RIP to BT Garner of MindRec.com... He passed away early 2023 from health problems. BT was one of the top PCE homebrew developers and founder of the OG Turbo List, then PCECP.com. Condolences to family and friends.
IMG
IMG
Main Menu

1up,GameSpy Shut Down By Ziff-Daivs IGN Suffers Layoffs

Started by TR0N, 02/22/2013, 12:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TR0N

IMG
PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

SignOfZeta

IMG

TR0N

IMG

TheClash603

1up had the worst page design ever, but their content was so-so.

Gamespy was junk.

Tatsujin

www.pcedaisakusen.net - home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games countdown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

bob

I agree TRON, retronauts got me through many a plane flight. But all in all, I never looked at the sites much.
Sucks for anybody being laid off.

Ji-L87

CHECKPOINT!
Quote from: esteban on 09/23/2012, 01:40 AMThere is a perverted Japanese businessman in every Swiss PCE fan.

roflmao

Never heard of any of it.  But if it was retro-related in them media, it probably was a loss. :(

Sadler

Retronauts was my favorite podcast by a huge margin. Their release schedule had gotten pretty bad recently. They used to be weekly. Sometime last year that started to degrade. Between November and December I think we got one show, and one show since then. Regardless, check out their archive. Yes, they make mistakes, but overall it was a really good podcast. Here's their TG16 show.

TR0N

Quote from: galam on 02/22/2013, 08:12 AMI agree TRON, retronauts got me through many a plane flight. But all in all, I never looked at the sites much.
Sucks for anybody being laid off.
Yeah the,retronauts podcast was the only thing i liked about 1up.com.We shall see if they will be around still or not.Unless the people there find jobs at another site.
IMG

NightWolve

Retronauts = RIP ? I had linked their Victor Ireland interview way back... They had done that, if you might remember. Well, that sucks. Personally, I never got into podcasts, but I appreciated that one interview. I recall that 1up had done a nice, big Ys review or something way back as well, but with so much content out there, they were just another review site of many and I developed no further interest.

TheClash603

P.S., I feel guilty for mentioning how the sites sucked and I won't miss them without saying that I DO feel ad for the people impacted.

I have had awful co-workers let go in the past that for years had been a burden on my life and I still always wish them the best.  Hopefully these people get back on their feet.

Johnny Turbo

Even if the quality of these sites was at best so-so it's strange to see them shutting down. I really don't understand all of these video game related closures lately.

TR0N

Quote from: Johnny Turbo on 02/23/2013, 10:54 AMEven if the quality of these sites was at best so-so it's strange to see them shutting down. I really don't understand all of these video game related closures lately.
Greed mostly IGN parent company bought them years ago. Since there not making the profit they want,they are cutting them loose.
IMG