@GTV reviews the Cosmic Fantasy 1-2 Switch collection by Edia, provides examples of the poor English editing/localization work. It's much worse for CF1. Rated "D" for disappointment, finding that TurboGrafx CF2 is better & while CF1's the real draw, Edia screwed it up...
Main Menu

Neutopia III Homebrew?

Started by Nighttrate, 02/15/2015, 09:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nighttrate

Whatever happened to the Neutopia III homebrew that The Frozen guys were working on?

Nighttrate

Why didn't they press it themselfs then? That would avoid all that & if they got problem with keeping a profit from it donate the funds to a worthy charity

bob

Quote from: guest on 02/15/2015, 10:08 AMThey abandoned it becase they didn't want to see CD-R profiteers make "repros" of it with fancy printed labels.

sad, really.
Haha. I remember some moron on ebay doing blank cd's with printed artwork of expensive games.  I dont know where people come up with these stupid ideas.  I can just see somebody buying one, burning the image and re-selling it to some unsuspecting idiot. Fools fool fools, i guess, but anybody even printing then selling the blanks really is scum of the earth.

bob

Quote from: guest on 02/15/2015, 11:10 AMThey probably just can't afford the legal fees to go after the scumbags who would profit by pirating a wholly original work made by a fellow enthusiast. Some people just have no sense of right and wrong. Makes me ashamed to be a human.

what would rock is if the cd-r profiteers would grow some fucking brains and make their own games to burn to disc and sell. But, such an edeavour is beyond their intellectual capacity. I figure that is why they have to go around stealing other people's work.

what is even sadder is that photo shop seems to be beyond some people's ability, so there will always be willing customers to feed these warts on the genitals of the homebrew/hacking scene.
Im going to pay $15 for a sega cd snatcher disc print, then burn the St Elmos Fire soundtrack to it. Such rare, teh epic.

ParanoiaDragon

I don't know how to explain it, other than we really just didn't want Hudson/Konami on our backs, as we would want to do a pressed version of said game.  I know there's more to it than that, but, I just don't remember all the details.  I still have quite a few basic tunes done(& plans in my head), some I considered finished at the time, but, I've progressed in my musical abilities since then, so, I'd want to go back & redo them.  I think a few of the songs are on the Mysterious Song disc for one of the bonuses IIRC.
IMG

seieienbu

I'm sure it would take great effort, but redrawing things and releasing your own adventure game that's not named Neutopia would keep away the lawsuits I dare say.
Current want list:  Bomberman 93

esteban

MORE HISTORY: The Neutopia3 project was conceived back before Wii Virtual Console. At that time, it seemed as if Neutopia was as dead as a doornail.

Once old games (like Neutopia)  became an active source of revenue again....well, you know.

Hudson/Konami/IP-owner-of-the-future are a valid concern.

BAD MEMORY: I believe that Old_Rover had already planned out the basic structure of the game, he was happy that, in general, the stages/maps were much more expansive than the earlier games.
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

OldRover

We had designed most of the game, and yeah, it was way more expansive than the previous two games. Paranoia Dragon had composed much of the soundtrack, and Keranu had done quite a bit of sprite work as well. lord_cack had taken over tile detail and was almost finished with one region's work. We had a working game engine and one region partially mapped out and mostly functional. Once Neutopia was back on the market, we wrestled with the idea of going ahead with it anyway, but eventually decided to scrap it because of how fiercely Konami protects their IP. So, unless Konami makes a Neutopia III (hahahahahahahahahahaha), this game won't ever see the light of day. We had considered releasing it under an alternate name but we had several other projects we were also juggling.
Turbo Badass Rank: Janne (6 of 12 clears)
Conquered so far: Sinistron, Violent Soldier, Tatsujin, Super Raiden, Shape Shifter, Rayxanber II

NightWolve

Oh wow, I didn't know it got that far along! Yeah, just release it under another name if you ever get back into it - that'd be great. Shame for it to be permanently scraped over such fears.

elmer

Quote from: OldRover on 02/16/2015, 08:51 AMWe had considered releasing it under an alternate name but we had several other projects we were also juggling.
I really hope that you guys will eventually do it that way ... it sounds like something that I'd love to buy/play.

Using the Neutopia name and doing the story in the same world would be way cute ... but there's plenty of examples of game creators moving to new companies and doing "spiritual sequels" with enough changed to avoid lawsuits.

For instance ... I thought that "BioShock" was a brilliant retake on the original "System Shock".

Avoiding the actual Neutopia name would make it possible to release it without worrying.

Quote from: guest on 02/15/2015, 10:08 AMThey abandoned it because they didn't want to see CD-R profiteers make "repros" of it with fancy printed labels.
Is this actually a problem with commercially-pressed homebrew games, or just a worry? Is there an example of this being done?

jlued686

I really hope you guys take it back up under a different name. I don't know, "The Return of Jazetta" or some shit. We really need more Neutopia-like games for the Duo.

esteban

Quote from: guest on 02/16/2015, 10:46 AMI really hope you guys take it back up under a different name. I don't know, "The Return of Jazetta" or some shit. We really need more Neutopia-like games for the Duo.
The Seabloon Saga :)

SkyeWelse

Many years ago when I first found out about the Neutopia III project I was very excited and still excited for it's release today. I do see that there may be legal issues with releasing it now under the name "Neutopia" because of virtual console especially, however I hope that this can simply be released as a spiritual sequel to the original franchise that we loved. I know that it is less desirable to release a game that is not directly tied in to the official Neutopia series, but that definitely does not make your game any "less" than the original if it is a spiritual sequel. You might even say that we live in an age now where spiritual sequels are all over the place where fans and/or creators have united in order to bless gamers with all new iterations of the games they were best known for, or based on the classics we grew up with. And in some cases these new games and new franchises can even outdo the originals that they were based on.

I really hope to see Frozen Utopia finish this title up, even if it's called by something else. Besides, if you end up doing that you should have absolutely no issues pressing and selling the game directly just like you all did with Mysterious Song. Yes, there will be some repro folks that show up, but it would be much easier to stop them from doing what they are doing on places like eBay if the game and it's contents are copyrighted to your team.

I bought Mysterious Song and enjoyed playing it, and I know there is a push for making the sequel to it, but personally above all of your other projects, this one has stood out to be the most unique and most desirable for me. I'd buy it in a heartbeat directly from you all as a pre-order.

-Thomas

esteban

Quote from: SkyeWelse on 02/20/2015, 12:21 AMMany years ago when I first found out about the Neutopia III project I was very excited and still excited for it's release today. I do see that there may be legal issues with releasing it now under the name "Neutopia" because of virtual console especially, however I hope that this can simply be released as a spiritual sequel to the original franchise that we loved. I know that it is less desirable to release a game that is not directly tied in to the official Neutopia series, but that definitely does not make your game any "less" than the original if it is a spiritual sequel. You might even say that we live in an age now where spiritual sequels are all over the place where fans and/or creators have united in order to bless gamers with all new iterations of the games they were best known for, or based on the classics we grew up with. And in some cases these new games and new franchises can even outdo the originals that they were based on.

I really hope to see Frozen Utopia finish this title up, even if it's called by something else. Besides, if you end up doing that you should have absolutely no issues pressing and selling the game directly just like you all did with Mysterious Song. Yes, there will be some repro folks that show up, but it would be much easier to stop them from doing what they are doing on places like eBay if the game and it's contents are copyrighted to your team.

I bought Mysterious Song and enjoyed playing it, and I know there is a push for making the sequel to it, but personally above all of your other projects, this one has stood out to be the most unique and most desirable for me. I'd buy it in a heartbeat directly from you all as a pre-order.

-Thomas
I hear you. And there must be many others who feel the same way.

I personally love the ARPG genre, in general, far more than menu-based/turn-based battle systems.

So a spiritual successor to Neutopia is far more intoxicating to me.

I hope Old_Rover finds success/happiness in his real world struggles. If he does, then he might want to forge ahead with his grand vision of "Neutopia 3"...maybe.

Or maybe he'll wan t to make Lucretia 3 SCD instead...

:)

DeshDildo

Ever since I played through Neutopia II I have dreamed of what the 3rd would have been like.  I also love the  ARPG genre and the Neutopia games are some of my favorite of all time.  I would lay down whatever monies to get a copy of such a game.  You could just call Newtopia 3 cause it's NEW, get it?  (slaps knee and laughs).
"You CAN'T prove Nulltard/DoxPhile caused ANY harm/damage/sabotage to PCEFX!! You have NO evidence he poached ANY members for his own failed PC Engine forum/site or was a conniving destructive saboteur! ZERO, ZIP, NADA!!! Nulltard did nothing wrong!"

SkyeWelse

Quote from: Desh on 02/20/2015, 11:03 AMYou could just call Newtopia 3 cause it's NEW, get it?  (slaps knee and laughs).
=D> I just wanted to say that I approve of this statement. If this was all it took to make it "legal enough" to release it, I think that's an excellent name actually. You'd probably have to change the spelling of past characters and location names and "Dirth" to "Darth"... "Dark"...."Dalk=Fukt"... you get the idea. But I do wonder if that would be enough. It might actually be. 

-Thomas

seieienbu

If you look at the parodies in, say, Mad Magazine or something they aren't exactly doing anything more than that and they seem to get by alright.
Current want list:  Bomberman 93

ParanoiaDragon

Quote from: Desh on 02/20/2015, 11:03 AMEver since I played through Neutopia II I have dreamed of what the 3rd would have been like.  I also love the  ARPG genre and the Neutopia games are some of my favorite of all time.  I would lay down whatever monies to get a copy of such a game.  You could just call Newtopia 3 cause it's NEW, get it?  (slaps knee and laughs).
Same here, except part of my dream was thinking of how the music would of sounded!

Right now, as far as Frozen Utopia goes, I'm mainly concerned with Jungle Bros. since I still have some songs to do for it, but there hasn't been any work that I know of on the game with everyone having RL troubles.  I've been working on Bonknuts Mega Man, since, well, that's another dream of mine.

But, JB, I've been thinking.  I wonder if it'd be better suited to a Monster World setup, rather than, well, a Monster Land setup.  I've been playing Monster World IV on PS3 lately, & it got me thinking.  Right now, JB is a straight up left to right arcade type platformer, more like Wonderboy or Wonderboy in Monsterland.  It's linear, though, you can go back to older levels, like Drac X.  But I wonder if it'd be best to give it a central hub like Dragon's Curse, Dynastic Hero, & Monster World IV, & have Gerald get the ability to go to these different area's based more on items obtained(flute opens door to desert, etc.).  I have one tune that could be used for the hub.  But if we had a hub, that means some sort of character interaction, & possibly shops.  No matter what, I'm really thinking this would be the best way to go.  Maybe I should do a poll for JB.  Arcade action platformer, or Monster World/Metroidvani'ish clone?
IMG

SkyeWelse

So you're are thinking of a Metroidvania-type setup for Jungle Bros? I'd vote for that option personally. I can't get enough Metroidvania, even if they are ALL over the place these days.

-Thomas

spenoza

Monster World style could work pretty well. The question for the devs is whether or not that is a more difficult game and level design structure.

ParanoiaDragon

Quote from: guest on 02/21/2015, 12:04 AMMonster World style could work pretty well. The question for the devs is whether or not that is a more difficult game and level design structure.
Yeah, that's the thing.  I wouldn't know.  I think it would mainly be a problem for Lord Cack, since he was designing the levels.  However, I think to some degree, he was already thinking of throwing in some "connected world" type layout.  I don't think I'm really revealing anything, as what he was thinking about, probably isn't quite Monster World/Castleroid open'ish world.

As far as Metroidvania's, yeah, I can't get enough of them either.  Though, probably only Dragon's Curse could really be considered a Metroidvania, where Wonderboy V is open world, & Monster World IV, is a little less so, as you can't seem to revisit old area's.
IMG

esteban

Quote from: ParanoiaDragon on 02/21/2015, 02:07 AM
Quote from: guest on 02/21/2015, 12:04 AMMonster World style could work pretty well. The question for the devs is whether or not that is a more difficult game and level design structure.
Yeah, that's the thing.  I wouldn't know.  I think it would mainly be a problem for Lord Cack, since he was designing the levels.  However, I think to some degree, he was already thinking of throwing in some "connected world" type layout.  I don't think I'm really revealing anything, as what he was thinking about, probably isn't quite Monster World/Castleroid open'ish world.

As far as Metroidvania's, yeah, I can't get enough of them either.  Though, probably only Dragon's Curse could really be considered a Metroidvania, where Wonderboy V is open world, & Monster World IV, is a little less so, as you can't seem to revisit old area's.
More important than the structure of the game is the name of our hero:

Gerald.

This is unacceptable.

It must be changed.

If it does, then the game will be great.

I suggest:

Reginald.

ParanoiaDragon

I'm pretty sure his name his Gerald, unless I'm thinking of his brother?  Either way, you best take that up with Lord Cack! :D
IMG

spenoza

Quote from: esteban on 02/21/2015, 06:44 AMMore important than the structure of the game is the name of our hero:

Gerald.

This is unacceptable.

It must be changed.

If it does, then the game will be great.

I suggest:

Reginald.
Only if it is Reginald Cuftbert. Otherwise, Geraldo must be the new name. Look how noble and heroic is the name Geraldo! How could this protagonist ever lose?

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: ParanoiaDragon on 02/21/2015, 02:07 AM

This would make the game take longer to get done, and I seem to recall reading that it already had delays/was kind of halted for some issues.
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

ParanoiaDragon

I agree, especially in regards to level layouts, & designing a hub.  Not to mention atleast 1 additional tune from me.  Just, in general it seems like it'd make a better fit for the game IMO.
IMG

NecroPhile

Quote from: guest on 02/21/2015, 11:08 PMOtherwise, Geraldo must be the new name. Look how noble and heroic is the name Geraldo! How could this protagonist ever lose?
Yes!  Geraldo and his magical 'stache in place of the whip.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

spenoza

Quote from: NecroPhile on 02/23/2015, 01:18 PM
Quote from: guest on 02/21/2015, 11:08 PMOtherwise, Geraldo must be the new name. Look how noble and heroic is the name Geraldo! How could this protagonist ever lose?
Yes!  Geraldo and his magical 'stache in place of the whip.
He will make you suffer whipstache with the thorough drubbing he dishes out. Geraldo, our hero!

esteban

OldRover

Frozen Utopia has closed down at this point, but Jungle Bros will live on as long as lord cack continues to push it forward. Neutopia III will indeed be reborn as a game under an alternate name, with alternate names throughout, but it will maintain the gameplay we originally designed for it. Both of them will simply appear later under the Eponasoft name.
Turbo Badass Rank: Janne (6 of 12 clears)
Conquered so far: Sinistron, Violent Soldier, Tatsujin, Super Raiden, Shape Shifter, Rayxanber II

esteban

Quote from: OldRover on 03/10/2015, 08:40 PMFrozen Utopia has closed down at this point, but Jungle Bros will live on as long as lord cack continues to push it forward. Neutopia III will indeed be reborn as a game under an alternate name, with alternate names throughout, but it will maintain the gameplay we originally designed for it. Both of them will simply appear later under the Eponasoft name.
Thanks for the update. :)

SkyeWelse

@Old Rover, that is wonderful news that you all will be continuing the Neutopia 3 project under a new name. I can't wait to hear more on the progress of this and I hope you all will consider releasing some tasty screenshots of the new project soon.

Action RPGs that are in the vein of Zelda / Neutopia with secrets to discover tend to be my favorite types. I still love faster paced action RPGs like the Ys series, but the hunting for secrets / passages, etc part is what I enjoy the most I think. Probably why I enjoy the Brandish series so much actually for the same reasons. So much to discover!

Not sure if you all have heard of a game called Wander Wander from Compile, but I've been wanting to be a part of a translation project for that game for awhile, and now it looks like that might actually get started up sooner than later. I think that Neutopia fans would really like that game a lot.

-Thomas

VenomMacbeth

Yeah, Frozen Utopia was a lame name anyway.  You should have just combined the two words & made Fru-

...oh.
Quote from: Gogan on 08/01/2013, 09:54 AMPlay Turbografx.
Play the Turbografx. PLAY
THE TURBOGRAFX!!!!!!

Buh buh buh, I have almost all teh games evar.  I R TEH BESTEST COLLECTR!!

ParanoiaDragon

Quote from: VenomMacbeth on 03/12/2015, 01:28 PMYeah, Frozen Utopia was a lame name anyway.  You should have just combined the two words & made Fru-

...oh.
Hey man, I came up with that name!  My cheesy tagline was "A gaming utopia frozen in time" or something like that! :)
IMG

VenomMacbeth

Quote from: ParanoiaDragon on 03/13/2015, 12:38 AM
Quote from: VenomMacbeth on 03/12/2015, 01:28 PMYeah, Frozen Utopia was a lame name anyway.  You should have just combined the two words & made Fru-

...oh.
Hey man, I came up with that name!  My cheesy tagline was "A gaming utopia frozen in time" or something like that! :)
Eyyy, I was only joshing. ^-^  I just wanted an excuse to mention Fruitopia, hahah
Quote from: Gogan on 08/01/2013, 09:54 AMPlay Turbografx.
Play the Turbografx. PLAY
THE TURBOGRAFX!!!!!!

Buh buh buh, I have almost all teh games evar.  I R TEH BESTEST COLLECTR!!

ParanoiaDragon

I know, no worries.  On another note, I do hope I can keep my music plans for Not-Neutopia(that's now the official name of our previous Neutopia 3, as it shouldn't raise any red flags) at the least.  I was doing half new tunes, half remakes, not unlike Dungeon Explorer 2's soundtrack.
IMG