@GTV reviews the Cosmic Fantasy 1-2 Switch collection by Edia, provides examples of the poor English editing/localization work. It's much worse for CF1. Rated "D" for disappointment, finding that TurboGrafx CF2 is better & while CF1's the real draw, Edia screwed it up...
Main Menu

FM Synth vs MIDI

Started by SuperDeadite, 01/07/2012, 03:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SuperDeadite

Stronger Than Your Average Deadite

esteban

Quote from: SuperDeadite on 01/07/2012, 03:57 AMLet's do this!  All recordings will be done from a real X68000 and Roland CM-500 Synth Module.

Battle 1:  Magical Block Carat
I really like the Midi here.
IMG  Oh yeah! IMG

07:37 AM - Currently listening...whilst I sip morning coffee.
07:44 AM - Second time 'round...more coffee.
07:54 AM - Third round...

FMMIDI
INTROOK. Best part? The footsteps-cum-percussion at the tail end.Richer, fuller
TRACK1Better overall, but only because I hate the backing guitars in MIDIGorgeous lead synth/organ! Simply divine! Horrible (staccato) backing guitars really detract from this otherwise amazing track.
TRACK2SUPERIOR, but damn that noise (high-pitched) prevent FM from sounding as clean as MIDIThe MIDI xylophone/steel drum(?) is grating and annoying. The FM track is nuanced and has nice details, the MIDI is heavy-handed and irritating (xylophone ringing in my ear).

There was a lot of noise (Track 2 especially) that detracted from the FM, which had a lower overall volume than MIDI. Equalizing the volume might make the comparison more equitable?

BOTTOM LINE: I enjoyed both FM and MIDI. :)
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

Ji-L87

Not a fan of the MIDI-guitars but otherwise they both have their good and bad side - I like them both, generally speaking. Sometimes MIDI surprises with how good it can be, but also how bland it can be  :-k
CHECKPOINT!
Quote from: esteban on 09/23/2012, 01:40 AMThere is a perverted Japanese businessman in every Swiss PCE fan.

Tatsujin

Why say MIDI? MIDI doesn't sound at all.
www.pcedaisakusen.net - home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games countdown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

SignOfZeta

Quote from: Tatsujin on 01/07/2012, 08:35 AMWhy say MIDI? MIDI doesn't sound at all.
Yeah, I don't get this MIDI is just digital sheet music.
IMG

SuperDeadite

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 01/07/2012, 01:05 PM
Quote from: Tatsujin on 01/07/2012, 08:35 AMWhy say MIDI? MIDI doesn't sound at all.
Yes I'm aware of this.  Problem is different games use different synths.  A lot of X68k games support MT-32 and SC-55 which sound quite different from each other.  The topic title is simply to keep things clean.  :)

RegalSin

That makes no sense.

What do you call a MarkIII without FM sound?

The Fm sound seems to have it's own flavour while the midi is only as serious as the composer. From you have told me, it should be possible to converter midi fm, and whatever.
IMGIMG

SuperDeadite

Quote from: RegalSin on 01/08/2012, 09:23 PMWhat do you call a MarkIII without FM sound?
I'd call it a Mark III

Tatsujin

Quote from: SuperDeadite on 01/09/2012, 07:41 AM
Quote from: RegalSin on 01/08/2012, 09:23 PMWhat do you call a MarkIII without FM sound?
I'd call it a Mark III
Lol,  makes completely sense.
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 01/07/2012, 01:05 PM
MIDI is just digital nonsense, not even just sheet music!  You can use that crap to control stage lighting.  It's wild.

The comparison exists to show FM vs. MIDI with whichever MIDI device was picked.

MIDI can sound amazing, or completely terrible.  All depends on the box being used.
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

Tatsujin

Quote from: guest on 01/10/2012, 01:53 AMMIDI can sound amazing, or completely terrible.  All depends on the box being used.
Yeah, and exactly this box can be FM in several kinds as well. So it's like FM vs. Midi (= several FM and/or any other PSG, PCM or what ever music chip(s) is used)

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: Tatsujin on 01/10/2012, 05:52 AM
Quote from: Psycho Arkhan on 01/10/2012, 01:53 AMMIDI can sound amazing, or completely terrible.  All depends on the box being used.
Yeah, and exactly this box can be FM in several kinds as well. So it's like FM vs. Midi (= several FM and/or any other PSG, PCM or what ever music chip(s) is used)
right , but with the right MIDI box (MT-32), you are going to destroy FM, every time.

Ultima VI is a good example of this too

Adlib vs. MT32.  You'll pee yo'self.
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

Tatsujin

I like the MT-32 used for most of the sega arcade classics. SC-55 sure sounds very different and more like "instrumental".

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: Tatsujin on 01/10/2012, 07:25 AMI like the MT-32 used for most of the sega arcade classics. SC-55 sure sounds very different and more like "instrumental".
MT-32 is my favorite.

The worstest ever part of MIDI is the Windows GM crap. 

it sounds worse than cheesepianos of the late 80s/early 90s

RegalSin

You mean the programmed instruments. Yes their are many MIDI programs out their that all sounds differnt.

So what does the PC engine use to run the music that is not voice, or sound recordings.
IMGIMG

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: RegalSin on 01/10/2012, 08:08 PMYou mean the programmed instruments. Yes their are many MIDI programs out their that all sounds differnt.
No, I mean the MIDI modules that have preset banks of sounds.

QuoteSo what does the PC engine use to run the music that is not voice, or sound recordings.
It uses the sound chip built into it.  Duh.

Ji-L87

Quote from: guest on 01/10/2012, 08:13 PMIt uses the sound chip built into it.  Duh.
And what a pleasant sound chip it is <3

/off-topic
CHECKPOINT!
Quote from: esteban on 09/23/2012, 01:40 AMThere is a perverted Japanese businessman in every Swiss PCE fan.

Tatsujin

Its a PSG (programable sound generator) which can be feeded with sines, rectangles & sawteeth.

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: Tatsujin on 01/11/2012, 06:49 AMIts a PSG (programable sound generator) which can be feeded with sines, rectangles & sawteeth.
and a combination of any of these!

SINETOOFS

alexsduo

I have been trying to get a Yamaha TG-33, but mostly because it has "TG" in the name...
Manuals needed: Airzonk
hu: MC, PCE: Zero Wing

Mathius

There is just something about FM that is magical to me. When I play Castlevania X68000 on my PS1 I like to switch between sound modes via the hidden menu and listen to qualities of each. But for some reason the stock X68000 sound just... sounds "right". I am assuming the stock chip in Sharp's computer is FM, of course. I am an idiot when it comes to soundchips. But, I am learning. :)

Arkhan Asylum

Micro Cabin is by far the best FM user

Listen to FF1 for MSX, and you will bow to their masterfulness

Illusion City is another one.

Mathius

Quote from: guest on 01/13/2012, 12:01 AMMicro Cabin is by far the best FM user

Listen to FF1 for MSX, and you will bow to their masterfulness

Illusion City is another one.
Aye. I will do that.

SuperDeadite

Quote from: Mathius on 01/12/2012, 11:58 PMThere is just something about FM that is magical to me. When I play Castlevania X68000 on my PS1 I like to switch between sound modes via the hidden menu and listen to qualities of each. But for some reason the stock X68000 sound just... sounds "right". I am assuming the stock chip in Sharp's computer is FM, of course. I am an idiot when it comes to soundchips. But, I am learning. :)
Been awhile since I booted up my PS1 version, so I don't remember how good the MIDI emulation was in that.  But for that game I go back and forth between the musics.  The game basically has three totally different soundtracks.  The FM is badass, the MT-32 is atmospheric and creepy (like Super C IV's music, but even better), and the SC-55 is goes for realistic instruments.  It's nice being able to switch when you're going for that 4th loop run as well.

Digi.k

Quote from: guest on 01/10/2012, 08:23 AM
Quote from: Tatsujin on 01/10/2012, 07:25 AMI like the MT-32 used for most of the sega arcade classics. SC-55 sure sounds very different and more like "instrumental".
MT-32 is my favorite.

The worstest ever part of MIDI is the Windows GM crap.  

it sounds worse than cheesepianos of the late 80s/early 90s
remember adlib compatible soundcards ?  regarding the pc era I loved the Gravis utrasound but that was a bitch to configure......

anyway back on topic.. FM and midi both sound lovely but the FM just pips it..

SuperDeadite

Battle 2:  Parodius Da!

This game actually uses the FM and MIDI togheather via a mixer.  The FM supplies the drums
and the MT-32 supplies the melody and bass.   Once again both sound great, but I dig the MT-32 :)
Lots of COWBELL used in this game too. :D

Mathius

Quote from: SuperDeadite on 01/24/2012, 12:51 PMBattle 2:  Parodius Da!

This game actually uses the FM and MIDI togheather via a mixer.  The FM supplies the drums
and the MT-32 supplies the melody and bass.   Once again both sound great, but I dig the MT-32 :)
Listening to it now. So far FM-only is my hero. :)

esteban

Quote from: SuperDeadite on 01/24/2012, 12:51 PMBattle 2:  Parodius Da!

This game actually uses the FM and MIDI togheather via a mixer.  The FM supplies the drums
and the MT-32 supplies the melody and bass.   Once again both sound great, but I dig the MT-32 :)
I look forward to listening to this later.

SUGGESTION: edit the original post with a LINK to the Battle #2 post. This way, folks can quickly jump to each comparison (and the ensuing discussion). A list (table of contents) will help everyone :)

SuperDeadite

Ji-L87

This FM & MIDI-combo actually sounds all kinds of nice. Never heard of this kind of combination before, was it used by any other games?  :-k
CHECKPOINT!

SuperDeadite

Gradius II and Detana Twinbee do as well.  Which will come eventually.

esteban

HOLY CANOLI, I haven't listened to this yet. I gotta check it out...

...to be continued...

SuperDeadite

Battle 3:  FINAL FIGHT (MT-32)

esteban

Quote from: SuperDeadite on 01/29/2012, 12:53 PMBattle 3:  FINAL FIGHT (MT-32)
More tunes to listen to tonight when I'm working! :)

Ji-L87

I think MIDI wins this round. Could've sounded sharper in some places though. The intro-song will have to be my MIDI-favorite.
CHECKPOINT!

RegalSin

We had everything, in the 1980's. We are going to die and nobody will ever know how auwsome life sounded. We havent moved foward, we have moved backwards in time. Dammit this music is auwsome, whatever happened to our world. I bet everybody had their own theme music as well. Life was that auwsome, you know.

They are all PSG music, right? All programmed either threw keyboards, trackers, or some other source.
IMGIMG

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: RegalSin on 01/31/2012, 08:19 AMThey are all PSG music, right? All programmed either threw keyboards, trackers, or some other source.
MIDI != PSG.  Dumbass.

RegalSin

Then what is FM, genius?
IMGIMG

Tatsujin

MIDI = pure electronic data (nothing inside, no sound inside, no character, only pure data for later claculations, like digital notes).
FM = Frequency Modulation [FM synthesis] (e.g. a carrier-waveform signal modulated by another sine wave, which gives the music a special harmonic characteristic).
PSG = Prorammable Sound Generator (simple sines, rectangles, sawtooth, mixed over each other, back coupled etc. stuff of sounds).

RegalSin

Okay I am sorta getting this.

The PSG/FM are written/performed the same exact way.  Both are hardware dependent, and can be written
in txt, Electronic instrument input, or tracker that is supported by the hardware physically or virtually.

Question? How many PSG out their are in fact modulators that osculates frequencies? That would be hardwire. Some of the PSG on the PCE sounds good as FM sound.

MIDI is also created like PSG/FM music but it is the notes stand alone. Meaning any hardware should be able to play it, with the correct instruments. This allows for flexablitiy cross platform. The PCE for example could  use a MIDI box, just as regular computers did. We could also assume the PCE could also play MIDI, with the right instruments in memory.
IMGIMG

SuperDeadite

Battle 3.5:  Naious

Not a real battle, as this game is FM only.  No MIDI here, just a badass FM soundtrack
so good I had to upload it for the greater good of the universe!

Ji-L87

Sweet drums! The song from 5:40~ has a great melody but could really use a more defined bass-line...feels almost like two different tracks playing on top of each other :p Most other tracks are really great tho'. The track from 20:38 reminds me a bit of this this but sped up.
CHECKPOINT!

esteban

Quote from: SuperDeadite on 02/01/2012, 12:23 PMBattle 3.5:  Naious

Not a real battle, as this game is FM only.  No MIDI here, just a badass FM soundtrack
so good I had to upload it for the greater good of the universe!
I loved watching the video you made. I never heard of this game before (duh!) and I think you have to send mp3's to me.

Oh, and I hate watching videos like this because I feel like I am missing out on so many shoot-em-ups.

:pcgs:

Tatsujin

HercTNT

back in the day emulators like iwin and pasofami used instrument samples to create sound because they did not know how to emulate the nes sound yet. I have to say the result was pretty wild. it was very strange to here a drum thump or guitar twang in place of explosions or guns etc..

esteban

Tatsujin

It's such a good emoticons and was invented/created years before any smilies ruled the internet. Chapeau Hudson.
Even the size is perfect for todays used PC resolutions.

SuperDeadite

BATTLE 4:  Tokimeki Taisen  FM vs SC-55.
Very few doujin games bothered with MIDI, here's one that does:

esteban

Quote from: SuperDeadite on 02/16/2012, 10:18 AMBATTLE 4:  Tokimeki Taisen  FM vs SC-55.
Very few doujin games bothered with MIDI, here's one that does:
The song beginning at 07:23/09:10 is catchy as hell! :pcds: Love it!

I don't think there is a clear winner here: FM gets points because there are no instruments that make me cringe, but the SC-55 sounds fabulous (sans a few instruments that make me cringe)!

BOTTOM LINE: I love 'em both.

Do you have .mdx files for Tokimeki Taisen and Naious files? I want to listen to these tunes!

Actually, any help pointing me towards an up-to-date .mdx collection would be great. Thanks :pcds:

SuperDeadite

BATTLE 5 Part 1: Castlevania on CM-64

Testing out my new Roland CM-64 (LA Synth+PCM).  With this game, the FM, LA, GM, and GS soundtracks
all sound fantastic and are very different from each other, I love them all.