RIP to BT Garner of MindRec.com... He passed away early 2023 from health problems. BT was one of the top PCE homebrew developers and founder of the OG Turbo List, then PCECP.com. Condolences to family and friends.
IMG
IMG
Main Menu

Protos, homebrew and demos

Started by Joe Redifer, 11/24/2013, 04:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe Redifer

So on the 22nd of December we'll be doing a Game Sack episode dedicated to homebrew with some time for demos and hacks (but only REALLY GOOD hacks). 2 weeks later we'll be doing an episode dedicated to prototypes that were never released. I have some stuff for the Turbo/PCE but I want to make sure I have the BEST stuff (gotta be runnable on an Everdrive).

What should I have?

CrackTiger

Chris Covell's Tongueman's Logic, Axelay demo and Factal Engine (2).

Tom's Gate of Thunderforce and NES conversions.

Implode, Meteor Blaster DX, Insanity, Mysterious Song, Pyramid Plunder, Revial Chase.

That Lunar SSS audio clip sound demo.

Ys IV full English translation.

Dracula X full English translation.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

Joe Redifer

QuoteImplode, Meteor Blaster DX, Insanity, Mysterious Song, Pyramid Plunder, Revial Chase.
I consider these unlicensed games. They have transcended the homebrew status once they are released and people buy them.

Was Dracula X translated, voices and all?

CrackTiger

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 11/24/2013, 05:06 PM
QuoteImplode, Meteor Blaster DX, Insanity, Mysterious Song, Pyramid Plunder, Revial Chase.
I consider these unlicensed games. They have transcended the homebrew status once they are released and people buy them.

Was Dracula X translated, voices and all?
Yes:

https://www.pcengine-fx.com/forums/index.php?topic=10588.0
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

esteban

I know you probably don't have access, but:

Off the Wall (Tengen, unreleased) — June 2005 is when I grabbed those images from eBay (there was a video, too, but I can't find it now).

I know folks may scoff at it, because it is (1) puzzle game and therefore (2) not a graphics powerhouse with sex and violence.

However, it was a unique (to me) title that had potential.

PURE DREAMLAND:

TV Sports Baseball (didn't someone here claim to have EPROM that was sent out to magazine reviewers?)

Marble Madness (I'm not sure how legit this is, but the dude had credibility since he owned and released unreleased prototypes several times).

Etc. etc.
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

SamIAm

If you've got a Virtual Boy and can get a Flashboy cart, the unreleased game Bound High is maybe the best title on the system. It's 100% finished, and it takes better advantage of the Virtual Boy's 3D capability than just about any other game.

Bound High! Review (good review)
Virtual Boy Longplay [21] Bound High! (Beta) (3D) (longplay)

I wouldn't recommend just emulating it, though.

Arjak

If you plan on covering systems besides the Turbo (just a thought), here's some picks (all are available on romhacking.net):

-NES-

Adventure Island 4 (Translation) - The Adventure Island sequel that never made it to America, which funnily enough, takes a page from the Wonderboy sequels.

Battle Kid (Homebrew) - In my opinion, the best homebrew on the NES, and from what I've played, the only one that feels like a legit game for the system.

Castlevania: Chorus of Mysteries (Castlevania 1 Hack) - One of the better Castlevania 1 hacks. It actually feels like a brand new game once you get past the first level.

Downtown Special (Translation) - River City Ransom's sequel that was never released overseas!

Extra Mario Bros. (SMB1 Hack) - Super Mario Bros 1 meets Metroid. Seriously.

Fire Emblem 1 (Translation) - It is what it says...

Mario Adventure (SMB3 Hack) - This is often considered the best hack of Super Mario Bros. 3.

The Portopia Serial Murder Case (Translation) - The famous (in Japan) adventure game made by Yuji Horii, before he made the even more famous (worldwide) Dragon Quest.

Silva Saga (Translation) - An RPG that's supposed to be pretty good.

Sweet Home (Translation) - A Survival Horror/RPG by Capcom that was the inspiration for Resident Evil.

Zelda Challenge: Outlands (Zelda 1 Hack) - One of the better Zelda 1 hacks, but very difficult.

-SNES-

Oh No! More Zombies Ate my Neighbors! (ZAMN Hack) - A well done fan-made semi-sequel to ZAMN.

Shin Megami Tensei (Translation) - A very sweet RPG where you recruit demons to join your party. Contains multiple endings. BE ABSOLUTELY SURE that you play the bug-fixed version.

Shodai Nekketsu Kouha Kunio-kun (Translation) - Another sequel to River City Ransom that was never released overseas.

Starfox 2 (Translation) - The rumors are true!

-Genesis-

Gleylancer (Translation) - A shooter! With a STORY!

Langrisser 2 (Translation) - A Strategy RPG. The first in the series was released here as Warsong.

Sonic 1 Megamix (Sonic 1 Hack) - This is supposed to be quite excellent.

Streets of Rage 3 (Translation) - A translation of the Japanese version. Includes story and difficulty balancing that was cut out of the American version.
He who dings the Gunhed must PAAAAY!!! -Ninja Spirit

Arkhan Asylum

So wait, homebrews that got physical releases are off limits?

REFLECTRON, GO GO GO
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

DragonmasterDan

Quote from: SamIAm on 11/24/2013, 07:01 PMIf you've got a Virtual Boy and can get a Flashboy cart, the unreleased game Bound High is maybe the best title on the system. It's 100% finished, and it takes better advantage of the Virtual Boy's 3D capability than just about any other game.

Bound High! Review (good review)
Virtual Boy Longplay [21] Bound High! (Beta) (3D) (longplay)

I wouldn't recommend just emulating it, though.
Agreed on Bound High. It's my favorite Virtual Boy game as well.
--DragonmasterDan

Arjak

I forgot a good one! There's a great port of Wolfenstein 3D being made for the Sega 32X. A beta, featuring the first episode, is downloadable from the Sega-16 forums. If you are a fan of this game, this port is definitely worth checking out.
He who dings the Gunhed must PAAAAY!!! -Ninja Spirit

Mishran

Quote from: guest on 11/25/2013, 02:30 PMDon't forget about the Riot Zone prototype w/ voice acting that was recently discovered.
That can't seriously be real... Sounds like a bad attempt at a PeeWee Herman with down syndrome voice acting. Laughable at best. Should have used the fella who did Guy's voice in Last Alert.

CrackTiger

There's Columns for Neo Geo.

That sequel to Chrono Trigger for SNES.

Translated Phantasy Star and Shining Force games for Game Gear.

VenomMacbeth

Quote from: Arjak on 11/24/2013, 07:49 PMI forgot a good one! There's a great port of Wolfenstein 3D being made for the Sega 32X. A beta, featuring the first episode, is downloadable from the Sega-16 forums. If you are a fan of this game, this port is definitely worth checking out.
If this is not mentioned in the upcoming episode, I'm boycotting Game Sack. :lol:  Srsly, respect is due.
Quote from: Gogan on 08/01/2013, 09:54 AMPlay Turbografx.
Play the Turbografx. PLAY
THE TURBOGRAFX!!!!!!

Buh buh buh, I have almost all teh games evar.  I R TEH BESTEST COLLECTR!!

Xak

If that Riot Zone is real I like it.
Im a real life Sadler, just take me to the nearest item shop.

I have aspergers, and am a recovering Tonicholic

esadajr

Quote from: Arjak on 11/24/2013, 07:16 PM-Genesis-

Sonic 1 Megamix (Sonic 1 Hack) - This is supposed to be quite excellent.
Don't forget Sonic Megamix on the Sega CD. That game is (censored) awesome.
Gaming since 1985

Joe Redifer

Quote from: guest on 11/24/2013, 07:39 PMSo wait, homebrews that got physical releases are off limits?
I changed my mind on this, but I only have a few.

I keep hearing mention of a Mega Man CD version with CD music. Where does one find this? My Google-fu leads o the game only (no CD music). I have the ROM which has the NES music on it which plays on a flash card.

I'm not a big fan of hacks unless they're translation hacks. Stuff like Sonic Megamix just don't interest me but I'll mention it briefly. I played it and was bored out of my skull.

CrackTiger

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 12/02/2013, 11:30 PM
Quote from: Psycho Arkhan on 11/24/2013, 07:39 PMSo wait, homebrews that got physical releases are off limits?
I changed my mind on this, but I only have a few.

I keep hearing mention of a Mega Man CD version with CD music. Where does one find this? My Google-fu leads o the game only (no CD music). I have the ROM which has the NES music on it which plays on a flash card.

I'm not a big fan of hacks unless they're translation hacks. Stuff like Sonic Megamix just don't interest me but I'll mention it briefly. I played it and was bored out of my skull.
Tom took it down after everanime began selling it.

Joe Redifer

Oh geez. Way too many unscrupulous people out there.