Fuck off Kick-starter!

Started by SuperDeadite, 11/17/2013, 09:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SuperDeadite

Sign here if you're like me and you've proudly never supported any kick-starter "projects."
Stronger Than Your Average Deadite

Tatsujin

www.pcedaisakusen.net - home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games countdown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

PunkCryborg

true dat. Yeah all of a sudden everything needs a damn kickstarter to be made. I just saw a kickstarter for Matt Pond PA HD and Boogerman HD. Are people really funding this stuff???

RoyVegas

The only thing I've ever kickstarted is a dirtbike.
All is well. :)

Tatsujin

when even like molyneux game moglus have to kickfark some new games, then you know that something is going really wrong.
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

420GOAT

kickstart your ass! really, what happened to raising funds the old fashioned way? new day i guess.
I want to be more like 337.

The Wolf: If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the fucking car.

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: SuperDeadite on 11/17/2013, 09:33 PMSign here if you're like me and you've proudly never supported any kick-starter "projects."
What's encompassed in "projects"?

Is that "everything on Kickstarter", or just certain things that you think don't count?

I've backed stuff.  Wasteland 2, the new Lord British game, River City Ransom 2, Mighty No. 9., Relic Knights, Torn World...

As long as the project looks like it needs funding to get somewhere, and the goals/prices are within reason, I don't see the big deal.

Quote from: 420GOAT on 11/18/2013, 12:50 AMwhat happened to raising funds the old fashioned way? new day i guess.
You mean, going to a big name publisher and letting them ruin the game in the process?

see: EA

???
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

SuperDeadite

I mean everything of course.
Stronger Than Your Average Deadite

TheClash603

The good thing about Kickstarter is that enough people fall into the funding trap, so I can benefit from their funding.

The "Free Rider Problem" isn't a problem for me.

bob

I have never backed anything, and frankly i dont think i have spent more than 5 mins on the site.
But, i dont see a problem with it being an alternate source of funding.
Whats the beef?

NecroPhile

I've never backed anything, but I would if there was something I really cared about.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

jeffhlewis

I have no beef with it - I've backed plenty and gotten what was promised in almost every case. Some items get delayed, which is something you factor in from the get-go.

It's got its issues for sure and there are definitely projects that generate obnoxious amounts of cash beyond what is necessary...but if people are willing to pay...

420GOAT

I GUESS IM JUST TRIPPING, when i wanted to venture into making 69-79 vw bus dashes, i had to raise money from my father in law, i pitched it, gave him a plan, and time frame when to pay back. just seems too easy for folks to solicit on the net without having to face anyone. but i guess im old fashioned at times, and have issues with the Brave new world.
I want to be more like 337.

The Wolf: If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the fucking car.

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: 420GOAT on 11/18/2013, 12:14 PMI GUESS IM JUST TRIPPING, when i wanted to venture into making 69-79 vw bus dashes, i had to raise money from my father in law, i pitched it, gave him a plan, and time frame when to pay back. just seems too easy for folks to solicit on the net without having to face anyone. but i guess im old fashioned at times, and have issues with the Brave new world.
These are significantly different times, and most of the reason for kickstarter is for independent people to get funding for something that may never happen otherwise.

Sure, you'll get fucktards like Captain Doublefine who blow all the money and still don't finish it...

but then you have people like Brian Fargo/Wasteland 2 team that are doing an excellent job, and proved a very solid point with their successful funding campaign.

I don't see the reason for blindly going HURRRR FUCK KICKSTARTER.

Some people need the funding.   I'd rather have it this way than have EA get their hands all over a game again.

and without this, we'd likely never see a River City Ransom sequel.  So...

This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

bob

Simple question, but if you pledge and the project goes nowhere, is that it?  You are out the money with no recourse?
Whats the checks and balances system (if any)?  How is this not a scammers haven?
(Or is it?)

Arkhan Asylum

youre fucked, basically.

Nando

Haven't pledge to any yet, but I think it's a great alternative or at least another avenue for game makers and their niche audience to see what they like, get created.

Mighty Number 9 and Mercenary Kings being two great examples.

Xak

I;ve proudly never gave a dime, and proudly own many of their games :)
Im a real life Sadler, just take me to the nearest item shop.

I have aspergers, and am a recovering Tonicholic

Arkhan Asylum

You proudly own many games that all have not even been released yet.

Tatsujin

Quote from: Xak on 11/18/2013, 06:29 PMI;ve proudly never gave a dime, and proudly own many of their games :)
Why do you always have to come up with some BS stories? and then get all retarded mad about everyone in here picking on you?

So show us, what "of the many released games" did you get so far?

futureman2000

HURRRR FUCK KICKSTARTER.

Joe Redifer

My problem with certain Kickstarter and Indiegogo projects are their reward tiers. For example, some games have tiers where if you pay enough, your likeness is somehow wedged into the game. NO! Or even help design a challenge. NO! Or have your voice in the credit song and you can say whatever you want. NO! Or name a Boss. NO! Or design an enemy. NO! Contributors should not be allowed to influence the game in any way whatsoever. The ONLY acceptable impact they should be able to have on the game is a special thanks in the ending credits. THAT'S IT.  Fuck Mighty Number 9. I am PROUD to not have funded that piece of god damn shit. I hope that game gets AIDS. I know games can't get AIDS but this one should.

In my perfect opinion, reward tiers should be:
1) - Copy of game MAILED TO YOUR HOUSE should we actually get around to making it after it's funded.
2) - Copy of game plus sweet-ass soundtrack CD
3) - Copy of game, sweet ass soundtrack and poster artwork of box art.
4) - Copy of game autographed by people who made it, CD and DVD of designers douching around their house. Oh and poster of artwork.
5) - Autographed copy of game, autographed CD, autographed poster, autographed DVD PLUS TRIP TO HAVE DINNER WITH THE DESIGNERS (you pay airfare, hotel accommodations and dinner).
6) - You design and program the game for us! You have the ultimate influence! Design every character. Name every boss. This is the ultimate tier! We will sit next to you as you work unless we get hungry or bored (which will be often).

Nando

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 11/19/2013, 02:53 AMIn my perfect opinion, reward tiers should be:
1) - Copy of game MAILED TO YOUR HOUSE should we actually get around to making it after it's funded.
2) - Copy of game plus sweet-ass soundtrack CD
3) - Copy of game, sweet ass soundtrack and poster artwork of box art.
4) - Copy of game autographed by people who made it, CD and DVD of designers douching around their house. Oh and poster of artwork.
5) - Autographed copy of game, autographed CD, autographed poster, autographed DVD PLUS TRIP TO HAVE DINNER WITH THE DESIGNERS (you pay airfare, hotel accommodations and dinner).
6) - You design and program the game for us! You have the ultimate influence! Design every character. Name every boss. This is the ultimate tier! We will sit next to you as you work unless we get hungry or bored (which will be often).
IMG

Joe Redifer

geise

I don't mind people looking for backers rather than putting up their mortgage to pay off a loan.  I also am backing River City Ransom 2.  No way in hell it would see the light of day with out people like us to help them out.  You get your money back if it falls through and doesn't meet their quota.  I do agree that it is getting a tad out of hand, but you don't have to back it if you don't want to.  I don't see what the huge hate is?

VestCunt

This thread's retarded.

Kickstarter is like everything on the internet: it's annoyingly trendy, half of it's a scam, and most of it sucks, but sometimes people do cool stuff. I've supported a P&P RPG and a friend's record, both came out fine. If Deadite can't separate the wheat from the chaff, that's his problem.
Topic Adjourned.