@GTV reviews the Cosmic Fantasy 1-2 Switch collection by Edia, provides examples of the poor English editing/localization work. It's much worse for CF1. Rated "D" for disappointment, finding that TurboGrafx CF2 is better & while CF1's the real draw, Edia screwed it up...
Main Menu

Worst US TG16 game

Started by DragonmasterDan, 09/15/2011, 01:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What is the worst US TG16 game?

Darkwing Duck
13 (10.7%)
Talespin
6 (5%)
Night Creatures
6 (5%)
Timeball
6 (5%)
Gunboat
13 (10.7%)
Ghost Manor
1 (0.8%)
Falcon
32 (26.4%)
Yo Bro!
4 (3.3%)
China Warrior
8 (6.6%)
Ballistix
8 (6.6%)
Turrican
5 (4.1%)
Other
13 (10.7%)
Impossamole
6 (5%)

Total Members Voted: 121

HuMan

There should be a marathon contest where whoever manages to finish every game in the poll gets a great prize.

LostFlunky

Quote from: HuMan on 01/12/2017, 02:33 PMThere should be a marathon contest where whoever manages to finish every game in the poll gets a great prize.
After finishing all those, a great prize would be death.

esteban

Quote from: guest on 01/12/2017, 11:33 AMTangent: was a flight stick planned for the Turbo Duo or this is just a slightly confusing way to refer to a possible TTi rebrand of the Turbo Stick that never happened? Dafuq is a Joystick (tm) High Performance Controller?
IMG
I don't think there was ever going to be TTi rebranding, so that's just fancy marketing for "TurboStick"...

:)

Read the ad copy here:

READ: https://archives.tg-16.com/EGM_1989_07.htm

IMAGE: https://archives.tg-16.com/EGM/EGM_1989_07_ad4.jpg
EGM_1989_07_ad4.webp
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

blueraven

Quote from: Lost Monkey on 01/12/2017, 04:03 PM
Quote from: HuMan on 01/12/2017, 02:33 PMThere should be a marathon contest where whoever manages to finish every game in the poll gets a great prize.
:lol:

The prize is you are cursed into playing Tatsunoko Fighter for eternity until you beat it.

LostFlunky

Quote from: blueraven on 01/12/2017, 04:26 PM

The prize is you are cursed into playing Tatsunoko Fighter for eternity until you beat it.
That was my first experience with a Japanese Huey. I ordered a green diving board adapter from TZD, along with a US Super system Card, but no Japanese games...   I found Tatsunoko Fighter at a game store for $5.  I loved how "fast" the game was, but it was very HARD, and very 8-bit...

SignOfZeta

Quote from: blueraven on 01/11/2017, 09:19 PM
Quote from: SignOfZeta on 01/11/2017, 08:25 PMI've never played it so I have to ask, is the TG-16 version of Falcon particularly shite or do you all just hate flight similators? I ask this because I played a lot of Falcon on a 9" b/w Mac and I thought it was the best flight sim I had yet played (later to be completely eclipsed by Amiga and DOS versions). If the TG version has specific problems then what are they? Don't say that the sprites are tiny and popup only as you are about to smash into them. Don't say it's boring. All flight sims are boring and all the ones from the 80s looked like Falcon 16, often worse.
I was impossibly addicted to flight simulators when I was younger, and got so good at X-wing (with the Y-Wing/B-Wing expansion), I could set the controls via keyboard (about 36 keystrokes) in under 15 seconds. I completed 100% of the game. I even had a (MicroProse?) flight stick. There were also a few other 486-66 flight sims I played, F-14 Tomcat, Microsoft Flight Sim 4.0?, Ace Combat, and The Tie Fighter series. There were a few others I pirated got reviewers copies of for educational purposes.

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 01/11/2017, 08:25 PMDarkwing Duck (aka: Cockwing Fuck) is just bad though. It has the one flaw that is unforgivable in platform games: horrendously bad collision. The fact that the art department actually did their job just makes its unplayability even more frustrating. It reminds you of other Disney games on worse systems with worse graphics that are 1000 times better than this POS. At least Night Creatures spares us that bipolar nuttiness. Night Creatures is total wood pulp parfait top to bottom. If you're the one maniac in a million that likes how it looks then you're going to be the one who likes the way it plays as well. 
This game I haven't come across yet so I have no opinion of it. The fact that you have such a strong opinion of it kind of confirms my suspicion that it's a Quackshot ripoff.

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 01/11/2017, 08:25 PMI don't know why you retards are talking about Bonk and Zonk though. Just...stop it.
It's kind of hard to talk shit about such a flagship game with such an awesome character, but the sequels have been subsequently disappointing imo; Zonk for lack of new content on the CD (im not talking about the soundtrack but the fact that there was pretty much only one game). or a sequel... on any system ever. Bonk for the 3rd game going apeshit in price and the Xbox version dying in mid-development. I relaly like the first two. I don't think that's so much of a critique of the game mechanics but more of how they handled the followup of the franchises.
As I said, I played Falcon first on a 68000 based Mac with 1MB of RAM and it was a better system than a lot of people had. A 486 DX, any 486, and an EGA PC or b/w Mac is like the difference between PS1 and PS2 if not PS3.

To be specific, back in the mid 80s the one screenshot you wanted on the box was the instrument panel because really complicated instrument panels looked cool to us. Think about what a low bar that is for nerd excitement, but seriously every other thing in the game looked like...unidentifiable most of the time.

The game was released for Mac in 1987, same year as the TG. The TG was $200 the Mac I'm talking about was $5500 or so as configured. The game itself was probably double the price on Mac.

So again, is it a bad port? I know it's zero fun, but really the controller issue is the only thing anyone has mentioned here that can be said to discredit the quality of the port and the original game was extremely popular with a lot if people even if it's dated to the point of near unplayability.

Again with Bonk and Zonk. Be serious. EVERY game in the xonk series is better than Bravoman and Bravoman is better than every game on this list including Falcon, so I can't see why you'd bring them up. It's like when people say Stg Pepper is the worst album ever made when really they are just pissed that one Beatles record sucks. Pepper is still a Beatles album. It's not fucking Night Ranger or Screwdriver.

An 8 is not a 2 just because it isn't a 10...not sure if that made any sense.
IMG

blueraven

Quote from: Lost Monkey on 01/12/2017, 04:59 PM
Quote from: blueraven on 01/12/2017, 04:26 PM

That was my first experience with a Japanese Huey. I ordered a green diving board adapter from TZD, along with a US Super system Card, but no Japanese games...   I found Tatsunoko Fighter at a game store for $5.  I loved how "fast" the game was, but it was very HARD, and very 8-bit...
That's awesome! I got it on the recommendation of Sinistron (RIP), and Beat it over a weekend. I remember level three being impossibly hard, so I left it on through Saturday and came back to it Sunday. It's one of those games that I remember fondly but would never play again unless someone else insisted on me showing it to them.

Mathius

I tried to play Gunboat once.

Once.

Psycho Punch

Quote from: esteban on 01/12/2017, 04:07 PM
Quote from: Psycho Punch on 01/12/2017, 11:33 AMTangent: was a flight stick planned for the Turbo Duo or this is just a slightly confusing way to refer to a possible TTi rebrand of the Turbo Stick that never happened? Dafuq is a Joystick (tm) High Performance Controller?

IMG
I don't think there was ever going to be TTi rebranding, so that's just fancy marketing for "TurboStick"...

Read the ad copy here:

Thank you Esteban, I would have never guessed otherwise. Seems like they just forgot to replace "joystick" with "TurboTap" when editing the manual (not their only mistake, see "Contoroller" on the next page...)
This Toxic Turbo Turd/Troll & Clone Warrior calls himself "Burning Fight!!" on Neo-Geo.com
For a good time, reach out to: aleffrenan94@gmail.com or punchballmariobros@gmail.com
Like DildoKobold, dildos are provided free of charge, no need to bring your own! :lol:
He also ran scripts to steal/clone this forum which blew up the error logs! I had to delete THOUSANDS of errors cause of this nutcase!
how_to_spell_ys_sign_origin_ver.webp

bob

LOL.
love how they "TM" the word JoyStick because they missed Turbo in front of the Stick.

esteban

Quote from: guest on 01/12/2017, 07:03 PM
Quote from: esteban on 01/12/2017, 04:07 PM
Quote from: guest on 01/12/2017, 11:33 AMTangent: was a flight stick planned for the Turbo Duo or this is just a slightly confusing way to refer to a possible TTi rebrand of the Turbo Stick that never happened? Dafuq is a Joystick (tm) High Performance Controller?
IMG

Read the ad copy here:

Thank you Esteban, I would have never guessed otherwise. Seems like they just forgot to replace "joystick" with "TurboTap" when editing the manual (not their only mistake, see "Contoroller" on the next page...)
CONTOROLLER.

FACT: That diagram of the TurboStick/TurboPad are the ONLY reason to own Falcon, IMHO.

I'll have to do something with those images. Thank you for redeeming hope in my decision to purchase Falcon.

Quote from: Mathius on 01/12/2017, 06:30 PMI tried to play Gunboat once.

Once.
Hahahahahhahaha. Ever since _______ (forget his name, from Bros. Duomazov) mentions that 99.99% of folks weren't using the TurboSwitches to switch views/weapons (I forget the mechanic), I realized that I had never read the damn instructions and had never played the game properly.

Ha!

One of these years, I'll actually play it again.

Quote from: gynt on 01/12/2017, 07:44 PMLOL.
love how they "TM" the word JoyStick because they missed Turbo in front of the Stick.
TM = TurboMark

Anyway, I'm not joking that's am going to dust off my old TurboStick this weekend. I might even play a game with it.

Quote from: blueraven on 01/12/2017, 05:23 PMThat's awesome! I got it on the recommendation of Sinistron (RIP), and Beat it over a weekend. I remember level three being impossibly hard, so I left it on through Saturday and came back to it Sunday. It's one of those games that I remember fondly but would never play again unless someone else insisted on me showing it to them.
Do I have dementia?

I can't place this game... I keep thinking about that boxing game for the Virtual Boy... in fact, it was only upon rereading your posts that I realized that you were talking about PCE.

Quote...

Again with Bonk and Zonk. Be serious. EVERY game in the xonk series is better than Bravoman and Bravoman is better than every game on this list including Falcon, so I can't see why you'd bring them up. It's like when people say Stg Pepper is the worst album ever made when really they are just pissed that one Beatles record sucks. Pepper is still a Beatles album. It's not fucking Night Ranger or Screwdriver.

That makes perfect sense.

But, I have more fun playing a lot of the duds on this list than Bravoman. Sorry, folks. :(

I really wanted to express how lame Bravoman is. I bought that pile of shite from TZD catalog... you know what I passed up? Magical Chase, Beyond Shadowgate, etc.

I paid good money for Bravoman because I was in the mood for a platformer. I still remember that fateful decision.

I CAN'T BE RATIONAL ABOUT THAT TRAGIC DECISION.

Well, I could be...

bob

i have been using nothing BUT turbosticks for the last few months.

esteban

Quote from: gynt on 01/13/2017, 11:30 AMi have been using nothing BUT turbosticks for the last few months.
The base isn't heavy enough for me. Of course, I was used to the NES Advantage (I no longer own one, but I love the weight of that thing).

I'll have to use a belt to strap the TurboPad onto a cinderblock...or something...

NecroPhile

Quote from: esteban on 01/13/2017, 05:01 PMThe base isn't heavy enough for me. Of course, I was used to the NES Advantage (I no longer own one, but I love the weight of that thing).

I'll have to use a belt to strap the TurboPad onto a cinderblock...or something...
Or the PCE version.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

esteban

Quote from: guest on 01/13/2017, 05:06 PM
Quote from: esteban on 01/13/2017, 05:01 PMThe base isn't heavy enough for me. Of course, I was used to the NES Advantage (I no longer own one, but I love the weight of that thing).

Or the PCE version.
Hey, is that correct? I don't think I have fully absorbed all the info on some PCE controllers. Even after all thee years.

I wish I had a PCE version. I haven't even looked at them, though...so I'm sure it's out of my budget range.

SignOfZeta

Yes, you can get the same stick for PCE.
IMG

NecroPhile

The difference (other than aesthetics) being that the PCE Turbo Stick is bottom weighted and the US one ain't.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

Mathius

Quote from: guest on 01/13/2017, 06:00 PMThe difference (other than aesthetics) being that the PCE Turbo Stick is bottom weighted and the US one ain't.
I....did not know this!

Keith Courage

I like seeing that most people prefer Ghost Manor over the rest of these :)

Psycho Punch

All this talk about Falcon gave me an urge to play it again.

IMG
(fps rate is actually 130 for the most time)

Full playthrough of FALCON soon on youtube. Yes I'm doing this at an saturday morning and yes I regret nothing.
This Toxic Turbo Turd/Troll & Clone Warrior calls himself "Burning Fight!!" on Neo-Geo.com
For a good time, reach out to: aleffrenan94@gmail.com or punchballmariobros@gmail.com
Like DildoKobold, dildos are provided free of charge, no need to bring your own! :lol:
He also ran scripts to steal/clone this forum which blew up the error logs! I had to delete THOUSANDS of errors cause of this nutcase!

Psycho Punch

Except saying that FALCON is the worst game on the US Grafx. That I regret a little bit.

blueraven

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 01/12/2017, 05:21 PMAs I said, I played Falcon first on a 68000 based Mac with 1MB of RAM and it was a better system than a lot of people had. A 486 DX, any 486, and an EGA PC or b/w Mac is like the difference between PS1 and PS2 if not PS3.

To be specific, back in the mid 80s the one screenshot you wanted on the box was the instrument panel because really complicated instrument panels looked cool to us. Think about what a low bar that is for nerd excitement, but seriously every other thing in the game looked like...unidentifiable most of the time.

The game was released for Mac in 1987, same year as the TG. The TG was $200 the Mac I'm talking about was $5500 or so as configured. The game itself was probably double the price on Mac.

So again, is it a bad port? I know it's zero fun, but really the controller issue is the only thing anyone has mentioned here that can be said to discredit the quality of the port and the original game was extremely popular with a lot if people even if it's dated to the point of near unplayability.
I never played the other Falcon ports. At the time when you were running that Mac, I had an IBM-Compaq 286 with a faulty graphics card that was only able to play Galaxian and the first level of Robocop in EGA. Virtually every game didn't work on that computer and I had to bring it back to Software, etc. I remember being incredibly angry after buying Power Drift and Mega Traveller II, and neither of them working.

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 01/12/2017, 05:21 PMAgain with Bonk and Zonk. Be serious. EVERY game in the xonk series is better than Bravoman and Bravoman is better than every game on this list including Falcon, so I can't see why you'd bring them up. It's like when people say Stg Pepper is the worst album ever made when really they are just pissed that one Beatles record sucks. Pepper is still a Beatles album. It's not fucking Night Ranger or Screwdriver.

I didn't bring up Bonk 3 and I don't think Bonk 3 should be on this list, but the game isn't close to a 10. Its somewhere between a 7 and 8.

I always preferred the cover of "We're just in it for the Money" by Zappa. lol Yeah that made sense haha.

seieienbu

Why wasn't Drop Off on this list?  I went back and played it again last December and though I don't hate it as much as I did as a kid I still think it's awful.  I hated it so much that I forgot I even owned it for a while.  After I played it for 20 minutes or so I just put it back and then it got lost to time until I found it a year or two ago.  It's the only game that I bought as a kid that I still have the box.
Current want list:  Bomberman 93

esteban

Quote from: seieienbu on 01/14/2017, 05:44 AMWhy wasn't Drop Off on this list?  I went back and played it again last December and though I don't hate it as much as I did as a kid I still think it's awful.  I hated it so much that I forgot I even owned it for a while.  After I played it for 20 minutes or so I just put it back and then it got lost to time until I found it a year or two ago.  It's the only game that I bought as a kid that I still have the box.
I forget to give this game another chance...

I've never really taken the time to play it for more than 10-15 minutes....

This means I have been successfully ignoring Drop Rock Hora Hora for 25+ years.

Psycho Punch

Is falcon the worst US game? See for yourself.

TheClash603

Quote from: guest on 01/14/2017, 09:27 AM
Not a game for me, but didn't seem that bad in spots.  What was your impression after the playthrough?

Time Ball is complete shit still, this game is miles ahead of it.

blueraven

Well, I guess we'll all find out here in a few whether or not its the worst game for the turbob.

Again I can't compare it to other versions, but as far as flight sims go, the PCE Falcon is the worst I've played. I base most of my argument on the shitty controls, and I didn't really like the graphics all too much. If that makes my argument somehow invalid or misinformed, then ok.. I hand it to you, Punch for playing all the way though it.

Psycho Punch

Quote from: TheClash603 on 01/14/2017, 04:48 PM
Quote from: Psycho Punch on 01/14/2017, 09:27 AM
Not a game for me, but didn't seem that bad in spots.  What was your impression after the playthrough?

Time Ball is complete shit still, this game is miles ahead of it.
I don't know... it's not easy to decide if this game is truly the worst or not, esp. now that I've played it again and the experience is fresh on my memory. It is a competent game but it's the least exciting flight sim you could play. The only missions that are fun and challenging are the MiG airstrip raid mission (23:41) and the last quasi-suicidal mission (in which I actually sacrificed myself to hit the last target, I crash landed but actually got the ending screen lol). Most missions were too easy or too annoying... and in this game dogfight missions feel like the most boring thing ever.
Also the control scheme really hurts the game since you have to input button combos for important stuff and since the game lags so much when the screen is busy it fails to register your button presses A LOT (so yes blueraven your argument is valid).

It certainly isn't GOTY material but I don't think this is the worst anymore. Aside from the 3d tech employed which I still think is better on Gunboat, the Vietnam sim is worse since everything is so clunky and boring to play. I'm changing my vote to Gunboat.

I'm probably the world record holder for # of clears in falcon (three). :lol:

NoSexGex

Wow so much hate for Falcon
For a good time, reach out to this wily KKKFarm-crankcaller at (780) 717-9274 or Ryleystuartreynolds@gmail.com up in Alberta, Canada!
His last crank-voicemail: "Gimme a call back when you can. This is Ryley by the way... *giggles*"
He then followed it up with 8 WEEKS of ~DAILY calling! BAN ON SIGHT!!!

SignOfZeta

I just realized Timeball is Blodia. It think that game is actually good. Primitive, sure, but it's a good time for me, personally. Much better than Cockwing Fuck.
IMG

NoSexGex

For a good time, reach out to this wily KKKFarm-crankcaller at (780) 717-9274 or Ryleystuartreynolds@gmail.com up in Alberta, Canada!
His last crank-voicemail: "Gimme a call back when you can. This is Ryley by the way... *giggles*"
He then followed it up with 8 WEEKS of ~DAILY calling! BAN ON SIGHT!!!

Green

Got my vote for Impossamole

esteban

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 01/16/2017, 01:06 AMI just realized Timeball is Blodia. It think that game is actually good. Primitive, sure, but it's a good time for me, personally. Much better than Cockwing Fuck.

blueraven

esteban, you clearly do not have enough posts to enter this raffle :)

Please refer to the 250,000 minimum post-count guidelines which were clearly stated somewhere else, possibly on another forum.

I think I'm now a member of the 4k post club. I forget who has that sticker. Yeehaw. Nulltard, eat your heart out. I HAVE AVENGED YOU!!

/shitpost

esteban

Quote from: blueraven on 01/17/2017, 02:11 AMesteban, you clearly do not have enough posts to enter this raffle :)

Please refer to the 250,000 minimum post-count guidelines which were clearly stated somewhere else, possibly on another forum.

I think I'm now a member of the 4k post club. I forget who has that sticker. Yeehaw. Nulltard, eat your heart out. I HAVE AVENGED YOU!!

/shitpost
I just logged on to this forum with my computer, even though I have to wake up for work in 3 hours, to VOTE in this poll...

... only to realize that the poll is closed.

Ha!

I don't see the polls on my phone.

YOUR POST COUNT READS 3999 as I type this.

HA!

esteban

blueraven

*oh shit*  :oops:

Well, I'm sure that that mistake will come back to bite me in the ass... right about now.  :lol: :lol:

IT CANNOT BE UNDONE.

I am NOW.. ahh F it.

seieienbu

Quote from: blueraven on 01/17/2017, 02:44 AM*oh shit*  :oops:

Well, I'm sure that that mistake will come back to bite me in the ass... right about now.  :lol: :lol:

IT CANNOT BE UNDONE.

I am NOW.. ahh F it.
How the hell are you gonna claim to be in the 4k club BEFORE you have 4096 posts?!  This is nonsense.  I feel lied to and betrayed.

exodus

china warrior is great! the end :3

DragonmasterDan

Quote from: exodus on 01/17/2017, 02:46 PMchina warrior is great! the end :3
I wouldn't go that far. But I think any of the Japanese made games are better than Falcon, Gunboat, Darkwing Duck etc.
--DragonmasterDan

esteban

Quote from: DragonmasterDan on 01/17/2017, 05:30 PM
Quote from: exodus on 01/17/2017, 02:46 PMchina warrior is great! the end :3
I wouldn't go that far. But I think any of the Japanese made games are better than Falcon, Gunboat, Darkwing Duck etc.
DAMN YOU, Dan!

China Warrior is a great game... except for some broken boss fights that ruin an otherwise awesome (fair) game.

I am not teasing you.

Otherwise, I respect your views on 99% of stuff. :)

EvilEvoIX

Night Creatures is terrible.  Got my vote.
IMGIMGIMG
Quote from: PCEngineHellI already dropped him a message on there and he did not reply back, so fuck him, and his cunt wife.

blueraven

Quote from: seieienbu on 01/17/2017, 04:06 AMHow the hell are you gonna claim to be in the 4k club BEFORE you have 4096 posts?!  This is nonsense.  I feel lied to and betrayed.
Haha. :lol:

4096 has always been the arbitrary number? :D

The joke on a joke on a joke.

Trying to remember who came up with that 4k post club banner bitd... Was it you? or Maybe esteban or NecroPhile can remember better than I?

seieienbu

Naw, I just got the banner because I think lychee is delicious.  It was originally from a thread in Fighting Street.

esteban

Quote from: blueraven on 01/19/2017, 03:40 AM
Quote from: seieienbu on 01/17/2017, 04:06 AMHow the hell are you gonna claim to be in the 4k club BEFORE you have 4096 posts?!  This is nonsense.  I feel lied to and betrayed.
Haha. :lol:

4096 has always been the arbitrary number? :D

The joke on a joke on a joke.

Trying to remember who came up with that 4k post club banner bitd... Was it you? or Maybe esteban or NecroPhile can remember better than I?
I made the silly banner but I totally forget the reason why I was motivated to do it. I think I had been talking to friends about the  4H Club (the old organization that did socially positive stuff with youth) and then 4K topic randomly popped up here?

I can't remember.

esteban

Quote from: seieienbu on 01/19/2017, 04:41 AMNaw, I just got the banner because I think lychee is delicious.  It was originally from a thread in Fighting Street.
I love lychee, too, and I was disappointed that so few of our pcefxers expressed any passion for them.

Oh well....

crazydean

Never had lychee. I like to try new foods so if I see it, I'll give it a go.

Mathius

Quote from: esteban on 01/19/2017, 07:03 AM
Quote from: seieienbu on 01/19/2017, 04:41 AMNaw, I just got the banner because I think lychee is delicious.  It was originally from a thread in Fighting Street.
I love lychee, too, and I was disappointed that so few of our pcefxers expressed any passion for them.

Oh well....

Never heard of it.

Psycho Punch

I love it too. Lichia best fruit.

I played SimEarth for the first time today and it is kinda boring. It is somewhat cool to see life evolving until you realize you have little control over what is happening. it is very limited too, I made a planet where the sea was full of life and land had dinosaurs, I was expecting the game to get to a point where the sapient fish would wage wars with the dinos.... Imagine my disappointment when I found out that only one race can become "smart" even though both were very similar intelligence wise according to the game's charts.

Maybe my expectations were set a little bit too high for the game.

Edit: posted this in the wrong thread ](*,)

blueraven

Ahh, Ok. I wasn't sure if this was a carryover joke from another post. I could Have sworn I saw a banner that ran underneath someones posts that said "The official PC Engine FX 4k post club"