10/31/2023: Localization News - Dead of the Brain 1!

No, NOT a trick, a Halloween treat! Presenting the Dead of the Brain 1 English patch by David Shadoff for the DEAD last official PC Engine CD game published by NEC before exiting the console biz in 1999! I helped edit/betatest and it's also a game I actually finished in 2023, yaaay! Shubibiman also did a French localization. github.com/dshadoff/DeadoftheBrain
twitter.com/NightWolve/PCENews
Main Menu

Konami officially pulling out of releasing console games.

Started by Otaking, 05/14/2015, 02:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Otaking

Konami announce they will be concentrating fully on mobile games.
I know everyone saw this coming but now it's official.
http://jin115.com/archives/52080348.html
Quote"We will pursue mobile games aggressively," says Konami's new CEO Hayakawa in an interview with Nikkei Trendy Net.

"Our main platform will be mobiles. Following the pay-as-you-play model of games like Power pro and Winning Eleven with additional content, our games must move from selling things like "items" to selling things like "features."

"We saw with these games that even people who buy physical games are motivated to buy extra content. The success of Power pro especially has motivated us to actively push more of our popular series onto mobile than ever before."

"Gaming has spread to a number of platforms, but at the end of the day, the platform that is always closest to us, is mobile. Mobile is where the future of gaming lies."

"We hope that our overseas games such as MGSV and Winning Eleven continue to do well, but we are always thinking about how to push our franchises onto mobile there too."

"With multiplatform games, there's really no point in dividing the market into categories anymore. Mobiles will take on the new role of linking the general public to the gaming world."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86jH2UQmvKY&t=812s
Quote from: some block off youtubeIn one episode, Dodongo c-walks out of a convenience store with a 40 at 7:40 AM, steals an arcade machine from an auction, haggles in Spanish for a stuffed papa smurf to use as a sex toy, and buys Secret of Mana for a dollar.

NecroPhile

Fuck 'em.  With any luck, maybe they'll license their goodies to competent developers for consoles and/or pc.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

cjameslv

Man it's not gonna be long before physical copies of games are gone completely.

SignOfZeta

I can't say I remember the last time I bought something from them, but it's sad to see them go. Sad and also...just weird. It wasn't that long ago that they were kicking ass on a global level with Beamani games, Castlevania, Suikoden, etc.

I guess, if you thinking about it, they more or less stopped releasing anything that wasn't Silent Hill or Metal Gear, building their company around it more or less, and when the wind changed direction the whole thing fell apart.

I don't quite get why they bought Hudson though...they went from expansion to dissolution in less than three years. Kinda shows a lack of long term planning.
IMG

Gentlegamer

Goodbye Konami, I'll always remember the good times.
IMG
Quote from: VenomMacbeth on 10/25/2015, 02:35 PMGentle with games, rough with collectards.  Riders gon riiiiide.

DragonmasterDan

It's sad. They're historically my favorite third party console game publisher. From the 8-32 bit eras they consistently made the best third party titles. Even on the PSP I consistently found myself tracking down Konami products.
--DragonmasterDan

Otaking

Personally I think this is beginning of the end of big software publishers.
I think in the future, games development teams will be directly crowd funded by fans similar to what's happened with:

Capcom > Keiji Inafune > http://www.mightyno9.com/

Rare > Playtonic Games > https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/playtonic/yooka-laylee-a-3d-platformer-rare-vival

Konami > Koji Igarashi > https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/iga/bloodstained-ritual-of-the-night

Just watched the new Happy Console Gamer video and he says a similar thing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86jH2UQmvKY&t=812s
Quote from: some block off youtubeIn one episode, Dodongo c-walks out of a convenience store with a 40 at 7:40 AM, steals an arcade machine from an auction, haggles in Spanish for a stuffed papa smurf to use as a sex toy, and buys Secret of Mana for a dollar.

PCEngineHell

Konami has been busy digging themselves into a hole for awhile now. If this had happened like back in 2003 or sometime prior I'd be like wtf and feel kinda sad. But the Konami of 2015? No fucks given.

ccovell

Quote from: cjameslv on 05/14/2015, 03:12 PMMan it's not gonna be long before physical copies of games are gone completely.
Well, to paraphrase Larry Ellison: "We're putting bits into boxes, and shipping them around the world?!?"

One good thing about digital downloads is at least inefficiency and wastefulness get reduced...

Gentlegamer

Quote from: ccovell on 05/14/2015, 07:25 PM
Quote from: cjameslv on 05/14/2015, 03:12 PMMan it's not gonna be long before physical copies of games are gone completely.
Well, to paraphrase Larry Ellison: "We're putting bits into boxes, and shipping them around the world?!?"

One good thing about digital downloads is at least inefficiency and wastefulness get reduced...
In other news, Microsoft has revealed it has the ability to not just ban your online account, but remotely brick your console.

And this is a common ability, Sony and Nintendo can do the same thing. Do you want to put your games (and they *are* your games) at the mercy of someone else?
IMG
Quote from: VenomMacbeth on 10/25/2015, 02:35 PMGentle with games, rough with collectards.  Riders gon riiiiide.

o.pwuaioc

It's easy. Stop playing modern games. They're all shit anyway.

Quote from: DragonmasterDan on 05/14/2015, 05:16 PMIt's sad. They're historically my favorite third party console game publisher. From the 8-32 bit eras they consistently made the best third party titles. Even on the PSP I consistently found myself tracking down Konami products.
Same here, though not that late. Konami definitely won my heart in the 8/16 bit era, less so in the 32 bit era, and even less afterward. Still that 16 bit Konami jingle always let me know I was about play something really, really good.

SuperGrafx

Well, this is never a good thing to see.
But seeing as I've stayed away from the modern gen of games, it doesn't really impact me. 

Konami was certainly a powerhouse during the 8 and 16 bit eras though

thesteve

if they start remote bricking systems it will finely put an end to their ability to sell the systems for top$

technozombie

It's kind a weird state to be in where I've always thought of myself, and been thought of by others as the "gamer" and now more and more companies aren't making games for me. Mobile games, by nature of the controls, just aren't as good and yet that is where the money is I guess.

Psycho Punch

Quote from: guest on 05/14/2015, 07:34 PMIt's easy. Stop playing modern games. They're all shit anyway.
/znZK6Tk.gif
This Toxic Turbo Turd/Troll & Clone Warrior calls himself "Burning Fight!!" on Neo-Geo.com
For a good time, reach out to: aleffrenan94@gmail.com or punchballmariobros@gmail.com
Like DildoKobold, dildos are provided free of charge, no need to bring your own! :lol:
He also ran scripts to steal/clone this forum which blew up the error logs! I had to delete THOUSANDS of errors cause of this nutcase!
how_to_spell_ys_sign_origin_ver.webp

o.pwuaioc

I don't even know what game that is but I can tell it's a shit game. Nobey? No way!

ToyMachine78

There is no need for publishers now. Same is true for music. You can code/record it yourself now for cheaper, as long As you find a distribution outlet like amazon or kickstarter.

Edit: books too . there is so much direct distribution now.

PCEngineHell

Quote from: guest on 05/14/2015, 08:57 PMI don't even know what game that is but I can tell it's a shit game. Nobey? No way!
It's Art of Fighting for the NeoGeo.

Psycho Punch

Yakuza is one of the best game series from the late and current gen... you don't know what you're missing  [-( . It's OK to nobey sometimes, as Johnny Turbo would demonstrate by working with SEGA after TTi closed shop. :lol:

This Toxic Turbo Turd/Troll & Clone Warrior calls himself "Burning Fight!!" on Neo-Geo.com
For a good time, reach out to: aleffrenan94@gmail.com or punchballmariobros@gmail.com
Like DildoKobold, dildos are provided free of charge, no need to bring your own! :lol:
He also ran scripts to steal/clone this forum which blew up the error logs! I had to delete THOUSANDS of errors cause of this nutcase!
how_to_spell_ys_sign_origin_ver.webp

o.pwuaioc

I do some modern nobey, but much less than the glory years, and mostly games that still capture that classic aesthetic (shooters, 2D platformers, even Civ 5 isn't fundamentally "modern" in mechanics). I've found these 3D action games to be very boring, and Yakuza looks like more of the same.

Mathius

Mobile gaming has turned real games into vending machine products. The least amount of product using the cheapest ingredients possible just to keep our fingers busy for a short amount of time.

Dammit Konami. Just dammit.

slinkyturd

Downloadable content and the necessity of internet access for your console has killed home console gaming. It's so bad at this point that all the consoles are so terrible no one wants to actually buy them. It used to be that you would know exactly what console you wanted and you knew you'd be happy with that decision. It's a big damn mess cause really, other than a giant relief to the weight of your wallet, what is the difference between last gen and current gen systems? Not a whole damn much. It's stagnant and nothing actually innovative is coming out, just gimmicks that will be short lived and soon forgotten.

Spend $400 for a new system and a single game to get what? a weeks worth of pleasure before you own that game (figuratively)?

Spend $30-$60 on a 16 bit era system and the rest of that $400 on a pile of games for a year's worth of fun. Or spend less than $150 for the system and the everdrive and the rest on hookers and blow.

This really is a no brainer! It's sad how this industry has crumbled and fallen to the shell of itself that it now is.
70/95 US Turbochips

TR0N

Quote from: HardcoreOtaku on 05/14/2015, 02:42 PMKonami announce they will be concentrating fully on mobile games.
I know everyone saw this coming but now it's official.
http://jin115.com/archives/52080348.html
Quote"We will pursue mobile games aggressively," says Konami's new CEO Hayakawa in an interview with Nikkei Trendy Net.

"Our main platform will be mobiles. Following the pay-as-you-play model of games like Power pro and Winning Eleven with additional content, our games must move from selling things like "items" to selling things like "features."

"We saw with these games that even people who buy physical games are motivated to buy extra content. The success of Power pro especially has motivated us to actively push more of our popular series onto mobile than ever before."

"Gaming has spread to a number of platforms, but at the end of the day, the platform that is always closest to us, is mobile. Mobile is where the future of gaming lies."

"We hope that our overseas games such as MGSV and Winning Eleven continue to do well, but we are always thinking about how to push our franchises onto mobile there too."

"With multiplatform games, there's really no point in dividing the market into categories anymore. Mobiles will take on the new role of linking the general public to the gaming world."
Those men in the ivory tower have clearly lost it.Then again it seems most japanese developers are out of touch with gamers.Going from snkplaymore,sega,nintendo among others have jumped on the mobile gaming bandwagon.I can't say of blame then again it is profitable but i still find it to be a disappointment.Once MGSV comes out that will be the last game id buy from konami.I could care less there will be focusing more on mobile gaming and i hope they lose money on it but i doubt it.
IMG
PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

glazball

The Dude: "That's a .... bummer man.  That's a bummer"

I was hoping this wouldn't happen too, but alas...  you'll be missed Konami.  Played Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 on PS3 earlier this year and loved it.  I guess Metal Gear Solid V will be our last hurrah.

Fuck mobile gaming.  Fuck mobile gaming in the ass.
glazball's game collection and wantlist

ClodBusted

I once tried the Lords of Shadow demo on Xbox 360, but returned to Drac X on the Wii in the end. I think the fact that I want instant action and simple controls from a Castlevania from the second when I turn the game on is what killed my interest in LoS.

Repost from Nightwolve:
Quote from: NightWolve on 05/04/2015, 01:09 AMCleaning house, making way for "Konami: International Gambling Masters." ;)

IMG

slinkyturd

The 2 Castlevanias on PS2 are 3d but both awesome in their own right.
70/95 US Turbochips

TR0N

Quote from: glazball on 05/15/2015, 02:49 PMThe Dude: "That's a .... bummer man.  That's a bummer"

I was hoping this wouldn't happen too, but alas...  you'll be missed Konami.  Played Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 on PS3 earlier this year and loved it.  I guess Metal Gear Solid V will be our last hurrah.

Fuck mobile gaming.  Fuck mobile gaming in the ass.
You mean fuck japan right  :wink: Consoles in japan are becoming irrelevant and mobile gaming has become popular,that's why japanese developers are jumping on the bandwagon.
IMG
PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

Dicer

glazball

Quote from: TR0N on 05/16/2015, 02:18 AMYou mean fuck japan right  :wink: Consoles in japan are becoming irrelevant and mobile gaming has become popular,that's why japanese developers are jumping on the bandwagon.
Ha, I love Japanese games.  Though iirc, Lords of Shadow was developed in Spain and I always thought it had a certain Pan's Labyrinth vibe to it.  Both are highly underrated.

I don't care where the games come from though, as long as they are solid.  I just want to play them on a console, with 7.1 sound and sharp graphics <insert Tim the Tool Man grunt here>, on a couch in my home, not on a tiny ass screen like a 5-grader at recess.

Why Konami, why??
glazball's game collection and wantlist

cr8zykuban0

r.i.p. konami.

mobile games aren't the future, its the path to their destruction

CrackTiger

Quote from: Dicer on 05/16/2015, 03:56 PMGood riddance to the Hudson killers...
They didn't kill Hudson. Hudson at the time was doing what Konami is about to.

The Hudson Soft we love was gone long before.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

Dicer

Quote from: guest on 05/18/2015, 11:42 PM

They acquired the company for what, to do fuck all with any and all of the IP, save for a shitty mobile bomberman puzzle game...

Why bother?

NecroPhile

Quote from: Dicer on 05/19/2015, 02:25 AMThey acquired the company for what, to do fuck all with any and all of the IP, save for a shitty mobile bomberman puzzle game...

Why bother?
So they can make Bomberman themed pachinko machines?
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

DragonmasterDan

Quote from: Dicer on 05/19/2015, 02:25 AM
Quote from: guest on 05/18/2015, 11:42 PM

They acquired the company for what, to do fuck all with any and all of the IP, save for a shitty mobile bomberman puzzle game...

Why bother?
I think they used Hudson's already well developed resources in the mobile business to more firmly entrench themselves into the mobile game/app market.
--DragonmasterDan

Mathius

Probably similar to Square-Enix's acquisition of Taito. Just so peeps can play Space Invaders on their silly touch screens.

DragonmasterDan

Quote from: Mathius on 05/19/2015, 10:34 AMProbably similar to Square-Enix's acquisition of Taito. Just so peeps can play Space Invaders on their silly touch screens.
Enix bought Taito shortly after they meged with/acquired Square. Long before the mobile market was a developed market for gaming.
--DragonmasterDan

jlued686

Well, this is interesting. A survey about which games you'd like to see Konami make.

http://mobilesurvey.blicx.com/?

IMG

They also ask if there are any other Konami properties you'd like to see. I made sure to start with Hudson titles like Bonk and Adventure Island.

EmperorIng

It's nice to see Konami letting the fans participate in the pachinko-machine-making process.

MotherGunner

-MG

SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM (If you want peace, Prepare for war)
SI VIS BELLUM, PARA MATRIMONIUM (If you want war, Prepare for marriage)

NightWolve

Quote from: guest on 05/14/2015, 08:51 PM
Quote from: guest on 05/14/2015, 07:34 PMIt's easy. Stop playing modern games. They're all shit anyway.
/znZK6Tk.gif
:lol:

It's old, but props for my laugh of the day! Somehow I missed this thread when Konami was the buzz in the news media. I see Konami Kat the jerk made it into the thread also. Heh.

PukeSter

This will be Capcom in a few years time. They have barely any money left, making only a few okay games a year.

Like Konami had to rely on Metal Gear and Silent Hill, Capcom now relies on the annual Monster Hunter and Street Fighter.

Mathius

I filled out that survey so thanks for posting it. In the comments section I made sure to argue the idea of changing the Konami logo back to its classic style. I mentioned that the old logo was just as important as the Coca-Cola, Nintendo, and Capcom logos. And that you don't see those companies messing around with theirs. And for good reason which to you guys I'm sure is obvious.

HailingTheThings

Filling out survey now. :3

More Rocket Knight, please?
IMG

GreatBlue Swirlof99

Oh well, the industry is digging its own grave! Capcom is messing around and f*cked up, SE has been making horrible FF games(look at 15 just LOOK!) , SEGA, oh dear SEGA I don't care about SE Or Konami but why? Sonic boom mobile gaming when you made some of my favorite games during the Dreamcast era (hell in 3/4 years you made better games than the sony corp has been in 20 years  :cry: now you make sh1tty pachinko machines, what the hell?!) and now freaking what? Sonic 4 ep 2 on IPad just disgraceful SEGA! I just give up on gaming as a whole except Nintendo of course, they actually make good games!   :-$  =P~ I miss the days of GOOD games! There my rant about this sh1t!
The Dreamcast is still alive, so go play it before it kills your family!

Opethian

they had a good run

if they only had to power to flip their backcatalog of game they would still be around
if only...
IMG

GreatBlue Swirlof99

Quote from: Opethian on 08/20/2015, 10:23 AMthey had a good run

if they only had to power to flip their backcatalog of game they would still be around
if only...
Konami should hire this guy, he actually has a good idea how to make money! :D
The Dreamcast is still alive, so go play it before it kills your family!

NightWolve