FS: US Magical Chase Box + other boxes for trade

Started by geddon_jt, 01/15/2012, 10:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

geddon_jt

Dear all,

I am very fortunate to own a complete copy of US Magical Chase. I have owned this game since about 2007 and bought it from a fellow who bought it new upon release in 1993.

Due to financial reasons, and other considerations, I am strongly considering selling the cardboard box to this game. It is too much of a pain to hunt down the other boxes I'm missing and therefore I have come to terms with having a jewel+manual+cart based collection. I will keep the cartridge and manual.

Here is my dilemma. I would like to sell this to a community member rather than ebay it. However, I know how price sensitive people are on this site, and I won't mince words saying that I want a lot of money for this box. If I come right out with a price, I feel there is a pretty good chance I will wind up in that gouging thread and I don't want nor need that. However, I also hate selling threads where people say "make me an offer." So I am torn. In conclusion, I would like to get PMs from those of you who are interested in the item, and then I will perhaps contact you each with my price. I might change my mind on how to go about this but that seems to make the most sense for now.

I will, of course, provide hi-res photos to interested parties. This box is pretty special. It still has the outer shrink-wrap and hangtag on it, but was carefully opened at the very top to remove the game. The plastic inner tray is included. The box is basically in perfect shape with the following "flaws": the flap at the top has minor creasing from being opened to remove the game. Also, on the face of the box toward the bottom right are some marks, that almost look as if someone was writing with a ball point pen on top of the box before it was shrink-wrapped. You can't even see these "indentations" unless you hold it up to the light. The box is kind of wavy/curvy as is typical of all Turbo games released without a jewel case.

Please PM me if you are genuinely interested in this box. No, I am not a reseller, but a Turbo fan since I got one at 10 years old in 1989. So please go easy on the criticism.

I also have many more boxes I haven't yet listed but I may be interested in trading for the last few items I need to complete the US collection. Those items are as follows:

USA NTSC TURBOGRAFX-16/DUO COMPLETE GAMES NEEDED
================================================

Addams Family (CD)
Battle Royale
Darkwing Duck
It Came from the Desert (CD)
Jack Nicklaus Turbo Golf (CD)
JB Harold Murder Club (CD)
John Madden Football (Super CD)
Somer Assault
Sonic Spike Volleyball

TURBOGRAFX-16/DUO ORPHANS NEEDED
================================
B=box, J=jewel case, M=manual, C=cart

Hit the Ice (M)
Timeball (J,M)
Veigues Tactical Gladiator (C)

Maybe some of you who have the above items can let me know what cardboard boxes you are after and I will let you know if I have them. Thanks everyone! Kind regards, John

geddon_jt

Quick update everyone. I have received a LOT of interest and I really appreciate it. I haven't yet responded to any PMs. What I intend to do is give this about another 24 hours and send all interested parties an email with my sale price and photos. This email will be sent simultaneously to all to make it fair. At that point, whatever person is first to offer what I am asking (or if nobody does, the highest offer?) is who I will sell the box to.

Thanks again everyone for your interest. Best regards, John

Sparky

ok, at least your being straight up and honest about your intentions <<shrugs>> personally i would not pay a lot for a box, or even a manual but there are some crazies out there that will so i bet you will get what you want for it, nice you offered it up here first.

BUT if any f ebay members out there considering be very careful  :twisted:

SMF

Quote from: guest on 01/15/2012, 06:14 PMok, at least your being straight up and honest about your intentions <<shrugs>> personally i would not pay a lot for a box, or even a manual but there are some crazies out there that will so i bet you will get what you want for it, nice you offered it up here first.

BUT if any f ebay members out there considering be very careful  :twisted:
LOL I for one wont be paying over $20 for a box lol.
Welcome to Prime Time B!tch

SignOfZeta

I'm sure you'll offend, or at least amuse, a lot of people here. I wouldn't worry about it though. Anyone who is enough of a dipshit to pay actual money for a useless cardboard box that does nothing but mimic the same art that is on the case itself obviously is open to the idea of spending way too much money on nothing. Basically, the only people who think its worth anything are the ones who are your potential buyers, so ignore all the assholes, such as myself, who consider this sort of deranged materialism totally laughable.
IMG

neoxeno

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 01/15/2012, 06:22 PMI'm sure you'll offend, or at least amuse, a lot of people here. I wouldn't worry about it though. Anyone who is enough of a dipshit to pay actual money for a useless cardboard box that does nothing but mimic the same art that is on the case itself obviously is open to the idea of spending way too much money on nothing. Basically, the only people who think its worth anything are the ones who are your potential buyers, so ignore all the assholes, such as myself, who consider this sort of deranged materialism totally laughable.
+1
Search : SUPERGRAFX
You may have meant to search for soporifics.

MotherGunner

-MG

SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM (If you want peace, Prepare for war)
SI VIS BELLUM, PARA MATRIMONIUM (If you want war, Prepare for marriage)

Bernie

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 01/15/2012, 06:22 PMI'm sure you'll offend, or at least amuse, a lot of people here. I wouldn't worry about it though. Anyone who is enough of a dipshit to pay actual money for a useless cardboard box that does nothing but mimic the same art that is on the case itself obviously is open to the idea of spending way too much money on nothing. Basically, the only people who think its worth anything are the ones who are your potential buyers, so ignore all the assholes, such as myself, who consider this sort of deranged materialism totally laughable.
Yeah, I agree.

BlueBMW

To the OP, thank you for offering it here first versus going to ebay.  That is appreciated!  As others have said, not all of us see the value in the boxes, but there are collectors with the disposable income to afford such things, so let em have it :D  Good luck with the sale!
[Sun 23:29] <Tatsujin> we have hard off, book off, house off, sports off, baby off, clothes off, jerk off, piss off etc

bust3dstr8

Real life bills>>>>>>> hobby funtime. You shouldn't be in a dilemma about getting the most money possible for a useless cardboard box.
Clowns Suck
IMG IMG

BigusSchmuck

I for one, see no point in collecting card board boxes considering you could replicate one so easily.

SignOfZeta

Replicating one is even stupider. It doesn't fucking do anything. Its only positive characteristic is being %100 legit and real. If its not legit and real its completely pointless.
IMG

mrhaboobi

i think its great that hes prepared to offer it here first and given the number of pms hes said he has had its evidence that plenty of people would pay for a box even if there are a few people that dont see the value, i guess thats what makes the difference between pure collectors and pure players, i like to think i sit somewhere in the middle, where i like to play the games but still want the games complete and mint..  op for the overseas members could you try and make it a decent time for your email, im particularly interested in your list of other boxes.
Looking for (MINT ONLY)
US Manual : Magical Chase, Shockman 
US Box : Turrican,  Soldier Blade, New Adventure Island, Neutopia II
Other : Sapphire OBI, Turbo Play Aug/Sept 90, April/May 92, Turbo Edge Spring 90

PC Engine Special Cards : Bomberman User Battle

Alydnes Super Grafx

SignOfZeta

I'm pretty sure most people are in the middle. I haven't beaten Super Star Soldier on the hardest difficulty, but I'm not going to pay $200 for a cardboard sleeve either.
IMG

Mishran

I have several games complete with their cardboard boxes. I have properly disposed of the boxes in the past by ripping them up, burning them, etc. as I see no "value" in the boxes myself. If lack of room dictates, I will properly dispose of the boxes I have now. If someone is out to collect "mint" then they are not a true OBEY'r. Games are meant for playing, dammit, not sitting around looking pretty. I suppose though that if people have the money to throw away on something so useless, more power to them. [-X

Samurai Ghost

Quote from: Mishran on 01/16/2012, 05:49 AMI have several games complete with their cardboard boxes. I have properly disposed of the boxes in the past by ripping them up, burning them, etc. as I see no "value" in the boxes myself. If lack of room dictates, I will properly dispose of the boxes I have now. If someone is out to collect "mint" then they are not a true OBEY'r. Games are meant for playing, dammit, not sitting around looking pretty. I suppose though that if people have the money to throw away on something so useless, more power to them. [-X
Although there are plenty of collectors out there who want to buy this stuff, I pretty much agree with you here. For instance, why do people care so much about spine cards? When I got game I used to just throw them away as they are annoying and useless pieces of paper, but I know some people are picky about having them so these days I usually tuck them into the instruction booklets in case I decide to sell them one day. But I guess that's what makes them collectable, as most people just toss them (as they used to do with NES boxes, etc.) Missing a manual is a pretty big deal as it has a lot of extra art/info from the game, but I can't see a single thing a spine card adds other than an annoyance.

I guess boxes have nice artwork, but I couldn't see myself spending a lot of money for one. Plus the fact that cardboard is always going to get damaged to a certain extent. That's why I don't bother to look for NES/FC/SNES/SFC games in box as they usually look like crap already, and why I love collecting Master System/Megadrive/Genesis games with their clam-shell boxes that look nice even after two decades of use.

Mishran

I normally tuck the spine card between the case insert and cd tray. It takes up no real space and I usually tend to forget it's in there. #-o

Samurai Ghost

Quote from: Mishran on 01/16/2012, 09:13 AMI normally tuck the spine card between the case insert and cd tray. It takes up no real space and I usually tend to forget it's in there. #-o
Yeah, that's a good place to keep it. If it's with the instructions it tends to fall out/get in the way. I should put more of my spine cards in there.

esteban

I didn't read this entire thread, but the reason why it's nice to have a box (assuming it is in decent shape) is because it is fun to see how it appeared at retail. I used to keep my NES boxes (back in the 80's), but it took up a lot of space (I stored them separately). Later, I ended up selling all my NES games (sans boxes) to fund 16-bit purchases. Well, I eventually found the old NES boxes, and it was a blast to look at the old NES art. I also realized that I should never had sold the NES games. Oh well.

blah blah blah
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

mrhaboobi

Quote from: Mishran on 01/16/2012, 05:49 AMI have several games complete with their cardboard boxes. I have properly disposed of the boxes in the past by ripping them up, burning them, etc. as I see no "value" in the boxes myself. If lack of room dictates, I will properly dispose of the boxes I have now. If someone is out to collect "mint" then they are not a true OBEY'r. Games are meant for playing, dammit, not sitting around looking pretty. I suppose though that if people have the money to throw away on something so useless, more power to them. [-X
Yup games are meant for playing, but as a kid half as much fun as completing the game was just gazing at the boxes and looking at the pictures, especially when i wasnt always able to play as much as a i wanted ( damn parents and school ). Also i liked to keep my games tidy, mint, well looked after, they were my cherished items, i didnt get a new game that often, they were not cheap when i did get a new gamei was played and played and beat it, but it was still looked after, put back in its boxes as they were special items ( i remember getting FF3 and Chrono Trigger for SNES, i played them non stop but i still have them as new as the day i got them in their boxes) .  Now i have the same habit, and i like to have my gear mint, i guess its a pride thing.. So the offer to you and others that dont desire the boxes as much as other, is if you have any boxes you do want to get rid of, and they are mint, then i would love to know if you have the last few i want to add to my collection as to me the games deserve to have everything they came with and in as good a condition as i can get them.. doesnt mean they wont be played.. you can look after your gear and enjoy the look of them at the same time..
Looking for (MINT ONLY)
Other : Sapphire OBI, Turbo Play Aug/Sept 90, April/May 92, Turbo Edge Spring 90

Alydnes Super Grafx

SignOfZeta

I occasionally keep spine cards I there is art or text on them that is cool and isn't on the game itself. Examples: Saphhire (PCE) and Capcom versus SNK 2 (DC). Most of the time though I destroy them on principle.
IMG

drsreym

I'm interested in buying it please keep me up to date.

Bernie

I wonder how much he is expecting to get for it?  I aint one to keep boxes myself, so I couldnt see paying a lot.  However, I am sure since it is this game, it will be a substantial amount.

SMF

Whoever wins should tell us how much they paid for it   :D

jperryss

Quote from: SMF on 01/16/2012, 07:38 PMWhoever wins should tell us how much they paid for it   :D
I know many of us will be a little curious but I think it's decent that the OP is giving the buyer the option to disclose it or not.

Maybe just keep an eye on the "What did you buy today" thread. :D

SMF

Quote from: jperryss on 01/16/2012, 07:54 PM
Quote from: SMF on 01/16/2012, 07:38 PMWhoever wins should tell us how much they paid for it   :D
I know many of us will be a little curious but I think it's decent that the OP is giving the buyer the option to disclose it or not.

Yea prolly won't know and that's cool. I know in the past people have paid up to $450 for a mint box. I dnt see the point in a box by it self. But kudos to the seller letting the forum members have first crack at it.

jperryss

Quote from: SMF on 01/16/2012, 08:03 PM
Quote from: jperryss on 01/16/2012, 07:54 PM
Quote from: SMF on 01/16/2012, 07:38 PMWhoever wins should tell us how much they paid for it   :D

Yea prolly won't know and that's cool. I know in the past people have paid up to $450 for a mint box. I dnt see the point in a box by it self. But kudos to the seller letting the forum members have first crack at it.
Me neither. I hate boxes for the sole reason that they don't line up with the jewel cases on the shelf.

And yeah, $450 is almost half of what I've paid for my entire collection.

geise

The whole reason to have it would be for resale value.  Expect to see a loose MC with a box on ebay in the near future.  I have a feeling the OP will make a decent amount of money.  I have boxes to my games,  but I don't go out of my way to buy a game complete with a box.  I did however buy Neutopia complete (almost mint) with a box, but that was because it was only $17 bucks.  All my boxed games besides Neutopia, were bought brand new back in the day.  I just decided to keep them.  The whole reason was cause that's how it was when I bought it.  Now I could really care less.

SignOfZeta

To be fair, Magical Chase is one of those later releases where the cheap bastards skipped the case. The crappy cardboard box is the only "case" you get. So while the box is normally a useless wrapper for the case, if you don't have the box for MC you have a loose MC...which kind of sucks. One more reason to buy the PCE version.
IMG

SMF

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 01/17/2012, 01:22 PMTo be fair, Magical Chase is one of those later releases where the cheap bastards skipped the case. The crappy cardboard box is the only "case" you get. So while the box is normally a useless wrapper for the case, if you don't have the box for MC you have a loose MC...which kind of sucks. One more reason to buy the PCE version.
Or do what I did, Get a keith courage case with a Sparky label and a authentic Magical Chase case.

SignOfZeta

Despite (non-sensical) popular belief, PCE games are at least as authentic as TG-16 games. IMO, much more so.
IMG

geddon_jt

Hi guys, quick update. I plan on sending all interested parties a PM after I get home from work tonight. That is the only free time I think I will have available this week. So, look for it around 6:00 p.m. eastern time. Thanks everyone for your interest. Regards, John

Arkhan Asylum

Ill give you 75$ for it

and then ill nail it to my wall.
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

drsreym

Its after 6 and the world is anticipating...

SignOfZeta

IMG

geddon_jt

PM just sent to all interested parties, with a link to photos. Sorry to keep you all waiting so long. Thanks everyone.

edojapan76

BigusSchmuck

Quote from: edojapan76 on 01/18/2012, 10:36 PMSorry to rich for my blood.
Yeah, for a cardboard box. I got a bunch of em at work I can sell for $75.

mrhaboobi

Quote from: BigusSchmuck on 01/18/2012, 11:08 PM
Quote from: edojapan76 on 01/18/2012, 10:36 PMSorry to rich for my blood.
Yeah, for a cardboard box. I got a bunch of em at work I can sell for $75.
If they are cardboard boxes for tg games then let me know what you have as id be interested.. :)..
Looking for (MINT ONLY)

Alydnes Super Grafx

Bernie

He wants over 1000.00.  PLUS 2% for paypal.  What a jackass.  Thats not even in the ball park range of Ebay Gouging.  Thats just outright bend over and lemme give it to ya.  Whomever buys this is a big a jackass as he is.  Have fun hanging on to your box fella.   :mrgreen:

Samurai Ghost

$1000 for a cardboard box? Seriously? You could get a boxed LT for less than that.

Bernie

1250 to be exact.  I think I just threw up a little..  ugh

geise

Quote from: geddon_jt on 01/15/2012, 10:48 AMI know how price sensitive people are on this site, and I won't mince words saying that I want a lot of money for this box. If I come right out with a price, I feel there is a pretty good chance I will wind up in that gouging thread and I don't want nor need that. However, I also hate selling threads where people say "make me an offer."
:---)

Opethian

IMG

SuperDeadite

I like how it's "$1,250".  Wonder what the extra $50 is for?  Wifey need new boobs?
Stronger Than Your Average Deadite

geise

Maybe he needs the money to pay off his Range Rover.   :-"

MotherGunner

-MG

roflmao

Really!?   :shock:

Would anyone even pay one-tenth that for a cardboard box!?

MotherGunner

The crazy thing is, someone here WILL actually buy it.. like the last guy who paid $1700 for the whole thing...
-MG

Sadler

I don't personally care about boxes and I wouldn't pay anywhere near that even for a magical chase box. I don't know if I'd pay that much for a loose copy of the actual game. Anyway, it seems like the guy's been pretty straight up about his intentions, so I can respect that. He came right out and said he wanted a lot of money for it. I don't know if this is worthy of pitch forks and torches. :)