Completed my first PC Engine game - PC Genjin

Started by VictorRong, 11/27/2015, 11:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VictorRong

My AV cable turned up for my new PC Engine Core Grafx (as I said in my intro post I've never played a PCE) and the console worked fine *wipes sweat from brow*.  So I started playing PC Genjin...and kept playing and kept playing and loved it.  I completed it over a few sittings, I just kept coming back to it.  I love the way once you get the hang of "bonking" in the air you can just bounce across a level!

The only frustrating thing for me was the end of game boss and the sub end of game boss, I just could not hit them without taking damage.  It was a war of attrition in the end.

I only managed to get a multi-bonk that got over 10 hits once, one of those red dinosaurs against a wall.

The graphics did surprise me tbh, I didn't think this little thing could kick out such colourful sprites and backgrounds.

Anyway, skip to the score 10/10 :)

Cyber Core next

Dicer

Nice work, and welcome to the fold...

Best place to gather 1ups in inside the dino, the lil stringy guys multibounce real nice if you align them to the walls.

tbone3969

Love me some Bonk.  Welcome to the club.
"There's something out there in those trees and it ain't no man. We're all gonna die."

jtucci31

There's a cool thread to post all of your clears. It's a lot of fun and it motivates me to bear games as often as possible. Check it out and join the race!
https://www.pcengine-fx.com/forums/index.php?topic=6688.885

CrackTiger

You can avoid getting hit by mastering spinning and Bonking without using turbo switches.

This game is actually on the poor end of the spectrum as far as PC Engine color goes in existing games.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

SignOfZeta

I wish I knew enough Japanese to complete PCE games. MOON RUNES!!!!!
IMG

CrackTiger

I like how the 4-in-1 GoT Bonk intro has the same voice in the PCE demo discs, telling Japanese players "My name is Bonk".
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

VenomMacbeth

Quote from: guest on 11/27/2015, 02:28 PMI like how the 4-in-1 GoT Bonk intro has the same voice in the PCE demo discs, telling Japanese players "My name is Bonk".
Is it the same "oogah bonk" recording or did they actually re-record it in Japanese?
Quote from: Gogan on 08/01/2013, 09:54 AMPlay Turbografx.
Play the Turbografx. PLAY
THE TURBOGRAFX!!!!!!

Buh buh buh, I have almost all teh games evar.  I R TEH BESTEST COLLECTR!!

CrackTiger

Quote from: VenomMacbeth on 11/27/2015, 03:25 PM
Quote from: CrackTiger on 11/27/2015, 02:28 PMI like how the 4-in-1 GoT Bonk intro has the same voice in the PCE demo discs, telling Japanese players "My name is Bonk".
Is it the same "oogah bonk" recording or did they actually re-record it in Japanese?
Ooga Bonk. So the only time the star of the Genjin series is named in-game, it's "Bonk".

Edit: found a video:

[url=http://youtube.com/watch?v=f9lJD7h1NqY

PukeSter

Nice VictorRong! Here's some suggestions for easy but high quality PC Engine games, to ease you in.

Bonk 2 (you can farm lots of lives from the bonus levels and warp past stages if you get enough)
Download (stick with the default weapons)
Parasol Stars (farm continues, also 2 player!)
Final Soldier
Vigilante
Super Dodgeball
Genji Tsushin Agedama (stand in left corner when fighting 4th boss)
Aoi Blink (https://www.pcengine-fx.com/forums/index.php?topic=16424.msg336289#msg336289)

VictorRong

Cheers, will check out those games.

I'm almost finished with Cyber Core. I *think* I got to the end game boss, big red alien head dude at the end of level 7?  I've got serious earworm with this game!

NecroPhile

You're close, but there's one more level to go.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

blueraven

Congrats! Well done!

You only have 897 games or so to go.

:mrgreen:

TurboXray

Quote from: VictorRong on 12/01/2015, 03:26 PMCheers, will check out those games.

I'm almost finished with Cyber Core. I *think* I got to the end game boss, big red alien head dude at the end of level 7?  I've got serious earworm with this game!
I had to look that up. That a UK term?

Bonk's Revenge is a great game, with improved graphics and such, but the fun spinny time is nerfed. That's why I still go back to the first game more often.

SignOfZeta

Think about what you just wrote.

Quote from: guest on 11/27/2015, 02:28 PMI like how the 4-in-1 GoT Bonk intro has the same voice in the PCE demo discs, telling Japanese players "My name is Bonk".
IMG

VenomMacbeth

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 12/02/2015, 03:46 AMThink about what you just wrote.

I thought about it before I wrote it, silly.
Quote from: Gogan on 08/01/2013, 09:54 AMPlay Turbografx.
Play the Turbografx. PLAY
THE TURBOGRAFX!!!!!!

Buh buh buh, I have almost all teh games evar.  I R TEH BESTEST COLLECTR!!

VictorRong

Quote from: TurboXray on 12/02/2015, 03:05 AMI had to look that up. That a UK term?
I'm not sure, it's certainly used quite a lot in the UK when some tune just won't leave your head.  Like the 1st level music from Cyber Core....

ARGHHHH GET OUT OF MY HEAD!!

No, wait.  Stay...stay forever.

VictorRong

I think Cyber Core might take me a little while to complete... Those little blue things on level 8 are wiping me out...

esteban

Quote from: VictorRong on 12/04/2015, 03:37 AMI think Cyber Core might take me a little while to complete... Those little blue things on level 8 are wiping me out...
Just swing hard right or hard left BEFORE you think you have too...it becomes instinctual...there is a rhythm to it (granted I am very twitchy/reflex-dependent when I play).

Anyway, I love the music in Cyber Core. I wish the songs were longer before they looped.

https://junk.tg-16.com/audio/Cyber_Core/Level_8.mp3
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG