Is it acceptable to beat someone up for giving you the finger while driving?

Started by VenomMacbeth, 08/03/2015, 11:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VenomMacbeth

Last week, I was driving home with my kid & I decided to stop and get some McDumbles.  As I'm approaching the light to make a left turn, this guy in an unnecessarily huge Dodge truck starts tailgating me.  Not just riding too close, but tailgating.  On purpose. 

Normally I'm not too belligerent a driver, but my temper gets about 200% worse when I'm driving with my kid. 

So as I finally turn into the left lane, the guy quickly veers around me...so I flipped him a nice big ol' birdy & pulled into the drivethru.  A couple seconds later, he's pulled up next to me telling me to roll my window down, calling me a pussy, saying I'm lucky I've got my kid with me otherwise he'd drag me out of the car & kick my ass. 

I feel like I handled it well, I didn't get frightened or return his malice.  I just told him to go ahead & pick a fight if he felt it necessary, and what a big man he must be for it.  He promptly drove off.

Since then, I've been thinking about alternative ways that could have went down.  About the witty things I should have retorted with.  About how glad I am I carry a knife around in the car...hopefully not so much for using, but for brandishing in a psychopathic manner in the event someone does try to come up in mah spot. 

I should have told the guy that I wasn't trying to pick a fight, but rather, show him what a douchenozzle he was being by riding the bumper of the car carrying my 10-month-old.

Did I deserve to potentially get my ass kicked for that?  I don't think so.  Thoughts?
Quote from: Gogan on 08/01/2013, 09:54 AMPlay Turbografx.
Play the Turbografx. PLAY
THE TURBOGRAFX!!!!!!

Buh buh buh, I have almost all teh games evar.  I R TEH BESTEST COLLECTR!!

CGQuarterly

It's really hard to know what to do (or to do the right thing) in those situations.  Honestly I think you probably handled it pretty well.  Yeah you coulda done this or coulda done that, but it sounds like he was the one being the aggressor the entire time, and you stayed pretty level headed, aside from the 1-finger salute.

You can take solace in the fact that he must have had a pretty shitty life up to this point to be acting the way that he does.

o.pwuaioc

VenomMacbeth

What gets me is that if he was in such a hurry that he had to ride my ass & take off like a bat out of hell to get around me (I consistently drive 5 miles over the speed limit, mind you) then how did he have time to make a u-turn, pull into McDroogles & cuss at a guy a quarter his size?

I'm not an aggressive person, but I'm not afraid to call someone out for being a tool. 

Also, I can't be sure how shitty his life was if he had the money to afford a truck that size with all the custom shit plastered all over it (which was my inspiration for the comment on my vape thread, btw).  I know money doesn't equal happiness, but it helps. :/
THE TURBOGRAFX!!!!!!

VenomMacbeth

Quote from: guest on 08/03/2015, 11:25 AMDefault response to road rage verbal exchanges:

Oooh, thexthy... I'd be tho happy to wrethle with you, big boi! Get your cute little bunth down here and leth get thtarted.
THIS.  From now on, this'll be what I do.
THE TURBOGRAFX!!!!!!

Psycho Punch

Quote from: Nulltard on 08/03/2015, 11:25 AMDefault response to road rage verbal exchanges:

Oooh, thexthy... I'd be tho happy to wrethle with you, big boi! Get your cute little bunth down here and leth get thtarted. 
:lol:
This Toxic Turbo Turd/Troll & Clone Warrior calls himself "Burning Fight!!" on Neo-Geo.com
For a good time, reach out to: aleffrenan94@gmail.com or punchballmariobros@gmail.com
Like DildoKobold, dildos are provided free of charge, no need to bring your own! :lol:
He also ran scripts to steal/clone this forum which blew up the error logs! I had to delete THOUSANDS of errors cause of this nutcase!
how_to_spell_ys_sign_origin_ver.webp

NecroPhile

When someone yells at me, I prefer to meow at 'em and try to eat the invisible cookie on my shoulder.  They usually decide that I've got enough problems and they'd be better off leaving me alone.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

CGQuarterly

Quote from: VenomMacbeth on 08/03/2015, 11:24 AMAlso, I can't be sure how shitty his life was if he had the money to afford a truck that size with all the custom shit plastered all over it (which was my inspiration for the comment on my vape thread, btw).  I know money doesn't equal happiness, but it helps. :/
I used to always assume that people like that had a lot of disposable income, but the older I get the more I realize that a lot of people are just REALLY irresponsible with money.  The two types of people who drive around in customized, tricked-out rides are people with a ton of extra money, and people who want to give the appearance that they have a ton of extra money but are actually broke.  And I would argue that there are a lot more of the latter than the former.  I think that for the most part, guys like me who have enough income to live relatively comfortably but not enough to spend on a lot of frivolous shit don't do stuff like that.

Quote from: guestDefault response to road rage verbal exchanges:

Kind of related to that, someone once told me that the best response to road rage is to blow the other person a kiss.  Can't say I've actually tried that yet, though...

VenomMacbeth

Ahh, I do blow kisses, along with a "toodle-ooh" wave, on the reg.  Sometimes I even give a thumbs up.  This guy, though, with his Popeye biceps & 4x4 penis extension, combined with my newfound dad/protector instinct, just necessitated a middle finger this go-round.  Though I suppose the gesture put my kid in danger more than anything...

I guess mostly I'm just worried about getting shot, though given where I live, that'll probably happen regardless.
THE TURBOGRAFX!!!!!!

BigusSchmuck

This is why I live in a village, no BS. Though I have thought of pimping my ride Twisted Metal style when I used to live in the Tricities. Nowadays about the closes thing we get to road rage in these parts are when tractors, trains or cattle cross the road and you have to use the term hurry up and wait. :P

jtucci31

Usually what I'll do is just flick them off but won't actually lift my hand up. So it's more just for me then, helps me get over it quickly and not get in potential fights.

The one time I actually flicked someone off, he was on my ass on the interstate and when he finally got next to me, I flicked him off. However at the same time he was waving his hand at me trying to apologize. So there I was, flicking him off while he is saying sorry. He then promptly waved his hand at me as if to say "whatever" and drove off.

Oops.

Learned my lesson.

Arkhan Asylum

You're asking if it's ok for someone to physically harm you because you exercised freedom of speech.

The answer is "no".

lol
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

esteban

Quote from: guest on 08/03/2015, 11:54 AMWhen someone yells at me, I prefer to meow at 'em and try to eat the invisible cookie on my shoulder.  They usually decide that I've got enough problems and they'd be better off leaving me alone.
I was going to give Nulltard a prize, but this is so much better and CAN BE EXECUTED IN A MOMENT OR TWO,  in any environment (no matter how noisy) without any words.

So, basically meow + nom nom nom = universal (no language barriers)
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

PunkCryborg

Next time just hold up your phone like you are recording him and yell "WORLD STAR!!!"

bob

somehow, get in front of the driver again, or if they are already tailgating you, just have a handful of pennys within reach.  throw them out the window.  does a number on a cars paint, and at high enough speeds, it's almost like bullets from a shotgun.

GohanX

Quote from: CGQuarterly on 08/03/2015, 12:03 PM
Quote from: VenomMacbeth on 08/03/2015, 11:24 AMAlso, I can't be sure how shitty his life was if he had the money to afford a truck that size with all the custom shit plastered all over it (which was my inspiration for the comment on my vape thread, btw).  I know money doesn't equal happiness, but it helps. :/
I used to always assume that people like that had a lot of disposable income, but the older I get the more I realize that a lot of people are just REALLY irresponsible with money.  The two types of people who drive around in customized, tricked-out rides are people with a ton of extra money, and people who want to give the appearance that they have a ton of extra money but are actually broke.  And I would argue that there are a lot more of the latter than the former.  I think that for the most part, guys like me who have enough income to live relatively comfortably but not enough to spend on a lot of frivolous shit don't do stuff like that.

Quote from: guestDefault response to road rage verbal exchanges:

Kind of related to that, someone once told me that the best response to road rage is to blow the other person a kiss.  Can't say I've actually tried that yet, though...
You're right, but I would add that most people with real money would just have bought a nicer vehicle to begin with instead of buying a lesser vehicle and tricking it out.

HailingTheThings

Quote from: guest on 08/03/2015, 11:54 AMWhen someone yells at me, I prefer to meow at 'em and try to eat the invisible cookie on my shoulder.  They usually decide that I've got enough problems and they'd be better off leaving me alone.
I like this one. :3
IMG

wildfruit

If someone is persistently tailgating you just pull over and let them pass. Problem solved, situation avoided.

esteban

Quote from: wildfruit on 08/04/2015, 06:54 AMIf someone is persistently tailgating you just pull over and let them pass. Problem solved, situation avoided.
But where is the drama in that?

:)

GreatBlue Swirlof99

Well you have the right the express yourself so yeah but if he beats you up I donno its Better not to provoke someone!
The Dreamcast is still alive, so go play it before it kills your family!

DeshDildo

I must say I am a serious rager on the road.  I always keep it limited to cussing and making up stories about why that person is so stupid confined inside my own vehicle.  I have also had my fair share of those unbalanced people that want to get physical over something stupid.  I have my CCW and usually have my .45 with me including in my work vehicle just in case I come across a supreme psychopath (and for protection when working in the ghetto).  Bottom line, there are insane people everywhere and with society leaning towards a "me first" attitude it's only getting worse.
"You CAN'T prove Nulltard/DoxPhile caused ANY harm/damage/sabotage to PCEFX!! You have NO evidence he poached ANY members for his own failed PC Engine forum/site or was a conniving destructive saboteur! ZERO, ZIP, NADA!!! Nulltard did nothing wrong!"

esteban

IT IS TIME TO START THE BATTLES.

COMMENCE!

Quote from: Desh on 08/04/2015, 10:41 AMI must say I am a serious rager on the road.  I always keep it limited to cussing and making up stories about why that person is so stupid confined inside my own vehicle.  I have also had my fair share of those unbalanced people that want to get physical over something stupid.  I have my CCW and usually have my .45 with me including in my work vehicle just in case I come across a supreme psychopath (and for protection when working in the ghetto).  Bottom line, there are insane people everywhere and with society leaning towards a "me first" attitude it's only getting worse.
Wait, you think the "extreme psychopath" is out there?!!

I am not worried about a psychopath. Movies have shown me that a determined psychopath will laugh at anything, even a Howitzer.

100% of my driving is without handguns, shotguns, or even Bazooka Bubblegum. :)

From where I am sitting, in my beat-up, barely-mobile Honda Civic '96, sans-handgun, grenade launcher,  or flamethrower, you are the driver that I am afraid will do something—in a moment of fear/desperation/rage...or just a damn accident—that can't be undone.

It will be regrettable, of course.

But it won't be reversible.

MEMO TO SELF: It is much safer to argue about the merits of Blodia or Valis II than minimum wage/politics/guns.

NecroPhile

Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

DeshDildo

Quote from: guest on 08/04/2015, 11:23 AMAlways go counterclockwise, Desh.  :mrgreen:
Lulz!

Este, I have never had to even think about reaching for my weapon (thank God) but I will defend myself and my family if the occasion presented itself.  The O.P. mentioned that he carries a knife.  What's the difference?  I can tell you if someone tried to come at me with a knife I would un-holster my weapon in the hopes that person would realize they brought a knife to a gunfight.  If the knife wielding psycho was crazy enough to advance after that then I would attempt to incapacitate them.  It is my right to protect myself.  Why would you ever want to take that chance? 

5 years ago my stance was a bit different.  I have always owned firearms for sport and home defense.  In reality, they really would have been useless for home defense because I kept them unloaded and locked in a basement safe and kept the ammunition locked in a separate spot on the top floor.  My views changed considerably when my neighbor across the street had a home invasion at gun point with his two young children home.  Now in that instance they were only after monetary items but, I live in the human trafficking capital of the world.  If someone came into my home and tried to take my children, I'm going to do everything in my power to save them.  3 years ago one of my coworkers was robbed at gun point while working in a terrible part of town (for those that don't know Toledo Ohio is Detroit lite).

I decided that I would never let myself be in a situation were I would be helpless. 

Este, the only reason you should be fearful of me on the road is if I were a psychopath (because I am armed).  I've found that most people against guns have never even used one at a shooting range.  Proper training and knowledge on firearms are what should be preached as gun control.  Taking away guns from normal citizens only makes us more vulnerable to the psychopaths and criminals.
"You CAN'T prove Nulltard/DoxPhile caused ANY harm/damage/sabotage to PCEFX!! You have NO evidence he poached ANY members for his own failed PC Engine forum/site or was a conniving destructive saboteur! ZERO, ZIP, NADA!!! Nulltard did nothing wrong!"

VenomMacbeth

I've decided next time someone rages at me like that, I shall perform the Time Warner nipple tweak/heartfelt apology.
THE TURBOGRAFX!!!!!!

EvilEvoIX

Never get involved.  You never know if anyone is carrying.  I am for the most part an EXTREMELY defensive driver so I always let people go and if I am in anyone's way I like to get out as fast as possible. 

This just happened because someone followed someone else home.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/07/27/us/florida-road-rage-killing/

If they do yell at me I agree with everything they say over and over again, normally takes the fire out of their argument.  After they yell they just take off, let it go.

However, if you are EXTREMELY LUCKY, you get this result, which is pure deliciousness.
IMGIMGIMG
Quote from: PCEngineHellI already dropped him a message on there and he did not reply back, so fuck him, and his cunt wife.

ToyMachine78

Quote from: esteban on 08/04/2015, 11:14 AMIT IS TIME TO START THE BATTLES.

COMMENCE!

Quote from: Desh on 08/04/2015, 10:41 AMI must say I am a serious rager on the road.  I always keep it limited to cussing and making up stories about why that person is so stupid confined inside my own vehicle.  I have also had my fair share of those unbalanced people that want to get physical over something stupid.  I have my CCW and usually have my .45 with me including in my work vehicle just in case I come across a supreme psychopath (and for protection when working in the ghetto).  Bottom line, there are insane people everywhere and with society leaning towards a "me first" attitude it's only getting worse.
Wait, you think the "extreme psychopath" is out there?!!

I am not worried about a psychopath. Movies have shown me that a determined psychopath will laugh at anything, even a Howitzer.

100% of my driving is without handguns, shotguns, or even Bazooka Bubblegum. :)

From where I am sitting, in my beat-up, barely-mobile Honda Civic '96, sans-handgun, grenade launcher,  or flamethrower, you are the driver that I am afraid will do something—in a moment of fear/desperation/rage...or just a damn accident—that can't be undone.

It will be regrettable, of course.

But it won't be reversible.

MEMO TO SELF: It is much safer to argue about the merits of Blodia or Valis II than minimum wage/politics/guns.
Who has ever heard of a psycho driving on the highway? They're all stalking babysitters in sleepy neighborhoods or chasing teens through the woods