 12 frames per second.

Thanks Joe and Dave, you reminded me of the hatred I had for US-developed Genesis games during the 90s...  it's a feeling I hadn't felt in a long time.  :|

crazydean

I thought they already had an episode on the Genesis.

Gypsy

Quote from: ccovell on 08/06/2017, 08:15 AMOh, my God.  Wild Woody makes me want to stick actual pencils in my eyes.  :[

And Awesome Possum... it doesn't run at 15 fps... just going by the video, it has 2 identical frames, then 3, then 2, 3, etc... that comes to 12 frames per second.

Thanks Joe and Dave, you reminded me of the hatred I had for US-developed Genesis games during the 90s...  it's a feeling I hadn't felt in a long time.  :|
Ha. I didn't even know about that Socket turd.

ClodBusted

Tude 'em up!

Great pun! Great episode. That wacky camere movement! Lol.

EDIT: The choppy scrolling of Awesome Possum brings back memories of Cosmo's Cosmic Adventure on DOS PC, where the screen scrolling is tile based or something like that. Wikipedia says about Cosmo
Quote(...) parallax scrolling, this feature came at the cost of the game's frame rate, moving the graphics in increments of 8 pixels (the size of one game tile) instead of 1 pixel.
Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cosmo%27s_Cosmic_Adventure#Implementation

Michirin9801

Quote from: guest on 08/07/2017, 01:32 AM
Quote(...) parallax scrolling, this feature came at the cost of the game's frame rate, moving the graphics in increments of 8 pixels (the size of one game tile) instead of 1 pixel.
Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cosmo%27s_Cosmic_Adventure#Implementation
That's the same thing they did in Ys III, but I didn't mind the choppy scrolling in that game, I guess playing a lot of PC-98 and 88 action games made me tolerant towards this kind of scrolling...
There's literally no reason to do that on the Mega Drive though, that was just s*** coding, but I'd only expect as much from Tengen...

ClodBusted

I was able to beat Cosmo in the mid 90s. The choppy scrolling was a bit annoying when you knew that earlier PC games (e.g. Commander Keen Secret of the Oracle) and systems (hell, even the NES) could do way better. But still, at least this wasn't slowdown, the game ran just fine and was reacting quick to your inputs, just as it should. Plus, having parallax scrolling in a DOS game at all was mindblowing, and I did not realize until today that Cosmo ran in 16 color EGA mode - to me as a kid it must have looked like rather 256 color VGA instead. But then, both Keen SotO and Cosmo did some nice spritework and level design to hide their EGA limitations.

TR0N

IMG

ccovell

A fun episode, and yeah, it is always nostalgic & therapeutic to pick up any old magazine, whether good or bad.

Winniez

Absolutely love the 'tude episode, in gaming and even outside of gaming I have found the lack of the 90s 'tude parodies disturbing.

ToyMachine78

I wish I still had all the issues of Gamepro and EGM I once owned. I was impressed that your originals were still in such good condition.

My magazines were destroyed after a year from toting them to friends houses, carrying them in the backpack back and forth from school, and looking through them a bazillion times.

If the cover ever came off, which seemed to happen often on gamepro, the pages would eventually go too, one by one.

Great episode though. Seeing some of those covers and ads brought back some fond memories.

Bloufo

The TurboGrafx-16/PC Engine - Review - Part 2
Someone embed the vid for me. Can't seem to do it from this side.

ccovell

When you change the "https://" to "http://", videos can be embedded.

Keith Courage

Looks like someone had some fun showing off their collection in that one :)

TR0N

It didn't add much what was cover all ready in the last one for the TG16.Still i was reading the comments and a person complain joe is ruining the TG16 market wtf !?
IMG

NoSexGex

Quote from: TR0N on 09/04/2017, 04:07 AMi was reading the comments and a person complain joe is ruining the TG16 market wtf !?
Yeah idk, that seems to be more the case with big Youtubers. When they shed light on something obscure, and hype it up in their review.
These guys though? Idk, kind of doubt it. Most bandwagons gaymers only have the attention span of 15 minutes though, so consider anything after last alert safe.
For a good time, reach out to this wily KKKFarm-crankcaller at (780) 717-9274 or Ryleystuartreynolds@gmail.com up in Alberta, Canada!
His last crank-voicemail: "Gimme a call back when you can. This is Ryley by the way... *giggles*"
He then followed it up with 8 WEEKS of ~DAILY calling! BAN ON SIGHT!!!

Gypsy

I think I got cancer reading that comment exchange.

esteban

Quote from: guest on 09/04/2017, 09:40 AM
Quote from: TR0N on 09/04/2017, 04:07 AMi was reading the comments and a person complain joe is ruining the TG16 market wtf !?
Yeah idk, that seems to be more the case with big Youtubers. When they shed light on something obscure, and hype it up in their review.
These guys though? Idk, kind of doubt it. Most bandwagons gaymers only have the attention span of 15 minutes though, so consider anything after last alert safe.
hahahhahahahhaha!

The line of the week: "...so consider anything after Last Alert safe"

Perfect.
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

Groover

Another Great episode. Nice extra long episode to look again at the TurboGafrx16.
IMG

TR0N

Quote from: guest on 09/04/2017, 09:40 AM
Dunn,before even joe did the TG16 review prices were all ready going up before hand  :P People as of late have been complaining allot to most youtubers.That there ruining the prices for retro video games.Then again like it matters it would have happen either way with or without the exposure.
IMG

munchiaz

Good episode. Last Alert is a gem

TelcoSurveyor

Another episode I will watch time and time again from different hotel internet connections.
I'm the Wind, Baby!

Winniez

Great episode as always but I was suprised that Joe didn't like Bloody Wolf all that much. Also glad to see Final Soldier getting some love although I do think that Soldier Blade is far superior game.

esteban

Quote from: Winniez on 09/14/2017, 05:09 PMGreat episode as always but I was suprised that Joe didn't like Bloody Wolf all that much. Also glad to see Final Soldier getting some love although I do think that Soldier Blade is far superior game.
Agreed.

Bloody Wolf is great game, and the challenge ramps up (the Generalissimo who disappears and has boomerangs is a nice challenge....he appears twice, second time he's wily).

Personally, I consider Bloody Wolf superior to Last Alert/Red Alert.

:)

Winniez

Quote from: esteban on 09/14/2017, 09:57 PM
Quote from: Winniez on 09/14/2017, 05:09 PMGreat episode as always but I was suprised that Joe didn't like Bloody Wolf all that much. Also glad to see Final Soldier getting some love although I do think that Soldier Blade is far superior game.
Agreed.

Bloody Wolf is great game, and the challenge ramps up (the Generalissimo who disappears and has boomerangs is a nice challenge....he appears twice, second time he's wily).

Yeah, I'm always struggling against him. I think the challenge is just about right, the Japanese version is more difficult since it has limited continues.

CrackTiger

Agreed.

In an old thread I posted how to beat him effectively without cheating/cheezing. I think you just knife him while dodging in a pattern.

EDIT: Here it is:

Quote from: CrackTiger on 09/06/2014, 08:54 PMAlthough it's one of my favorite games, I haven't played through it in a long time. I never had trouble with the final boss though.

It looks pretty straightforward. Just knife the boomerangs and in the final wave, shoot the light colored image:

44:22
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

esteban

Quote from: guest on 09/15/2017, 09:53 PM
Agreed.

In an old thread I posted how to beat him effectively without cheating/cheezing. I think you just knife him while dodging in a pattern.

EDIT: Here it is:

Quote from: guest on 09/06/2014, 08:54 PMAlthough it's one of my favorite games, I haven't played through it in a long time. I never had trouble with the final boss though.

It looks pretty straightforward. Just knife the boomerangs and in the final wave, shoot the light colored image:

44:22
My technique is just about timing...BEFORE you think the boomerangs are "materializing" and about to head toward you, you start moving to "trick" them into flying past you. It sucks if you sluggish on the direction pad and get hit, though.

EmperorIng

I had a good laugh at the line "These graphics are almost TOO real!"

Those intercut bits reminded me so much of those promotional gaming VHSes I used to receive as a small child. Totally radical, man.

I wish I still had them... I guess that's what youtube is for!

Also: Rocky Rodent aka NITROPUNKS MIGHTHEAD is made by IREM, so it can't be a bad game.