10/31/2023: Localization News - Dead of the Brain 1!

No, NOT a trick, a Halloween treat! Presenting the Dead of the Brain 1 English patch by David Shadoff for the DEAD last official PC Engine CD game published by NEC before exiting the console biz in 1999! I helped edit/betatest and it's also a game I actually finished in 2023, yaaay! Shubibiman also did a French localization. github.com/dshadoff/DeadoftheBrain
twitter.com/NightWolve/PCENews
Main Menu

The SNES (shitty nintenderp excrement system) Hate Thread

Started by VenomMacbeth, 08/13/2013, 01:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VenomMacbeth

What an over-rated, over-inflated, underpowered piece of crap.  Everyone seems to love the shit out of it, so almost all the decent games for it are way overpriced.  I'll admit there are some games for it that I really like, and even some I'd yet like to own, but I haven't yet because spending money on them always leaves a bad taste in my mouth.  

Seriously, PCE & Genny for the win.  If you must have some snessy gimmickry, spring for a fucking 32x & Sega CD.  They do it better anyways.

I know there's some serious SNES hate circulating around this forum.  Stand up & testify, my brothers!

[EDIT:] Okay, so maybe the Sega CD doesn't do things better than the SNES...but it could have.  That counts for something, right?
Quote from: Gogan on 08/01/2013, 09:54 AMPlay Turbografx.
Play the Turbografx. PLAY
THE TURBOGRAFX!!!!!!

Buh buh buh, I have almost all teh games evar.  I R TEH BESTEST COLLECTR!!

roflmao

All the 8/16-bit systems get my love (with one obvious favorite) but I don't understand the snes hate around here.  F-Zero, Mario Kart, Final Fantasy II, Super Mario World, Link to the Past, Super Smash TV, and a ton of other great games instantly come to mind that I play regularly on my SNES.

I play my SNES far more than my Genny.  

I really don't get the hate.   :-k

OldRover

Out of all the fourth-generation consoles, the SNES has the least number of titles I like, although a couple of them are certainly in my "best games EVAR" list. The PCE still has way more titles in both lists though. :D
Turbo Badass Rank: Janne (6 of 12 clears)
Conquered so far: Sinistron, Violent Soldier, Tatsujin, Super Raiden, Shape Shifter, Rayxanber II

VenomMacbeth

It's funny, because in my youth, I was an avid Nintendo fan, and even then I couldn't get into the SNES.  For instance, to this day, I am a die-hard fan of the F-Zero series & like almost every game in the series...except for the first one.  

What makes me loathe the SNES so fervently is a combination of the ridiculous amount of hype it gets among even modern gamers, and how overpriced the games are for it.  Add to that the crappy MIDI-ish sound, and the fact that a lot of the most favored games on it are RPG's (my least-favorite genre) and it all just begins to make me cringe.

Assault Suits Valken is one of my all-time favorite games, and there are many others that I enjoy, but ultimately the SNES's competitors win me over.
THE TURBOGRAFX!!!!!!

SuperDeadite

Traditionally I've been the main SNES hater here.  But in truth I don't really hate it, just see it for what it is.  A shitty piece of plastic with games that are only decent if you haven't played anything else. 

The SNES excels at having games with super long levels by putting backgrounds and sprites on loops for very long periods of time.  Plus of course the slowness.  You can tell Ninfark was really depending on screenshots to sell games, cause speed and animation is terrible.  And the sound, ugh does anyone really like that awful muffled mess?  It's like someone duct tapped a pillow over my speakers.

Oh, and VM, plz don't compare SNES with MIDI.  They sound nothing a like, absolutely nothing.
Stronger Than Your Average Deadite

Jabberwok

Well a game on this system have a hold on me & that's Chrono Trigger. This game have it all : Graphics, sounds, gameplay but best of all... story! I mean time travel? CMON!!!

Other than that the SuperNES is a nice barebones system. What I mean by that is it was made with co-processor chips in mind inside the carts. That's like admitting you don't put an engine in the car you build... Oh & 3.58MHz? that's funny right there, I mean even if RPG's were the most popular genre in Japan at the time would the same system but with a higher clockspeed have hindered those games? nope. I still remember it's launch & the 'speed jokes'... But if I'm really honest with myself... I bought it on launch day because of Super Mario World...

Even if the sound samples comes out of a can.

VenomMacbeth

Quote from: SuperDeadite on 08/13/2013, 07:04 AMOh, and VM, plz don't compare SNES with MIDI.  They sound nothing a like, absolutely nothing.
Have you played Darius Twin?  Sounds awful MIDI to me.
THE TURBOGRAFX!!!!!!

turbokon

I don't hate the Snes. There are a few games I enjoy on it, turtles IV, castlevania IV and Super R-Type just to name a few.
Turbo fan since 1991 after owning my first system.

Check out my website:)
www.tg16pcemods.com

SuperDeadite

Quote from: VenomMacbeth on 08/13/2013, 07:42 AM
Quote from: SuperDeadite on 08/13/2013, 07:04 AMOh, and VM, plz don't compare SNES with MIDI.  They sound nothing a like, absolutely nothing.
Have you played Darius Twin?  Sounds awful MIDI to me.
Do you even know what MIDI is?  MIDI is just digital sheet music that controls a synth.  To most people, MIDI = Windows GS Synth which is an awful cheaply made software synth.  MIDI itself has no meaning on sound quality, it's dependant on the synth or sound generator reading it.

For example, SSF2:
And some Castlevania MIDI:
Both of those are 100% MIDI.

geise

I do love me some games on SNES, but yes it has the least "must own" games to me compared to the pc-engine, or even Genesis/MD for that matter.  Like Old Rove there are some SNES titles in my BEST EVA! list.

Now as far as game prices, SNES is terrible, even worse than TG-16 for being stupid on prices.  Go to ebay, type in TMNT Turtles in Time, and you will get 234590872345908723405978 hits with barely any of them under $30.  Super common games are way over priced just cause it's SNES :lol:  So, I stick to being without a SNES and just playing it on my Wii.

Opethian

SFC did not stand the test of time to me. I cant go back and sit thorugh any of those games anymore.
Megadrive and PCE has more titles I care about.
IMG

Gillian Seed

Not sure if serious.

The underpowered part is what really confuses me. It may not be the console of choice for SHMUPs, but I'd say the SFC had the most beautiful games of the generation.

PukeSter

I know this is a PCE forum, but what's with all the SNES hate? It has some of the greatest and most innovative games of all time, that you can't get on either PCE or Genny. All 3 systems have their merits.

Gillian Seed

This is why I'm glad I didn't own any of the 16-bit systems back then. I can appreciate all of them without any silly bias :P

SuperDeadite

Quote from: guest on 08/13/2013, 10:26 AMI know this is a PCE forum, but what's with all the SNES hate? It has some of the greatest and most innovative games of all time, that you can't get on either PCE or Genny. All 3 systems have their merits.
Innovative games on SNES?  Like what?  I really don't consider spamming background rotation effects innovative.  Hell, arcade and computer games were doing that years before the SNES existed.  SNES games are basically just NES games with more color, but much slower and way less action.

PunkCryborg

Going back to the system now the thing I can't stand the most is the crappy tinny trumpet synths and reverb they used the shit out of. Makes my ears bleed.
Just listen to this
How could they have ruined such an awesome track

Gillian Seed

There are poor uses of sound on every system, and I'd argue the Mega Drive tends to get the short end of the stick more often than the others. It's amazing to think some of the sound in licensed SNES/MD multiplats can only offer up buzzes and fart sounds on the same system that has soundtracks like Thunderforce III, Gleylancer, and Streets of Rage. Likewise the SNES has games ported over from the Mega Drive that don't stack up like Thunder Spirits (though it still sounds okay imo), but then has soundtracks like Super Adventure Island, FFVI, and Dracula XX (I almost like this soundtrack as much as the PCE version and it's not even on CD).

PukeSter

Super Mario World, so much fun
Link to the Past, a grand and epic adventure
Yoshi`s island, an incredible platformer
Super Metroid, beautiful, very large game
Goemon, very interesting beatemup platformer hybrid.

These are some of the most popular games on the system. To say they suck is an insult. There is a reason the snes beat both the pce and genny.

Like I said, all three systems have their merits, and are equal in different ways.

SuperDeadite

Quote from: guest on 08/13/2013, 11:10 AMSuper Mario World, so much fun

These are some of the most popular games on the system. To say they suck is an insult. There is a reason the snes beat both the pce and genny.

Like I said, all three systems have their merits, and are equal in different ways.
Only game in that list that isn't a newer version of an older game is Yoshi Island.  And that game is just annoying as fuck.  If I wanted to babysit, I'd stop using condoms.

Gillian Seed

So do you write off Bomberman 93, Super Star Soldier, New Adventure Island, and Rondo of Blood because they had predecessors too?

SuperDeadite

Quote from: Gillian Seed on 08/13/2013, 11:30 AMSo do you write off Bomberman 93, Super Star Soldier, New Adventure Island, and Rondo of Blood because they had predecessors too?
This is the SNES HATE thread.  It's not about logical comparison, it's about how the SNES sucks and nothing more.  Deal with it!

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: SuperDeadite on 08/13/2013, 08:05 AM
Quote from: VenomMacbeth on 08/13/2013, 07:42 AM
Quote from: SuperDeadite on 08/13/2013, 07:04 AMOh, and VM, plz don't compare SNES with MIDI.  They sound nothing a like, absolutely nothing.
Have you played Darius Twin?  Sounds awful MIDI to me.
Do you even know what MIDI is?  MIDI is just digital sheet music that controls a synth.  To most people, MIDI = Windows GS Synth which is an awful cheaply made software synth.  MIDI itself has no meaning on sound quality, it's dependant on the synth or sound generator reading it.

For example, SSF2:
And some Castlevania MIDI:
Both of those are 100% MIDI.
Someone took the bait.

lol
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

PukeSter

Quote from: SuperDeadite on 08/13/2013, 11:42 AM
Quote from: Gillian Seed on 08/13/2013, 11:30 AMSo do you write off Bomberman 93, Super Star Soldier, New Adventure Island, and Rondo of Blood because they had predecessors too?
This is the SNES HATE thread.  It's not about logical comparison, it's about how the SNES sucks and nothing more.  Deal with it!
But your logic as to why the snes sucks doesnt make much sense. I can understand the whole mode 7 thing, but it wasnt used that much, and had nothing to the quality of the game itself.

Its fine if you do not like the snes. Heck, I am not a huge genny fan myself. But when you use biased opinions instead of facts and well formed opinions, thats not good.

SuperDeadite

Quote from: guest on 08/13/2013, 12:02 PM
Quote from: SuperDeadite on 08/13/2013, 11:42 AM
But your logic as to why the snes sucks doesnt make much sense. I can understand the whole mode 7 thing, but it wasnt used that much, and had nothing to the quality of the game itself.

Its fine if you do not like the snes. Heck, I am not a huge genny fan myself. But when you use biased opinions instead of facts and well formed opinions, thats not good.
LOGIC?  Dude this is FUCKING FIGHTING STREET ya fucking n00b!

Arkhan Asylum

This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

SuperDeadite

Quote from: guest on 08/13/2013, 12:21 PMSNES SUCKS

GATORADE IS BETTER
I could so go for a Gatorade right now.  But they don't sell it here. XD

Arkhan Asylum

That's because Japan has better ways to get erectrorytes.

like hentai.

HercTNT

Snes hates puppies.
Venom hates the Snes.
Therefore Venom hates puppies.

Quote from: guest on 08/13/2013, 12:24 PMThat's because Japan has better ways to get erectrorytes.

like hentai.
HAHAHAHAHAHAAHHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHH!

jperryss

Quote from: SuperDeadite on 08/13/2013, 11:24 AM
Quote from: guest on 08/13/2013, 11:10 AMSuper Mario World, so much fun

Only game in that list that isn't a newer version of an older game is Yoshi Island.  And that game is just annoying as fuck.  If I wanted to babysit, I'd stop using condoms.
When did a Super Metroid remake come out?

CrackTiger

Quote from: jperryss on 08/13/2013, 01:57 PM
Quote from: SuperDeadite on 08/13/2013, 11:24 AM
Quote from: PukeSter on 08/13/2013, 11:10 AMSuper Mario World, so much fun

Only game in that list that isn't a newer version of an older game is Yoshi Island.  And that game is just annoying as fuck.  If I wanted to babysit, I'd stop using condoms.
When did a Super Metroid remake come out?
That list is a response to the request for examples to support his claim of the SNES having some of the "most innovative games of all time".

There were two previous Metroid games that played the same. As SD said, the only game on that list which isn't a rehash or straight sequel is Yoshi's Island, which love it or hate it, isn't really up there on an unbiased list of "most innovative games of all time".

The SNES did create new gameplay experiences with Mode 7 and deserves credit for that, even though it was outdated and abandoned soon as the next generation began.

The "there's a reason the SNES kicked the other consoles butts!" comment shows that lukester equates popularity and commercial success to quality. So I wouldn't bother trying to reason with him further on what makes games good.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

JoshTurboTrollX

Quote from: guest on 08/13/2013, 01:18 AMAll the 8/16-bit systems get my love (with one obvious favorite) but I don't understand the snes hate around here.  F-Zero, Mario Kart, Final Fantasy II, Super Mario World, Link to the Past, Super Smash TV, and a ton of other great games instantly come to mind that I play regularly on my SNES.

I play my SNES far more than my Genny. 

I really don't get the hate.   :-k
That's pretty much my stance as well.  I've always liked all of the 4th generation of consoles but tend to lean more towards Turbo and SNES.  I came into the Genesis late in the wars and still don't really have much respect for it.  Outside of Sonic and sports games, there are few Sega games that did anything better than their SNES counterparts.  And if a game came out on both SNES/Gens, the SNES version usually blew it away (Lost Vikings, Flashback)

SNES > Genesis

With that being said, it was nice to see the SNES just stick to their one console and not add on silly things like CD units or 32X type doodads.  It was the SNES console and that's all you needed for the entire life of the console.  If you wanted Snatcher or Sonic CD, you had to buy a Sega CD add-on, if you wanted Chaotix you had to buy another add-on and needed space for 12 different AC adapters....  Sega was fucking around so much with their add ons and which technology would truly be 'Next Gen' that I honestly stopped paying attention to Sega until the Saturn came out.

Hudson/TTi/NEC knew which direction their tech was heading and started to support it when it was available to them.  HuCards!  Great way to play 16-bit carts!  CD-ROM!!  Holy shit the first every CD-based console!  Super CD!!  Wow, this looks as good as NEO GEO and sounds even better!!  You didn't feel like an idiot when you shelled out crazy amounts of money for crap that would be abandoned in less than 6 months with Turbo, you felt like the entire company was going in that direction and you needed the add ons or else you would really miss out.

Turbo > SNES > Genesis/SegaCD/32X
Jossshhhhh...Legendary TurboTrollX-16: He revenge-bans PCE Developers/Ys IV Localizers from PCE Facebook groups and destroyed 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Josh and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner (extortion/blackmail!), never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

VenomMacbeth

Quote from: SuperDeadite on 08/13/2013, 08:05 AMDo you even know what MIDI is?  MIDI is just digital sheet music that controls a synth.  To most people, MIDI = Windows GS Synth which is an awful cheaply made software synth.  MIDI itself has no meaning on sound quality, it's dependant on the synth or sound generator reading it.
Soooo if MIDI for most people is Windows GS Synth, then obviously you knew what the hell I meant.  I know damn well what MIDI is, but thanks anyway for the useless lecture.
THE TURBOGRAFX!!!!!!

NecroPhile

Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

Arkhan Asylum

I like all systems equally, except for N64.

That thing's for retards.

turbokon

Quote from: guest on 08/13/2013, 05:51 PMI like all systems equally, except for N64.

Same here, that and the Atari jaguar.
Turbo fan since 1991 after owning my first system.

Check out my website:)
www.tg16pcemods.com

turboswimbz

the snes is awesome.  it makes me jizz in my pants.  especially when they get all brown and poo like.  Plus the music of the SNES is pure bliss. 

SO many awesome games!

That's why I have em all VGA graded!

THe only time my snes caused me pain was that time I got my winkie stuck in the Cart. slot during a passionate night of game play.

SNES Klub For LyFe!
NW: Hey, I made it on this psycho's Enemies' List, how about that ?? ;)
BT: Look at how the fake SFII' carts instantly sold out and were immediately listed on eBay before the flippers even took possession. Look at Nintendo's overpriced bricks. Look at the typical forum discussions elsewhere. You can't tell most retro gamers anything!

MrFlutterPie

I have a big heart and as such I love all 16 bit era systems equally :)

The Genesis however has really surprised me of late.  There are some great games on that thing.

Gillian Seed

Quote from: guest on 08/13/2013, 05:51 PMI like all systems equally, except for N64.

Well then I guess I'm a retard. *shakes head*

I've never seen someone past the age of like 12 use this word so openly.

VenomMacbeth

I love my N64, even though it's been ran over by a truck.  It's just like every other Nintendo console barring the NES; most of the good games for it are Nintendo games.  :/

I'm also a little biased because the N64 was the very first game console I ever owned.  Lots of fond memories.
THE TURBOGRAFX!!!!!!

Gillian Seed

There were quite a few Hudson Soft games on the system too, that and the awesome Treasure games.

HercTNT

Quote from: Gillian Seed on 08/13/2013, 10:12 PM

Gillian, your taking it way to serious. This is fighting street, think about it :)

Gillian Seed

Forgive me. I'm new here and I also hate fighting :P

HercTNT

Maybe so, but thats kinda the point of fighting street. If you don't want any flak, you might not want to post in it. Anything you say here can and definatly will be used against you  :mrgreen:

Gillian Seed

I feel like such a god damn fool now. Sorry to Arkhan and everyone else for me being such a serious douche.

geise

Yeah the whole point of this section is to shit talk.  The sad thing though is a lot of it does get taken seriously by some and more often than not, rolls into other sections of the forum.  Then it all ends up back here.  :D  BTW Arkhan always talks like that regardless of where he is.  But that's why we love him.  Sometimes in a totally gay way (for me anyways).   O:)

HercTNT

Quote from: Gillian Seed on 08/14/2013, 02:18 AMI feel like such a god damn fool now. Sorry to Arkhan and everyone else for me being such a serious douche.
Dont feel like a fool. Put the gloves on and dive in, its fun :)

turboswimbz

NECPCECD2.jpg
IMG
OBEY!
NW: Hey, I made it on this psycho's Enemies' List, how about that ?? ;)
BT: Look at how the fake SFII' carts instantly sold out and were immediately listed on eBay before the flippers even took possession. Look at Nintendo's overpriced bricks. Look at the typical forum discussions elsewhere. You can't tell most retro gamers anything!

PukeSter

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: Gillian Seed on 08/13/2013, 10:12 PM
Quote from: Psycho Arkhan on 08/13/2013, 05:51 PMI like all systems equally, except for N64.

I'm running on candy and coca cola.  I use all the words.

Quote from: geise on 08/14/2013, 09:07 AMSometimes in a totally gay way (for me anyways).   O:)
I thought it was always in a totally gay way.

Jabberwok

Hummm.... what about the fact that : Nintendo targets kids in north America, the reason why the US SNES looks like a toy (purple, seriously?) compared to the Japanese/European console. Also they way they tried to avoid moving CD mechanisms for the longest time, and the fragile CD medium. They also have Pokemon, a popular child's toy thingy stuff... ish. So yeah, Nintendo is for little kids!

On the other hand, The Genesis was targeted at a (slightly) more mature audience, or rather their big brothers. That's why it had more sports games for a while...

Personally, between Mario & sports games I choose... The TurboDuo of course... what did you expect?