@GTV reviews the Cosmic Fantasy 1-2 Switch collection by Edia, provides examples of the poor English editing/localization work. It's much worse for CF1. Rated "D" for disappointment, finding that TurboGrafx CF2 is better & while CF1's the real draw, Edia screwed it up...
Main Menu

Best 16-bit Console

Started by PukeSter, 09/08/2014, 05:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Favorite 16-bit Console? Includes peripherals for each system

PC Engine
52 (65.8%)
SNES
30 (38%)
Neo Geo
9 (11.4%)
Genesis
19 (24.1%)

Total Members Voted: 79

DragonmasterDan

Quote from: guest on 09/09/2014, 01:15 PMI just tell myself that they are all opinions and not based in fact and the poll is okay.  I personally think the Genesis is better than the SNES for many many things despite the color limitations.  The fact Sega didn't have to essentially add new hardware to the carts themselves like the SNES and still got comparable results is pretty telling to me. 
I go the other way for a few reasons.

First off among exclusive (for the generation games) there aren't a whole lot of Genesis cartridge games I define as great. Warsong, Phantasy Star II and IV, Streets of Rage II, Castlevania Bloodlines, Sonic 1-3, The Genesis version of Aladdin and El Viento.

When I compare that to the huge slew of games exclusive to the SNES for that generation I consider to be great Mario World, Yoshi's Island, Zelda 3, Super Metroid, Final Fantasy II, Final Fantasy III, Chrono Trigger, Earthbound, Super Mario Kart, Mega Man X, Kirby Super Star, Super Castlevania IV, TMNT Turtles in Time, Contra 3.

Generally though not universally I've found that games available for both platforms wound up being a little better on the SNES. There are some exceptions but more often than not that's the case.
--DragonmasterDan

esteban

Quote from: DragonmasterDan on 09/12/2014, 08:18 AM
Quote from: guest on 09/09/2014, 01:15 PMI just tell myself that they are all opinions and not based in fact and the poll is okay.  I personally think the Genesis is better than the SNES for many many things despite the color limitations.  The fact Sega didn't have to essentially add new hardware to the carts themselves like the SNES and still got comparable results is pretty telling to me. 
I go the other way for a few reasons.

First off among exclusive (for the generation games) there aren't a whole lot of Genesis cartridge games I define as great. Warsong, Phantasy Star II and IV, Streets of Rage II, Castlevania Bloodlines, Sonic 1-3, The Genesis version of Aladdin and El Viento.

When I compare that to the huge slew of games exclusive to the SNES for that generation I consider to be great Mario World, Yoshi's Island, Zelda 3, Super Metroid, Final Fantasy II, Final Fantasy III, Chrono Trigger, Earthbound, Super Mario Kart, Mega Man X, Kirby Super Star, Super Castlevania IV, TMNT Turtles in Time, Contra 3.

Generally though not universally I've found that games available for both platforms wound up being a little better on the SNES. There are some exceptions but more often than not that's the case.
I never understood the anti-SNES/SFC sentiment. Folks who follow this path are denying themselves a wealth of amazing games.

The MegaDrive/Genesis library has exceptional games in every genre, this is its strength, IMHO.

I feel that the SNES/SFC, however, still holds it's own against MD/Gen for the reasons you stated (exclusives, slightly better versions of multi platform games). Of course, Genesis fans are going to get defensive and start hollering that Bloodlines and Hard Corps and Rocket Knight and __________ offer the superior experience...let's cede this point (though it is debatable). There are still plenty of fantastic SNES/SFC games from Konami (Parodius, Sunset Riders, etc.) and other developers to counteract this alleged deficit.

DEAR GOD, I WILL NOT GIVE UP EITHER SNES OR GENNY.
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

Marll

PC Engine/Turbo hands down!
Rabid Turbo fan since 1989!
Happy F@ck eBay member since 2010

thesteve

neo is 24bit
SNES, not sure
GENI is 16bit, but unimpressive in most games
PCE is 8+16 but makes the geni look bad
note the NES was 8+8

JoshTurboTrollX

The PCE is my all time favorite, but SuperNES is still well ahead of Feka Genesis.
Jossshhhhh...Legendary TurboTrollX-16: He revenge-bans PCE Developers/Ys IV Localizers from PCE Facebook groups and destroyed 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Josh and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner (extortion!), never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

EvilEvoIX

Quote from: thesteve on 10/29/2014, 12:14 AMneo is 24bit
SNES, not sure
GENI is 16bit, but unimpressive in most games
PCE is 8+16 but makes the geni look bad
note the NES was 8+8
If the Neo was 24 Bit so was the Sega Genesis (Which had VERY impressive Games Graphically)
SNES was a very slow 16-Bit Machine
PCE was 8-Bit but faster than a SNES
Nes was 8-bit.
IMGIMGIMG
Quote from: PCEngineHellI already dropped him a message on there and he did not reply back, so fuck him, and his cunt wife.

esadajr

the question should have been, what is your favorite 4th gen console? (and why?)
Gaming since 1985

NecroPhile

Quote from: EvilEvoIX on 10/29/2014, 03:59 PMIf the Neo was 24 Bit so was the Sega Genesis (Which had VERY few impressive Games Graphically)
SNES was a very slow 16-Bit Machine
PCE was 8-Bit but faster than a SNES
Nes was 8-bit.
Fixed.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

Gentlegamer

I voted SNES and Genesis. There was no option for Intellivision.
IMG
Quote from: VenomMacbeth on 10/25/2015, 02:35 PMGentle with games, rough with collectards.  Riders gon riiiiide.

esteban

I stand by my earlier comment:

XaviX was the 16-bit Wii

NecroPhile

Quote from: esteban on 10/29/2014, 06:02 PMI stand by my earlier comment:

XaviX was the 16-bit Wii
8-bit too, as some games had 6502s and other games have 65816s.

cjameslv

I voted Obey! But no sega saturn sad day :(

VenomMacbeth

How can any one be the best?  All have advantages & disadvantages over eachother in both hardware and software.

Oh, also...

Quote from: guest on 10/29/2014, 05:20 PM...Sega Genesis...had VERY few impressive Games Graphically
You...you're joking right? I'm about to be that guy.

We've got:
Alien Soldier
Ranger-X
Red Zone
Gunstar Heroes
Thunder Force IV
Mega Turrican
Shinobi III
Bio Hazard Battle
Virtua Racing
Street Racer
Contra: Hard Corps
Zero Tolerance (plays better than any other unassisted-16-bit FPS)
Duke Nukem 3D
Earthworm Jim (two of em)
Yu-Yu Hakusho Makyou Toitsusen
Castlevania Bloodlines
Star Cruiser
Beyond Oasis
Skitchin'

Maybe even more.  If you care to make a similar list for the other two systems, then be my guest.

Also, I've decided that anyone who says the Genesis has shitty sound & advocates for the other systems is an stoopid head.  Sure some Genesis games sound like Casio farts, but others sound like arcade perfection.  Some SNES games sound like redbook audio...others sound like really low-quality MIDIs, which can also occasionally be likened to the unmistakable sound of flatulence.  The PCE in the wrong hands produces shrill, master system style PSG tones that have no place on 16-bit hardware & honestly, rarely sufficed on 8-bit IMHO.

And I'm done.  Sorry I'm an insufferable fanboy, but I'm more than willing to be proven wrong.
Quote from: Gogan on 08/01/2013, 09:54 AMPlay Turbografx.
Play the Turbografx. PLAY
THE TURBOGRAFX!!!!!!

Buh buh buh, I have almost all teh games evar.  I R TEH BESTEST COLLECTR!!

nectarsis

My Blogger profile with all my blogs of wonderment:
blogger.com/profile/08066967226239965436

NecroPhile

Quote from: VenomMacbeth on 10/30/2014, 11:18 AMYou...you're joking right?
Look at who I was responding to and you'll have your answer.

VenomMacbeth

THE TURBOGRAFX!!!!!!

CrackTiger

Quote from: VenomMacbeth on 10/30/2014, 11:18 AMHow can any one be the best?  All have advantages & disadvantages over eachother in both hardware and software.

Oh, also...

Quote from: NecroPhile on 10/29/2014, 05:20 PM...Sega Genesis...had VERY few impressive Games Graphically
You...you're joking right? I'm about to be that guy.

We've got:
Alien Soldier
Ranger-X
Red Zone
Gunstar Heroes
Thunder Force IV
Mega Turrican
Shinobi III
Bio Hazard Battle
Virtua Racing
Street Racer
Contra: Hard Corps
Zero Tolerance (plays better than any other unassisted-16-bit FPS)
Duke Nukem 3D
Earthworm Jim (two of em)
Yu-Yu Hakusho Makyou Toitsusen
Castlevania Bloodlines
Star Cruiser
Beyond Oasis
Skitchin'

Maybe even more.  If you care to make a similar list for the other two systems, then be my guest.

Also, I've decided that anyone who says the Genesis has shitty sound & advocates for the other systems is an stoopid head. Sure some Genesis games sound like Casio farts, but others sound like arcade perfection.  Some SNES games sound like redbook audio...others sound like really low-quality MIDIs, which can also occasionally be likened to the unmistakable sound of flatulence.  The PCE in the wrong hands produces shrill, master system style PSG tones that have no place on 16-bit hardware & honestly, rarely sufficed on 8-bit IMHO.

And I'm done.  Sorry I'm an insufferable fanboy, but I'm more than willing to be proven wrong.
As an insufferable fanboy, I'll point out that you just proved yourself wrong one way or the other and that you are "an stoopid head."
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

VenomMacbeth

You did notice I said "in the wrong hands", yes?  In good hands, the PCE sings almost as well, if not better than the genesis or SNES.  As for my PSG comment, I'm just not a huge fan of the Ti chip sound on its own.  I find the NES' sound hashing more variability & potential.
THE TURBOGRAFX!!!!!!

esteban

Quote from: VenomMacbeth on 10/30/2014, 05:19 PMYou did notice I said "in the wrong hands", yes?  In good hands, the PCE sings almost as well, if not better than the genesis or SNES.  As for my PSG comment, I'm just not a huge fan of the Ti chip sound on its own.  I find the NES' sound hashing more variability & potential.
Skitchin' is not worthy of sucking my left one.

Refrain from ever mentioning that shite again.

The same goes for the rest of the crappagio from FEKA.

THAT'S CORRECT, MY HATRED OF FEKA HAS FORCED ME TO DESPISE THE PCE PORTS OF SEGA  GAMES.

Also, suck it.

EvilEvoIX

Quote from: esteban on 10/30/2014, 09:52 PM
Quote from: VenomMacbeth on 10/30/2014, 05:19 PMYou did notice I said "in the wrong hands", yes?  In good hands, the PCE sings almost as well, if not better than the genesis or SNES.  As for my PSG comment, I'm just not a huge fan of the Ti chip sound on its own.  I find the NES' sound hashing more variability & potential.
Skitchin' is not worthy of sucking my left one.

Refrain from ever mentioning that shite again.

The same goes for the rest of the crappagio from FEKA.

THAT'S CORRECT, MY HATRED OF FEKA HAS FORCED ME TO DESPISE THE PCE PORTS OF SEGA  GAMES.

Also, suck it.
I am a big fan of Skitch'n.  Fun game but yeah not the best of it's Genre.
IMGIMGIMG
Quote from: PCEngineHellI already dropped him a message on there and he did not reply back, so fuck him, and his cunt wife.

VenomMacbeth

I mentioned it because we were talking about graphically impressive games.  Oh, I also forgot to mention Domark's F1 game.
THE TURBOGRAFX!!!!!!

esteban

Venom, you know I'm just teasing you about Genesis/MD. I love that console. IMG

VenomMacbeth

Of course!  I was tempted to throw back some unfounded shade about the PCE...but it's just too good!  I couldn't think of anything! ._.
THE TURBOGRAFX!!!!!!

rcantor77

I just voted for PCE (Obviously) and the Neo... which I was very disappointed to see was in last place.

The thing was a home arcade system, no dodgy ports... the supreme quality of the games on the system wipes the floor with most of the SFC and MD games. But don't get me wrong, I love both of those systems too and tbh, it is hard to say out of the four which one is best.

Next time, can someone put a vote up for which generation is best as that is easy... 4th. Poll over.
PC-Engine.co.uk - definitive hardware listing for all PC Engine and Turbo Grafx systems.

EvilEvoIX

On this list it's the Genesis by a Mile, or at least it should be.  The Cost, Availability, and quality of the Library makes it so.
IMGIMGIMG

EvilEvoIX

Quote from: guest on 11/04/2014, 09:00 AM
Quote from: EvilEvoIX on 09/11/2014, 08:46 PMIn terms of value it's the Sega Genesis by a mile.  You can get a system for $10, "A" list games for $5, and they are almost all pretty common and have their cases.  All the other systems get stupid expensive, the Genesis by far the best bang for the buck.
Quote from: EvilEvoIX on 11/04/2014, 08:10 AMOn this list it's the Genesis by a Mile, or at least it should be.  The Cost, Availability, and quality of the Library makes it so.
No way. 3/4 of a mile in terms of value. 1/2 mile in terms of wing. :lol:
It's nice to be on someone's mind, someone always thinking of me, just floating around in someones head for no particular reason.

That said I stand by my comments, based on Price Alone the Genesis owns.
IMGIMGIMG

CGQuarterly

I voted SNES and Genesis because they are the only two 16-bit consoles on that list.

EvilEvoIX

Quote from: CGQuarterly on 11/07/2014, 01:40 PMI voted SNES and Genesis because they are the only two 16-bit consoles on that list.
Here in the states?  Sure they owned for almost a decade.  NEO ruled the arcades at that time as well.  Japan REALLY loved the PCE and really had a good run over there and it took the SNES a REAL long time to catch up.  If the states had proper marketing and could compete fairly with the draconian Nintendo system at the time we might have had a different winner in the states.
IMGIMGIMG

VenomMacbeth

Quote from: EvilEvoIX on 11/07/2014, 02:58 PM
Quote from: CGQuarterly on 11/07/2014, 01:40 PMI voted SNES and Genesis because they are the only two 16-bit consoles on that list.
Here in the states?  Sure they owned for almost a decade.  NEO ruled the arcades at that time as well.  Japan REALLY loved the PCE and really had a good run over there and it took the SNES a REAL long time to catch up.  If the states had proper marketing and could compete fairly with the draconian Nintendo system at the time we might have had a different winner in the states.
I think his point was that neither the PCE or Neo are 16-bit consoles, Eve.
THE TURBOGRAFX!!!!!!

turboswimbz

S....N....E....S ??  :-k
Genie ies?   :-k

Never heard of them.   :roll:

now this PC Engine, I took the PC engine to town once.  if you know what I'm saying.  :wink:

anyway you should probably all obey some after using such words as SNES and Genny, before the gods reign punishment upon you.  :shock:
NW: Hey, I made it on this psycho's Enemies' List, how about that ?? ;)
BT: Look at how the fake SFII' carts instantly sold out and were immediately listed on eBay before the flippers even took possession. Look at Nintendo's overpriced bricks. Look at the typical forum discussions elsewhere. You can't tell most retro gamers anything!

EvilEvoIX

Quote from: guestGenesis is as good as you can get
I agree, thank you for sharing.  Especially based upon the price  I mean you can get a Model 2 for like $10 and a copy of Sonic for a $1.  Most of the library is well under $100 so yeah, Genesis wins by a mile.

Quote from: guestIf you'll excuse me, I have some buck angel bids to get back to.
Yeah Bucks a stud, happy fapping.
IMGIMGIMG

WoodyXP

"I bathe in AES carts."

CGQuarterly

Quote from: VenomMacbeth on 11/07/2014, 06:35 PM
Quote from: EvilEvoIX on 11/07/2014, 02:58 PM
I think his point was that neither the PCE or Neo are 16-bit consoles, Eve.
Correct.  One could make an argument for the TG16/PCE being on that list, but not the Neo-Geo.  In my opinion, of course.

I never understand the point of threads like this.  I can see why people would be talking about this stuff back in the day when we were kids, and you were probably only going to own one console per generation thus making it a huge decision to pick one.  But I would say that most people here (not all, but most) have at least 3 of the 4 consoles on that list.  So what's the point of trying to decide which one is best?  In my opinion, they are all ESSENTIAL parts of my gaming library.

CrackTiger

Quote from: CGQuarterly on 11/09/2014, 01:27 PMCorrect.  One could make an argument for the TG16/PCE being on that list, but not the Neo-Geo.  In my opinion, of course.

I never understand the point of threads like this.  I can see why people would be talking about this stuff back in the day when we were kids, and you were probably only going to own one console per generation thus making it a huge decision to pick one.  But I would say that most people here (not all, but most) have at least 3 of the 4 consoles on that list.  So what's the point of trying to decide which one is best?  In my opinion, they are all ESSENTIAL parts of my gaming library.
Typical Sega fanboy. You just can't accept that the reason Nintendo is still in business is because they make the best games. Second place is the first loser. "Also good" is the excuse of losers who won't admit that they know their console's games can't compete. :roll:
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

CGQuarterly

Quote from: guest on 11/09/2014, 02:12 PM
Quote from: CGQuarterly on 11/09/2014, 01:27 PMCorrect.  One could make an argument for the TG16/PCE being on that list, but not the Neo-Geo.  In my opinion, of course.

Typical Sega fanboy. You just can't accept that the reason Nintendo is still in business is because they make the best games. Second place is the first loser. "Also good" is the excuse of losers who won't admit that they know their console's games can't compete. :roll:
Ok.

VenomMacbeth

Quote from: guest on 11/09/2014, 02:12 PMTypical Sega fanboy. You just can't accept that the reason Nintendo is still in business is because they make the best games. Second place is the first loser. "Also good" is the excuse of losers who won't admit that they know their console's games can't compete. :roll:
I sincerely hope you're joking...unless you're actually trying to make an ass of yourself.
THE TURBOGRAFX!!!!!!

CrackTiger

Quote from: VenomMacbeth on 11/09/2014, 04:59 PM
Quote from: CrackTiger on 11/09/2014, 02:12 PMTypical Sega fanboy. You just can't accept that the reason Nintendo is still in business is because they make the best games. Second place is the first loser. "Also good" is the excuse of losers who won't admit that they know their console's games can't compete. :roll:
I sincerely hope you're joking...unless you're actually trying to make an ass of yourself.
Yes, I seriously hate Sega (despite my previous posting history) and spout the same cliches that get tossed around each time these discussions come up on NeoGaf, Nintendoage, youtube, etc, because I honestly believe them to be the truth. Hail Nintendo. [sarcasm emoticon]

You don't seriously think that SNES sounds like redbook do you?

Psycho Punch

It sounds like redbook? It depends, if it is early 90's CD redbook like many CDROM² titles for the PCE then yes. But even the mightiest synthesizer chips have their limitations.
This Toxic Turbo Turd/Troll & Clone Warrior calls himself "Burning Fight!!" on Neo-Geo.com
For a good time, reach out to: aleffrenan94@gmail.com or punchballmariobros@gmail.com
Like DildoKobold, dildos are provided free of charge, no need to bring your own! :lol:
He also ran scripts to steal/clone this forum which blew up the error logs! I had to delete THOUSANDS of errors cause of this nutcase!
how_to_spell_ys_sign_origin_ver.webp

PukeSter

Quote from: Psycho Punch on 11/09/2014, 05:37 PMIt depends, if it is early 90's CD redbook like many CDROM² titles for the PCE then yes.
What? No.