10/31/2023: Localization News - Dead of the Brain 1!

No, NOT a trick, a Halloween treat! Presenting the Dead of the Brain 1 English patch by David Shadoff for the DEAD last official PC Engine CD game published by NEC before exiting the console biz in 1999! I helped edit/betatest and it's also a game I actually finished in 2023, yaaay! Shubibiman also did a French localization. github.com/dshadoff/DeadoftheBrain
twitter.com/NightWolve/PCENews
Main Menu

Foods from your childhood that you can't get anymore...

Started by VenomMacbeth, 02/21/2015, 10:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VenomMacbeth

So I recently bought several boxes of French Toast Crunch, as I have fun memories of eating those little toast-shaped cavity bombs by the bowlful as a kid.  Then, they quit selling it for a very long time.  Well, they just brought it back recently, and while I don't think it's quite as sugary as I remember, eating it still gives me the warm fuzzies.

Anybody else have foods like this?  Either something you can't get now, or couldn't get for a long time.  My parents would tell me all the time about how Wonka Gobstoppers used to actually be the size of a real jawbreaker...I know there must be plenty of other stuff like that.  Getting old sucks. :(
Quote from: Gogan on 08/01/2013, 09:54 AMPlay Turbografx.
Play the Turbografx. PLAY
THE TURBOGRAFX!!!!!!

Buh buh buh, I have almost all teh games evar.  I R TEH BESTEST COLLECTR!!

SephirothTNH

Not a food per say, but Ecto Cooler!

I used to drink that stuff all the time.

PukeSter

Not the same, but there used to be a Mexican restaurant chain near where I lived called "Desert Moon" in Exton, PA.

My dad and I loved it so much. Then it closed down about 7 years ago.

The nearest one is in Danbury, Connecticut, which we have been to a few times as of last year. But it's 4 hours away.

xcrement5x

Quote from: SephirothTNH on 02/21/2015, 10:29 AMNot a food per say, but Ecto Cooler!

I used to drink that stuff all the time.
This was the first thing I thought of too.
Demented Clone Warrior Consensus: "My pirated forum clone is superior/more "moral" than yours, neener neener neener..."  ](*,)

OldRover

Hostess used to make these kickass pudding pies in addition to their regular fruit pies. I have not seen them in many years... I have no idea if they stopped making them, or if they were just no longer sold in my region.
Turbo Badass Rank: Janne (6 of 12 clears)
Conquered so far: Sinistron, Violent Soldier, Tatsujin, Super Raiden, Shape Shifter, Rayxanber II

esteban

Cap'n Crunch - I can't actually eat this as it was intended (cereal + milk). Even as a dry snack, it's just too nasty-sweet+mealy-mouth.

As a kid, I ate bowlfuls.

Coke (and lots of sodas, like Root Beer, Grape, Orange) - JESUS they are too sweet. I WATER DOWN MY SODA IF IT IS THE ONLY THING AVAILABLE. I really do. Same applies to sweet beverages in general.  Diet Coke I can drink, but it is still very, very sweet.

I hate junky-crap icing (which is what is found on 99% of everything). I've become much more discerning when it comes to icing. Crappy icing ruins otherwise excellent cupcakes/cakes/cookies, etc.

Excellent icing, however, I fully enjoy, though I still need the cake:icing ratio to be appropriate. I hate when there is too much icing....just like I hate it when there is too much cream cheese in a bagel. THERE IS A PROPER CREAM CHEESE:BAGEL RATIO, but too many folks ignore it.

Damn them to hell!!!!
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

mitsuman

Quote from: OldRover on 02/21/2015, 01:39 PMHostess used to make these kickass pudding pies in addition to their regular fruit pies. I have not seen them in many years... I have no idea if they stopped making them, or if they were just no longer sold in my region.
like the chocolate pudding pies? I'll see some every once in awhile around where I live. Last time I ate one. A few years back, I enjoyed it, but quickly regretted the decision to eat it.

My wife and I were just discussing this last week. We both really miss s'mores crunch cereal. Not the bullshit they sell now, but the original s'mores cereal.

IMG

Sarumaru

VenomMacbeth

Quote from: esteban on 02/21/2015, 02:11 PMCap'n Crunch - I can't actually eat this as it was intended (cereal + milk). Even as a dry snack, it's just too nasty-sweet+mealy-mouth.

As a kid, I ate bowlfuls.

Coke (and lots of sodas, like Root Beer, Grape, Orange) - JESUS they are too sweet. I WATER DOWN MY SODA IF IT IS THE ONLY THING AVAILABLE. I really do. Same applies to sweet beverages in general.  Diet Coke I can drink, but it is still very, very sweet.

I hate junky-crap icing (which is what is found on 99% of everything). I've become much more discerning when it comes to icing. Crappy icing ruins otherwise excellent cupcakes/cakes/cookies, etc.

Excellent icing, however, I fully enjoy, though I still need the cake:icing ratio to be appropriate. I hate when there is too much icing....just like I hate it when there is too much cream cheese in a bagel. THERE IS A PROPER CREAM CHEESE:BAGEL RATIO, but too many folks ignore it.

Damn them to hell!!!!
I think you missed the point...but still interesting nonetheless.  I never cared for marshmallow peeps, but I could at least stomach them as a kid.  Now, the very idea of putting something that sugary in my mouth makes me gag a little.  I'm sure there are other things, but I can't think of anymore right this second.

Quote from: mitsuman on 02/21/2015, 02:13 PMIMG
That looks delicious...

A lot of cereals have come & gone.  Anyone remember waffle crisp?

And then of course, there's the promotional bullshit that obviously doesn't last...and yet I still find myself wishing I could get a box of that Pokemon cereal that came out when the first movie did...
THE TURBOGRAFX!!!!!!

cjameslv

I used to get these little mini pecan pies from the supermarket. Had a clear wrapper and a lil aluminum tray they sat in. They were like 50 cents and were delicious. Haven't seen them in years  :cry: On a side note its getting alot harder to find my fav candy bar: zerobar, here in vegas it is pretty much only certian walmarts now that carry them and no one else it seems.

InfraMan

I really miss Cookie Crisp... technically you can still get it, but it long ago turned into a bastard imposter that is Cookie Crisp in name only.

I love when they bring out Franken Berry and Count Chocula every year around Halloween, though. Not so much Boo-Berry. [-(

bob

o.pwuaioc

Crunch bars with aluminum foil.
Watchamacallits with real milk chocolate.
Do they still have those giant jawbreakers?

Rally's Burgers. Now they're all Checkers. The fries taste about the same, but to be honest, I went 15 years without having any. Now I don't really remember if they are the same or not.

Phase

Back in the early 90s use to grab a bag of these when me and friends would rent video games.
A couple years back I found a store that sold the Fridays brand pizza chips that are real close but they stopped selling them a short time later.

mitsuman

Quote from: Phase on 02/21/2015, 05:06 PM
Back in the early 90s use to grab a bag of these when me and friends would rent video games.
A couple years back I found a store that sold the Fridays brand pizza chips that are real close but they stopped selling them a short time later.
Those things were so good. We used eat those by the ton. Along with these...

SuperGrafx

Jello Pudding Pops!

Seriously...why did they discontinue those??  And that was BEFORE Bill Cosby ran into his recent string of troubles!

ccovell

I am/was a candy lover, so it's:

Sparkies: like Skittles, but a larger variety of flavour themes (sodas, ice cream, tropical fruits...)

Tart 'n Tinys: tangy candies like SweeTarts, but smaller.

Flip-Flops: candies like SweeTarts, but sweeter and had 2 flavours, one on each side of the "coin".  Really delicious and I miss these the most.

bartre

like 90% of the stuff i ate on a daily basis as a kid.

I realize now that my diet was pretty horrible, but somehow i was a string bean until Junior year when i started weightlifting.
Then i stopped lifting and got kinda chunky.
so now I watch what I eat, started working out here and there, and now i'm in decent shape I think.

Nowadays my big snack is pretzel chips.
IMG

InfraMan

Quote from: SuperGrafx on 02/21/2015, 05:18 PMJello Pudding Pops!

Seriously...why did they discontinue those??  And that was BEFORE Bill Cosby ran into his recent string of troubles!
Aww man, I LOVED Pudding Pops! Even though you can't buy them anymore, they do still sell do-it-yourself Pudding Pop kits.

Now that the thought is in my head, I think I may actually pick one up and give it a go. 8)

synbiosfan

The McDonald's fries we got to eat in the 70's. Who knows what the hell they were cooked in, they just tasted so damn good.

Give me a hot tub time machine and let me die from McDonald's fries.

cjameslv

Quote from: synbiosfan on 02/21/2015, 07:31 PMThe McDonald's fries we got to eat in the 70's. Who knows what the hell they were cooked in, they just tasted so damn good.

Give me a hot tub time machine and let me die from McDonald's fries.
Ha ya i remember that, it was beef broth if i remember right that they used in the oil to cook with them. Soo good lol

Mishran

Anyone remember the Nintendo cereal from the late 80's? Two half size bags of different cereal types per box. Great idea at the time, too bad it never stuck.

BlueBMW

I used to love Nestle Alpine White candy bars.  I know there's cookies and cream now but its just not the same as that pure white chocolate bar.  There's some by other companies but none quite have that same flavor...
[Sun 23:29] <Tatsujin> we have hard off, book off, house off, sports off, baby off, clothes off, jerk off, piss off etc

synbiosfan

Quote from: BlueBMW on 02/21/2015, 09:04 PMI used to love Nestle Alpine White candy bars.  I know there's cookies and cream now but its just not the same as that pure white chocolate bar.  There's some by other companies but none quite have that same flavor...
I forgot about those and you're right.

If there are any British shops near you, look for the Nestle Milky Bar. So f'n good.

SuperGrafx

Quote from: Mishran on 02/21/2015, 08:40 PMAnyone remember the Nintendo cereal from the late 80's? Two half size bags of different cereal types per box. Great idea at the time, too bad it never stuck.
Yes, I do.
One half was a Zelda inspired theme. 
The other half was Mario.
If I recall both sides were fruit flavored, so the only difference was the shape of the cereal bits.

TurboGrafx

Dunkaroos (they may still be out there, but I never see them)
Ecto Cooler
French Toast Crunch
WWF Ice Cream Bars

Miracle_Warrior

Definitley Punkys!  Do you guys remember these?  I preferred these over nerds and runts growing up - they were easily my most favorite hard candy.

punkys-candy-package-logo.jpg

Dicer

Foods I miss

Ecto Cooler
TMNT Pudding Pies
Arch Deluxe (I would do BAD things for one of these)
PB Crisps
OK Soda
Apple Slice (Apple flavored soda)
Monterey Ranch Chicken (The proper one from Wendy's not he current abomination)

CGQuarterly

Kraft Spaghetti Dinner: Came in a box just like Kraft Mac & Cheese.  You had to supply one small can of plain tomato sauce.  So basically the box had the pasta and a packet of marinara sauce seasoning.

Cap'N Crunch Christmas Crunch: Yes, it was just Crunch Berry cereal with red & green berries, but the box was awesome and it was a staple of my Christmas for several years.  In recent years it has been available in other parts of the country but I have never seen it for sale here.

Jell-O Pudding Pops: Already mentioned, but deserves another vote.  Why the fuck they quit making these is beyond me.

Smurfberry Crunch Cereal:  I haven't eaten this since I was probably 5 or 6 years old (so EARLY 80's) and I can still remember what it tastes like.

Ritz crackers and Keebler Club crackers: Yeah you can still buy both, but they're not the same since they took the trans fats out.

Gentlegamer

Quote from: Mishran on 02/21/2015, 08:40 PMAnyone remember the Nintendo cereal from the late 80's? Two half size bags of different cereal types per box. Great idea at the time, too bad it never stuck.
The Nintendo Cereal System
IMG
Quote from: VenomMacbeth on 10/25/2015, 02:35 PMGentle with games, rough with collectards.  Riders gon riiiiide.

BigusSchmuck

Jeno's Pizza, a tastier and cheaper alternative to Totinos. I haven't seen those in ages.
http://slice.seriouseats.com/archives/2012/10/a-pizza-my-mind-the-best-frozen-pizza-period.html

xcrement5x

Quote from: CGQuarterly on 02/22/2015, 08:15 PMKraft Spaghetti Dinner: Came in a box just like Kraft Mac & Cheese.  You had to supply one small can of plain tomato sauce.  So basically the box had the pasta and a packet of marinara sauce seasoning.

Cap'N Crunch Christmas Crunch: Yes, it was just Crunch Berry cereal with red & green berries, but the box was awesome and it was a staple of my Christmas for several years.  In recent years it has been available in other parts of the country but I have never seen it for sale here.

Jell-O Pudding Pops: Already mentioned, but deserves another vote.  Why the fuck they quit making these is beyond me.

Smurfberry Crunch Cereal:  I haven't eaten this since I was probably 5 or 6 years old (so EARLY 80's) and I can still remember what it tastes like.

Ritz crackers and Keebler Club crackers: Yeah you can still buy both, but they're not the same since they took the trans fats out.
Cap'n Crunch All Berries is pretty much the way to go anymore.  I can't stand the regular stuff after that because regular crunch rips up the top of my mouth like a bunch of mini cheese graters.
Demented Clone Warrior Consensus: "My pirated forum clone is superior/more "moral" than yours, neener neener neener..."  ](*,)

CGQuarterly

Quote from: guest on 02/23/2015, 12:36 AMCap'n Crunch All Berries is pretty much the way to go anymore.  I can't stand the regular stuff after that because regular crunch rips up the top of my mouth like a bunch of mini cheese graters.
You just need to nut up and develop some Crunch Callouses (TM) on the roof of your mouth.  Dr. Jibba's gonna write you a prescription:

For 14 consecutive days, you will eat 2 bowls of original-formula Cap'n Crunch for breakfast served with a large glass of fresh-squeezed orange juice, 1 sandwich made with a dutch-crunch roll served with equal parts pork rinds and Fritos for lunch, and for dinner one microwaved-10-seconds-too-long hot pocket that you then eat right away, with no utensils, because you're impatient and don't want to wait for it to cool off.

ccovell

Quote from: Miracle_Warrior on 02/22/2015, 07:21 PMDefinitley Punkys!  Do you guys remember these?  I preferred these over nerds and runts growing up - they were easily my most favorite hard candy.
Oh, yes, I remember those!  I liked them more than Runts & Nerds too... but not as much as Flip-Flops!

poponon

NecroPhile

I remember a few beverages that're gone (Surge, Crystal Pepsi, Zima, Orbitz, etc.), but I can't say I miss any of them.

For food stuffs, I miss Necco wafers and Clove/Blackjack/Beemans gum; they're still made, but I generally don't buy food online or visit hipster candy stores.  I also miss the old chili cheese burritos from Taco Bell; you can still get 'em, but I think the chili is a bit different nowadays and no fritos.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

Gentlegamer

Blackjack gum! I loved that stuff. It was the perfect thing in high school to keep people from bumming your gum, "hey GG, can I have some gum? EWW IT'S LICORICE FLAVORED? GROSS!"
IMG
Quote from: VenomMacbeth on 10/25/2015, 02:35 PMGentle with games, rough with collectards.  Riders gon riiiiide.

VenomMacbeth

THE TURBOGRAFX!!!!!!

DragonmasterDan

Quote from: Sarumaru on 02/21/2015, 02:44 PMI miss these. They were amaze~

IMG
Yes these!

I can still taste them with my imagination.
--DragonmasterDan

SuperGrafx

Quote from: guest on 02/23/2015, 04:45 PMI remember a few beverages that're gone (Surge, Crystal Pepsi, Zima, Orbitz, etc.), but I can't say I miss any of them.

For food stuffs, I miss Necco wafers and Clove/Blackjack/Beemans gum; they're still made, but I generally don't buy food online or visit hipster candy stores.  I also miss the old chili cheese burritos from Taco Bell; you can still get 'em, but I think the chili is a bit different nowadays and no fritos.
I've found Necco products (ie: Skybars, Clark bars, Necco Wafers) at Dollar Tree and Five Below stores here in the south. 

The gum that you mention I think can only be purchased online.

roflmao

Quote from: guest on 02/23/2015, 04:45 PMI also miss the old chili cheese burritos from Taco Bell; you can still get 'em, but I think the chili is a bit different nowadays and no fritos.
Of all the things mentioned so far, this is what I miss most.

cr8zykuban0

CAPSLOCK

Quote from: guest on 02/23/2015, 04:45 PMI remember a few beverages that're gone (Surge, Crystal Pepsi, Zima, Orbitz, etc.), but I can't say I miss any of them.

I was going to say Orbitz, they were hugely popular for a very short time where I grew up.

IMG

ToyMachine78

NecroPhile

Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

VenomMacbeth

Quote from: guest on 02/24/2015, 09:48 AMYes.

Now get off my lawn!
:lol:

Well if it's any consolation, I've seen most of those candies (namely the neccos and clove gum) at Cracker Barrel.  I tried chewing the clove gum to curb my addiction do Djarums, but to no avail obviously. 

Anyway, I'll gladly go pick some up for you if ya wanna trade me some obey for it! ;D
THE TURBOGRAFX!!!!!!

geise

Planters Cheetos and Cheese Balls.  They were the best!  Kraft bought planters then told them to get rid of em.

ParanoiaDragon

Almost Home cookies, especially the peanut butter with chocolate on top, flippin' miss those!
IMG
Magic Middles as already stated!
Yummy Mummy cereal
The Mario/Zelda cereal as already stated
IMG
Land o' Lakes Butter cookies, forget a serving size of 2 cookies, I ate those by the sleeve, that's a serving size!!!
Banana Frosted Flakes
Ice Cream Cones cereal
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles cereal
Urkle-o's(J/K, didn't even know these existed!
IMG
Nerds Cereal

Now, for some restaurants I miss:
Happy Steak, we used to eat here after Church regularly
IMG

Bob's Big Boy, ate here after Church a lot as well.  I used to get the Big Boy Combo....which seems like a lot of food for a little tyke, yikes!  The building in my area that used to house one when I was a kid, was demolished about a month ago.  There was a really cheapo' Chinese buffet place there, never bothered with it.  Oh, I think after Bobo's, it was a Coco's for awhile
BobsBigBoySanDiego.webp

Pioneer Chicken, there's only a few left in the US, all the rest now are in China.  I mainly used to get the fish n' chips.  It was right down the street from my house.  Eventually it became a $1 Chinese restaurant, we called it Buck n' Chuck.
IMG
IMG

herb

IMG
These were the best things ever. I really hope they bring them back at some point.