Best 2-player games?

Started by VenomMacbeth, 03/23/2013, 05:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VenomMacbeth

Sorry if this has already been discussed.  My girlfriend has been playing more retro games with me lately & I've been thinking about getting a multitap & some 2-player games for us to try.  So far, only Bomberman comes to mind, but I'm sure there are others. 

Also, on a completely unrelated note, what's the going rate for a complete copy of PC Genjin?
Quote from: Gogan on 08/01/2013, 09:54 AMPlay Turbografx.
Play the Turbografx. PLAY
THE TURBOGRAFX!!!!!!

Buh buh buh, I have almost all teh games evar.  I R TEH BESTEST COLLECTR!!

runinruder

Wayback - thebrothersduomazov.com - Reviews of over 400 TurboGrafx-16/PC-Engine games

PunkCryborg

operation wolf is fun 2 player

roflmao

Tatsujin

motoroader II/MC
battle lode runner
pc genjin 3
wallaby
final match tennis
street fighter II'
power olympics
splash lake
world Jockey
Formation Soccer 1, J-League, Serie A, Tremendous
Panic Bomer
Human Sports Festival
military madness aka nectaris
www.pcedaisakusen.net - home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games countdown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

hoobs88

1 title needed for a complete US Turbo Grafx collection: Magical Chase
Parasol Stars High Score = 119,783,770
https://www.pcengine-fx.com/forums/index.php?topic=9292.0
League of Legends Summoner Name = DeviousSideburns

TR0N

Aero Blasters
Busters Bros
Dragon Saber
IMG
PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

esteban

IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

_Paul

esteban

_Paul

Tatsujin

deffo it's brill'n'fab.
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

TheClash603

Quote from: guest on 03/24/2013, 07:50 AMDeffo Splash Lake.
Splash Lake and Cadash were easily the two 2-player games I had the most fun with.

Bomberman and Motoroader would be added to my list if you ended up with 4-players around, but at just 2-players you can't beat these games.

esteban

Quote from: TheClash603 on 03/24/2013, 02:12 PM
Quote from: guest on 03/24/2013, 07:50 AMDeffo Splash Lake.
Splash Lake and Cadash were easily the two 2-player games I had the most fun with.

Bomberman and Motoroader would be added to my list if you ended up with 4-players around, but at just 2-players you can't beat these games.
Cadash is ace!

SignOfZeta

The absolute best PCE game for two players is...a very close tie, I'd say, between Puyo Puyo Tsu and Street Fighter II'.

The problem though is that when you trying to find something fun for someone less hardcore than you both of these games might be not so great because its possible to be really good and DESTROY other people. Puyo one of those that when you win big it just demoralizes the hell out your opponent. You can CRUSH dudes in Puyo.

So maybe Panic Bomber would be better. Its a bit more random and I'm not sure anyone in the world is actually good at it. Bonk 3 would be pretty cool too. Everyone likes Bonk. And of course Buster Bros. I'm not sure why we don't hear people talking about Buster Bros (Pomping World) more.
IMG

ElSeven

The kick ball mini game in Chew Man Fu has to be one of the most stupid/fun two player games for the turbo.  Sure... it may lack depth, but it's the type of game that anyone could pick up and get competitive with right away.  my friends and I start cursing each other out within 2 rounds.

also, Bonanza Bros is fun too.
currently playing:
PCE - Raiden
SNES - Chrono Trigger
DC - Fast Striker

PCE LP

Keranu

Quote from: ElSeven on 03/24/2013, 11:35 PMThe kick ball mini game in Chew Man Fu has to be one of the most stupid/fun two player games for the turbo.  Sure... it may lack depth, but it's the type of game that anyone could pick up and get competitive with right away.  my friends and I start cursing each other out within 2 rounds.
I have a serious addiction to the kickball song.
Quote from: TurboXray on 01/02/2014, 09:21 PMAdding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).
IMG
Click the banner to learn more about Alex Chiu and his "immortality rings"

esteban

LE BOTTOM LINE: THE "BATTLE ARENA" IN DUNGEON EXPLORER IS THE ONLY 2+ PLAYER GAME WORTH YOUR TIME. :pcgs:

Bardoly

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 03/24/2013, 04:10 PMThe absolute best PCE game for two players is...a very close tie, I'd say, between Puyo Puyo Tsu and Street Fighter II'.

The problem though is that when you trying to find something fun for someone less hardcore than you both of these games might be not so great because its possible to be really good and DESTROY other people. Puyo one of those that when you win big it just demoralizes the hell out your opponent. You can CRUSH dudes in Puyo.

So maybe Panic Bomber would be better. Its a bit more random and I'm not sure anyone in the world is actually good at it. Bonk 3 would be pretty cool too. Everyone likes Bonk. And of course Buster Bros. I'm not sure why we don't hear people talking about Buster Bros (Pomping World) more.
I really enjoy Buster Bros.  I'm just not sure what to say about it.   :mrgreen:

roflmao

Buster Brothers is an excellent 2 player co-op game!  I can't believe I forgot to mention it along with Dungeon Explorer.  Another fun 2 player co-op game is Double Dungeons.  You can fight each other if you want, but it's easy to tell early on who's going to win.

Any variation of Bomberman is great with 3+ players, but I'm not too sure about it being 1 on 1 against your gf. :/

Hellfire S and Sapphire are both fun shmups with 2 players.  Aero Blasters is also 2 players but is hard as nails.  Unrelenting.

Tatsujin

pomping world for the pce is (how so often) the best console port of that game from the 8-/16-bit era. I just so wished that they could have used the toriyama like arworks for the intermission pics. rest is top-notch and even better due to a fantastic red-book audio.

roflmao

Derp, I should have called "Buster Brothers" "Pomping World". I didn't notice what thread I was in.  :oops:

esteban

Quote from: ElSeven on 03/24/2013, 11:35 PMThe kick ball mini game in Chew Man Fu has to be one of the most stupid/fun two player games for the turbo.  Sure... it may lack depth, but it's the type of game that anyone could pick up and get competitive with right away.  my friends and I start cursing each other out within 2 rounds.

also, Bonanza Bros is fun too.
I MUST PLAY Bonanza Bros.

I don't think I ever played it more than a few minutes (arcade emulation).

Tatsujin

esteban

I see what you did there.

roflmao

retroguy

Finally! Other people who like Double Dungeons! I was seriously starting to think I was the only fan that game had.
I am bad and that's good. I will never be good and that's not bad. There's no one I'd rather be than me.

roflmao

Quote from: retroguy on 04/01/2013, 10:56 AMFinally! Other people who like Double Dungeons! I was seriously starting to think I was the only fan that game had.
Double Dungeons is one of my favorite Hucards!  It's so much fun in short bursts.  I don't think I'll ever beat that last level, though. :)

hoobs88

Quote from: guest on 04/01/2013, 12:18 PM
Quote from: retroguy on 04/01/2013, 10:56 AMFinally! Other people who like Double Dungeons! I was seriously starting to think I was the only fan that game had.
Double Dungeons is one of my favorite Hucards!  It's so much fun in short bursts.  I don't think I'll ever beat that last level, though. :)
I figured I would save time by entering letters through trial & error when I had all but 1 letter of the password to get into the final dungeon. I beat it one time many years ago and never replayed it.
1 title needed for a complete US Turbo Grafx collection: Magical Chase
Parasol Stars High Score = 119,783,770
https://www.pcengine-fx.com/forums/index.php?topic=9292.0
League of Legends Summoner Name = DeviousSideburns

soop

Yeah, pomping world is awesome.  Thumbs up from me d('_')b
Totally forgot AeroBlasters was 2 player the last time I had friends around and put it on -__-

Let's see, anything else that hasn't been said?  Oh Sapphire is 2 player but I can't remember what format was specified...

Sorry, now I can't think of anything but the injustice that Bubble Bobble was never released on PCE.
Quote from: esteban on 04/26/2018, 04:44 PMSHUTTLECOCK OR SHUFFLE OFF!

VenomMacbeth

Quote from: soop on 04/02/2013, 06:06 AMLet's see, anything else that hasn't been said?  Oh Sapphire is 2 player but I can't remember what format was specified...
I'd love to get my hands on a repro of Sapphire!  Are they still available anywhere?

Also, did Double Dungeons have a US release?  I've been thinking about just getting a TG-16 for RPGs and whatnot.
Quote from: Gogan on 08/01/2013, 09:54 AMPlay Turbografx.
Play the Turbografx. PLAY
THE TURBOGRAFX!!!!!!

Buh buh buh, I have almost all teh games evar.  I R TEH BESTEST COLLECTR!!

soop

You might be lucky.  BlueBMW gave me two, and I gave my spare to Samurai Ghost.  I think a few people got two copies, so you just have to find someone willing to give you their spare.
Quote from: esteban on 04/26/2018, 04:44 PMSHUTTLECOCK OR SHUFFLE OFF!

retroguy

Quote from: VenomMacbeth on 04/02/2013, 10:53 AMAlso, did Double Dungeons have a US release?  I've been thinking about just getting a TG-16 for RPGs and whatnot.
Yes it did and for some reason I'll never understand, it's become a running joke on Youtube to do AVGN-style reviews of it. That irritates me because, stupid as it is, there are lots of people who will look at a review like that and then go around saying the game is terrible without ever playing it themselves even once. The longer that goes on, the more likely it is that DD will be canonized as one of the worst games ever when it's really not. At all.
I am bad and that's good. I will never be good and that's not bad. There's no one I'd rather be than me.

roflmao

Yeah, you can pick up a complete version (minus box) for $15 shipped on ebay right now ($10 loose).  I'm sure if you wait you can find it for closer to $10 complete around these parts, but $15 isn't unreasonable, imo.  I love the music tracks in the game, though the main track becomes repetitive after listening to it for 30+ minutes...  Great, mindless game that you can play with a friend.