10/31/2023: Localization News - Dead of the Brain 1!

No, NOT a trick, a Halloween treat! Presenting the Dead of the Brain 1 English patch by David Shadoff for the DEAD last official PC Engine CD game published by NEC before exiting the console biz in 1999! I helped edit/betatest and it's also a game I actually finished in 2023, yaaay! Shubibiman also did a French localization. github.com/dshadoff/DeadoftheBrain
twitter.com/NightWolve/PCENews
Main Menu

What's your gaming "set up?"

Started by PUSH RUN BUTTON, 01/11/2012, 04:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PUSH RUN BUTTON

Do you use a CRT TV? Big screen, small screen? Stereo speakers or mono through the TV? Just curious to know what people are playing their TG-16 or PCE on!

I have a smaller apartment, so I just play mostly on a 40" LCD TV in the living room. I do have an awesome little flat screen CRT 9" TV that's set up on my desk that gets some time on it as well. Of course I have a region-modded PCE/CD for each TV  :mrgreen:

SignOfZeta

I use a 27" Samsung pro CRT monitor for everything but my PS3.
IMG

grahf

Picture spam time :-"

RGB modded PCE Super CD-Rom on the left, Super Famicom on the right. Feeding into the glorious new XRGB-mini.
This is sharing my PC monitor at the moment. The 360 pad is for PC games (I don't own a 360). One of these days
I want to get a nice 27" monitor.
  edit:
For audio, my game systems go into the XRGB, get sent along the HDMI cable to the monitor, then use the
monitor's audio out jack to feed into the Topping TP30 amp. There are a bit too many A-D conversions going on
there than i'd like, but it sounds fine so I'm in no rush to change it.

IMG

IMG

IMG

esteban

One of many:
IMG

Sony Trinitron 27". Not pictured is subwoofer+satellite speakers (because TV speakers are nice, but don't capture full beauty of sound).
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

grahf

Nice. These days I'm loving the H.R. Giger Super CD-Rom system. It's design teeters between madness and awesomeness.

Joe Redifer

I use a 20-inch Toshiba CRT for everything pre-Dreamcast.  I have an external stereo system for the sound.  I would really like to remove the speakers from inside the TV because I think they cause a bit of gaussing during bright, solid-colored scenes that happen so often in older games.  I have no use for the TV audio anyway.  Just need to be less lazy.

Arkhan Asylum

I use an over reacting TV for my gaming.
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

Mishran

19" LCD TV hugged on either side by a CoreGrafx and XBox 360. It doubles as my computer monitor.

Keith Courage

I use a 37" Sony Trinitron Flat screen(Not flat panel) CRT TV. It looks awesome and you can find them cheap now since everyone is upgrading to flat panel TVs. I got mine for $100 2 years ago from a private seller. It took 3 people to move it since they are so dam heavy. I've seen a couple at good will now for $70. The picture below isn't mine but is the same exact model.
IMG

munchiaz

i use a 27" Sanyo vizion CRT for everything but my ps3. For that i have a 22" asus monitor that only has about half a frame of lag. I need it like that for fighting games

blueraven

Quote from: esteban on 01/11/2012, 08:45 AMOne of many:
IMG

Sony Trinitron 27". Not pictured is subwoofer+satellite speakers (because TV speakers are nice, but don't capture full beauty of sound).
Have I ever told you you're a kickass photographer who has an almost perfect sense of framing a picture? Every time I see your photos its like ;

*ahhhhhhhh...* Total Zen.

:D

NecroPhile

Still gaming on a mid-90s Sony 32" tube here.  Fuck LCDs!
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

Flare65

Quote from: grahf on 01/11/2012, 06:59 AMPicture spam time :-"

RGB modded PCE Super CD-Rom on the left, Super Famicom on the right. Feeding into the glorious new XRGB-mini.
This is sharing my PC monitor at the moment. The 360 pad is for PC games (I don't own a 360). One of these days
I want to get a nice 27" monitor.
  edit:

IMG
I'm drooling.  May I ask how much you paid for it?  Was it easy to setup?  I got a new flat panel LCD and a RGB modded Duo R that I would love to connect to it.  This looks like the easiest way to go.

csgx1

Quote from: Keith Courage on 01/11/2012, 12:56 PMI use a 37" Sony Trinitron Flat screen(Not flat panel) CRT TV. It looks awesome and you can find them cheap now since everyone is upgrading to flat panel TVs. I got mine for $100 2 years ago from a private seller. It took 3 people to move it since they are so dam heavy. I've seen a couple at good will now for $70. The picture below isn't mine but is the same exact model.
IMG
My brother has the same TV.  He got his off of craigslist for free a few years back.  Yes, those TVs are damn heavy behemoths, but well worth having if you got the room.

roflmao

Quote from: csgx1 on 01/11/2012, 10:53 PMMy brother has the same TV.  He got his off of craigslist for free a few years back.  Yes, those TVs are damn heavy behemoths, but well worth having if you got the room. 
Lol, I had one of these for the longest time, and recently gave it away.  I knew I was moving again and didn't want to move it.  I tried selling it on Craigslist, but it wouldn't sell.  So I gave it to a friend. 

I kind of miss it.

Nowadays I use a 27" JVC.  Both of those TVs I bought new long, long ago. 

I'll be taking pics of the Duo I got from Bernie soon so I'll add a pic of my setup to this thread.

grahf

Quote from: Flare65 on 01/11/2012, 10:05 PMI'm drooling.  May I ask how much you paid for it?  Was it easy to setup?  I got a new flat panel LCD and a RGB modded Duo R that I would love to connect to it.  This looks like the easiest way to go.
I live in Japan, so It cost me about 31,000 yen. I think exporters are getting around $500 for them though, partly due to the shitty exchange rate right now.
This box is plug and play. Almost zero delay, and it fixes a lot of the quirks that the XRGB-3 has. The guys over at the shmups forums have tested all kinds of systems with it, and it handles pretty much everything fine.

SignOfZeta

Yeah, the X-RGB Mini ended up taking forever to be released and...there isn't much "mini" about it. The price is...exactly the same as the old one! And since the dollar/yen rate has gotten even worse in the mean time the street price in the US is over $500. Also, no VGA out now.

So...I'm still looking for a good price on a 2 or 2+. I have a friend that is trying to fix the broke-ass 2+ I bought used, but he's a busy guy.
IMG

grahf

I think they are still selling the XRGB-3 for those folks who want VGA. From what I understand though, the 3 had pretty bad delay when using the DVI output. For that reason, the Mini beats it hands down for modern generic LCD TVs. The picture quality is amazingly good.

Arkhan Asylum

I wonder if it would be worth getting it to play turbob on the 55" bravia.
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

Ji-L87

Quote from: guest on 01/12/2012, 08:26 AMI wonder if it would be worth getting it to play turbob on the 55" bravia.
I'm thinking of maybe getting something similar to play on my 32'' bravia  :-"

...I either need to get a better CRT or do away with it. I'd rather get rid of it since that opens up both room space and interesting possibilities.
CHECKPOINT!
Quote from: esteban on 09/23/2012, 01:40 AMThere is a perverted Japanese businessman in every Swiss PCE fan.

Arkhan Asylum

I have a CRT right next to it with all my ol'school stuff on it.

but I could always just lolxrbrgbrgbrgb instead and remove an entire wall of crap to make room for something else

like a meth lab!

grahf

The way I look at it is:   Get a CRT if you have space, and can find a good one. The problem is that they aren't gonna be around forever. Shit is going digital whether people like it or not, so we really need a solution to play our old games on newer TVs. It seems like the XRGB-mini is the first sub-$1000 device that really covers that need. Is it worth it for everyone?  If you can get a nice CRT, fuck no. If you can't, or are currently playing 240p games on an HDTV, fuck YES. This thing pisses all over the quality of any built in HDTV scaler out there.

Tatsujin

www.pcedaisakusen.net - home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games countdown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

grahf

I liked it even more when it was called the Flamemeister.

munchiaz

i wanna see some more pics of peoples setups. I will post one of mine later tonight.

munchiaz

esteban

Quote from: blueraven on 01/11/2012, 02:13 PMHave I ever told you you're a kickass photographer who has an almost perfect sense of framing a picture? Every time I see your photos its like ;

*ahhhhhhhh...* Total Zen.

:D
You are too kind. :)

IMG
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

SamIAm

Cables and controllers are a mess the way God intended.

IMG
sirsinnes/gaming.jpg

Under the TV is a PS3 that I never use. To the right is a JVC X'EYE.

Tatsujin

OK, very old pic but still looks approx. the same. some AES, few DUO-R(X)s and Wondermega joined the show tho (plus about 15 moar sys hueys..lol).

/gamestackdb2.jpg

/pcec20080622tt9.jpg

/p1100649v.jpg
www.pcedaisakusen.net - home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games countdown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

SuperDeadite

How often do you use that power glove?  Or is it just for spanking the wife?
Stronger Than Your Average Deadite

SMF

Quote from: SuperDeadite on 01/14/2012, 01:07 PMHow often do you use that power glove?  Or is it just for spanking the wife?
LOL i use mine everytime i watch THE WIZARD lol
Welcome to Prime Time B!tch

majors

IMG

Slightly old pic, but not much has changed.

35" Trinitron and a 30" Wega. Composite and S-vid systems get the SD (of course). Only TV and PS2 gets on the HD since next gen systems are downstairs on the projector w/ the boom(sound system).
TG/PCE Collection.
"Booze should be a choice, not a privilege" -KCDC (The FP)

blueraven

Cool, i especially like the "nightmare rats nest" and Salvaged Speakers. Nice rig!

grahf

Awesome pics, keep 'em coming people!

roflmao

This thread feels awfully familiar - I'm sure I've posted similar pics in another thread, but it's been awhile and there have been a lot of new users lately and my "old school" setup has evolved a bit since I last posted pictures, so here we go!

IMG

IMG

EDIT: Looking at that bottom picture, I have NO idea why there is one audio plug in the lower #4 spot.  I'd check, but that's the bedroom and the Wife is sleeping...

NecroPhile

Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

roflmao

Quote from: guest on 01/17/2012, 09:43 AMLordy, that SNES is fugly!
Yes it is...   :-&

Back in the late nineties I make the mistake of selling off my entire Turbo collection as one big lot on ebay.  I needed the money at the time, but I still instantly regretted it. 

So as not to repeat the same mistake, I painted my SNES about the ugliest color combination I could come up with so it would be worthless to anyone else.  And I've never had any desire to sell it off. :mrgreen:

Terminarcade

I know, I might be some newbie around these parts, but we all have to start somewhere... hope you guys enjoy the setup.

IMG
IMG

Xbox360, Saturn, Dreamcast, Ps2(slim), NeoGeo CDZ, XRGB 2plus (excellent for consoles). Hidden consoles in the back, PS1, Xbox.
IMG

I know, my Pce-cd setup is in my living room with the Jtag360, Ps3, Ps2 (phat japanese).

roflmao

Quote from: Terminarcade on 01/17/2012, 12:49 PMI know, I might be some newbie around these parts, but we all have to start somewhere... hope you guys enjoy the setup.
Welcome to the forums, Terminarcade!  Awesome setup.

Terminarcade

munchiaz

SMF

Nice set up. My room won't be as clean when I unpack everything and set up lol.
Welcome to Prime Time B!tch

PUSH RUN BUTTON

Quote from: Terminarcade on 01/17/2012, 12:49 PMI know, my Pce-cd setup is in my living room with the Jtag360, Ps3, Ps2 (phat japanese).
Awesome, clean set up there! Now, just get another PCE for that room and it'll be perfect!

Terminarcade

Yeah, Id love to have a Duo-R or Rx eventually. Also, thanks everyone for the nice comments!

SuperPlay

Quote from: guest on 01/17/2012, 01:03 PM
Quote from: Terminarcade on 01/17/2012, 12:49 PMI know, I might be some newbie around these parts, but we all have to start somewhere... hope you guys enjoy the setup.
Welcome to the forums, Terminarcade!  Awesome setup.
Also liking your games room :@)

Shrapnoid

Can't get a darn pic! The lighting in my house sucks! Hopefully I'll be moving soon and that'll change.

I use a referbed 19 inch Sanyo LCD with 75 watt Coby speakers and sub.

I run the Turbo Duo through it's standard stereo A/V composite through a Hi-Fi VCR plugged into the TV via stereo composite as well.

I also have my gaming PC hooked up to that TV and sound system and my PS2 as well.

Now that I've brought me Duo back into the living room, my PS2 just sits around collecting dust.

Just goes to show that 128-bit isn't everything.  

EDIT: I just remembered something EXTREMELY important!
If anyone is using a sub woofer or home theater setup, keep your Duo or Turbo-CD as far from it as possible!
About 5 years ago, I made the mistake of having a setup like that with the Duo and games just inches away.
The system must have gotten magnetized and I had trouble with a lot of the games too.
I panicked so badly that I even prayed about it, unhooked it all and after a little over a week, it was back to normal.

Now I know how this sounds but, I'm trying to save anyone else the terror of going through with something like this so, just be careful with your stuff.

turbokon

Hello guys, It has been been awhile since I posted something.  Thought I'ld start again by showing off my "set up":)  You can see which systems get most of my luv!

Edit: I also have a YouTube video of my set up here.
Turbo fan since 1991 after owning my first system.

Check out my website:)
www.tg16pcemods.com

munchiaz

^nice set up there. I like how the consoles are setup

soop

Here's mine.  You can't see it all, but on the bottom, there's the  N64, Megadrive, Super Grafx and Wii.  You can see some boxed PC stuff to the side.

IMG

*edit* oh yeah, and Hu Cards all under the TV.  In fact, you can see quite a few PC Engines in that pile.  Note the 2 GTs on top, and a Core and PCE at the bottom
Quote from: esteban on 04/26/2018, 04:44 PMSHUTTLECOCK OR SHUFFLE OFF!

soop

I SAID, NOTE THE 2GTs ON TOP.  NOTE THEM!!!!!
Quote from: esteban on 04/26/2018, 04:44 PMSHUTTLECOCK OR SHUFFLE OFF!