Favourite Game Name

Started by thrush, 10/08/2011, 12:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thrush

Okay, silly question #2 for me tonight, but another one I've been thinking about for a long time.

What is your favourite video game name?

I ask this because a lot of my favourite games have not-so-memorable names like "Such and Such 3" or "Mega Super Something Or Other".  It's a silly question so I expect at least a few silly answers.  ^_-  But, I'm a language-geek at heart so I think about these things.  I'll throw out my two top choices:

Kirby: Nightmare in Dreamland  -  This one is totally cliche, I know, but for me it works well precisely and solely because the titular Nightmare is a person, not an event or analogy for the state of things in Dreamland.  I don't know if I can defend it better than that, but the name has stuck in my head for years, despite the fact that I actually like the original Kirby's Adventure about a million times more than this remake.

Riven  -  Okay, okay, it has the very unsexy "the Sequel to Myst" tagline, but the title itself is, I think, a real highlight in the gaming world: it's evocative, unusual, euphonic, suggestive of the play mechanics (to an extent), & encapsulates the game's theme on multiple levels.

Beyond these two stand-outs for me it gets difficult to separate my like/dislike of the game itself from the title specifically, but maybe I'd suggest Pac-Mac as well for creatively saying a lot in a little.  Any thoughts?

OldRover

Turbo Badass Rank: Janne (6 of 12 clears)
Conquered so far: Sinistron, Violent Soldier, Tatsujin, Super Raiden, Shape Shifter, Rayxanber II

runinruder

Blood Gear
Chaos Legion
Wayback - thebrothersduomazov.com - Reviews of over 400 TurboGrafx-16/PC-Engine games

Tatsujin

R-Type
OutRun
Makaimura
Gradius
Xevious
Aresu no tsubasa
etc.
www.pcedaisakusen.net - home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games countdown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

_Paul

Exed Exes

or

XDR - X-Dazedley-Ray

Tatsujin

<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

JoshTurboTrollX

Quote from: OldRover on 10/08/2011, 12:43 AMShatterhand
I totally second Shatterhand!

how about:
Ninja Gaiden
Double Dragon
Legendary Axe
Bangai - O
Air Zonk

all great/classic game names.

with shit like 'Modern Warfare X' or 'Angry Birds' these days, it really makes me miss originality in game names.

of course my least favourites would be:
*any title*64    LOL
Jossshhhhh...Legendary TurboTrollX-16: He revenge-bans PCE Developers/Ys IV Localizers from PCE Facebook groups and destroyed 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Josh and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner (extortion/blackmail!), never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

chany60126

I have to go with Plok. It's an awesome SNES game where the main character can fling out his limbs and use them as weapons. The soundtrack is an absolute masterpiece; Tim Follin's best work IMHO.

Another game name I like is Zombies Ate My Neighbors, another great game.

DragonmasterDan

My favorite game title is Cthulhu Saves the World: Super Hyper Enhanced Championship Edition Alpha Diamond DX Plus Alpha FES HD – Premium Enhanced Game of the Year Collector's Edition (without Avatars!)
--DragonmasterDan

Tatsujin

Quote from: chany60126 on 10/08/2011, 09:56 AMPlok
I so knew that this name will appear when I read your nick on the threads front page :)

TheClash603

Great pick with Zombies Ate My Neighbors.

However, the one game which I always have said is the best name of all time is Rush N' Attack.

Tolvatar

Snatcher and Firebird (Hinotori) for the MSX

Keranu

"Hot Dog Storm," followed by "Plumbers Don't Wear Ties."
Quote from: TurboXray on 01/02/2014, 09:21 PMAdding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).
IMG
Click the banner to learn more about Alex Chiu and his "immortality rings"

thrush

Awesome, this is great list.  I especially concur with "Shatterhand" & "Ninja Gaiden".  "Rush N' Attack" is awesome on multiple levels, as well as, after a fashion... "Plumbers Don't Wear Ties".  (Hey, it definitely is suggestive of the theme!  >_(\  )  And I completely agree that "fill-in-the-blank 64" is at the very bottom of the barrel.  Some other good-ish ones I thought of:

Trinity
Pipe Dream
Grim Fandango

In the ironically humorous department, "Hotel Mario" conjures up all sorts of incongruous images.  Not sure how I feel about "Doom" or "Contra".  Both are evocative, but also somewhat vague.  "Touhou Koumakyou: the Embodiment of Scarlet Devil" seems a little redundant, but you could argue that the Japanese & English play off one another, and the English subtitle is certainly a vivid image.  (I am unqualified to judge the Japanese side of it.)  I rather like "Doki Doki Panic" but the name doesn't really connect to anything in the game that I'm aware of.  For whatever reason, "Hot Dog Storm" makes me think of "Day of the Tentacle".  I am unfamiliar with Firebird, but I see it has a super-cool titlescreen.  ^^

munchiaz

Ring of red. oso tatake ouendan. sin &punishment.

NecroPhile

I'm partial to Götzendiener just because it has umlauts, though Jeff Minter's games have the best titles of all: Attack of the Mutant Camels, Space Giraffe, Sheep in Space, Mama Llama, Metagalactic Llamas Battle at the Edge of Time, Goat Up, and Made in France II.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

thrush

Wow, NecroPhile, I have never heard of any of those!

ParanoiaDragon

Quote from: thrush on 10/08/2011, 07:22 PMAwesome, this is great list.  I especially concur with "Shatterhand" & "Ninja Gaiden".  "Rush N' Attack" is awesome on multiple levels, as well as, after a fashion... "Plumbers Don't Wear Ties".  (Hey, it definitely is suggestive of the theme!  >_(\  )  And I completely agree that "fill-in-the-blank 64" is at the very bottom of the barrel.  Some other good-ish ones I thought of:

Trinity
Pipe Dream
Grim Fandango

In the ironically humorous department, "Hotel Mario" conjures up all sorts of incongruous images.  Not sure how I feel about "Doom" or "Contra".  Both are evocative, but also somewhat vague.  "Touhou Koumakyou: the Embodiment of Scarlet Devil" seems a little redundant, but you could argue that the Japanese & English play off one another, and the English subtitle is certainly a vivid image.  (I am unqualified to judge the Japanese side of it.)  I rather like "Doki Doki Panic" but the name doesn't really connect to anything in the game that I'm aware of.  For whatever reason, "Hot Dog Storm" makes me think of "Day of the Tentacle".  I am unfamiliar with Firebird, but I see it has a super-cool titlescreen.  ^^
Speaking of "fill in the blank" 64.  I love game tiles such as Super "fill in the blank"! :D  There was plenty of those on the SNES, but in general, I can't get enough of the Supers!

The Attack of the Mutant Camels I think I've heard of.  It was a game for the never released 16bit(or 32bit??) Konix Multisystem.  I think it eventually evolved into Defender 2K for the Jag, or atleast one of the modes did(I think there's a lama mode IIRC).
IMG

NecroPhile

Quote from: ParanoiaDragon on 10/10/2011, 01:01 PMThe Attack of the Mutant Camels I think I've heard of.  It was a game for the never released 16bit(or 32bit??) Konix Multisystem.  I think it eventually evolved into Defender 2K for the Jag, or atleast one of the modes did(I think there's a lama mode IIRC).
It was a game for Atari computers, and it played a lot like The Empire Strikes Back on the 2600 except with giant camels instead of AT-ATs.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

ParanoiaDragon

Didn't know there were older versions, here's the Konix version
IMG

Arkhan Asylum

It's also on the C64, and there is also
http://www.lemon64.com/games/details.php?ID=3270

Arguably the best game in the series!!!

:)

My favorite game name is Faxanadu because I like saying it and typing it.  My least favorite game name is Halo because that game sucks.
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

Tatsujin

Jeff Mintler's Uberflash Attack of the on LSD Mutant Camels on a Fuckin' Plane.

geise

UglyJoe

King of the Monsters 2: The Next Thing is my favorite title for a sequel ever.

munchiaz

Quote from: UglyJoe on 10/11/2011, 09:44 AMKing of the Monsters 2: The Next Thing is my favorite title for a sequel ever.
just picked this up on SNES a few weeks ago.

TheClash603

Quote from: munchiaz on 10/11/2011, 07:17 PM
Quote from: UglyJoe on 10/11/2011, 09:44 AMKing of the Monsters 2: The Next Thing is my favorite title for a sequel ever.
It's always weird to me when a sequel is worse than the original, aka - King of the Monsters 2.

I guess the title is somewhat clever, at least it has that going for it.

How about Stroker?  I remember stumbling upon this game on my friend's dad's computer when I was about 8 years old...  I finally figured it out a couple years later!

thrush

Quote from: guest on 10/10/2011, 09:36 PMMy favorite game name is Faxanadu because I like saying it and typing it.  My least favorite game name is Halo because that game sucks.
I agree wholeheartedly!  But, I am biased on this one; I fell in love with that game when I was like 10 and still haven't gotten over it.  =^^=

Quote from: TheClash603 on 10/11/2011, 07:55 PM
Quote from: munchiaz on 10/11/2011, 07:17 PM
I guess the title is somewhat clever, at least it has that going for it.
Agreed, that is pretty clever.

machomadness

Prinny 2: Dawn of Operation Panties, Dood! lmao
IMG

thrush

Excellent choice.  ^^

SuperPlay

Sooooooo many here are two that spring to mind:

Leather goddess of Phobos
Leisure suit Larry

_Paul

Advanced Lawnmower Simulator on the ZX Spectrum.

rag-time4

Some of my favorites:
Turbo: JJ and Jeff (overall this is my fave)
Turbo: chew man fu (runner up)
NES: Xexyz (hehe i pronounce it as zex ease)
Fami: Gorby-no pipeline daisakusen
PS1: parappa the rapper

SignOfZeta

Herzog Zwei
Remote Control Dandy
Super Street Fighter 2 X: Grand Master Challenge
The King of Fighter '98: Dream Match Never Ends
Beatmania IIDX 12: Happy Sky
Dick Vitale's Awesome Baby! College Hoops
Prostitute Maker
Cool Cool Jam
Cannon Dancer
IMG

rag-time4

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 11/03/2011, 02:56 AMHerzog Zwei
Remote Control Dandy
Super Street Fighter 2 X: Grand Master Challenge
The King of Fighter '98: Dream Match Never Ends
Beatmania IIDX 12: Happy Sky
Dick Vitale's Awesome Baby! College Hoops
Prostitute Maker
Cool Cool Jam
Cannon Dancer
Great call on Herzog Zwei! One of my all time favorite games. My neighbor always butchered the name: "Herzog Zwiggy" was the way he said it.

Did herzog get a sequel?

_Paul

Quote from: rag-time4 on 11/04/2011, 04:09 PMDid herzog get a sequel?
No. It's a crime. They need to make a proper online multiplayer on Xbox live or something.

SignOfZeta

The sequel to Herzog Zwei is Panzer Dragoon Zwei, duh.
IMG

Starfighter

I think Radiant Silvergun is the coolest game name ever.

tsuran

Most definitely has to be Revengers of Vengance for SeGa CD XD
Posting is overrated.

Tatsujin

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 11/05/2011, 05:28 AMThe sequel to Herzog Zwei is Panzer Dragoon Zwei, duh.
No, it was Herzog Drei, duh.

Arkhan Asylum

This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

PukeSter

Side Arms:HyperDyne
Atomic Runner
Two Crude Dudes

futureman2000

Wonder Boy V: Monster World III

Gogan

I always liked Fatal Rewind.

And Three Dirty Dwarves.
Nothin beats the real thing.

Ji-L87

Just Cause
Sonic Wings
Metal Slug
KKnD (Krush, Kill 'n' Destroy)
MDK
Grandia
OutRun
Ridge Racer

Those are some pretty cool names. Oh, and Galaxy Fraulein Yuna or Galactic Lady Legend Yuna.
CHECKPOINT!
Quote from: esteban on 09/23/2012, 01:40 AMThere is a perverted Japanese businessman in every Swiss PCE fan.

JoshTurboTrollX

Quote from: Gogan on 03/28/2012, 11:18 AMI always liked Fatal Rewind.

And Three Dirty Dwarves.
How about Lost Vikings?  :)
Jossshhhhh...Legendary TurboTrollX-16: He revenge-bans PCE Developers/Ys IV Localizers from PCE Facebook groups and destroyed 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Josh and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner (extortion/blackmail!), never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

CrackTiger

Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

bust3dstr8

Smash TV
Zaxxon
Armored Scrum Object
Redneck Rampage
Clowns Suck
IMG IMG

SignOfZeta

Quote from: Gogan on 03/28/2012, 11:18 AMI always liked Fatal Rewind.

And Three Dirty Dwarves.
Man, Three Dirty Dwarves is fucking AWESOME. Such an underrated game. If Die Hard hadn't made a big deal about it I'm not sure anyone would have ever even known it existed.

"So, do we have a deal?"

"Hmm...no. But we will kick your ass."
IMG

SamIAm

Panorama Cotton

God, I love that fucking game.

esteban

NOTE: Yeah, there is a formula to the titles I like. Sorry I'm so predictable. :pcgs:

Awesome Titles:
Gomola Speed
God Panic
Iron Tank
Dead Moon
Armed F
Splatterhouse
Wasteland
Volfiev

Goofy Titles:
Blast Wind
Chubby Cherub